Recon limit

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Warhawks97

Recon limit

Post by Warhawks97 »

The more i played on bigger maps (eg 1 vs 1 on 2vs2 maps and so on) the more felt that there is a severe lack of reconassaince options when you just get two recons.

So i would ask to increase the limit of this unit or to remove it completely.

As PE i had sometimes 3-4 krads to keep track on every movment that gave me a big advantage actually.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Re: Recon limit

Post by Walderschmidt »

I’d be okay with increasing the limit to three or four.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

I'd rather more recon units like the vampyre be available than more spotters.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

CGarr wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 03:16
I'd rather more recon units like the vampyre be available than more spotters.
Or more recon options like planes or flares.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

US captains could gain a recon plane ability like that of Airborne Doctrine at vet 1 or 2. Same price (50 muni) but maybe a longer cooldown.
The Americans using planes for scouting fits historically, too.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Diablo wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 15:16
US captains could gain a recon plane ability like that of Airborne Doctrine at vet 1 or 2. Same price (50 muni) but maybe a longer cooldown.
The Americans using planes for scouting fits historically, too.
I like this idea a lot.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

mofetagalactica

Post by mofetagalactica »

Flares that reveal cammoed units and the zone around is a big yes.

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

mofetagalactica wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 21:16
Flares that reveal cammoed units and the zone around is a big yes.
This.

Vision really isn't a big issue for US and WH, even on big maps like Blija. I should've clarified that I am not necessarily against this idea itself so much as just against it in the sense that I think the devs would be annoyed if we complained about just this when more pressing issues concerning recon like the lack of non-sacrificial detection options for countering cloaked units. I know jeeps and bikes exist, but to claim that you should be forced to just throw away manpower if you want to actively find cloaked units is ridiculous, especially when dealing with a defensive wall of them, which all factions are capable of forming. Players shouldn't be forced to just sit there and play whack-a-mole with arty and gamble losing their units in highly telegraphed smoke-covered pushes if the RNG gods aren't smiling upon them when an AT gun fires into the smoke at their tank.

I don't think defensive play is a bad thing, but to cater to the kind of defensive play that relies on the opponent simply not having the tools to even see what kind of BS they're about to walk into (even when the attacker has a massive resource advantage in terms of fuel or muni) seems counterproductive to improving gameplay for all players. I think one of the main reasons that a large portion of the BK community currently likes on this kind of ambush heavy defensive playstyle is because attacking is so much more difficult and risky. Defenders should have an advantage in terms of positioning and the ability to field slower but stronger units effectively in that engagement, but attackers should at least have the initiative in that they should have the option to push the weakest point if they are willing to go through the trouble of gathering intelligence before making the push (which in this case would be finding at least some of the cloaked units).

To someone who might argue that this kind of unit could be abused by the defenders, sure they will never be taken by surprise. That does not mean they will be adequately prepared to deal with the push assuming equal skill. The amount of time they have to respond is always going to be less than that which the attacker had to plan, as they never know exactly when an attack will come until it is committed, and they may be too late in moving their units to deal with this.

Additionally, they are going to be at a disadvantage in terms of raw manpower in the engagement by default if they spent resources on the detector unit. Obviously, this assumes that the detector unit has a reasonably high price for its utility, making it a costly investment, but that shouldn't be difficult to implement as these units aren't core units and can be ridiculously expensive without effecting the overall game.

As such, I would at least want more flares and stuff as an option for detecting cloaked units. The best solution in my opinion would be dedicated units like the vampyre for every faction, but I'm not sure that everyone would agree.