[BLITZKREIG MOD KICKING YOUR ASS?!] Newbies guide

A place to debate and share game or general military strategy/tactics.
TANEBIRD

[BLITZKREIG MOD KICKING YOUR ASS?!] Newbies guide

Post by TANEBIRD »

I find that this section of the forum is very useful, but for new people kind of intimidating. They dont know what a lot of this shit means. Well, hopefully this will change that:

1. Opening is super important. You almost always want the middle or cross roads near the middle. Make one or two buildings and rush those pioneers or engineers to the middle asap. Get a good cover spot that they'll have trouble flanking without taking serious damage. At the beginning, know when you're beat, but take a harder pounding than you usually would here because sometimes once that middle is in their possession it STAYS there the whole. Fucking. Game. Giving up the middle or the important flank positions is tantamount to losing right off the bat almost 7/10 times. Once the enemy sets up and keeps his first attack group diverse in unit type and armor type, it's fucking over 9/10 times.

2. This ain't Company of Heroes, a flammenwehrfer will incinerate everyone you love in milliseconds. You need to run when you're on foot. Armored cars are especially fucking dangerous for infantry. If you're out of cover, even the jeep/motorcycle/schwimmwagen/bren carrier will cut a rifleman squad the hell down very quickly. Familiarize yourself with the unit types, and armor types as soon as possible. Knowing when to run is what might keep your men alive and your armor undestroyed. Know when to run and why you're doing it. If there's a 76mm AT gun shooting at your tank, it may already be too late. But you should probalby face it forwards, and move back in a zig zag motion if you want it to get out of there alive. If the AT gun was set up and camoflauged, you're probably already gone. Now, that you know whats up there, you need to know what to bring in. This would be on foot unit types out of his arc of fire. Bring them in from the side or behind. Or mortars can work, but not effectively, because once you start firing he'll know whats up and move it back. Even a armored car can be useful here. As long as you are not in its arc. Know that this particular AT gun has a small arc of fire, and it's very un-mobile. If you kill 3 of the AT gun squad, it cannot move anymore. This thing is extremely heavy. Don't fire from the front if you can help it, ESPECIALLY with armor. An armored car may be your best best believe it or not. It should NEVER stand still here, flank him and kill it. Now. Here's the hard part. Don't leave that AT gun out there, unless you want more Germans to take it over. You don't want that. Blow it up, or take it over yourself. This is just one type of encounter we're talking about here. I'll get into this specifically later on.

3. Theres no "damage chart" per unit. It's a kill strike list of what that unit HAS killed, not what it's effective againsts. Learn what units counter what other units extremely quickly. Get used to buying shit you normally wouldn't just to test it out. If you dont know what it does, test that unit out on all types of shit. If it sucks, ask yourself did it suck because I brought it in at the wrong time does it suck because I used it incorrectly? What type of unit SHOULD I have attacked with, when should I have run and most importantly will it be worth the resources next time. This is a game of attrition, you're trying to bleed your enemies resources down until you can attack his base. You should be attacking if you are not defending. You should usually not be defending if you can help it. World War II was a different in tactics, the blitzkreig was effective because the tactics had not been used before in that sense. That's why it was so effective. The Germans had basically brought a completely different type of warfare to the front. Paratroopers had never been used before in that sense either, which is why Paris was taken after they flew over the marginout line. Also, the germans moved through a neutral country regardless of their orders. The line was completely taken over once they had the capital. In this game, if you are not attacking you are dying very likely. There are few points to defend, but your entire strategy being defense will result in your death every time. If you do not take the advantages when they are given to you you will die eventually because you're just not aggressive enough. I will also go into this later on.

4. Dont fuck around with switching units for your army until you really know what you're doing. You may not have AT for the first half of the game. If you're up against tanks and armored car you are completely fucked once they find out. What I mean by this is the unit "swaps" in the multiplayer list.
One good swap is replacing the Wehrmacht motorcycle with the Schwimmwagen. It takes more hits, even if it's not as fast. It can also go toe to toe
with the jeep. However, don't mess around with the swaps until you're much better. You simply wont know why you're getting your ass kicked and it
will be 9/10 because you made a bad swap, and thusly certain units aren't available when they need to be.

5. The win and loss ratios... they're just numbers. They mean nothing. You want to win I understand this, but if you keep playing games where you'll DEFINATELY win because you know they're worse than you, you will never improve. Don't be the veteran player that when put up againsts another
veteran, gets his shit kicked in because he's been playing medium rank players and new people like a pussy. If you're not constantly challenging yourself then you're playing this incorrectly. This also goes the other way around. If you're new, dont play veteran players. They will destroy you every time. You won't even know what hit your or why it was so effective because it'll be happening so fast.

6. Save your replays. Especially when the game seemed very close. Then watch and see what you did wrong. This game is very chaotic once the shit hits the fan, you have be able to take a step back and just WATCH the game instead. Ask yourself "when did I hand the victory over" and "what should I have done instead?". It usually never a single point or a single unit, but a group of errors if you will. Watch everything. Take fog of war off, and watch your oppenent instead. Watch yourself. See why what he did was so effective or why it wasn't, do the same for yourself. Being able to just watch it is a huge bonus strategically later on. You can save your replays at the end "points" screen. I advice doing this. If you were completely destroyed from the beginning on, the replay probably won't help much, because your opponent is on a completely different level and you will not be able to keep up with him.

TANEBIRD

Re: [BLITZKREIG MOD KICKING YOUR ASS?!] Newbies guide

Post by TANEBIRD »

6. This ones a biggie. Some units aren't buildable until you pick a doctrine and usually these units are doctrine specific. What I mean is, if you make your american base all the way to motor pool, you'll see that there is a unit missing. That's because (the unit is supposed to be a m16 or m15a2 multiple gun carraige) the unit is dependent on your doctrine choice. Infantry and Airborne get the m16. Which fire from the front and all angles, but armor gets the m15a2 which fires from the back, but has a cannon that will take out armor the m16 would have no chance againsts. Realize what this changes. You dont attack enemies by backing into them as a half track. The m15a2 is much more defensively orriented, despite the better cannon. This cannon will shred anything alive, but it needs to be used WITH other armor, with other infantry types because otherwise, unless you're fighting a single group of pioneers, it's gonna get blown the fuck up. Send it in AFTER the initial shockwave attack. Let it be something that comes from the side. Realize how much more OPEN it is to AT attacks now that you have to literally back up into the front line. Other unit types that are avaible per doctrine (and keep in mind I'm also a new player so I might not remember all of this shit) are : 50 cal jeep for infantry doctrine, armored 50 cal jeep for airborne and jeep with m72 recoilless rife for armor. Also, some of these doctrines have their own callins as well. Armor can callin tanks that aren't available for anybody else. These include but are not limited to, The jumbo sherman, the easy 8 sherman, pershing ace or super pershing (dependent on your choice) and etc etc. whereas infantry can call in close combat squads with shotguns and thompsons. They can call in ranger heavy infantry support, with a slightly armored half track as well. Airborne can call in obviously , 101st, and 82nd as well as headquarter squads. You'll want to get acquanted with how to drop them as well. They can land anywhere you can see, but that doesn't mean you land them in the middle of a fight.

7. Infantry micro managing is going to be the way you win. Infantry, even to the armored doctrines, are the only types that can cap these resource points. Never cap which being fired at if you can help it, it will let them destroy you most times. There are a few exceptions. Is this point going to cut them off resource wise? Is point the middle? Is the beginning of the game? Do I NEED this point or should I run? Ask these questions to yourself whenever possible. Knowing when to run and when stay is what will lead you to victory. Also. Theres no such thing as non-annihlation games online. You kill them until they are all dead.

8. Play all the new maps you can. They're all really good even if some resources dont seem panned out correctly. Try to cut them off when you can, but dont die in droves OVER AND OVER attempting it. Sometimes you have to know when you're beaten, and take the fight somewhere else. A good strategy when you find yourself fighting a defensive player is to attack on a different part of the map. Defensively minded player are never in a 1v1 game but they will show up in 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4. They are nothing but pain in the asses. They may very well shut down entire portions of the map. But know this. He's not attacking. You can hit him with mortars, howitzers, rocket attacks whatever the fuck you have, that can attack them without taking hits, is what you want to use. Eventually defensive players always bleed their resources dry. If you 1v1 a defensive player and do it correctly he loses EVERY time. He has basically set up a line where he is not expecting to move past. Use this to your advantage. Tear his ass up. I find that most defensive players NEVER know when to switch to offense. Meaning... they usually have created an army for DEFENSE not attack, because it's gonna be one or the other no matter what. A defensive minded army is actually playing againsts itself, in this anyway.

9 Recon is everything. Get used to spawning recon, moving them to a position where they hopefully will not be murdered, then keep an eye on him all game. When units get blown up in one or two shells, knowing that tank is on the way from further out is very helpful. Use camoflauge. Recon units are countered by Schwimmwagens, Jeeps, Armored cars (especially the scout variety) and any unit basically that finds it. Once he's discovered, he's probably dead. He going into the fight with no weapons. Just a pair of binoculars. Know when to put recon inside a building, know when to keep him outside. The enemy maybe trying garrison units inside of it, but it wont let him, he'll immediatly know that theres a recon unit inside of it. Recon should probably be one of the first units you make. Using him correctly and keeping him alive may be the loss or win of a match. Effective players ESPECIALLY veterans have always got a recon spying on you. Recon should take paths normal units shouldnt. Like in St. Hillaire, maybe brign your recon unit through the marshes instead of the roads and shit. You dont want him bumping into any unit that doesn't have his uniform on. Personally I can't reccomend any really good strategies on this one. You want him ahead of everyone else, but at the same time, make it so that if he has to run back to base, you have a unit to fight whatevers following him effectively. You can hear through fog of war, is your recon unit near a jeep? Pull back everytime. They will destroy him within seconds. I really myself constantly get my recon unit killed. It's very hard to figure out where to put him and once the shit hits the fan, he's the last person you're worried about. I have lost games that I should've won because someone was able to get a recon unit next to my base, and basically, counter every single unit I was making. Then, they also knew the best times to call in barrages, etc etc. Recon is important as hell. Just because he ain't got no goddamn weapons, doesn't mean he's useless. This unit has good viewing radius, and the ability to use binoculars if you're not in camo. Please don't use binoculars as a new player. It will increase your sight radius but it will make it very obvious he's there. Camoflauge with this unit and the sniper. Use it effectively and you can control the game. Most importantly RECON PREVENTS FLANKING MANEOUVRES FROM BEING EFFECTIVE because you were able to change your strategy and they didn't know you saw them coming.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

10. Today I learned that in the battle of attrition, the ammount of destruction that takes place is usually worse than other more one sided victories. The terrain is a HUGE deal in this game. Make sure you're constantly using the ALT button to SWING your view around. ESPECIALLY when requiring AT turrets to hit someone from behind. If the shot has something blocking it, they WONT take it even to blow the blocking object up.

The camo with some of these weapons is VERY effective when used right. Make sure that you don't get caught with your pants down. Especially the 76 mm AT gun. It takes 5 people almost half a minute to turn it around. So if you're facing the wrong way and anything comes from the other side of your blind corner.. .well.. they're not gonna make it.

Set your AT guns up intelligently. Make them camo. But most importantly REMEMBER when they are camoed because move orders will not effect them. You'll be telling it to go somewhere and it'll be ignoring the order. Camoing with a AT gun should in a non obvious place, it should be done near bushes or trees, and once you get that first shot, you should be thinking about it's next spot, because a good player will bring mortars in everytime. Have a good angle that will firstly fire upon side or behind enemy tanks. You may even consider (as a vet player) to tell it to hold fire so it doesn't waste that bonus first attack damage on some infantry that came in before the tank. Also, the 37 mm AT gun is much more maneuverable, but wont penetrate half of the armor. It has a greater arc of fire, requires less people to use it, and comes with a cannister round. If you dont know what this is, it's a very dangerous munition to use. Usually you should be retreating from infantry as a AT gun. Instead, use your cannister round around a blind corner but NEVER attack with it, it should be a defensive move everytime. Let THEM come into YOUR arc of fire, don't seek them out. If you're close to them and they've no cover, it will destroy them every time. But only if you use it correctly.

11. Treat hedgerows with respect. They make it IMPOSSIBLE to reach mortars the way you need to sometimes. The enemy will know this. Any kind of artillery is also very effective. Don't try to bait your enemies into firing at you unless you KNOW they're out of munitions. Playing today on Hedgerow War my units were often placed into clumps despite opposite orders. It's just a kind of way that the units will move or bump into eachother sometimes in their traverse through the enviroment. Hedgerows are 10-12 foot tall walls of bush that cannot be seen through. Usually tanks didn't drive through them because panzershrek or bazooka ambushes made it too easy for them to get blown immediately the ♥♥♥♥ up, not to mention anti-tank traps can flip tanks or cause the engine block to crush through the tank blowing it up immediately. Usually LARGE trenches however, were the reason this was not standard practice. Once you can get m10 wolverines or crocodiles with the bulldozer USE THEM. The extension on the front will let them break through without entirely commiting themselves to the followthrough.

12. Make sure you aren't hitting the wrong key buttons. Hold position is amazing for anti-tank and AT guns and snipers who have a tendency to be led astray quite easily. After being told to attack, they usually don't stop until the enemy is dead. This means if he retreats knowingly, he can lead your AT guns into an ambush or some other unfavorable situation. You should ask yourself.. "is his health actually at risk here? what was the point of his move? should I go in or will I be getting killed because I went too far when I should'nt have. War is consistently a continously changing blob from overhead. It is something that reacts and counter reacts. If you know your enemy but he doesn't know you you will win everytime as long you have the same ammount and type of units. If you don't know yourself or your enemy prepare for defeat. If neither of you know eachother it will definately be a tie. In war theres no win or lose, it's getting through it alive or not. Knowledge surpasses everything. A smart commander is worth 2:1 ratio of a enemy with a dumb one. Even 3:1, but this also considers many different factors. Try not hinge yourself on this one just yet.

13. Camoflauged AT guns are the worst goddamn thing you can run into with a tank. It always (especially from the side) that your tank engine is either blown the fuck up, or having severe trouble at the least. AT guns know where to fire at what type of tank to cause the engine to get fucked up everytime. If your tank is leading your attack, ask yourself, where would I put my AT guns here, and adjust accordingly. AT guns in a good spot will blow up any armor as long as it can penetrate. If it's set up well, it can even take out armored cars effectively, which usually isn't the case. Instead, maybe send in infantry first, on your push, then react from there. Tanks, generally, in world war II were infantry support NOT anti infantry. Most of the AT or anti-tank units have a ambush ability. Some of them will blow your tank up faster than SHIT. Use them intelligently. Don't waste tanks and get them killed by a unit that cost less manpower and absolutely no gas. In a war of attrition that is a fail everytime.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

14. Learn the different tank types. Even if a tank LOOKS like the other panzer IVs, it may not be an infantry support style of tank. Using ALL the armies allows you to realize the disadvantages and advantages of those units and armor. I cannot stress this enough. Nobody (well maybe the germans) wants to play as the wehrmach, but, doing so will allow you to realize their disadvantages. Their advantages as well. Look no one wants to be the nazis, but eventually I garantee you will be forced to play them so you might as well get good at them now. None of these armies are the same. Especially doctrine wise. Learn what strengths each has and play it againsts them later on. Learn what type of tanks fit what role. Generally, Shermans are meant for infantry support. Sending a sherman in by itself is always a bad move. Wait until you have some kind infantry support or at least an armored car. Some tanks are called "tank hunters" these tanks exists solely to destroy other tanks. Who would've thought? Some tanks fit a ANTI AIRCRAFT style of role and are thusly very effective on infantry units. Some tanks are solely anti infantry, and usually anti-garrison as a result. Know what types of tanks to get and when. Whenever pushing, put your infantry behind the tank, but not when it's about to blow up. Some tanks and armored cars will make an explosion much larger than others. Don't use these as cover. For example, the walking stuka german halftrack is a 6 rocket firing halftrack, the ammount of munitions on the inside of it will cause a devestating explosion. Keep him away from your other units. There is a unit like this in every army of this game find out who it is and react accordingly.

15. If you want to improve your game, it's not going to happen through computer stomp styles of game. Theres no shame in getting your bearings with them, but they're just too inconsistent in difficulty on this mod. I'm not sure why and it does still replicate a human player in many ways, but.... a computer can never be human and a human can never be a computer. A human player can be straight devious. It can be incredibly aggressive or it can dig in like a tick and let you come to it. Human player can have differing strategies. A computer (despite this being the best game of all time strategy wise) will not vary as much. Its actual difficulty is really hard on some maps. It plays differently than us, gets more resources and the advantage is very obvious sometimes. Then on other maps (especially bridge style maps) they're easy as hell even on higher difficulties. The computer also doesn't really use many off-map artillery strikes which is ridiculous. Generally the computer doesn't IMMEDIATELY retreat in certain situations where there can be no victory and only loss. This a skilled player will do every time. He will fight to the death when theres reason, but he wont sacrifice his men for reasons unknown. He may LOSE them in his error, but he doesn't waste resources he doesn't need to.

16. Dont play out of your skill set. Ask either me or some of the other <100 game players to play. Don't play games with people that have 2000 wins or their rank is like Oberschutzegeneral or Field Marshall when you are a private first class because their ability will be SO far ahead of yours you wont even know what really happens. Getting your ass kicked TOO hard is something you cannot learn from. But a fairer fight will allow you to learn and you'll take more with you. Plus getting your ass kicked nonstop will make you uninstall this shit I garantee it.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

This is all I'll be posting for now. Try to read it and adjust your strategies accordingly. Remember, this comes from someone with a 62 win 78 loss record, so I'm definately not Napolean here, but I will call things out that you might need to know going in. This guide is not a NAZI-proof strategy. It's basically for the new player, who is getting his ass kicked nonstop and doesn't really know why. If you will skip this entire guide, take this one thing with you: SAVE AND REPLAY your games. Watch them over and realize what you did wrong in losses, and what you did right in wins.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Saving replays and rewatching them certainly is key!

That and recon.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Okay, now I'm going to get into the Americans. The new patch is a doozy. But first a few tips:

1. Make your doctrine choices hidden for as long as you can. Admitting your doctrine will cause a good enemy to start countering already. If you're infantry doc, dont go immediately into CQC squads and have them in the fight like right off the bat. Your enemy will realize that you're infantry and start figuring out how to react to this with a lot more time now. He'll know to look for howitzers, look for ranger trucks, look for just about anything that would be your disadvantage.

2. At the same time, use your points wisely, you can lose because you picked the wrong shit first and it happens often. Player needed infantry, but went into howitzers. What the fuck you need a long tom barrage for if you're barely capping 190 munitions tops and the enemy isn't attacking with tanks.... Use your points wisely basically.

3. Veterancy makes all the difference. Faster grenades, faster movement, less supression, faster everything really, longer sprint, further view etc etc. Use it to your advantage and don't let veteran squads get murdered by carelessness.

----------------------------------------------------
The only one I've got a ton of experience with new patch wise is infantry doctrine

Here are its strengths.

a. Infantry. They can be made faster, and cheaper. They can be armed cheaper. They can be reinforced faster and cheaper.
b. Infantry types: include heavy infantry Rangers, and CQC squad. Ranger callins are DIFFERENT from the rangers you make at base. They come automatically with 2 bazookas in a 6 man squad. Be sure when fighting tanks to get good cover if not garrison and once you do, hitting the hold position will be benificial for you. They tend to reset the attack timer sometimes. Try to use your rangers in camo if possible. They're not sniper level sneakers, but they can close to shit that might be fighting something else, then throw a satchel charge into an emplacement. Rangers, despite being called heavy infantry are just as squishy as all the rest of them. The rangers you make at base have 2 weapon options, but also cost more to upgrade. You can make them a fantastic anti-infantry squad with 2 thompson submachine guns, but they will only be effective close range. Rangers can fire-up, meaning break suppression, but this does NOT mean they can run into a stream of bullets continually. They have access to concussion grenades also which are amazing against buildings. Once the bazooka is killed, make sure you pick that gun back up, because otherwise you gave the nazis anti-tank guns. CQC squads have 2 thompsons, and 2 shotguns. Once the shotguns are killed they do not get reinforced with shotguns anyway. They have a m9 bazooka munition ability with a cooldown, which is basically only going to kill the last half of an armored unit usually. Or a motorcycle or something small. Their strengh lies in being able to fire up as the rangers, but also, in closing and murdering the shit out of germans assuming theyve got good cover.
c. Howitzer on and off map support. 105 mm off map barrages cost 165 munitions and cover a decent of ground. Anything in that radius is going to shit its pants. On map howitzers have to be made, but the barrage can be smoke as well as HE, however, it costs less, and basically... it's a little less impressive than the offmap. It's only 50 munition however. It's also extremely obvious when it's fired. Keep this in mind. Don't make your howitzer in a place where it can be destroyed easily. Put sandbags in front of it, or use a heavy machine gun to keep enemies away. Preferable an AT gun too would be a good idea, but keep it behind the MG if possible. You can make emplacements too but they cost more and generally, don't in my opinion really help that much.
d. Longtom barrage. This barrage is made literally for tanks and mostly for defenses emplacement wise and bridges. It costs a lot, it's not feasible to use in any other way.
e. Priest tank is a self propelled howitzer. Once you upgrade at the Tank depot, you can use phosphorous rounds. These are bad motherfuckers. They catch water on fire. This is what you want to use againsts emplacements and bases. God help anyone in the way. Keep in mind that should you use this barrage, you wont be able to able to advance because of all the fire. It is hell unleashed in shell form.
f.Infantry gets a couple of armor upgrades too. Use these. Don't look past them. You get the 105 sherman, 76 shermans and tank hunters like the M10 and maybe another, I forget.
g. Emplacements and upgraded control points. The upgrade for the control points is decent but I find that by the time I actually can use it, it's not that helpful. This is more for larger player games, where you might be able to have a little leeway with your construction crews. The emplacements include a mortar emplacement and a 76mm emplacement for AT. This is a bad motherfucker againsts tanks, and the mortar emplacement in the right spot can be downright harassing. Especially with higher ground. Once these emplacements get veterancy oh fuck watch out.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

I just wanted to kind of commend the Blitzkreig Mod team for making this game so much more cutthroat. While there are things I generally don't like in the new patch, I feel that the more I play it, the better and better it gets. Command doctrines have been sort of simplified and more effective in places it seemed they were needed. I still suck fucking ass at playing this shit but goddamn if I wont play it nearly every fucking day regardless. Even if you get your ass. Kicked. Non stop. It is still a learning process. No one getting this shit RIGHT now is going to be a panzer ace or even Patton for that reason.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

This reminds me of a quote from Patton. I don't remember it, but it basically said "In warfare, even making a bad decision quickly is better than a good one that took too long". Remember this. Don't analize everything. Don't make units you dont need. Don't make anti-tank infantry until you hear the roar from the other side of the maps or the dust and rubble shaking as they come into town. Retreat is an option. Retreat is different from all out running back to the base. Make your retreats (where you're trying to get into a better situation) seem realistic or else the enemy will see your plan coming from a mile away. Make it seem like a realistic retreat. Not 2 rifle bullets into the side of a halftrack with a 30 caliber machine gun on the top of it turning a full 180 and driving back slowly, as if the driver is looking out the side mirrors to make sure they're being followed or something.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Now I'm going to get into the doctrines of the Americans. I update this by game per doctrine, so some of this may not apply on differently structured maps

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

American Infantry Doctrine:

The American Infantry doctrine is one of my favorites. It's requires a lot of micro managing however sometimes. The American infantry doctrine benefits best from maps with urban areas in them, for example, Lyon or Lorraine. A lot of new players will want to immediately go for Howitzer support. This can and cannot be a good idea. Do you have the munitions for at least 2 strikes? Because if not, stick with the Close Quarter Combat squads. Also, when playing this doctrine, do not forget to have tank and armored car support of some kind.

I think the American infantry doctrines benefits the best from a wide selection of units and vehicles. Use close quarter combat squads to take out infantry from close up. Only use these on units that can't bring the heat right back. Going up againsts stormtroopers with 2 stg44s is probably a bad idea, especially if you have to close the gap. These units are equipped with shotguns and thompson submachine guns. If I'm not mistaken they will also go camoflauge automatically. If you're able to micromanage these units well enough, put them somewhere with a lot of traffic, using another squad to breach to breach the area first, then put the CQC squad by some bushes or somewhere near the travelling units from the enemy. Then, select DO NOT FIRE under them. Wait til those units get real close, and then cancel that order. Up close and personal is what they exceed at. The trick with this is NOT getting outnumbered, especially at a distance with units that have rifles. These guys get a 1 shot bazooka fire every 1 or 2 minutes, and it recharges after you fire, and costs 30 munition. Ignore that urge to use it on the front of a tank because it will not be worth it. Instead use it for tanks that are already on fire, or are about to blow up. Using this on the front of tanks is almost always going to bounce the rocket off, or have it do minimal damage while they're getting cut down. Not worth it. Especially when you figure that the first couple people that die drop the shotguns that make them so effective. These cannot be picked up usually.

Then, after the creation of a certain building you're able to make the rangers. These units can have thomspon submachines, or they can have 30 light machine guns or most importantly m6a3 bazookas. The rangers will be your heavy infantry. This means, use them on tanks when useful, NOT straight on. Try to hit them from the side and from behind. Also, using the STAND GROUND is very effective, because sometimes the bazookas will continue to reset themselves as the enemy move. Once you stand ground you'll fire if they're in range. Remember, it usally takes a couple of shots to take a panzer 4 out from the front, so do 2 shots from the side or one from behind instead. Sometimes this isn't a possibility. You should probably run then.

Now, heavy infantry means they're extremely good againsts tank hunters, extremely good againsts AT that isn't pointed at them with HE rounds, they're not neccesarily more effective against light infantry, but once upgraded, you'll see it turn your way faster. Especially with the .30 cal light machine gun. Remember, this gun doesn't fire when you're running, your squad must stop in order to for it to get used.

With infantry you should already know this, USE COVER. The better cover you have to more effective your attack is because you can lean the guns on the cover, and be more aggresive, while taking supression. One mistake a lot of people do with this doctrine, is ignore their weapon support units. No sniper. Fail. No mortars. Fail. No heavy machine gun. Fail.

Also, just because you have heavy infantry doens't mean that a 57 or 76 mm AT wont blow them up a hell of a lot better. Please remember your AT guns, they are important regardless of the doctrine. But remember they're completely fucking open to infantry from the sides and will die as a result almost every time. The new patch makes AT guns a lot less maneuverable, so setting them up correctly and having nearby units for their flanks is still important as fuck. Don't ATTACK in offensive moves with AT guns. It just never really works out. These guns are meant to be hidden, with firing arcs that will hit a tank in it's side or behind instead of putting them on the end of a tunnel and going 1 on 1 with it. A tank with high explosive rounds will almost always take the whole group out in one shit. Even if doesn't have that, you're using them wrong still, and any advantage (i.e. the AT gun doesn't require fuel to make nor as much manpower) will be immediately shot to shit.

Infantry doctrine still gets access to some decent tanks. They get 76s, they get m10s and if I'm not mistaken Jacksons too. Now, the armor doctrine is still superior, but having tanks is ALWAYS a good idea. Especially when you put your heavy infantry BEHIND them and utilize that cover correctly. Keep in mind with tanks, especially the german ones, there is almost ALWAYS a fixed machine inside the tank that fire at a front arc. This gun can suppress easily. Use the cover to find a flank instead using building is effective, bushes, not so much.

Another aspect of the Infantry doctrine is that you can get infantry experience (namely ranger experience) pretty well. Another callin is the .30 caliber truck that comes off map with a ranger squad in it. This squad is not the regular rangers you make at the barracks, this is a specifically anti-tank ranger squad, that comes with 2 bazookas right off the bat. Once you empty the vehicle, it can be used as a sort of armored car, but it's actually best in a support role with another armored car. That's if you want them there instead of creating the now unique 5 or 7 heavy machine gun ranger squad. This one can take some fucking damage and deals it out as well. It's more effective than the regular heavy machine gun squad. They suppress faster, set up faster, and set down faster. They're also very hard to suppress. The anti-tank rangers get a fire up ability. It doesn't make them IMPOSSIBLE to kill, nor does it let them ignore suppression. They can get UP from suppression for a small period of time, but if you continue to run into machine gun fire you will be suppressed again. Using fireup at the right point is tantamount. Don't waste, then have exhausted troops by the time you get to the fight. Exhaustion means death almost every time. More damage and less accuracy outwards.

This vehicle, the 30 caliber (sorry it's not quite a halftrack so much as a GMC supply truck with a 30 or 50 caliber on it. Extremely effective againsts infantry you have to consider that at in the game those same units have some anti-vehicle abilities themselves. Use it instead as a sort of mobile barrack, and try to keep behind the lines, maybe flanking with it slightly, but not too confidently. This vehicle will blow up in one rocket it's not meant to take damage. It can be used as a unit carrier. Usually however, that is out the window by the point of the game.

Another advantage of infantry is emplacements other doctrines dont get. The 76 mm emplacement is basically the worst thing a german tank can see if it's headed directly at it. However, these emplacements can be wrecked by infantry, especially by grenades and by incendiary grenades. One incendiary almost always kills everybody inside of it. These emplacements were made knowing that they'd take tank fire, and therefore are more defensive towards it. Another you can do is the 102 mm mortar emplacement. Sometimes, one of these emplacements ends up turning a massive wave of tanks or infantry just because it was placed so well, and the units inside got veterancy really quickly as a result. These emplacement with like tier 3 veterancy if they're at full health, they can take quit a few tanks on, and as mortars can fire faster, more accurately and they can turn the mortar faster, take more damage etc. With another rank of veterancy the mortar emplacements gain the ability to creeping barrage. It costs more, but if theres a large of germans it's the best way to go, especially in urban enviroment or some kind of bottle neck. Generally, if you've placed them in a great spot, you wont have to give them orders, they'll start doing their own shit effectively. It's not a terrible idea to put a row of sandbags around these if you can, then on the opposite side, put up barb wire. This assumes there aren't enemies there because building shit while you're getting is dumb as fuck.

Next, the howtizer barrage. For 165 you get a basically 15 or 18 shot barrage of offmap artillery which is actually kinda hinted to with the first reports. If you're playing a smart german player and he's got a group of infantry together, the simple off map reports of the howitzers being fired can kind of be a hint. He'll probably move them. PLEASE. PLEASE do not use howitzer barrages with the intent on taking tanks out. At BEST you will maybe take a tread out. Don't get me wrong, they can blow from artillery, it's easy, but they're fast to get out of the way 90% of the time unscathed. Use artillery on emplacements, buildings they're set up and large formations of people. The offmap is simply a little too random in shell hits. Sometimes they're in a tight group, sometimes they're everywhere, missing everything running through it. Use this offmap for bottlenecks, large group formations that are a little too tight, but also try to use it, when there are explosion hapening everywhere already.. With luck, the opponent wont realize they've been until way too late. The long tom barrage is extremely effective on armor. This one is STILL not reliable enough to use super well. I use this to blow up bridges, I use this to blow up buildings with half health, and I use it to provide cover for my troops that are on the way there (not getting blown up by it). I'm not saying these barrages are bad, just know when to use them and what to expect.

Now, the granddaddy of the artillery section for the infantry doctrine is the m3 priest. This self propelled howitzer is a bad motherfucker. It will not turn a map where you have nothing but stupid units in the wrong places, but it will make a well put together army way more effective in breaking lines. The phosphorous round are absolute mayhem to emplacements. If you have a good enough bottleneck and use it correctly, you can ensure that retreating Germans have to basically go through a wall of fire burning hotter than regular fire. The flames alone take out light vehicles and sometimes damage in the tanks. It works on water. And it burns a long ass time. I personally use them for enemy AA emplacements the most. Or if theres a big building with multiple weapon squads in it... well, burn em alive. It's not friendly but neither is war.

Lastly, I would pick some of the tank plusses, around mid to late game, just to have em. And make sure you keep an eye on your weapon support center. It will give you more effective bazookas for your rangers, which will almost double their AT ability and some other great shit, like smoke grenades, and concussion grenades which are amazing at garrisoned troops. Infantry doctrine also can have some casualties lets be honest, more infantry casualties than any other doctrine. A good idea, is to go into the medical ability for the Headquarter OR to create a triage center at a forward headquarter. This way, these medics will go into the field and drag wounded people back. Once six get back, you get a free rifleman squad. Not particularly realistic, but a good plus. Plus units injured in the field can regenerate. Along the top of the doctrine we have rapid response, which makes units faster.... actually not that good. By the time you get the point, you can't really benefit from it that much. NOW. The skill that allows your weapons to come in cheaper definate plus. Increased mobilizatoin allows your reinforcements to come out faster. This is great one to have, it means units at base spend less time getting back to their 6 man strength and are out in the field faster.

PLEASE do not be the guy, that makes ONLY infantry with this doctrine EVEN if your teammates promise they're going armor. You still need vehicles, AT guns and tanks. They just dont have to be your main focus. You still need them I assure you not to make this mistake.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

American Infantry Doctrine:

The American Infantry doctrine is one of my favorites. It's requires a lot of micro managing however sometimes. The American infantry doctrine benefits best from maps with urban areas in them, for example, Lyon or Lorraine. A lot of new players will want to immediately go for Howitzer support. This can and cannot be a good idea. Do you have the munitions for at least 2 strikes? Because if not, stick with the Close Quarter Combat squads. Also, when playing this doctrine, do not forget to have tank and armored car support of some kind.

I think the American infantry doctrines benefits the best from a wide selection of units and vehicles. Use close quarter combat squads to take out infantry from close up. Only use these on units that can't bring the heat right back. Going up againsts stormtroopers with 2 stg44s is probably a bad idea, especially if you have to close the gap. These units are equipped with shotguns and thompson submachine guns. If I'm not mistaken they will also go camoflauge automatically. If you're able to micromanage these units well enough, put them somewhere with a lot of traffic, using another squad to breach to breach the area first, then put the CQC squad by some bushes or somewhere near the travelling units from the enemy. Then, select DO NOT FIRE under them. Wait til those units get real close, and then cancel that order. Up close and personal is what they exceed at. The trick with this is NOT getting outnumbered, especially at a distance with units that have rifles. These guys get a 1 shot bazooka fire every 1 or 2 minutes, and it recharges after you fire, and costs 30 munition. Ignore that urge to use it on the front of a tank because it will not be worth it. Instead use it for tanks that are already on fire, or are about to blow up. Using this on the front of tanks is almost always going to bounce the rocket off, or have it do minimal damage while they're getting cut down. Not worth it. Especially when you figure that the first couple people that die drop the shotguns that make them so effective. These cannot be picked up usually.

Then, after the creation of a certain building you're able to make the rangers. These units can have thomspon submachines, or they can have 30 light machine guns or most importantly m6a3 bazookas. The rangers will be your heavy infantry. This means, use them on tanks when useful, NOT straight on. Try to hit them from the side and from behind. Also, using the STAND GROUND is very effective, because sometimes the bazookas will continue to reset themselves as the enemy move. Once you stand ground you'll fire if they're in range. Remember, it usally takes a couple of shots to take a panzer 4 out from the front, so do 2 shots from the side or one from behind instead. Sometimes this isn't a possibility. You should probably run then.

Now, heavy infantry means they're extremely good againsts tank hunters, extremely good againsts AT that isn't pointed at them with HE rounds, they're not neccesarily more effective against light infantry, but once upgraded, you'll see it turn your way faster. Especially with the .30 cal light machine gun. Remember, this gun doesn't fire when you're running, your squad must stop in order to for it to get used.

With infantry you should already know this, USE COVER. The better cover you have to more effective your attack is because you can lean the guns on the cover, and be more aggresive, while taking supression. One mistake a lot of people do with this doctrine, is ignore their weapon support units. No sniper. Fail. No mortars. Fail. No heavy machine gun. Fail.

Also, just because you have heavy infantry doens't mean that a 57 or 76 mm AT wont blow them up a hell of a lot better. Please remember your AT guns, they are important regardless of the doctrine. But remember they're completely fucking open to infantry from the sides and will die as a result almost every time. The new patch makes AT guns a lot less maneuverable, so setting them up correctly and having nearby units for their flanks is still important as fuck. Don't ATTACK in offensive moves with AT guns. It just never really works out. These guns are meant to be hidden, with firing arcs that will hit a tank in it's side or behind instead of putting them on the end of a tunnel and going 1 on 1 with it. A tank with high explosive rounds will almost always take the whole group out in one shit. Even if doesn't have that, you're using them wrong still, and any advantage (i.e. the AT gun doesn't require fuel to make nor as much manpower) will be immediately shot to shit.

Infantry doctrine still gets access to some decent tanks. They get 76s, they get m10s and if I'm not mistaken Jacksons too. Now, the armor doctrine is still superior, but having tanks is ALWAYS a good idea. Especially when you put your heavy infantry BEHIND them and utilize that cover correctly. Keep in mind with tanks, especially the german ones, there is almost ALWAYS a fixed machine inside the tank that fire at a front arc. This gun can suppress easily. Use the cover to find a flank instead using building is effective, bushes, not so much.

Another aspect of the Infantry doctrine is that you can get infantry experience (namely ranger experience) pretty well. Another callin is the .30 caliber truck that comes off map with a ranger squad in it. This squad is not the regular rangers you make at the barracks, this is a specifically anti-tank ranger squad, that comes with 2 bazookas right off the bat. Once you empty the vehicle, it can be used as a sort of armored car, but it's actually best in a support role with another armored car. That's if you want them there instead of creating the now unique 5 or 7 heavy machine gun ranger squad. This one can take some fucking damage and deals it out as well. It's more effective than the regular heavy machine gun squad. They suppress faster, set up faster, and set down faster. They're also very hard to suppress. The anti-tank rangers get a fire up ability. It doesn't make them IMPOSSIBLE to kill, nor does it let them ignore suppression. They can get UP from suppression for a small period of time, but if you continue to run into machine gun fire you will be suppressed again. Using fireup at the right point is tantamount. Don't waste, then have exhausted troops by the time you get to the fight. Exhaustion means death almost every time. More damage and less accuracy outwards.

This vehicle, the 30 caliber (sorry it's not quite a halftrack so much as a GMC supply truck with a 30 or 50 caliber on it. Extremely effective againsts infantry you have to consider that at in the game those same units have some anti-vehicle abilities themselves. Use it instead as a sort of mobile barrack, and try to keep behind the lines, maybe flanking with it slightly, but not too confidently. This vehicle will blow up in one rocket it's not meant to take damage. It can be used as a unit carrier. Usually however, that is out the window by the point of the game.

Another advantage of infantry is emplacements other doctrines dont get. The 76 mm emplacement is basically the worst thing a german tank can see if it's headed directly at it. However, these emplacements can be wrecked by infantry, especially by grenades and by incendiary grenades. One incendiary almost always kills everybody inside of it. These emplacements were made knowing that they'd take tank fire, and therefore are more defensive towards it. Another you can do is the 102 mm mortar emplacement. Sometimes, one of these emplacements ends up turning a massive wave of tanks or infantry just because it was placed so well, and the units inside got veterancy really quickly as a result. These emplacement with like tier 3 veterancy if they're at full health, they can take quit a few tanks on, and as mortars can fire faster, more accurately and they can turn the mortar faster, take more damage etc. With another rank of veterancy the mortar emplacements gain the ability to creeping barrage. It costs more, but if theres a large of germans it's the best way to go, especially in urban enviroment or some kind of bottle neck. Generally, if you've placed them in a great spot, you wont have to give them orders, they'll start doing their own shit effectively. It's not a terrible idea to put a row of sandbags around these if you can, then on the opposite side, put up barb wire. This assumes there aren't enemies there because building shit while you're getting is dumb as fuck.

Next, the howtizer barrage. For 165 you get a basically 15 or 18 shot barrage of offmap artillery which is actually kinda hinted to with the first reports. If you're playing a smart german player and he's got a group of infantry together, the simple off map reports of the howitzers being fired can kind of be a hint. He'll probably move them. PLEASE. PLEASE do not use howitzer barrages with the intent on taking tanks out. At BEST you will maybe take a tread out. Don't get me wrong, they can blow from artillery, it's easy, but they're fast to get out of the way 90% of the time unscathed. Use artillery on emplacements, buildings they're set up and large formations of people. The offmap is simply a little too random in shell hits. Sometimes they're in a tight group, sometimes they're everywhere, missing everything running through it. Use this offmap for bottlenecks, large group formations that are a little too tight, but also try to use it, when there are explosion hapening everywhere already.. With luck, the opponent wont realize they've been until way too late. The long tom barrage is extremely effective on armor. This one is STILL not reliable enough to use super well. I use this to blow up bridges, I use this to blow up buildings with half health, and I use it to provide cover for my troops that are on the way there (not getting blown up by it). I'm not saying these barrages are bad, just know when to use them and what to expect.

Now, the granddaddy of the artillery section for the infantry doctrine is the m3 priest. This self propelled howitzer is a bad motherfucker. It will not turn a map where you have nothing but stupid units in the wrong places, but it will make a well put together army way more effective in breaking lines. The phosphorous round are absolute mayhem to emplacements. If you have a good enough bottleneck and use it correctly, you can ensure that retreating Germans have to basically go through a wall of fire burning hotter than regular fire. The flames alone take out light vehicles and sometimes damage in the tanks. It works on water. And it burns a long ass time. I personally use them for enemy AA emplacements the most. Or if theres a big building with multiple weapon squads in it... well, burn em alive. It's not friendly but neither is war.

Lastly, I would pick some of the tank plusses, around mid to late game, just to have em. And make sure you keep an eye on your weapon support center. It will give you more effective bazookas for your rangers, which will almost double their AT ability and some other great shit, like smoke grenades, and concussion grenades which are amazing at garrisoned troops. Infantry doctrine also can have some casualties lets be honest, more infantry casualties than any other doctrine. A good idea, is to go into the medical ability for the Headquarter OR to create a triage center at a forward headquarter. This way, these medics will go into the field and drag wounded people back. Once six get back, you get a free rifleman squad. Not particularly realistic, but a good plus. Plus units injured in the field can regenerate. Along the top of the doctrine we have rapid response, which makes units faster.... actually not that good. By the time you get the point, you can't really benefit from it that much. NOW. The skill that allows your weapons to come in cheaper definate plus. Increased mobilizatoin allows your reinforcements to come out faster. This is great one to have, it means units at base spend less time getting back to their 6 man strength and are out in the field faster.

PLEASE do not be the guy, that makes ONLY infantry with this doctrine EVEN if your teammates promise they're going armor. You still need vehicles, AT guns and tanks. They just dont have to be your main focus. You still need them I assure you not to make this mistake.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Here's what Ive learned so far about going airborne doctrine:

1. Despite it's name, the 101st is probably not what you want to get first. At first you should probably go with Air Recon and then Strafing run. Strafing runs dont seem to require the armor piercing rounds to devestate light arrmor. Now it's more than capable. Another great aspect to Strafing run is that it's one of the fastest call ins on 2 and 4 player maps. However, be prepared for your enemy to make AA. Try not to use it RIGHT off the bat, despite a perfect situations showing itself. The sooner you let him know you've picked airborne the worst off you are. Eventually he'll have AA all over the map. Surprise him with it instead in an extremely busy section of the game. One where he may already be kind of broke manpower wise. This assures he will either
a. ignore it for now
b. not be able to make it in time
and
c. a best, make it further into the game.

2. Once you do get airborne, realize a few of their shortcomings:
a. they arrive by air, this is a strength and disadvantage. If you call them in front of a puma you have ♥♥♥♥♥♥ up and they'll be dead by the time they hit the ground. The only time you want to call them into an active battle is when a machine gun is setting up and you've called them behind (also make sure there aren't other enemy units as well. ) this is a very very select period of time. They take a while to call in too. If you call them incorrectly and you have to hightail it to base, you just let them have a free recoilless rifle. Not good. With 82nd, you've given 2 bazookas. Thankfully the headquarter squad launch with their ♥♥♥♥ in hand instead of seperately. Also, make sure your idiot AI team mates, and real teammates dont steal your weapons because sometimes they'll do that.
b. 101st launch with a recoilless rifle, it sounds like a machinegun, but it is AT. It's not super effective from the front and the further in the game, the more useless it gets. Fire at tanks from the side and behind. If you have to fire at the front, you're in a stupid position to do damage to them. It CAN penetrate it's just not likely.
c. They can be reinforced by air, which is good. However, it takes longer and costs more.
d. Once landed, the 101st can upgrade to yet another recoilless rifle. I reccomend this. It will make them less effective againsts infantry, but there are other upgrades to even that out.
e. If you plan on shooting them far away, go with the garand upgrade, if you're in an urban map get the 1941 browning. BUT. Once these upgrades have been made, make sure when those men die, that you pick the weapon back up, because if you are pushed back, you gave them free weapons.

3. I have been reccomended to tell you that supply drops are extremely ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ good, and should probably be your command point buy in AFTER the strafing run. Supply drops can be 1 of 2 things, a random assortment of weapon crew style weapons like mortars and heavy machine guns. These are useful in the case that you have engineers that aren't really doing anything. Give them the gun and set them up correctly. The heavy machine gun (1907 watercooled Vickers .30 caliber) is very good a killing people. It's no mg42, but it's no piece of ♥♥♥♥ either. Setting this gun in the right spot will basically refuse any infantry except snipers and mortars who fire out of it's range. The mortars are very useful when setting up behind the machine gun. Place them out of way, not on roads if you can help it, usually behind houses is good, but also allow them a clear path of retreat if neccesary. The other style of supply drop is basically 100-200 free munitions or gas. This is excellent either way you look at it. It can mean difference between you making infantry to fight a tank and you making a tank to fight it instead.

4. The airborne doctrine gets what you call "observation" squads. They have weapons, but they shouldn't be on the front line. You use these squads to call in other command point buyins like 101st heavy machine gun, or 101st mortar crew. They can call in plenty of other things as well. You should make them early in the game and keep them far from the fight, but not so far that the callin isn't useful anymore because it takes too long to get there. Another thing I'll do is use the observation squad to "beef up" riflemen squads that might be fighting grenadiers or volksgrenadiers, however, once one of the men die, it's retreat everytime. They simply don't have the experience of a rifle squad usually at this point. They are however useful and are used to call in supply drops, 57mm AT gun, and can even call in a 60mm mortar barrage from off map. These are your units to keep alive the most. Even though they seem useless at first. They can even smoke grenade ♥♥♥♥. I find them most useful in garrisoning a HQ behind the fighting line. which brings me to my next point

5. Airborne gets to pick between 2 types of headquarters. You would be a fool to pick the regular headquarter. The airborne headquarters comes with a 101st sniper callin, a 101st engineer call and a 101st medic callin. All extremely useful. The airborne headquarter also has a few other things I'm forgetting, but check it out. One is a "rally" style of skill that allows all airborne units (including 82 and headquarter squads) to "fire up" or attack faster, or drop suppression for a second. It doesn't make them invinvible, remember this. Also all of the callins arrive by air, so if theres AA tearing your ♥♥♥♥ up, it will kill them too.

6. I reccomend at most, 1 or 2 101st squads. They are good, but they cost so much munition to upgrade, and their reinforcement is very slow. You have to know how to use them. They are slightly better in combat than your regular riflemen, but won't take more damage. Unlike Company of Heroes non modded, they don't fire up like they did. They have sprint. Sprint is very dangerous to use in certain cases, because you'll exhausted and take more damage as a result of slowness.

7. Bombing run is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ fantastic. It may be the best ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ artillery style off map call in in the whole game. The bombs devestate just about everything, with the exception of AA and some emplacements. Don't waste bombing runs, after you use one, they take a while to recharge. After this, they also cost the same munition as a firestorm that the wehrmacht has. Don't waste a bombing run on ONE ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ tank, no matter how much you want to, it's very likely not worth it. Await a jucier opportunity. Because if you start that type of thinking I'm sure you will regret when the REAL host of the army shows itself behind said tank. Don't use bombing runs on just infantry, no matter how you want to, it will not help you it is too costly munitions wise. The one exceptions to this is if there are like for no ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ reason at all 8 squads walking in a line. It just doesn't happen. Use it on armor. A well placed one can take a Tiger from full health to about 25% if it doesn't blow it up all the way. That's too ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ useful to waste on one tank, even if it's a King Tiger, Panther Ace, Jagdtiger, Jagdpanther ANY OF THESE desctruction ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ we know as the top tier German tanks.

8. We have a different style of munition callin for emplacements, it's incendiary bombs. It will take them out as long as you are smart about their use. Try to make it so the plane (which flies in one line) has the least ammount of mapable airtime possible because usually these emplacements are 20mm AA quads as it is, so make sure the plane gets to the bombing part or the emplacement is busy before you shoot it, but, once it's landed it'll burn them out very quickly. Use these smartly. If you end up using one in certain situtations you may have HELPED the germans, because you cut off a friendly advance that was basically going all the way to their base because an entire hillside was on fire instead. It will work againsts infantry, but it takes longer to kill them than strafing runs. The p-51 thunderbolt will be doing all the bombing, strafing and more. It's very fast, but it can be shot down.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Okay, I am by no means a professional but hopefully if you just picked this mod up you'll give this a look over

Also, these are in no way MUST PUT COMMAND POINTS IN LIKE THIS OR PERISH style guides here. This game has so many different maps that you need to be flexible. Know where that flexibility will kill you and where it'll help you.

Armored company:

The US armored doctrine features several helpful buffs to your tanks and armor, also, to combat engineers. Engineers CAN fight in the field but you generally don't want that, unless theyve been upgraded with flamethrowers. You'll also find that engineers get pinned extremely fast. It might be intelligent to hit the deck so to speak as soon as possible, but sometimes it ♥♥♥♥♥ you over extremely bad (i.e. engineers on the way to build something and a mg42 gets set up on you on the way somehow... bad example but stick with me)

Okay, myself, I always grab RAID, which allows Jeeps, and armored cars of certain types to capture flags. They cap slowly just so you know. Also, you generally don't want to cap alone, because if a panzershrek gets behind you, you're very likely ♥♥♥♥♥♥. Vehicles, with an exception of the jeep and the m20 scout car have medium to poor eyesight. It's hard to see ♥♥♥♥ 360 degrees inside a vehice that has one tiny sight hole and maybe a few miniscule ones around the turret.

The best friend you're going to have with this doctrine is the weapon support center. The m4 sherman is a decent tank if not slightly poor. Sadly, it just doesn't come with that much stuff out of the factory. You'll have to upgrade it. Once upgraded it easily becomes a much more versatile tank. Upgrades will include
a. turret detachable heavy machine gun (.30 caliber) for not only shermans, but also the grayhound.
b. HVSS sherman Chassis. This new chassis makes the shermans faster or something. Either way you want it.
c. sandbag wall on the front
d. sandbag wall on the side
e. smoke shell above tank explosion to cover retreats

As they stand, directly out of the factory, the shermans are scary to infantry but sadly that's about it (unless youve got HE shells on, which puts them at risk againsts other tanks because these shells don't penetrate armor in the same way). I generally do not use these rounds until I have several tanks. Even then they are only used to take out anti-tank or anti-tank guns, and that is still a hail mary. If they dont get taken out on the first shell, don't continue retreat). You probably should have some infantry in front of them. Use infantry behind them as well, especially when ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan, but clear out the second it starts taking a bunch of damage or the explosion will kill them easily.

The strengths of armored doctrine are pretty obvious. You get more manuverability light vehicle wise, the ability to cap, the ability to field repair (which save a vehicle or get it killed depending on how smart you are with it. Field repair means the vehicles is not moving for a couple minutes,and it will NOT repair a 10% health tank back to life, but it may fix a turret or engine problems)

Field repairs are slow, and even engineer repairs take a while. Don't repair under fire unless you absolutely have to, and if you do, don't expect them to live.

m26 Pershing is a fantastic anti-tank tank. It can go toe to toe with the Tiger I, and it's a toss up who wins. the M26 Pershing ace or the "Super" Pershing are some of the scariest ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ tanks the nazis can run into. For this reason alone, make them. The pershing callin is extremely expensive. Some players go STRAIGHT for the command points to get the pershing ACE. I dont reccomend this. In a smaller game, this can get you killed, because other than unlocking the regular pershing, it just EATS up your points right off the bat, leaving the enemy with USEFUL ♥♥♥♥, where as you just unlocked veterancy which wont really show up yet anyway. Personally, go the way you feel. At some point you WILL want that pershing though. Another one to keep an eye out for is the Calliope sherman. Know however, the upgrades dont apply to it, because of the way the thing is attached, and that it MAY be the best actual on-map barrage in the game, just super innacurate though. Doesn't matter when you fire 20 rockets. Keep in mind the reload is atrocious and that the tank doesn't have the abilities other shermans do, like the sabot and HE shell switching. It cant even a turret on top which is unfortunate. Keep it behind the lines. Only bring it up in the direst of situations.

Utilize a variety of tanks. Even though the doctrine mostly deals with the shermans, upgrading them to 76W or Easy Eight shermans, or 105 shermans etc etc. Don't get too stuck with it, because there are units that ♥♥♥♥ it up pretty easily. Usually they're anti-tank infantry, AT guns, and generally the top half of the German tanks are very hard to go at 1v1. Try to outnumber them. This is the best advice I have. In fact, most of these skills include subtraction of production cost and production time. Upgrade your tank factory at 2 times in order to call the Super Pershing in. Once that ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ in on the field, barring some CATASTROPHIC accident you should win. The tank is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ beast. A captured panther front turret was welded on the exist m26 pershing turret making it extremely deadly. The turret alone is about the length of the small tank, the stuart. So, it's clearly anti-tank. Veterancy is important don't get me wrong, but right off the bat, stick with something else cause it wont show up anyway yet anyway. The off map call for artillery is useful if you dont plan on using the calliope.

Tank battles, you should know how to do this ♥♥♥♥ already. If you're this far in the guide and youre attacking other tanks offering the "ass" of the tank, you are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ up. If you can avoid getting hit by the side do it. There's a lot more to it than this, but I'm not explaining it. I will explain one thing.

If you're 1 on 1 againsts a panzer 4 and your sherman is about to blow up, moving backwards may not be such a bad idea. It slightly increases bounce chance. Also, if you can wiggle side to side as well, it will increase said bounce chance. It's not going to save your ass every time, but why not. Also, the germans have a lot of camoflauge tanks, like the stug 3 and that ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ hetzer tank. These are extremely ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ dangerous tanks. They usually let you come within the range of 2 or 3 before they start attacking. Use your jeeps and your recon units, as long as it doesn't give them up. These are hard to combat.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

The Commonwealth:

The Commonwealth army is set up slightly different than the Americans. First things you will notice is that their sappers are almost twice the cost of engineers. They also have an additional ability, overrepair. Overrepair, unless I'm mistaken takes the health of a tank past 100%, it is also the most costly of the upgrade choices.

Another plus for the Commonwealth is that they dont have to make buildings like the Americans. Instead, the commonwealth relies on off-map command trucks. Command trucks are both a plus and a minus. For one, moving the command trucks to certain areas, makes it so you can't make units there. Also, they're incredibly slow and completely at risk in moving. However, if you park one in a high fuel or munitions point, it effectively DOUBLES the ammount of fuel or munition or manpower. The problem is, you have to spread your base out. Sometimes, the game goes so fast, it's not even neccesary. Especially in urban enviroments, it may suit you to instead keep the command trucks at the original base, or to supply sectors nearby. Usually the higher the munitions or fuel, the more risky it is to set up shop. Ask yourself, sure, we're doing good now, but how much of a counter-push would it require for them to be on our doorstep. At the right part in the wrong game, getting your armored command vehicle can be devestating enough to lose. Command trucks take a long time to get anywhere, and they can even cause armored patrols to have to take a completely different route. They have no weapons, so you should generally be moving them behind the line. The command vehicle upgrades include faster motor generators which increase speed of command vehicle, ALSO, and this is the one youll want, you can increase the already doubled supply ammount with the other one. In a 4v4 game, this could be the winner, giving everyone 46 munitions or 46 fuel per minute instead of staying back and playing it safe with 18 fuel or munition.

The British also rely heavily on lieutenants and captains, in fact, it's the only way for their infantry to gain experience. This means, once the lieutenant or captain eats ♥♥♥♥ and dies, your veterancy has completely dissapeared. The lieutenant and captain are essentially the most import units with Royal Artillery. I'll get to that later.

Now, the Americans have a rugged and generally all around useful rifle unit. They can get BARS, pick up additional weapons, and gain experience without their higher up nearby, just not as fast. Another reason to have these units around is the speed and accuracy bonus. Obviously, a smart enemy is going to target them first. It's extremely bad for morale for lieutinant or captains to die. Imagine literally, theyve been 66% with run speed, and about 80% accuracy now. This makes them less effective, very much.. Also, they've become easier to pin with machines and tanks now. Keep the lieutenants with the fighting and keep the captain behind just a little bit more. Lieutenants can be a good addition to a already attacking rifleman squad. Only use it if you're positive that you're going to win. If it's 50%50% it's not worth it, just withdraw to nearby units if possible.

The British get a 60mm mortar. Im sorry to tell you , it's absolute garbage. The squad only consists of 2 people, meaning that once one is dead, that the other cannot move the mortar setup. You can always reinforce, but simply put, the 60mm mortar barrage is a dissapointment in everyway. The only useful place to use them is behind heavy machine guns. Their range is further than the other mortar squad but still incredibly innefective againsts anything but human. Don't rely on these mortars. The commonwealth uses a Vickers heavy machine gun with .301 caliber, it fires different due to the lack of water-cooled option. I'm not sure why the British chose this machine but it's mediocre at best.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Aye, sorry it's not the british 60mm mortar, it's the british 51mm mortar. It's not absolute rubbish, but the second ONE man in the squad is killed it becomes immovable which is a huge downside.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Far beit from me to be a huge criticizer, but before I write about the royal engineers in the guide, I want to point out
how BAD this doctrine is for 1v1 play. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably using it incorrectly but here are a few takeaways:

The churchill infantry tank costs a ton of gas, and sadly theres not much to show for it. In certain situations, it can be outmaneuvered by a stug 4, and 5 of my shots in a row tonight bounced OFF one. This is a heavy tank is it not?

The sherman firefly is good, but it takes way too many points to get to it. Is it me or does the m10 wolverine cost more gas
as the brittish than does as americans? That seems absurd. I do enjoy the AA tank, the cromwell, but even it is not SPECIFIC to this doctrine. Everyone gets one.

The main complaint I have, is the m4a3 sherman callin. If you're not familiar, this skill calls in almost instantly 2 sherman 76s, which are badass dont get me wrong but in order to do that you have to jump through a hula hoop of problems. 1. You need an armored command trunk. This makes sense. 2. From that command truck you have to have created a command tank. Now the brittish command tank doesn't use it's turret, its there for show. It can callin a sweeping barrage of smoke which can be useful couple of times. What makes no sense is that it costs MORE than the fucking Cromwell its replacing or making image of. 70 gas is way too much for a tank that does literally nothing aside from get in the way when the are trying to maneuver. I dont understand the purpose of this tank at ALL. Requiring one, in order to get a callin that not only costs 800 manpower but another fuck 120 gas seems a little ridiculous. I'm probalby using it wrong, but my strategy with this tank is to put into a corner somewhere where it will never blow. Basically NOT using it all because of these callins require it to be on field. Even the crocodile doesnt have a gas requirement. The callins usually cost more manpower in lieu of the gas requirements. Why do the two shermans require more than half of what a King Tiger has as requirement? I'm just confused is all.

The tanks that are "unique" to the doctrine are extremely hit or miss. The infantry churchill tank is a good idea in theory, but it can't stand up to most medium german tanks as a heavy tank. I would think it would be the other way around. The ability for infantry to reinforce near it, just is not worth the ammount of manpower it costs, and gas. The m10 as usual does what it's supposed to, but the Churchill is a slow land cruiser style of tank. It just cannot maneuver like the others, it has little penetration power now which is alittle wierd, and then we get the Churchill AVRE which is basically a tank that launches a real big mortar once,..... every 5 minutes. Sorry that just sucks. I know its powerful, but not having not having any turret aside from this tank mortar launcher thats attached to is, makes it useless. Only in cases of the enemy standing extremely close to eachother is this thing worth a shit. Then it costs munitions on top of that, and the explosions are meant for buildings? Why is this here? I dont like it. Churchills are already SLOWING all the other faster tanks up, making to maneuver as it is, and this thing shoots ONE ROUND EVERY FIVE MINUTES. I don't get why it would ever be made or used. The other churchill is only good againsts light vehicles and infantry? This is a heavy goddamn tank isnt it?? Why is turret so bad? The crocodile is a step in the right direction, and I love that it has a turret too. The Churchill crocodile is truly the only REAL boon given to the Royal Engineers. The rest of the doctrine relies on NOT using your sappers anymore (which youve probalby upgraded by now uselessly) in order to make special emplacements? Sorry but that's just too little too soon. The emplacements are extremely expensive and now require gas for some reason? I tried 3 times tonight to make this Commonwealth doctrine work in a 1v1 and I got schooled nonstop. Nothing but death. The units are too expensive, the royal engineer glider is pretty much useless aside to get the enemy tons of cover, the flamethrowers are cool I guess, but 2 of them? The snipers blow the whole squad up easily multiple tonight. I can't make the royal engineers work, GOD knows I've tried. I can't even get to the point where I get to USE the churchill crocodile. Then we have the Sherman V cruiser, which is only useful againsts other medium tanks, the AA cromwell which destroys infantry left and right and the regular cromwell which was one of the fastest tanks in the war. The last three tanks are available to every doctrine and sadly they are the ones that get used the most here. I must be doing this wrong, going into the wrong skills at first or something, but the royal engineer doctrine is very hard to use in 1v1. In fact if you pull off winning I would for you to save your replay so I can watch it. I can't make this shit work. All the useful stuff is buried under way too many command points, and requires that damned command tank that is borderline useless and costs 2 times more gas for some reason.

Sorry about the complaints, but I'm a little mad after losing 3 times.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

TANEBIRD wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 11:31
What makes no sense is that it costs MORE than the fucking Cromwell its replacing or making image of. 70 gas is way too much for a tank that does literally nothing aside from get in the way when the are trying to maneuver. I dont understand the purpose of this tank at ALL.
Command tank is one of the command units. Command units in general don't do much on their own but they have command auras that provide bonuses to units around them. Especially when you put the tank near Fireflies, they shoot significantly faster.
TANEBIRD wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 11:31
The infantry churchill tank is a good idea in theory, but it can't stand up to most medium german tanks as a heavy tank. I would think it would be the other way around.
I'm not sure if my feeling is right but from what you wrote it seems to me that the term "heavy tank" means "strong armor, strong gun and lots of dead enemies". The terms "light/medium/heavy" tank were literally refering to the weight of the tank. Generally speaking, Germans had it the way that the heavier the tank, the stronger gun they mounted on it and they built these tanks with certain combat-role in mind (usually to face and destroy enemy tanks). However, this wasn't the case for all countries. Churchills were built as "infantry support" tanks. Their purpose was to advance with infantry, provide cover to them and destroy MG nests and other static defenses. They were designed to have strong armor from all sides but they were mounted with relatively weak guns - the first Churchill you can build is armed with the 6pounder gun which is literally the US 57mm AT gun. You probably know how this medium gun performs against StuGs and PIVs so it shouldn't surprise you that it performs the same on the Churchill. The other Churchill variants have 75mm gun which used projectiles very similar to the 75mm gun on Shermans. So yeah, you don't use Churchills to kill enemy tanks. You can use them in combination with Achilles/Firefly/Comet where the Churchill takes the hit from enemy tank and while it reloads the tanks with 17pounder guns move in to shoot with their much more effective guns.

The RE doctrine still has some changes minor coming for it, though, as it was barely touched during the reworks.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Additionally, let's leave the complaints for the balance forum. If you complain in order to ask for help on improving your skill, sure this is the place. As Markr mentioned, churchills aren't meant to be tank killers. They soak damage primarily. Did you know you can reinforce from them as well?

If you are playing RE and have trouble killing tanks, my suggestion is to unlock the first churchill but don't invest more in that path. Get the achilles/firefly/comet next. Keep an eye on what your enemies' build order is. If theyre going for bigger and bigger tanks it means you need to stop trying to rush the churchill line and just rush the AT line. This game is a game about RNG and counters, it's not like starcraft where the bigger unit wins. Keep units to their role and make units/select abilities according to their roles.

That being said, Markr mentioned there will be minor changes coming. Don't put your hope into it though. Maybe if you post some of your 1v1 replays as RE I can help analyze them? I'll try to get permissions to post how i help other players on youtube. Then you can let me know if you want me to do the same for you.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

See I've noticed a few of the buffs, and you're right about the balance forum thing, so without any further ado I present you a few tips I've picked up on the royal engineer guide. The first one, is that this doctrine, kinda like the airborne doctrine seems to be more of a support style of doctrine. It's end style tank the Church hill Crocodile is everything it could possibly want to be. Extremely hazardous to infantry, with a heavy machine gun and a flamethrower it also fields a Churchhill turret. Thankfully this call in only requires 110 manpower. It's not an END all to solve all style of tank, but for destroying infantry it is an absolute beast. It can also take a few hits too if you maneuver it correctly.

Lets get one thing out of the way, I find the Cromwell support tank hard to keep alive for some reason, even if I keep it out of the way. It's too needed for me to get over my anxiety of using it on the line. The Churchills are slow tanks, but they've great armor. They also add sort of a slowly advancing methodogy to the offensive push. They seem to have okay range, but most importantly they're actually decent cover. One thing to keep in mind is that it's wierd turret placement can leave a couple of situations where it sits there taking damage but not attacking around corners because you just had to move like another 5 feet.

There are some okay things about this doctrine, namely emplacements, when you can afford the time to make them. The emplacements made by the royal engineers are no joke, and they take a massive ammount of damage to bring down. Emplacements were already a pain in the ass, so I can't imagine this. Earlier, in the process of losing a match on Gazala, My sherman crocodile, a command tank that did nothing but smoke and a 17 pounder emplacement literally blew up over 18 tanks easily and numerous half tracks.

There are people out there that can use the AVRE intelligently and I have come to accept that I am not one of them. The royal enginer glider is decent, but for the most part to me seems kind of unneccesary until the 4v4 maps come out. Over repair is definately a nice ability and the ability to have 2 flame throwers with the royal engineers is definately not bad either. The tank mines are hit or miss, depending on how well you guess tank placement. The roadblocks are actually good too, you just have to correctly place them onto the right type of straightholds and bottlenecks.

Keep in mind, if you are a player like I am, that the second you place some of these roadblocks down, you may have fucked yourself real good, cause you need to get through that area later or it's a fantastic retreat point now or something. It always happens to me. Using roadblocks with conjuction to the anti tank mines may be their best use, but I've yet to see.

I am sorry about the complaining. This doctrine just seems a little more advanced at first. To me, the airborne, I couldn't figure them out either, until I found that one "click" with the command points. I'm sure that's all it is. If anyone else has some opinions about the tanks I would love to hear them. Is the Comet any good? I hear it's excellent againsts heavy tanks but that's about it. There are uses for it, so they should be made in said use. Like many of the tanks for the commonwealth.

I also kind of want to take this moment to congratulate the staghound for being my favorite anti-infantry armored car, but I sigh everytime it blows up in one rocket hit. The staghound is truly a brittish glass cannon.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Royal engineers is also a doctrine requiring intelligent tank movement, placement is all. Don't make tank after tank, sending single tanks into 4 tank mob over and over, because it will just result it their outnumbered death. Also, tank hunters despite their name are not actually meant to take damage. This can make them a little hard to use, especially in urban enviroments, and they get chewed up by heavy infantry because tank hunter don't usually fill the role of multiple machine guns on the tank. In fact, the m10 wolverine only a fixed .30 caliber machine in the front. Anything from the sides will leave incredibly open. Use your head with your movements. I'm to try your suggestion with the tank hunter command points. I will let you know how it goes.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Also, keep in mind, it's normal for you to get your ass kicked in pvp almost nonstop at first. It hurts, buts hopefully you learn from it. Don't be a little bitch about it, take it like a man and wish them a good game. Rewatch the strategy to see what your opponents did right that fucked you up. Learn from it. Be flexible in situations, dont have a rigid GO TO START UP LINE for every single map because not every single map requires that type of starting set up. If the map have good buildings to use 30 cals from you're going to make those much more likely now. If the map doesn't but prefers a sniper style of fighting, guess what, you make the sniper instead. I had a choice encounter with a player that used a bunch of volkstrum. They may not be uber powerful, but heres what they are, free sight line. And even in good cover, they're taking in damage points that probably more superior units should be taking instead. Watch out for volkstrum, because they can be a ruse almost everytime. Why is the volkstrum at the front of the line? He's intentionally trying to bate you into negating his cover. You try it, and bam, there's a second squad with much deadlier weapons around the corner and you've been completely had. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Most of all remember, no perfectly laid plan has ever 100% made it past first contact. NONE. You have to be able to make a decision and fast. A bad decision fast is still better than a great one that took too long.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Up first for the Wehrmacht:

Propaganda Doctrine:

Okay, this ones a doozy. Theres a few things to keep in mind; 1. the nazis were evil and 2. this doctrine is actually pretty good sadly.

At the beginning of the game, the propaganda is only okay. It allows for spamming of units that you don't get retreat control of. If their 5 man squad goes to 2 they take off no matter what. With no regard whatsoever. It's Volkstrum, or "folk storm" or conscripts. They're terrible at first. Absolutely awful. Don't expect them to be useful in any way other than taking damage. They're all equipped with 5 kar98s. They dont take cover well and they're completely effected the second a machine gun start 300 feet away aiming in a different direction. They pin. INSTANTLY under fire. So... why should you make them? I guess it depends on your game style.

Volkstrum is basically the older and younger generations fighting for Germany once all the other ones were basically dead. I never though I would see such a useless offensive infantry. In a 8 player game a volkstrum unit I had started with has 2 human kills at the end of the game. To illustrate what I mean here, my nebelhwerfer battery has 148 kills, 7 vehicles, etc etc. These guy are not going to do your damage until you put some points in them. Theyll be fully upgraded at 3 points. The officer units affect them slightly, but I wouldn't worry about having it if you dont want it. They upgrade with 1 mp40 per squad. And one panzershrek per squad. The panzershrek requires 50 munitions to use, so they're like volksgrenadiers that are shittier somehow.

Next up, we have 2 propaganda abilities. These are affect with what "phase" youre in. They'll be more affective the later you have them. One cost 40 munition and its a leaflet drop and speaker for a small area. It may or may not cause the enemy to run, but it affects their accuracy, their speed, and how fast they're pinned. The next is badass. I hate to say it, and it sounds scary. Sector propaganda can cause a huge rout back to base for your enemies. Its almost like a forced retreat for a whole sector. It sounds scary too. This can turn a huge offensive, but cost 140 munition.

Up next, we have the tanks. The koenigstiger or KING TIGER is absoutely terrifying. Theres nothing you can do about it once it gets going ESPECIALLY if it's getting veterancy. One of the power up commands releases more word of mouth about the tiger, it causes enemy tanks to be worse. Tiger shock causes infantry enemies that get too close to take of or get pinned instantly. This tank ain't no joke. If it blows up thats the only you get. Don't even bother trying to kill it with most tanks as an ally, you want this thing led into a trap of 76 mm ATguns with the sabot AP rounds. THERES NO. OTHER. WAY. Except the pershing or the jackson.

This tank with a couple of either stug 3s or 4s, and maybe a panzer H ??? This would be an unstopable combo. The tiger tank can run over anti-tank trap and even survive a teller mine depending on how it's hit. It will blow the track. It laughs off sticky bombs. It laughs off most bazooka round. FIRE AT IT FROM BEHIND OR DONT WASTE YOUR LIFE.

Zeal and Inspired Assault: Zeal makes your infantry better as they take loses. Inspired assault takes 50 munition however, Zeal is a passive. Inspired assault makes your units do more damage but they take more as well. Use it for machine guns or SMGs or assault rifles only. Don't use for snipers, dont use for tanks unless it's anti-infantry.

Lastly we have the STURMTRUPA or something? It's a 380 mm tank that fires once every 5 minutes? It's huge, and it takes forever to fire this. The round is extremely expensive and in my opinion it's not worth it because by the time you get it to the base, the game has already been won. It's extremely open to infantry attacks and other tanks when it's reloading. It only has a fixed mg42 but it's slower than shit, and generally just bad to me. Ive seen people use to deadly effect but I dont know how to do it.

After this however is the 280 mm rocket barrage. It cost 200 munition and it is fucking devastating. The hellstorm has been removed. The rocket barrage is much more powerful on tanks but it's also hard to time as well. Good luck. Another unit that special to them is flammenwehrfer and a few others. Good luck.

ONE LAST HINT:

With this doctrine you are not doing SHIT unless you have the control of munition. Once they start taking those get em back. If you cant you lose. This doctrines strength is in additional weapons, neberhlwerfer battery fires, mortar halftrack barrages, 105 barrage and more. If you aint got munitions all those units you just made are useless. Rocket barrages and 380 mm are extremely expensive munitions wise. Any different shell in tanks cost munitions. If you dont the HIGHEST munitions sector in the map you've already lost. Keep an eye on it and have camo units it.

Also, I know this sounds terrible. But send Volkstrum in first. Let them start shit, so enemy unit arent firing at more important units behind it. Goddamn, I hate this army. That's terrible. That it.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Blitzkreig Doctrine:

Blitzkrieg means "Lightning War" or the process of being so offensive tactically that it leaves enemies with no chance to set up and defend. This was unheard of after WWI grueling trench lines and more. Also, new technology also made this more possible. The german war machine on the eastern front in WWII was called this for a reason, it's because they didn't stop until they reached Stalingrad.

Here this doctrine means mostly that you'll get more infantry and tanks almost instantly. It also has a bunch of boons for increasing man power and for turning munitions in to gas in order to use with tanks. Lets get started:

This particular doctrines unique infantry is the Stormtrooper and Demolition Stormtrooper. I find the stormtroopers to be kind of a hit and run style of fighter. Place them in cover and if they're veteraned high enough they'll automatically camo. This is good. They also have STG44s, which cost 75, Light machine gun mg42 or 34 and panzershrek. They make very good heavy infantry but it costs money and time. There is a off map call in for both of these squads and theyre both 6 strong. Demolition stormtroopers can booby trap houses and waypoints, place incendiary traps and more. They also have camo, which is great as an ability for some of the more urban maps to destroy large houses etc. etc.

The next options are stormtrooper halftrack, which can reinforce the stormtroopers as well as call in new ones of a different style. Blitzkreig doctrine offers a combat unit call in, which gives you either a panzer 4 or a stug 4 and a squad of stormtroopers for 800 or so manpower. The unique half track for this doctrine if I remember correctly is the halftrack with the rockets on the back of them. They are decent, but cost a lot of munitions. This gives the blitzkreig doctrine one of its only real artillery options aside from the makeable 105 howitzer from HQ bases. Or nebehlwehrfers. It happens to be one of their worst abilities, as there are no callin artilleries and the only barrages they have available is on map.

The blitzkreig doctrine also has a 105 mm self propelled tank call in. It's actually very good. But it will probably be the absolute attention of the enemy if hes smart. It's extremely accurate and costs very little. right off the bat. It must be made however, as it isn't a callin if I remember correctly. There are a few more abilities to get. Make sure if you're using stormtroopers to go into stormtrooper veterancy as well. Veterancy makes ALL the difference with them. Also, this doctrine can make EITHER stug 3s or stug 4s. The stug 3 is an anti-infantry style of tank with the HE ammunition possible and it has the ability to camo in heavy tree or bush cover.Keep in mind that you should probably still move backwards from advancing enemies with this one as there is no rotating turret in this short tank. Stug 4s are anti-tank with an emphasis on supporting infantry from further back. Both have the option to rapid fire. Know when to use it however. In this doctrine the ability "Blitzkreig" actually increases the speed of all units by a short time, even the tanks. This can be very deadly, but it's not really worth 200 munition unless you're positive you're going to win or need to get away from something. It can catch an offensive push up to a already in trouble front line. But like I said, I personally dont use the munitions for it unless these situatioms arise, and even then... with moderation.

The blitzkreig doctrine has the Tiger Ace callin. This is a very effective anti-infantry tank that comes with a commander inside of it already. Most of these skills are explainable. But this tank has one that none of the others do. S-mine launchers blow explosives in a 360 arc around the tank. Killing any infantry nearby. This tank is a bad motherfucker and you should take it seriously as an allied player and use it intelligently as an axis one. This tank has a ton of armor. But it still needs to be treated correctly order wise. Tank shock CAN scare units away, and the skill is good, but it's not the end all to infantry. If you use HE rounds know that you're putting yourself at risk againsts tanks. Using the sabot you're decreasing infantry ability. But this tank has 2 mg 34s on it. So you should be okay. Still retreat from anti tank guns if possible and watch out for bazooka units (especially UPGRADED m6a3 bazooka units). Also, I find that this tank can be your winner or the reason you took a huge shit. This tank gets the tracks blown off rather easily. So dont allow enemy riflemen to do so with sticky bombs, and watch out for satchel charges as well.

The downside of the tank is 2 in number. 1. It's kind of slow. In fact it's top speeds is around 25 km/h. But it is a fortress. 2. The turret, due to it's weight is extremely slow in turning. So if you're surrounded by enemy infantry they can dance all day around you (theyll know not to get in front of it) if you dont tank shock or s-mine. Turn the tank from right to left while you're correcting turret usage. Also, the MGs are both fixed. One is for the front of the tank and the other is affixed to the front of the turret as well. So it IS possible for them to not get shot even once if they're smart in maneuvering. Usually they will be running away though.

With the length of the turret not everything is hitable either. I beleive theres a panther command point as well. The panther is extremely good for an all around type of tank now. It used to be slightly weak againsts infantry but now it suits the infantry support style of use. Both of these tanks cost a lot. Only make them when you have more money around. The gas alone for the panther is either 80 or 120. An astounding ammount of gas considering a sherman cost 40.

TANEBIRD

Post by TANEBIRD »

Defensive Doctrine

Defensive doctrine has a few bonuses, as well as "for the fatherland" which gives you defensive bonuses. They can equip all buildings at base with a mg42 gunner in a turret. This doctrine features the Elephant tank, it also features the deadly 88. Different bunker styles as well. This particular doctrine is a little stronger than blitzkreig for artillery as well.

The "special" infantry for this doctrine is the Grenadiers. They don't have stg44s anymore, but can equip a light machine gun 34 or 42. They can use panzershreks and mp40s as well. Each with their own cost. They can upgrade with 2 of these choices. The mp40s will make you less effective long range though. Use the mp40s for closing on enemies. Keep in mind you cannot fire machineguns until your squad stops. Which can also suck, because you have 4 people shooting instead of the default 4. Keep all of these things in mind. Grenadiers have bundled grenades for 50 munition and regular ones for 15 or so. Grenadiers are basically a step up from Volksgrenadiers and more viable for anti-tank roles once upgraded. The upgrading always costs not only time, but munitions as well. So if you're making them in lieu of a tank attack, consider the anti-tank squad instead perhaps, as they'll come out with panzer shreks.

Defensive doctrine features medic bunkers, repair bunkers, and heavy repair bunkers. On top of this, these are usually at least 450 manpower which can be alot considering it still needs to be made and they take a while to build. Once made however, units inside of it (especially MGs) can shut entire swaths of enemy down. Place them somewhere intelligently because of the costs. A bunker in the wrong spot will stop no one except MAYBE a stray unit that runs past it on the way back to base. Consider crossroads and blind corners here. Especially use them with hedgerows in a way that causes the enemy to take a maximum ammount of fire before they get back.

The panther turn is also included. This is a bunker with a panther turret on it honestly. Very good againsts tanks, but slightly open to infantry due to not having any machine gun. If you provide the right line of sight this thing can be devestating. Place this somewhere tanks drive past it and expose either their backs or sides to you instead of their fronts.

The 88s are probably the most devastating. And offer an artillery barrage which is no joke. The 88 is an all around effective againsts anything type of turret. They are definately weak againsts enemy that has closed the difference however, as their turn time is rather slow. A shield protects it's user, but make sure if the enemy takes it over that they don't get THEIR infantry onto this thing because then it just became possibly your WORST nightmare. These are hard to set up. But when made correctly in the right spots, can take TANK AFTER TANK AFTER TANK out with no sweat. A 3 tier veterancy group is absolutely TERRIFYING too.

The elephant is good for destroying emplacements, but NEVER on its own tank wise, bring some stug 4s or a panzer 4 at least. It anti infantry role is pretty much non existant with a wierd tank shape and only one mg. Its good againsts enemy tanks as well, but once they close the distance it's completely useless. Its long shape makes it hard to maneuver well and even it's turn speed is atrocious.