luftwafe bombing run

Do you have a bug to report? Do this right here.
lunarwolf

luftwafe bombing run

Post by lunarwolf »

luft bombing run cost 215 munitions and gets shot down by base AA before it reaches map, this happens about half the time. improvement over last patch but still needs to be fixed.

am I just unlucky or have u had similar issues?

Thx

FYI - just tested on standard CoH map -> achelous river

Warhawks97

Re: luftwafe bombing run

Post by Warhawks97 »

the AA is pretty effective. Just try not to fly directly towards it. And btw its not only an "axis" problem.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

lunarwolf

Post by lunarwolf »

maybe not an axis only problem. but makes it expensive for 200+ munitions when it doesn't work as intended. I understand missing target if it moves - also its not just AA that shoot the planes, Sherman tank mg also shoot. I guess if u add all those extra guns it adds firepower.

this is fine and seems logical but then maybe a reduced munitions cost is in order. because paying over 1/3 of munitions cap for bombing run which works intermittently is fairly expensive, esp when u consider a callipole can rain hellfire of 90 rockets for over 40 sec and only costs 90 munitions vs 215 for a bombing run which may get shot down before delivering its payload. in fact I think callipole big barrage needs to be a lot more expensive - at least 150-200 munitions for 90 rockets

my 2 cents

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

The base AAs have been nerfed quite a lot. However on most maps team bases are pretty near to each other so when a plane flies in the direction of the bases, usually at least 4 and sometimes even more than 6 emplacements fire at it which leaves little chance for the plane to survive. If we nerf it further then the base AAs will be useless (against planes) on those maps where bases are further away from each other.

Simply don't send planes in the direction of AAs.

A small hint for you:

Every AA (no matter if static or vehicle) has a radius around it self and only starts firing at the plane if the plane's flight path crosses this radius otherwise the AA ignores the plane completely.
Example:
Arrows with numbers = flight paths of planes<br />AA = AA position<br />Circle around AA = the radius around AA I spoke of above
Arrows with numbers = flight paths of planes
AA = AA position
Circle around AA = the radius around AA I spoke of above

So...the flight paths 1,2 and 3 intersect the radius around AA position so the AA starts firing at the plane immediately after it enters the map
However the flight paths 4, 5 and 6 do not lead throught the radius and so the AA will not fire at the plane at all (unless it is a movable AA and it would move away in the flight path of the plane)

Now when you know this you should be able to choose safer paths for your planes.

Hope this helped.

lunarwolf

Post by lunarwolf »

I understand that mark, but unfortunately extra large maps are not very good for the most part - esp custom maps. I usually prefer medium sized maps (or reasonable sized large maps, not those that should be labelled extra large) and on those it is difficult to avoid intersecting AA. for instance a map like montherme, duclair etc... its hard to avoid. on montherme ideally u want to bomb in middle of map in a north to south direction (or vice versa) in order to drop on a moving formation that is heading that way ie. you want to drop in the direction that it is heading, anticipating where the units will be when the bombs make contact with the ground. bombing east/west heading on such a map is silly in a non static game. hope you undertand what I am trying to say. it's not like the AA shoot down the plane over the base. they shoot the plane before it enters the map, so its not just a radius thing, it's much more

anyway I think air power is still weird, because the 300 munitions anti tank call ins don't suffer from AA. not to the extent of bombing runs anyway, because they can still be effective

and when I tested I was playing achelous river with only 1 opponent on slot 1 which only has 1 AA emplacement

anyway I am OK if this intended, as I said it is logical. but then I think we need to rethink the cost of these bombing runs which for some reason are more expensive than any other arty (cost vary from 50 to 125 munitions vs 200+ for a bombing run) by a big factor and not nearly as effective. because u can move out of the way. whereas arty doesn't show up on radar until it lands on top of you ;)

anyway just my 2 cents - I respect your opinions. just curious if others shared mine :)

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

lunarwolf wrote:maybe not an axis only problem. but makes it expensive for 200+ munitions when it doesn't work as intended. I understand missing target if it moves - also its not just AA that shoot the planes, Sherman tank mg also shoot. I guess if u add all those extra guns it adds firepower.

this is fine and seems logical but then maybe a reduced munitions cost is in order. because paying over 1/3 of munitions cap for bombing run which works intermittently is fairly expensive, esp when u consider a callipole can rain hellfire of 90 rockets for over 40 sec and only costs 90 munitions vs 215 for a bombing run which may get shot down before delivering its payload. in fact I think callipole big barrage needs to be a lot more expensive - at least 150-200 munitions for 90 rockets

my 2 cents

what about 210 nebler? srsly... the 210 is a lot more devastating. Kills tanks with 1-2 hits and emplacments etc. A calli may shoots 90 rockets but those deal almost no damage to tanks and low damage to vehicles and no real damage to defensives. Also the long barrage makes calli a very vulnerable arty target and 800 mp call in requires more cp than any other arty unit in game.

Also i consider many global abilities as overpriced. Anything that eats half or more than 1/3 of total ammo storage is crazy a bit. Long tom 250 ammo is ok now. Some airstikes maybe still bit too expensive (esspecially when compared to off map arty strikes which cant be denied by AA and which strike without any warning).
Build more AA Walderschmidt

W4rSkuLL

Post by W4rSkuLL »

I agree bombing runs should become cheaper. 100 ammo is enough. On pair with nebels and calliope. Its frustrating to use 200 ammo on a plane then it gets shot down immidiatly. 200 ammo wasted for nothing while a calliope will destroy many units with its barrage. Not to mention arty which is deadly. If planes become cheaper more would play with Luftwaffe, Airborne and RAF.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

But with almost every patch bombing runs get cheaper and cheaper, and AA guns are working in more realistic way. Yea and Axis doesn't have air superiority anymore (Normandie '44) so every shot down plane is a huge lose for them ;). That is why the costs are high.