Churchill MKVII Target priority

Do you have a bug to report? Do this right here.
Red

Churchill MKVII Target priority

Post by Red »

Dear devs,

Could you please check the target priority of the Churchill with HE active? It seems to be prioritizing tanks over infantry, and possibly "normal" infantry before AT infantry.

Thanks!

Krieger Blitzer

Re: Churchill MKVII Target priority

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Actually, all tanks with HE mode currently prioritize tanks over inf at the moment.
Not so much of a big deal, since you can still immobilize tanks with HE rounds.. but ya, wouldn't mind a target priority fix for HE modes.

crazzy501

Post by crazzy501 »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:41
Actually, all tanks with HE mode currently prioritize tanks over inf at the moment.
Not so much of a big deal, since you can still immobilize tanks with HE rounds.. but ya, wouldn't mind a target priority fix for HE modes.
that's not true. In ma games when tank in he mode he prioritizes infantry

Red

Post by Red »

I experienced it again yesterday, Churchill MK VII in HE mode going for an observation point, then german infantry comes (AT + sturm pioniers) and Churchill does not switch to the infantry automatically (and the sturm pios ran close enough to flame him, so definitly in HE range).
Once I manually told him to target the infantry he did not go back to the observation post until all the infantry retreated, but the first switch had to be manual.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

The targetting is a bit more complicated than it might seem. For example, every possible target type has a "priority" value but at the same time the value is modified based on distance to the shooting unit so e.g. OPs can have higher base priority than infantry and that is why the churchill targets the OP first but when the AT infantry gets closer to shoot the AT, at certain distance their priority becomes higher because they got the extra "priority points" for being closer. Giving a manual attack order also "just" adds a lot of "priority points" to the thing you click on, so that would explain why the churchill kept shooting at infantry when you manually told the churchill to shoot them (at least I think it works that way). I can take a look at it and at least change the base priority values.

What should the priorities be? Infantry > emplacements > bunkers > buildings > OPs > (the rest)?

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

For HE? Yes.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Red

Post by Red »

Sorry for the late reply!
For HE, I would propose: Infantry > AT guns > Emplacements (including stationary artillery without sandbags) > light vehicles > bunkers > buildings > everything except OPs > OPs

Reasoning for this proposal is, that HE is primarily against infantry; then AT guns are basically slow infantry with a big gun that kann kill tanks well; then all kind of emplacements, which inclused stationary AT guns, which normally take longer to dismantle than mobile AT guns; after that light vehicles, because you can still often 1-shot them with HE; followed by bunkers (takes a lot of time); then other stuff and last the OPs. The reason I propose to do the OPs last is because the neither fire at the unit in question nor at other units. And using He on a tank might well immobilise it, which at least for me would be preferable if this was without manual command compared to attacking the OP without manual command.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Red wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 12:32
Sorry for the late reply!
For HE, I would propose: Infantry > AT guns > Emplacements (including stationary artillery without sandbags) > light vehicles > bunkers > buildings > everything except OPs > OPs

Reasoning for this proposal is, that HE is primarily against infantry; then AT guns are basically slow infantry with a big gun that kann kill tanks well; then all kind of emplacements, which inclused stationary AT guns, which normally take longer to dismantle than mobile AT guns; after that light vehicles, because you can still often 1-shot them with HE; followed by bunkers (takes a lot of time); then other stuff and last the OPs. The reason I propose to do the OPs last is because the neither fire at the unit in question nor at other units. And using He on a tank might well immobilise it, which at least for me would be preferable if this was without manual command compared to attacking the OP without manual command.
agree.
Its anoying when it always changes to the OP and misses on Inf and end up dead
Nerf Mencius

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Red wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 12:32
I've tried to set it this way. In 5.3.1 it will be like this only for 75mm Churchills and Cromwells in HE mode. It takes time to put in all the values and it is not possible to just copy-paste it for all HE tanks. So if the settings work for Churchill/Cromwell, it will be set the same way for other HE vehicles in 5.3.2.

Red

Post by Red »

Many thanks, highly appreciated!
Looking forward to testing it to provide feedback.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

cool stuff
Nerf Mencius

Red

Post by Red »

Just picking up on the topic, during my 5.3.1 testing I noticed that the Churchills with HE still seems to prioritise tanks and halftracks over infantry.
But the OP seem to be last in the priority list, so this already is quite good, thanks!

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Red wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 14:42
Just picking up on the topic, during my 5.3.1 testing I noticed that the Churchills with HE still seems to prioritise tanks and halftracks over infantry.
But the OP seem to be last in the priority list, so this already is quite good, thanks!
indeed, i experienced the same.
Nerf Mencius