Is Grille broken?

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Warhawks97

Is Grille broken?

Post by Warhawks97 »

I used the Grille for the first time actually. I usually only got howitzers so far untill this match: viewtopic.php?f=16&p=38848#p38848
Other than that i only had painfull encounters with that thing. But just in this match i noticed how broken this unit is.

Last time ive seen such kill counts for an artillery was in very old patches using the Priests.

So whats broken with Grile
1. You get a 150 mm salvo for just 60 ammo. The Wespe in TS doc is paying 80 mun and does not even half the damage.
2. Its very accurate
3. It two shots or oneshots everything (which is OK for its calibre)
5. It has a range just like every SPG
6. Its cooldown is just 20 or less seconds even at vet 0. That means that this thing can fire like two artillery pieces and nonstop barraging everything.
7. Due to its short barrage and cooldown, it enables the player to fire on a target, move it and then give counter fire to the enemie artillery unit that just started to fire in an attempt to counter arty the grille. So essentially the Grille is the only arty unit that can give counter battery fire to its own counter artillery,

This thing reminds me of the German Panzerhaubitze 2000. Quick shooting, relocate, shoot again, relocate.

All in all this unit provides a firepower like an entire artillery battallion.

My Proposal:

Since this unit is effectively labled "Sturmpanzer" or "Sturmartillery". Basically having the same or similiar role than Stupa or Sturmtiger.
It also houses an infantry support gun, not an Howitzer,

Thus i would suggest to lower its range down to like 120 range or 130. It costs drop down to arround 300-400 MP and ammot cost removed. That way this unit will not act like a normal heavy howitzer anymore and instead becomes an support asset for attacks that fires short ranged by very accurate 150 mm shells for low cost against emplacments.

Shooting 150 mm shells for 60 ammo over such distances every few seconds is just gamebreaking.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Sgtsmith501

Re: Is Grille broken?

Post by Sgtsmith501 »

Agreed

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

mhh.
actually i would leave the grille as it is but increase the CD of the Salvos.
So the unitswap with the StuPA makes sense, even when the grille was historical an assault gun.
Nerf Mencius

Mood

Post by Mood »

If I remember correctly it already got a moderate nerf before, and you seem to be the only one who has complaints about it nowadays.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Mood wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 11:44
If I remember correctly it already got a moderate nerf before, and you seem to be the only one who has complaints about it nowadays.

to be honest it doesnt feel like a nerf. We had a sniper grille shooting one shot per salvo costing 35, later 50 ammo. Now its 60 ammo for four shots. A bit less accurate but from vet 2 onwards it kills everything you shoot at reliably. The cooldown of 20 seconds or less is the same as before.

Many players currently rush bunkers, 105 howitzers (which to be fair dominate the arty phase for the most part anyways. I barely need the grille) and then TD´s. Since RA doc became rare and mostly your enemie is RE or RAF, there is no need to go beyond 105 howitzers anymore. Inf doc barely gets Priest so, why spending CP´s for grille? But when it comes to the field, its brutal and hard to counter.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Oh hell, how I loved the goddamn sniper Grille. It was utter death from above: swift, precise and lethal.

H.Drescher

Post by H.Drescher »

I very much enjoy this unit in its current state. My only gripe with the unit is the awful direct fire it has which is useless. It might be fun if it received a similar treatment to the Churchill 95. Being able to directly fire at targets, but receiving the nerf of having a shorter barrage range.