Hit Ground

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Krieger Blitzer

Hit Ground

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Ok, let's remove "Hit Ground" from all units in the game.

It allows tanks to bypass minimum range, and handheld AT to bypass max range.

Won't deny it's sometimes useful when u want to burn hedgerows using flame throwers for example.. but bulldozers exist for a reason... TNT does the job too, or just use a heavy tank.

What if you want a squad to attack an empty/de-crewed weapon? No worries "Attack Move" will serve you.

Red

Re: Hit Ground

Post by Red »

For me this would be a no-go. Hit ground is necessary to clear tankwrecks. If you can't do that, maps with bridges or other chokepoints would become unplayable in my opinion.
I also regularly use infantry AT weapons to blow a hole in fences and the likes.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

You can destroy wrecks with "attack move" if I'm not mistaken.

Btw: does this mean to also remove Direct Shooting? Because direct shooting is just fancy attack ground and allows shooting past minimum and maximum ranges, just as attack ground.

Krieger Blitzer

Yup, wrecks can be wiped using attack move.. buildings & emplacements too.
Fences can be destroyed with grenades or halftracks.

I knew someone would bring up Direct Aim, but that one at least requires some micro.. and players voted before for this ability to stay. So this topic is only about Hit Ground ability for now... At least no more Bazooka/Shreck max range bypass.

crazzy501

Post by crazzy501 »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 11:44
Ok, let's remove "Hit Ground" from all units in the game.

It allows tanks to bypass minimum range, and handheld AT to bypass max range.

Won't deny it's sometimes useful when u want to burn hedgerows using flame throwers for example.. but bulldozers exist for a reason... TNT does the job too, or just use a heavy tank.

What if you want a squad to attack an empty/de-crewed weapon? No worries "Attack Move" will serve you.
BIG NO.
It's a kind of a trick now and I like how it works

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Direct aim for Panzerschreck
:insert wehraboo meme:

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Diablo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 18:49
Direct aim for Panzerschreck
:insert wehraboo meme:
That would be fucking tasty
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 18:30
I knew someone would bring up Direct Aim, but that one at least requires some micro.. and players voted before for this ability to stay. So this topic is only about Hit Ground ability for now... At least no more Bazooka/Shreck max range bypass.
Situation with attack ground:
1) Position the unit where you need it
2) Click the attack ground icon/hit the hotkey
3) Click on the ground where you want it to shoot
4) Wait for the unit to align weapon and fire

Situation with Direct Fire:
1) Position the unit where you need it
2) Click the Direct fire icon/hit the hotkey
3) Click on the ground where you want it to shoot
4) Wait for the unit to align weapon and fire

What extra micro does it require? To keep the cursor at the target point?

In your first post you made it sound as if the reason for removing the attack ground were the exploits the ability leads to. Exactly the same exploits are possible with the direct fire. Why are the exploits a problem with one but not with the other? Really, doesn't require all that much micro to justify the exploits.

Krieger Blitzer

Not saying it's fine with 1 ability but not fine with the other.. tho, just saying that it's gonna be 1 less ability that allows such an exploit; in addition to how it would also prevent AT inf from bypassing max range using handheld AT weapons; but it's not a big deal for me if the ability gets to stay.

The micro part; with "Hit Ground" the tank will keep shooting the targeted area automatically until you order it to stop.. whereas, using the Direct Aim, you will need to click each time to fire and you also can't control other vehicles while doing so.

Overall, my main point here is about handheld AT weapons.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

To be honest, i kinda like that it removes minimum ranges. Sometimes pathing is so fucked up, that its necessary to solve this kinda sitiuation. But lets be honest, how often does things like that happen. Your turret have to face the right direction and when the enemy is that close, he normally sees it and micro it arround it. So you are basicly punished for a reason if you/he manages to get a shot of with ground target.

Also as said before, i use ground attack mainly to destroy AT guns,MGs or mortars with handheld AT so i am against removeing it.
Nerf Mencius

Krieger Blitzer

Consti255 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 21:55
Also as said before, i use ground attack mainly to destroy AT guns,MGs or mortars with handheld AT so i am against removeing it.
These can be destroyed using "Attack Move", ur unit will also attack such targets with more precision using this ability.

However; i am fine if "Hit Ground" gets to stay after all, not a big deal for me anyways.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Attack move is sometimes kinda wanky, becuase ur units are jumping arround or just searching for cover for no reason. Pressing hild poition is an extra press so i noramlly stay with ground attack.
Nerf Mencius

Red

Post by Red »

Thanks for the hint with the attack move! :)