5.3.2 is terrible

Do you have a bug to report? Do this right here.
Krieger Blitzer

5.3.2 is terrible

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I will leave the hotkey bugs aside, as there is a separate topic particularly for those.

However; i'd like this topic to address the astonishingly squishy state of the latest patch.. for some reason; this release is full of weird glitches literally appearing out of nowhere... it almost feels like if the wrong file was patched onto Steam, or some sort of a "test version" where somebody was fiddling around with the game files here & there before uploading it... 5.3.2 certainly doesn't qualify as a live release, i'm honest when to say a patch is good or a patch is not. And i'm super sorry to say.. but 5.3.2 is just.. so bad, it almost feels like we are going backwards!

I don't even know from where to start, there are so many things that are just "strange" & "wrong".
it might be worth to mention i am not pointing fingers at anyone for the bugs.. after all, MarKr is doing his best to keep this game alive with updates.
Nevertheless; let's just talk about 2 bugs i encountered in my first game straight away:
- Naked 105 Howitzer is only unlocked with Flak88 unlock.
- Naked Flak88 is only unlocked with Grille unlock!!!!!

- or this one by MEFISTO:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4865&p=44191#p44191

[A LOT MORE BUGS ARE TO BE INSERTED HERE LATER...]

i'm having a hard time trying to figure out how the game unlock conditions could change all by themselves/on their own unless the wrong file went live? There were no changes made to DEF doc at all in this patch, so how come? Patching the game on Steam only requires uploading a small file with all the updates... No? I can only understand such errors happening when Bk Mod patches (back in the old days) had to re-compress the game files each time for a new release.. but how is this happening with Bk Mod on Steam???

i suggest patching the game back to 5.3.1 if possible & then fixing the rest from there.. 5.3.2 is just messed up, very honestly told.
So many hidden stuff broken here and there... One would need to re-test every single unit each time a patch comes out or what???
Anyone has an explanation to how these bugs occurred ??

Meeeh.

EDIT:
just a little something to say regarding the hotkey change(s):
Untitled.png
i understand that it's already acknowledged that the hotkeys & maps still have plans to be revamped.. however; i think we shouldn't leave the hotkeys messed up for too long, otherwise we will keep getting new negative reviews on Steam.

idliketoplaybetter

Re: 5.3.2 is terrible

Post by idliketoplaybetter »

So many drama for few bugs amd MANY MORE to come later?

Very first time in my life I sense negative intrigue towards something, somehow..

I play this patch a lot (relatively speaking) and honestly saying didn't notice a thing.
Like for real, no such drastic effect on the game that would ruin my experience and I had to make wall of text saying how we end up here.
I never used a single hotkey, maybe that is that..

Thanks for the still coming patches and changes, Kwok and Mark.
"You can argue only with like-minded people"

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

As for the "how did bugs jump out of nowhere"? - It is connected to the hotkeys. Every unit or ability has its hotkey set in its file. The game works the way that there is a "vanilla" file with all the units, abilities and upgrades, and then BK has its "base" file with changes made by the mod and then there is a "patch" file that contains new changes. When the game loads, it first loads the vanila file, then checks the "base" BK file and overwrites the duplicate vanilla files with the BK ones, and then it checks the "patch" file and overwrites the duplicates again with the "newest" versions.

When I worked on the hotkeys, some units and abilities are in the "patch" file, but some units and abilities haven't been touched since 4.9.0 (or when was the last "life merge") and so I had to pull these abilities and units from the BK "base" file. I had work with two Corsix windows opened and it is possible (or in this case pretty sure) that I overlooked a newer version of a unit/ability in the "patch" file and pulled an older one from the "base" file. The older ones having unlock settings from older versions of the mod before some unlocks were moved around.

That being said, the live version is literally the same version that had been sitting on the beta branch for over a month. Had these reports come during the beta stage, they would have been fixed before the live release. So few reports actually came, that we had to push the game live to actually get some feedback. I'm not pointing any fingers but the community also participates on the development by testing the beta branch and reporting problems. No reports, no fixes and game goes live in a state that "it almost feels like we are going backwards".

"Problem" with getting used to the new hotkeys - again, it was in the beta for over a month, we were willing to revert it if there were enough people against it. One person said something like "I liked it better before" and that was it.

EDIT:
That being said, I follow the hotkey/bug reports and fix what is reported. I preffer fixing as much as possible per update so I was waiting if more reports come. It has been quiet for some time so I'll finish it up and we can release an updated version in a few days.

Krieger Blitzer

idliketoplaybetter wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 07:23
So many drama for few bugs amd MANY MORE to come later?

Thanks for the still coming patches and changes, Kwok and Mark.
The post i made following so many DMs on Discord & individual comments on YT complaining about the state of the game.. i had little time myself to investigate; but then i had the chance to play a bit last night & majority of what was reported to me was true, so i just had to write something about it.

So no, don't worry; this post isn't aimed at anyone... i know MarKr & Kwok r doing a great job, i just needed to alert them. Also, you see the explanation MarKr just posted?? I already know what he is trying to tell.. but not everyone else, so it is good for the others to read, so that they understand how the bugs occured out of sudden.
MarKr wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 09:15
As for the "how did bugs jump out of nowhere"? - It is connected to the hotkeys. Every unit or ability has its hotkey set in its file. The game works the way that there is a "vanilla" file with all the units, abilities and upgrades, and then BK has its "base" file with changes made by the mod and then there is a "patch" file that contains new changes. When the game loads, it first loads the vanila file, then checks the "base" BK file and overwrites the duplicate vanilla files with the BK ones, and then it checks the "patch" file and overwrites the duplicates again with the "newest" versions.

When I worked on the hotkeys, some units and abilities are in the "patch" file, but some units and abilities haven't been touched since 4.9.0 (or when was the last "life merge") and so I had to pull these abilities and units from the BK "base" file. I had work with two Corsix windows opened and it is possible (or in this case pretty sure) that I overlooked a newer version of a unit/ability in the "patch" file and pulled an older one from the "base" file. The older ones having unlock settings from older versions of the mod before some unlocks were moved around.

That being said, the live version is literally the same version that had been sitting on the beta branch for over a month. Had these reports come during the beta stage, they would have been fixed before the live release. So few reports actually came, that we had to push the game live to actually get some feedback. I'm not pointing any fingers but the community also participates on the development by testing the beta branch and reporting problems. No reports, no fixes and game goes live in a state that "it almost feels like we are going backwards".

"Problem" with getting used to the new hotkeys - again, it was in the beta for over a month, we were willing to revert it if there were enough people against it. One person said something like "I liked it better before" and that was it.

EDIT:
That being said, I follow the hotkey/bug reports and fix what is reported. I preffer fixing as much as possible per update so I was waiting if more reports come. It has been quiet for some time so I'll finish it up and we can release an updated version in a few days.
Great post, i think this should be a good enough explanation to whoever reads, so no worries... As for the hotkeys; i personally like the new concept as it's more organsized, but if it turns out to be so much of a hassle, then i'd recommend reverting it.. up to you tho.

I will keep tracking bugs & will come back to post them here in bulk as soon as i have the time.
Cheers.

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

MarKr wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 09:15

EDIT:
im against it

idliketoplaybetter

"i just needed to alert them"

By calling patch terrible and not testing anything urself as well as providing them with barely 3 glitches yourself and basing it on random comments from people who arent even known, with that hotkeys were supposed to be changed in a first place..

I hope someone believes you, cause it's real Karen style.

Krieger Blitzer

18 Oct 2022, 16:42
"i just needed to alert them"

By calling patch terrible and not testing anything urself as well as providing them with barely 3 glitches yourself and basing it on random comments from people who arent even known, with that hotkeys were supposed to be changed in a first place..

I hope someone believes you, cause it's real Karen style.
Do you have a problem?

idliketoplaybetter

You are obviously very alligned with your words and actions after years.

Again, I just hope anyone can read through this and decide your intentions by what is done.

Krieger Blitzer

18 Oct 2022, 18:13
You are obviously very alligned with your words and actions after years.

Again, I just hope anyone can read through this and decide your intentions by what is done.
The post is about the current state of v5.3.2 and any bugs\glitches related.. if you have some yourself to report; add up to the topic & provide them.
if you don't have anything to add, then you don't need to discuss here my intentions\actions\attitude or whatnot.

idliketoplaybetter

I have already expressed my impressions on current state on bugs and glitches up above, it was you who tried to explain your intentions by saying what and why you made such a helpfull initial post.

3 bugs, of which 2 were already talked about on forum by other people and few screenshots of random guys who arent even in touch with patchlogs and tons of drama text around it including rhetoric questioning on who's fault and how we end up in this mess and your advice on how to fix this.

Again, yours stays with you.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Let’s chill out.

Noted on the bugs and steam feedback. I’ve been tracking the steam feedback and discussions closely lately. So we hear them all. Been talking to community members about the hot keys and bugs almost nonstop lol. All the negative feedback probably made me come out of the cave and play BK again lol. Haven’t played in maybe like a month and a half and prior to that not much. But just the past two weeks I’ve gotten like at least on average 2 games per day.

Next patch should be cleaner. We know it will be a critical one, so will be polished not just for hot keys but maps as well. So that is also what’s taking extra time. Wouldn’t be good if we kept pushing bug fixes but introduce new problems.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Mood

Post by Mood »

I won't comment on any bugs since I don't play often enough to notice any, but the new keybinds were really annoying at the start (mainly R going from "reinforce" to "retreat"), but once you muddle through it after a dozen of games or so you start to get used to it.

Malarki83

Post by Malarki83 »

Also noticed, the fortified 105 howitzer in the german def doc only works when using the "FERN" rounds ability.
When trying to shoot normal HE rounds, it just sits there doing nothing, sometimes 1 or 2 rounds and that´s it.
And don´t know if this bug existed before, since i didn´t use the 251/7 that much, but when trying to build an emplaced PAK, the Sdkfz spents some time driving around like a dumb till it starts building. And when, it puts itself between the emplacment and the frontline, though there´s enough space around it.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Is it possible to have more than one beta at a time?

Perhaps there could be a "hotkey" beta that has the old hotkey scheme and that would be compatible with main patch (cross play, in other words), so people could essentially play 2 versions of the same game, with only hotkey schemes being different.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Malarki83 wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 11:44
Also noticed, the fortified 105 howitzer in the german def doc only works when using the "FERN" rounds ability.
When trying to shoot normal HE rounds, it just sits there doing nothing, sometimes 1 or 2 rounds and that´s it.
And don´t know if this bug existed before, since i didn´t use the 251/7 that much, but when trying to build an emplaced PAK, the Sdkfz spents some time driving around like a dumb till it starts building. And when, it puts itself between the emplacment and the frontline, though there´s enough space around it.
The howitzer thing is a known issue. The static howitzers sometimes decide not to shoot. They rotate, elevate the barrel and then nothing happens. We thought we fixed it some time ago, but this report shows it is probably not fixed completely.

Building the emplacements with HT could be some sort of path finding problem. This is more map dependent than unit/ability problem. If it happens, give the HT order to move a little bit to the side and try to place the emplacement a bit to the side.
Walderschmidt wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 13:58
Is it possible to have more than one beta at a time?

Perhaps there could be a "hotkey" beta that has the old hotkey scheme and that would be compatible with main patch (cross play, in other words), so people could essentially play 2 versions of the same game, with only hotkey schemes being different.

Wald
I don't think it is possible. The hotkey changes are made in the unit files. The game checks if the files on both sides are identical and if they are not, the game desyncs.

Also more betas would practically means working with two separate versions of the game and then merging only some changes from one and some from the other will be pain in the ass.

W4rSkuLL

Post by W4rSkuLL »

Have you tried using Chat GPT to help you eradicate bugs and to avoid desyncs. I think it can help you remove bugs if you give it the code of the game and mod. It very clever.