M36 accuracy (Ambush fails)

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Warhawks97

Re: M36 accuracy (Ambush fails)

Post by Warhawks97 »

kwok wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 20:17
Dude, I don't know. The point isn't what the reason for why something exists. The question is always what should it be and why. The proposer holds the burden of truth not the status quo. I can agree with you it's wrong but what next? I'm not even arguing that there shouldn't be a change. I'm literally asking what should it be changed to but we keep talking about what's "wrong" with no solutions. Just give a number that it SHOULD be and defend that number. otherwise we'll just set them to 1/1/0.751/0.751 because that's technically a buff. Or we'll set tigers and panthers to 1/1/0.899/0.899.
I mentioned the tank guns and their accuracy as well as range brackets quite often. Perhaps i even made a topic about it.

The first thing are range brackets which are often random and usually far in favour of heavy tanks. Their drop on each bracket in terms of pen and accuracy is not already better in numbers, but also how the brackets are set. Most medium tanks cant make a so called point blank shot unless the barrel touches the target since the minimum range and the short range bracket is almsot identical for them.

On top of that most medium tanks do not even get an advantage when closing in a bit since the values from the range 55-60 do not change at all since distant range ends at 54 while max range is 60.

The brackets for medium tank guns is usually 10/25/45/55
The only medium that has proper Brackets is the Hetzer with 15/30/50/60. Means even if you get as close as 56 range, you still get a tiny bit better pen when compared to Jagdpanzer IV/48. But its also cheating with its long range set to 50. For comparision: Jackson has 10/35/40/55. Means at distances where Jacks already drops towards distant range modifier values, Hetzer still uses long range modifier.

Pershing is again different with 10/25/40/60 (max range 65). Panther has 15/30/45/55 and Tiger has 15/30/45/60. That means that at mid range it might be that both use different brackets. (I know devs, there is no "cut" but a steady decrease of pen/accuracy throughout a bracket. Nontheless the units might have different modifiers applied.

Brackets should be set 15/30/45/60. Usually matching with max range. However i am not sure how to handle those with basic range 70. Would their guns not lose pen from 60 range onwards or not, idk. But usually these guns are so massive that it doesnt matter since it would pen their target anyways most of the time.

The accuracy should be dependend on the gun. Ofc those with long barrel, high velocity etc should have quite decent range that falls smoothly till max range. Right now most gun accuracy drops down like waterfall. From 100% at 25 range to 75% at 40 range where it stands. So within 15 Range (Allied grenade range) the accuracy drops from 100% to 75%. Shall these 15 range decide about death or win?

What if manage to get as close 41 range, which when facing a big tank with a small medium tank is already a huge task. Should he not get rewared with a chance to hit it better as when shooting from max range?

It also causes these big dump fails where your tank fails to hit a landship from close ranges or when a successfull flanking maneuver ends with a silly fail shot.

Thats why brackets should be 15/30/45/60 at least. And accuracy, at least for longer high velocity guns, to be 1/1/0.9/0.85. Lower velocity guns like those of normal shermans can ofc stay lower. Others, like panther, can still be as high as now.

CGarr wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 00:33

The funny part is that realistically, pretty much everything except the super heavies could be disabled in some way frontally by a 28mm, and HE from everything 50mm or bigger was a lot more capable than portrayed in game. So technically speaking, pen could be relatively standardized and accuracy/range could be made the determining factor while still maintaining some degree of realism. Doing so would probably make armored engagements far easier to balance in the long run, although obviously the initial revamp would take a long time, so this sort of balance is just a pipe dream of mine ig. That's why I would instead say that we should have pen chances be the RNG factor, with accuracy being consistently high. Range would still be a determining factor in a lot of fights, and Axis would still often have the edge, so I don't think they'd complain too much with this style of balance.

If you remember my topic about tank ammo upgrades, it would be cool to have them expensive in the upgrade and free to use and AP/HE would be a permanent and switched between.

That way tanks that cant pen the target might use HE in order to cause a immobilization hit. Current HE tanks are doing it currently from time to time, immobilizing a unit way bigger than itself.

Would be cool to have HE to be from tactical importance even from tank to tank engagments by making tanks switching between them rather than single shot abilities.
Last edited by Warhawks97 on 07 Jan 2021, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

As for jackson:

- accuracy increased to 100%\100%\90%\85%
- faster reload
- same range than panther
Jackson + ambush mode already has same range as Panther, this way u r asking for jackson to have more range than Panther, which isn't justified in my opinion.

Jackson B1 already has faster reload AND more range than Panthers/Tigers with static mode.

So, that's 2 points unjustified.

i wouldn't mind the accuracy buff though. Despite i think they are already accurate enough currently...

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

What’s the point of static mode for Jackson B1 when it’s usually dead in one hit from Panthers/Tigers/and above?

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Krieger Blitzer

Jackson B1 has enough health to withstand 2 hits from a Tiger/Panther. it usually requires 2 hits, it has Sherman chassis.. but the armor is better than that of a Sherman, so the Jackson B1 can actually bounce off Tiger/Panther shells.. not rarely at all. And L/48 guns bounce very often too! it's the regular jackson that is dead in 1 hit.. not the B1.

And btw, B1 doesn't die with Luft strafe either.. but the regular jackson does, along with Hellcats & Achilles.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 16:08
Jackson B1 has enough health to withstand 2 hits from a Tiger/Panther. it usually requires 2 hits, it has Sherman chassis.. but the armor is better than that of a Sherman, so the Jackson B1 can actually bounce off Tiger/Panther shells.. not rarely at all. And L/48 guns bounce very often too! it's the regular jackson that is dead in 1 hit.. not the B1.

And btw, B1 doesn't die with Luft strafe either.. but the regular jackson does, along with Hellcats & Achilles.
Not true:
5.2.0 Changelog wrote:- Changed the armor strength of M36B1 to about the same as 76mm Shermans
M36B1 still have 700HP, Panthers deal 500-650 damage per hit, Tigers deal 600-750 per hit. Both have a good chance to one-shot the B1, Tigers more than Panthers, but Panthers can still do it due to crits.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:

Nope. Jacks B has 76 sherman armor values. Jacks A has normal sherman armor values.
It used to have thick armor when it had M36 armor type. But that got changed over a year ago. So it doesnt withstand anything.

It has 700 HP that makes it survive a Panther hit. But Tiger has good chances to oneshot it. with its 600 to 750 damage.

Thing is it costs as much as a Panther but offers less.
The truth is that its just 100 MP cheaper than a Jagdpanther. And that one has more HP, 70 range by default and 80 with stat/ambush and cool abilties.

mofetagalactica

Post by mofetagalactica »

It also has a pretty high upkeep, just to add.

Krieger Blitzer

MarKr wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 17:24
Krieger Blitzer wrote:

Not true:
5.2.0 Changelog wrote:- Changed the armor strength of M36B1 to about the same as 76mm Shermans
M36B1 still have 700HP, Panthers deal 500-650 damage per hit, Tigers deal 600-750 per hit. Both have a good chance to one-shot the B1, Tigers more than Panthers, but Panthers can still do it due to crits.
Aaaah, so.. the armor-type of the Jackson recently got changed?
That's interesting, haven't been keeping up enough with the changes due to studies.. so that one got slipped away off my eyes.

@Hawks
Jackson.A cost was lowered to 600MP/75F - 4CP (from 650MP/90F - 5CP) and the B1 costs 700MP/110F - 5CP (inf doc) currently.

Panther.D costs 880MP/130F - 5CP in Luft doctrine & 680MP/110F - 6CP in Blitz doctrine.
Panther.A costs 770MP/140F (6CP) and Panther.G in Panzer Support costs same as JagdPanther (8CP - 850MP/150F) same amount of CPs are needed for Panther.G ACE also in Blitz doc.

Am i correct?

So.. the Jackson.A is actually much cheaper than any Panther. Therefore, i assume we are only talking about the B1 right now?
First off, i wouldn't compare it with jagdPanther or Panther.G anyhow, there is big difference in CP cost.

if we compare the B1 with Panther.D and Panther.A then i would say Jackson B1 should probably cost the same as Jackson.A but the performance of the jackson is absolutely fine.

Bottom line, from what i understand.. we should be discussing a cost reduction on Jackson.B1 and not performance.

mofetagalactica

Post by mofetagalactica »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 02:02

As for jackson:

- accuracy increased to 100%\100%\90%\85%
- faster reload
- same range than panther
Jackson + ambush mode already has same range as Panther, this way u r asking for jackson to have more range than Panther, which isn't justified in my opinion.

Jackson B1 already has faster reload AND more range than Panthers/Tigers with static mode.

So, that's 2 points unjustified.

i wouldn't mind the accuracy buff though. Despite i think they are already accurate enough currently...
I was talking about Jackson A:

"Jackson + ambush mode already has same range as Panther, this way u r asking for jackson to have more range than Panther, which isn't justified in my opinion. "

Should be nerf default ranges for tank hunter units with standard medium range such as stug4, hetzer, jagds,hellcats,m10s. Just because they will have more range than other tanks from the same class? So when they're in camo they wouldn't have far more range than other mediums?
Oh yeah lets do the same with big tank hunters, nerf their default range to be less than pershing/panther, cause in cammo they have more range :) :)

Its a 90mm cannon and a fast glass cannon movible tank hunter (wich should have faster reload just like his brothers of the same kind), there is no excuse to not give it the same range than pershing/panther.

Krieger Blitzer

mofetagalactica wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 23:07
I was talking about Jackson A:

"Jackson + ambush mode already has same range as Panther, this way u r asking for jackson to have more range than Panther, which isn't justified in my opinion. "

Should be nerf default ranges for tank hunter units with standard medium range such as stug4, hetzer, jagds,hellcats,m10s. Just because they will have more range than other tanks from the same class? So when they're in camo they wouldn't have far more range than other mediums?
Oh yeah lets do the same with big tank hunters, nerf their default range to be less than pershing/panther, cause in cammo they have more range :) :)

Its a 90mm cannon and a fast glass cannon movible tank hunter (wich should have faster reload just like his brothers of the same kind), there is no excuse to not give it the same range than pershing/panther.
i think you are missing the point here.. jackson isn't exactly at the same class as Pershing/Panther/Tigers.
Generally speaking, it does have a 90mm cannon.. so it should be on their class; however... it's an early available high class TD.

You see; Stugs/Fireflys/Wolverines/Hellcats/Hetzers, etc.. are all available about the same time with similar characteristics & price, therefore they are all considered to be at the same class.

The story is different with the Jackson though.. it's supposedly a high tier TD that should counter late game heavies, yet.. it's available as early as lower class mediums. So, the question here... What exactly should the jackson primarily counter?? Pz4s & Stugs? or.. Tigers & Panthers?

That's why i'm deeply concerned about buffing the jackson too much.. as it could entirely dominate mediums, while yet outmatching the heavies.

Conclusion:
We discuss tanks individually, on unit per unit basis. So, if a tank has some sort of an ability.. that doesn't necessarily mean that another tank should get the same ability too just because the first one has it!!

i wouldn't touch the jackson reload/accuracy or gun range. if you are speaking of the Jackson.A then there is nothing to complain about.. it's much cheaper compared to Tigers/Panthers.. and thus, earlier available too.

But if we were to speak about the B1 jackson, then i think it should cost less.. likely the same as Jackson.A and that's it.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 23:44

i think you are missing the point here.. jackson isn't exactly at the same class as Pershing/Panther/Tigers.
Generally speaking, it does have a 90mm cannon.. so it should be on their class; however... it's an early available high class TD.

You see; Stugs/Fireflys/Wolverines/Hellcats/Hetzers, etc.. are all available about the same time with similar characteristics & price, therefore they are all considered to be at the same class.

The story is different with the Jackson though.. it's supposedly a high tier TD that should counter late game heavies, yet.. it's available as early as lower class mediums. So, the question here... What exactly should the jackson primarily counter?? Pz4s & Stugs? or.. Tigers & Panthers?
Nashorn is the same. Doesnt cost many CP, is cheaper than Jacks, has 70 default range and 80 in ambush and counters pretty much everything.

Same for Jagdpanzer IV/70.

So that logic wouldnt apply here.

That's why i'm deeply concerned about buffing the jackson too much.. as it could entirely dominate mediums, while yet outmatching the heavies.

Conclusion:
We discuss tanks individually, on unit per unit basis. So, if a tank has some sort of an ability.. that doesn't necessarily mean that another tank should get the same ability too just because the first one has it!!

i wouldn't touch the jackson reload/accuracy or gun range. if you are speaking of the Jackson.A then there is nothing to complain about.. it's much cheaper compared to Tigers/Panthers.. and thus, earlier available too.

But if we were to speak about the B1 jackson, then i think it should cost less.. likely the same as Jackson.A and that's it.
However i share the concern. Jacks would become the "go for unit" that totally anihilates german medium armor.
Its mobility advantage and turret would make it far more suited for offensive actions that nashorn.

And the IV/70 is too slugish to actually hunt something and snipe it from range like Jacks could do and doesnt oneshot targets and has standard reload times like Panther.

So i am also against a flat range buff on jacks, esspecially when it comes earlier in future.

Fixing accuracy and dropping the MP cost to 500 MP and 650 MP for A and B as well as gun accuracy fix (and range brackets) would already help to make it a less risky investment that drains your MP pool so drastically that there is barely anything left for offensive units.

Krieger Blitzer

Warhawks97 wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 00:03

Nashorn is the same. Doesnt cost many CP, is cheaper than Jacks, has 70 default range and 80 in ambush and counters pretty much everything.

Same for Jagdpanzer IV/70.

So that logic wouldnt apply here.
Ya, i didn't mention those for the same reasons you described later on:
Warhawks97 wrote:
However i share the concern. Jacks would become the "go for unit" that totally anihilates german medium armor.
Its mobility advantage and turret would make it far more suited for offensive actions that nashorn.

And the IV/70 is too slugish to actually hunt something and snipe it from range like Jacks could do and doesnt oneshot targets and has standard reload times like Panther.
So ya, exactly that.

Warhawks97 wrote:
So i am also against a flat range buff on jacks, esspecially when it comes earlier in future.

Fixing accuracy and dropping the MP cost to 500 MP and 650 MP for A and B as well as gun accuracy fix (and range brackets) would already help to make it a less risky investment that drains your MP pool so drastically that there is barely anything left for offensive units.
Then we potentially agree.