5.3.2 Beta hotkeys.

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
tarakancheg

5.3.2 Beta hotkeys.

Post by tarakancheg »

Take this opinion with grain of salt because it is being written after 1 game in beta with new hotkeys.
This is a hot take on the new keybinds and theorycrafting on how it may affect gameplay and QOL
With all the respect to the devs and the job they done on reworking the hotkey system to be unified between all units, i think new hotkey system is not that good in first glance.
1: Entire community will have to adapt to almost every hotkey being changed.
2: Direct firing and stoping tanks now will be way harder because of having to hold your hand on 3 buttons at the same time: C for direct fire, X for smoke after shot and Q for stopping the said tank which makes you lay your hand into an unnatural position.
3: it's unintuitive if you play other RTS (universal A-attack, B-build and such)
4: Retreat instead of reinforce, you will understand me after you play once in beta.
I will try to play again, but the first impression is strange.

Krieger Blitzer

Re: 5.3.2 Beta hotkeys.

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I once said:
Krieger Blitzer wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 01:03

To be fair; while the idea of the re-work sounds cool.. yet, i think it's not worth the effort.
Most players are wired to the current hotkey layout, so i would encourage to keep the current setup but only re-assign any contradictions that get to be reported on individual basis.
Not to disregard the hotkey changes, but i think the old setup was better.. only few contradictions had to be fixed.

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

Haven't tested but I use that layout in coh2 so shouldn't be that bad for me. And as you said I can just change hotkeys using 3rd party program.
Rifles are not for fighting. They are for building!

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I mean, it's definitely more organised this way, but going to take a while for players to get used to.

Overall, even in Gates of Hell, some hot-key buttons are not necessarily related to their spellings.

For example, rotating units is "Y" while it should be "R" but this last key is already used for reloading in direct fire.
And "F" is for units to stop while if we think about it.. it should be either "H" for Halt or "S" for Stop but it's neither of the two so i am not too worried about hotkeys being in-line with other games after all.

The changes generally aren't bad.