Shermans, 76 mm guns and WP shots

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Warhawks97

Shermans, 76 mm guns and WP shots

Post by Warhawks97 »

Since everybody seems to open their topics with their own ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4227&p=37895#p37895
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4226

I bring up my thoughts here with bord ideas in mind:

75 and 76 mm guns on shermans:
1. Give them all HE and White Phosphorus rounds instead of AP rounds. Only Armor doc shermans have special AP rounds available as well after Ammo supply unlock. TD´s receive special AP rounds via global upgrade in WSC or supply yard.
- The guns usually pen or dont pen, regardless of AP being active or not.
- WP shots would give them more tactical utility since shermans cant rely on armor or gun power alone like many other tanks. But they are afterall basically top tier standard tanks.

2. All shermans get a rapid fire ability the lasts a few seconds. The tank was known for its ergonomics and easy round and gun handling inside. Big guns get accurate shot abilites, guns and tanks like shermans or stuart can boost their rof for a certain duration.

Easy Eight:
-Once the HVSS is unlocked, the 76 sherman gets replaced by the E8 in armor doc and will cost the same as the 76 did. Or rather: Both would cost 380/50 fuel after mass-production unlock.
- The easy eight received penetration modifier gets increased from 0.82 to 0.8

The shermans currently dont really benefit much from AP rounds. There are targets that can be penetrated without special AP rounds, and those it cant pen are still hard to pen even with AP active and often makes you waste ammo. WP shots in combination of rapid fire at a certain vet lvl would help the tanks a lot more in combat (esspecially late game) as using stupid AP which at the end still dont change much on the outcome.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Krieger Blitzer

Re: Shermans, 76 mm guns and WP shots

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

That's a bit drastic compared to the thoughts both me & Consti brought up. You always go for these overhauls, Hawks.

We just wanted to make E8 more unique over 76 Shermans after a conversation we had on the Discord server, nothing more.

So, i really don't think any other changes are needed here.

Warhawks97

Re: Shermans, 76 mm guns and WP shots

Post by Warhawks97 »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 15:26
That's a bit drastic compared to the thoughts both me & Consti brought up. You always go for these overhauls, Hawks.

We just wanted to make E8 more unique over 76 Shermans after a conversation we had on the Discord server, nothing more.

So, i really don't think any other changes are needed here.

and i dont see a need for making things more unquie when one thing can just replace the other, while the stuff that should make a unit "unique" should basically be a standard thing.

I love how we keep adding abilties (or take away) for the sake of making stuff unique just for the sake of making things unique.

As of now, i dont even buy AP on shermans when playing AB or Inf doc. A single sherman that loads AP rounds wont change much on the outcome when facing a panther or tiger. What really changes the outcome in these fights is the position of the sherman and the Panther. Like how close are they to each other, how many shots can the sherman fire before being fired at, is it able to flank etc.

Sending 2-3 shermans as AB/Inf doc all lodaded with AP vs a Tiger with all loading AP just makes you waste 225 ammo. Enough to upgrade tons of rangers with zooks, shooting arty barrages, using AP on AT gun nests which will last longer in a 1 vs 1 engagment than a sherman would or using APHE with an M10 twice with much greater success rate.

So, since positioning is what actually matters for most shermans, esspecially for non armor doc shermans, i do think that having WP available for shermans in non armor docs is a lot more important than having WP on armor doc shermans which are currently the only shermans which i use AP rounds with since they get them for free after 3 CP.
Build more AA Walderschmidt