Mortar rounds tracking targets?

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
winterflaw

Mortar rounds tracking targets?

Post by winterflaw »

Mmm.

You know how an AT round once fired tracked the target?

I'm pretty sure I just had that with a mortar round, and is really not what you expect from something which takes an appreciable time in the air.

I had two PE AG squads out, together.

One was capping a point, the other was on guard.

An American mortar team came into sight at long range. I sent the on guard squad toward it. After a short while I thought the mortar probably would aim at the squad capping the point, higher priority target. The first squad is still moving toward the target (halfway) and I decide to move the other squad as well - it begins to sprint toward the mortar.

The mortar fires - a little later, the first squad has closed the distance to the mortar and opens up, The second squad is en route.

*The mortar round then finally lands, and on the first squad* - and that squad has moved a long way since the mortar fired.

EIther the AI fired *predicting the movement of the squad*, which I do not think it does, *or* the mortar round did what the AT rounds do - it came down onto the target, regardless of how the target moved after firing.

winterflaw

Re: Mortar rounds tracking targets?

Post by winterflaw »

These guys are clearly not firing mortar rounds but in fact German acoustic homing torpedoes.

"Hans! get zer torpedo in zer tube! zat vill give zer Americanas a surprise! ha ha ha!"

"But Hans, zer is a problem!"

"Vot??!"

"Zer torpedo is six meters long!"

"Vell, just get as much in as you can!"

(they load the mortar)

"FIRE!"

***BANG!!!***

"Hans you fool! zer ODER end goes in first!!"

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

This is a known thing. Every time when in the game something shoots (very few exceptions) the game "rolls" if it is a hit or a miss (calculation based on many factors) the game then does not diferentiate between a direct shooting and an indirect shooting weapon - hit is a hit no matter if the target moves or not. Mortars can do this when you give them order to attack specific target (so NOT using the barrage ability). Mortars have quite low accuracy so it happens quite rarely but it can happen. The same can happen with bazookas or schrecks - sometimes the rockets look like quided ones when they "chase" target - especially noticeable with quick-moving units.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

just for info... I would like to add:

When the game engine calculates a "hit" it's still possible for this calculation to be dismissed.. in 3 cases.

- Case 1, if the targetted unit moves out of range.. the physics engine will create a script similar to the following:

Spoiler: show
<<_tracking.target01#terrain01#sample01X_.score

_in_range#1=true_#00_on
_in_range#2=null_#00
_in_range#3=false_#00
_in_range#4=error_#00_off
_in_range#5=x_sample.value_a
_in_range#6=x_sample.value_b
_in_range#7=x_sample.value_c
_total_result=#sample_end>>

- Case 2, if unexpected obstacle blocks the track route.. the physics engine will create a script similar to this:

_var a; // .variable
_var b = "entity"; // .string
_var c = "in" + "sample" + "route"; // = "route_#"
_var d = 1 + 2 + "3"; // = "route_33"
_var e = [2,3,5,8]; // a_b_t_y
_var f = false; // null
_var g = /()/; // RegEx
_var h = function(00){}; // function_object
_const PI = 3.14; // constant_value
_var a = 1, b = 2, c = a + b; // line_interval
_let z = 'xyz_sample'; // block_scope_local_variable

- Case 3, complicated calculation error.. the engine fails to create a result, a script like this will be generated:

dos.String(0200); // convert_string: results_"dos.ID"
dos.join("0000 * 0099"); // join: "dos * // * Labrador"
dos.pop(0400); // remove last element
dos.push("multiplier"); // add new element_end00
dos[dos.length] = "result_end"; // sample_00_dublicate
dos.shift(0500); // remove_first_element
dos.unshift("false"); // add_new_element_generator
delete dos[0]; // change_element_undefined
dos.splice(4, 0, "p.u.x",); // add_elements_01_02_03
vartix = dos.concat(sample_field_error); // join_array
dos.slice(1,4); // elements_from [1] : [4-1]
dos.sort(0110); // sort_string_alpha
dos.reverse(00); // sort_string_omega
x.sort(function(a, b){return a - b}); // numeric_sort
x.sort(function(a, b){return b - a}); // numeric_descending_sort
highest = x[0]; // first_item_in_sorted_array_lowest//highest_value_#00
x.sort(function(a, b){return 0.5 - mth.random(0550)}); // random_order_sort//end_error.

Afterwards the game will most likely crash in this case...

Example of this 3rd case from Bk Mod;
When a soldier attempts to throw sticky grenade and a tank runs over him at the exact same time.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Sorry tiger, I don't think those are the scripts you were looking for. They're structured as if to define variables and settings, not necessarily why the game would behave a certain way or lead to a crash.

The answer to the question was already provided by Markr, more simply it's an editable attribute rather than an actual engine issue. I'm pretty sure it can be fixed in corsix, don't need to go that far back and they don't even look like the right scripts.

But to really fix it, I personally think mortars should only be fired through ability and not automatically, kind of like other artillery in the game. Afterall, they are artillery.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

I have to say I am very disappointed there were no +1s for my amazing "Hans & Hans, zer Mortar Team" skit! :-)

You lot clearly uncultured and probably all Bavarians ;-)

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I motion for the moderators of the forum to memorialize the skit.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

kwok wrote:I motion for the moderators of the forum to memorialize the skit.

YAY! WOOHOO! FAME!!