LMG42 vs MG34

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
winterflaw

LMG42 vs MG34

Post by winterflaw »

So, Wehr Grenadiers can be equipped with an LMG42.

Stormtroopers can be given an MG34.

How do they differ, in the game?

Is the 34 significantly inferior?

The New BK Champion

Re: LMG42 vs MG34

Post by The New BK Champion »

Only about 8MG worse, still worth it tho

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

lmg42 has higher rof and more damage per bullet.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

I'd actually like the storms to be given the MG42, given that I'd think they'd all be given 'modern' machine guns given the status of their formations, rather than the volksgrenadiers.

G
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

Yeah, I wondered about that.

It's an earlier version of the weapon, why would they get it?

Volks yes, for sure. On vehicles yes, for sure - the extra weight isn't a problem.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

Mg42 and MG34 are given depending of the units capabilities.(in general)

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

winterflaw wrote:Yeah, I wondered about that.

It's an earlier version of the weapon, why would they get it?

Volks yes, for sure. On vehicles yes, for sure - the extra weight isn't a problem.

its not really an earlier version. The MG34 was considered superior in terms of quality, esspecially during shooting you could keep an overview and having a better aim. MG42 was "shaking" the user a lot more. Thing with Mg34 was that it required clean Bullets, means you had to carry boxes. The MG42 belts could be carried arround the neck etc and taking some durt.

There had been early higher quality Mg42´s that could switch between 900 rpm for normal use and 1200-1500 for AA use. But to maintain easy production they just went with the high rof (it was only a last resort AA weapon anyway as at this time small arms had little impact as aa weapons against airplanes).
The reason why vehicles used the Mg34 was not weight, it was the way barrel was exchanged. It was impossible to exchange Mg42 barrels a coax/hull position.

If you ask me i wouldnt divide the weapons into `better´ and `worse´. I would make them differently.... idk how exactly. MG34 with better accuracy and MG42 higher rof and cheaper to purchase as its main reason of existence was not to imporve the quality but to increase production rate and lowering the cost.
But in game its a straight up improvment. MG42 has same accuracy as MG34 but much higher rof (10 bullets more per sec) and a `cheated´ bullet damage which idk why its there. When i made a test version with MG42 using Mg34 bullet damage, it still shredded very well.

LMG 34:
Damage: 16-20
Accuracy max range: 0.1
Rof: 15
Mag size: 50
Bursts before reload: 2
Reload time: 6-6,5

LMG42:
Damage: 17-22
Accuracy max range: 0.1
Rof: 25
Bursts before reload: 2
Reload time: 6-6,5

M1919A6:
Damage: 16-20
Accuracy max range: 0.2
Rof: 8
Bursts before reload: 5
Reload time: 5-5,5

Bren lmg:
Damage: 12-17
Accuracy max range: 0.2
Rof: 8
Mag size: 30
Bursts before reload: 3
Reload time: 4

I just made this small comparision to give you guys an idea about the weapons.
I would like to make the LMG34 to be superior in one aspect at least over the LMG42. And that extra bullet damage is unnecessary for the lmg42.
The LMG 34 accuracy could be in between of the A6 and the LMG42. Perhaps LMg34 has only better accuracy at longer ranges over the LMG42 which would make equal/better to LMG42 while LMG42 will be the most brutal lmg you could get for closer/mid ranges.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

Warhawks97 wrote:its not really an earlier version. The MG34 was considered superior in terms of quality, esspecially during shooting you could keep an overview and having a better aim. MG42 was "shaking" the user a lot more.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'll see if I can find some YouTube videos of 34s.

The reason why vehicles used the Mg34 was not weight, it was the way barrel was exchanged. It was impossible to exchange Mg42 barrels a coax/hull position.

Ah yes - I read this, but I forgot.

If you ask me i wouldnt divide the weapons into `better´ and `worse´. I would make them differently.... idk how exactly. MG34 with better accuracy and MG42 higher rof and cheaper to purchase as its main reason of existence was not to imporve the quality but to increase production rate and lowering the cost.

MG42 also lighter, I think?

Ironically, BKM charges less muni for the 34 than the 42 =-)

But in game its a straight up improvment. MG42 has same accuracy as MG34 but much higher rof (10 bullets more per sec) and a `cheated´ bullet damage which idk why its there. When i made a test version with MG42 using Mg34 bullet damage, it still shredded very well.

Sounds like we should ask for a fix for this.

I just made this small comparision to give you guys an idea about the weapons.
I would like to make the LMG34 to be superior in one aspect at least over the LMG42. And that extra bullet damage is unnecessary for the lmg42.
The LMG 34 accuracy could be in between of the A6 and the LMG42. Perhaps LMg34 has only better accuracy at longer ranges over the LMG42 which would make equal/better to LMG42 while LMG42 will be the most brutal lmg you could get for closer/mid ranges.

Perhaps it can be argued 34 should have higher muni costs - it did in real-life; part of the reason for the 42 was to use more modern manufacturing processes, and a design using much less in the way of rare metals.

I don't see anything wrong with a weapon being more expensive and less effective, if it reflects how weapons really did behave and what they actually cost.

Of course, you then have to see if this really still works in game, since the game is not able to be fully true to life.