AT Gun HE Rounds

Do you have a bug to report? Do this right here.
Wake

AT Gun HE Rounds

Post by Wake »

The patch that changed the AT gun pack-up time also affected the heavy AT guns that can fire HE rounds. Notably, the US 76mm AT gun and the British 17 pounder. When you activate the HE rounds ability for the US 76mm AT Gun, which is timed, the gun must "un-pack" itself like it is getting ready to move. During this time, the timer on the HE ability is counting down. Thus, the gun can only fire a few HE rounds before the timer reaches 0.

Prior to the patch that added the repack time, this was not a problem. It is still not a problem with the PaK 36 because the light AT guns have a very short pack-up time.

To fix this, can the ability timer for the HE rounds on the heavy AT guns be increased?

The British 17 pounder has a similar problem, but its HE round is a single-use shot (like most tanks). I'm not sure if this can be fixed.
Last edited by Wake on 09 May 2021, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Walderschmidt

Re: AT Gun HE Rounds

Post by Walderschmidt »

Yes please.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Because latest patches have made it so reload times for AT guns was significantly reduced, we can reexamine how we go about teardown times in general.

In the beginning teardown times were meant to prevent players from exploiting AT guns to by pass reloads. We made our solution to be Reload time < Teardown time + Aim time.
Because reload time has reduced, we have more liberty to reduce teardown time. Maybe this will make HE shots a bit more viable.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Does there absolutely have to be a teardown animation when changing to HE rounds?
I don't know how these abilities work from a technical standpoint, but my guess would be that a secondary weapon with it's own target tables is enabled and disabled again after the ability ends.

So if this weapon swapping inevitably causes the teardown, the only "real" fix for this would be redesigning the ability to modify values like area of effect, accuracy vs. infantry, armor penetration of the main weapon for the time of activation. But this appears like a bitch of a workload.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Diablo wrote:
17 May 2021, 15:36
Does there absolutely have to be a teardown animation when changing to HE rounds?
I don't know how these abilities work from a technical standpoint, but my guess would be that a secondary weapon with it's own target tables is enabled and disabled again after the ability ends.

So if this weapon swapping inevitably causes the teardown, the only "real" fix for this would be redesigning the ability to modify values like area of effect, accuracy vs. infantry, armor penetration of the main weapon for the time of activation. But this appears like a bitch of a workload.

yes, it basically changes the weapon. And using modifiers? Well, interesting idea but how would all these modifier look like? Like you would need a huge accuracy modifier so to not miss infantry soldiers (bc AP generally have low chances to hit them) but at the same time use massive pen modifer as to make sure you wont pen tanks. But then again you might end up bouncing even from sliders etc etc... The AoE effect is more complex than many would believe. Using modifiers to modify an AP round into an HE is basically impossible. They are faaar too different.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Diablo wrote:

It's a bug that I don't think they've been able to fix.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Diablo wrote:
There is a limited number of things that can be changed with modifiers. AoE settings are not on the list so changing AP in HE with modifiers won't work.