PE 50mm mortar

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Consti255

PE 50mm mortar

Post by Consti255 »

Its a nice unit, but its too inaccurate for such a small AOE.
I think it should aim more to the accuracy of the 2 inch mortar, because right now its more luck than actually good placement of the salvo if you hit something with it.
Nerf Mencius

Frost

Re: PE 50mm mortar

Post by Frost »

no it is not right now it's on par with Sten submachine gun on terms of effectiveness, it can either be removed or have reasonable AOE and accuracy.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

I think I can remember that when we said it would have the same stats as the CW 2inch mortar, people were bitching that "it would be just a copied unit". Is the main point of these mortars to kill stuff? Isn't it the case that even if it doesn't hit, it still forces the opponent to move out of cover?

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

It doesnt right now. I wish i had the replay last time i used it against a MG in the house.
After 5 Salvos the enemy MG lost 1 man and where on half HP.
When i see an enemy 50mm PE mortar, i never retreat even when i am having a green cover vs green cover fight, since its that inaccurate.

When we dont change the accurarcy on that thing, what about one single aimed shell? Same like the US mortar HT with its big mortar shot.
Nerf Mencius

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

A singular aimed (regular) shell sounds like a fresh idea. I like it.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

so you just have to be careful for the one aimed shot but after that it stays with rather low accuracy or wider AOE from your normal salvos
Nerf Mencius

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

The aimed shell most likely will need more of a drawback than just ammo cost (btw. how much, 20 muni?). Maybe a shorter range? A little delay before it's shot?

Having a regular and a precise barrage option is perhaps too much. Nevertheless, I'd imagine a precise barrage to shoot just 3 shells in the same time the regular one shoots what - 8-9 shells? Range would have to lower here aswell, to give it a risk/reward dynamic.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

There is no aimed mortar shot in bk. Only a shot with an impact of an 105 howitzer shot and flame shot. But that can also fail sometimes.

Aimed shot for a mortar sounds just hilarious. Keep in mind the shots fired are literally just handgrenades. Ofc they don't do too much damage. It's just supportive and mobile. I would rather add sprint ability to all lighter mortars of 50 and 60 mm and lower cost. So you can get cheap and mobile indirect support quickly to where it's needed.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

How about move set up and pack up time from it?

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Walderschmidt wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 19:01

Wald
the set up animation cant be removed fully. so even with set up times set to 0, there will still be a short animation set up.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Warhawks97 wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 19:02
Walderschmidt wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 19:01

Wald
the set up animation cant be removed fully. so even with set up times set to 0, there will still be a short animation set up.
Okay, so do that, make it as short as it can be.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

wouldnt change the fact that when it can sprint, it doesnt hit anything and a mortar that doesnt hit, doesnt force people to move, since it doesnt harm you.
I would like to see a aimed shot with lower range than normal, so you basicly have an ambush mortar that needs to set down and kill enemys which push to farm with an aimed single shot.

Kinda unique and pretty rewarding
Nerf Mencius

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Consti255 wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 01:06
wouldnt change the fact that when it can sprint, it doesnt hit anything and a mortar that doesnt hit, doesnt force people to move, since it doesnt harm you.
I would like to see a aimed shot with lower range than normal, so you basicly have an ambush mortar that needs to set down and kill enemys which push to farm with an aimed single shot.

Kinda unique and pretty rewarding

still unfiting. Mortars are barrage units and dont fire laser guided munitions (at least not in ww2).

As i said, these mortars fire essentially just handgrenades. So they are not really that good in singlehandedly destroy enemie forces. They will kill single models or two with some luck.

I would rather like to see a cost drop to all the light mortars and a mobility increasing ability. This way you can follow your own troops quickly, set up quickly and fire from short distances at the enemie which automatically improves accuracy. And you can use two of them. Many brits players use two light mortars and fire them from pretty close ranges with devestating effects.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Hawks, god.
Who cares about that.
Its a GAME. Its not a simulation of WW2 in a game. A good mortar crew could fire accurate over the distances this thing shoots. Nothing that breaks immersion in any way. For my part at least.

The effectness of this arty piece is not gonna increase if it gets more mobile or cheaper. It is already damn cheap.
Yeah the 2inch does it good, but the 50mm from PE not.

So i would rather go for a accuracy buff (which is just copy paste 2inch) or a special ability for it. Like the aimed shot.
Last edited by Consti255 on 11 Oct 2021, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Nerf Mencius

MEFISTO

Post by MEFISTO »

What if we gives it similar accuracy as the CW 2inch mortar, but similar range as Allies 60mm mortar with no camouflage option.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

i am fine with everything that buffs up the accuracy of this thing. Since right now it doesnt kill and doesnt force to move.
Nerf Mencius

tarakancheg

Post by tarakancheg »

This mortar definetely needs a buff, because ot feels like it lacks everything:damage, accuracy, AoE.

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

MEFISTO wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 16:37
What if we gives it similar accuracy as the CW 2inch mortar, but similar range as Allies 60mm mortar with no camouflage option.
I like this idea a lot

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

MEFISTO wrote:
08 Oct 2021, 16:37
Accuracy of indirect weapons is bound to the distance they shoot at. If we make it as accurate as the 2inch mortar when it shoots at the distance of 60mm mortar, it will snipe units at its current range. If we match the accuracy of 2inch at the current range and extend the range, people will complain that it is too inaccurate at max range.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Can the accuracy decrease per distance unit be changed?
I imagine it working a little bit like at a range of 20 meters shells fall in a radius of 3 meters. Range 40 results in 6 meters and so on. So if this relationship is modifiable, you could create a mortar that doesn't loose as much accuracy with increasing range.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

It is modifiable but not in this way. You can only set a "fire cone" which is set in degrees. The lesser the number of degrees, the more accurate it is but the accuracy always drops progressively with distance.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

I see. Can you set a different cone of fire for several abilities?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Depends on what sort of ability it is, but for some it can be done.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

what about buffing its accuracy and also give it the sniper ability at vet 1 or 2?
For that the mortar looses its cloak ability?
Nerf Mencius

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

i'm goign to probably suggest and almost veto the single accurate shot ability. i've seen it in action in the spearhead mod, it became SUCH A CRUTCH for every faction. hyper accurate anything that will one shot kill is not fun. even the existing one shot mortar halftrack is kind of cancer, the saving grace is its inaccuracy. otherwise it will be the most abused ability ever.

in a game that has a heart of rng, making anything absolutely certain with very little drawbacks except resource cost will be huge balance breaking or very very difficult to balance. See pre-reworked grille or really old version 2.0.0 stuh42's as other examples.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.