Sniper Aim Time

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
MenciusMoldbug

Sniper Aim Time

Post by MenciusMoldbug »

Currently, all sniper units act like level 100 call of duty players who partake in entertainment of MLG-1337-no-scoping their enemies to death. What I mean by this is you can 'back pedal' or 'kite' enemy infantry units with them because they immediately shoot as soon as their rifle points towards any enemy infantry unit. I know what the counters are to uncamouflaged snipers running around sniping people, but it does look a bit silly that a guy can just move back, do a 360 body flip, and immediately take a shot and blast some other guys head off.

I like what they did in COH 2 with snipers, where they gave them all aim times instead of letting them immediately take shots at people, I would like it if possible to give all snipers a 1 second aim time so people can't use them as long range rambo units to take on enemy infantry by themselves and more of a support unit that requires good positioning to help other squads and cause MP-attrition damage.

Warhawks97

Re: Sniper Aim Time

Post by Warhawks97 »

Would one sec of aiming make such a huge difference? When i started reading i thought first you would suggest like 3-5 secs. But i dont think one sec aim would change so much.

I am not against the idea, just idk if 1 sec is such a change to see a difference.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

MenciusMoldbug

Post by MenciusMoldbug »

Warhawks97 wrote:Would one sec of aiming make such a huge difference? When i started reading i thought first you would suggest like 3-5 secs. But i dont think one sec aim would change so much.

I am not against the idea, just idk if 1 sec is such a change to see a difference.

I don't know if it would make a big difference either, I imagine it like AT aim times where 2 seconds feels like an eternity and with enough adrenaline you can literally feel the milliseconds counting down.

Perhaps 2, 3, 4, or even 5 second aim time is good too, as it's not like it affects their cooldown rate on their rifles when enemy units are still in their range.

I just want to see less rambo sniper units, as currently I can do Officer + double sniper combo as US and that pretty much destroys PE(especially in high-res games) unless they bumrush the snipers since they can't really do much against them. This is most fatal when they are tank hunters(no counter snipers); PE bleeds so bad against them.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Lol what a Mencius thing to post.... only the guy with probably hands down best micro in the game able to exploit this can call this out.

I think Mencius is right, especially since I can’t pull this off so I’d rather it not be used against me. Also agreed 1 second in coh time is drastic enough for the most part. Would rather tune less than more and slowly get to a balanced state.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I would say 1.5 seconds aim time for Snipers.. and btw, I never liked the so called "rapid sniping" ability... Or whatever the name is!
Regardless, I just think it should be removed... Don't know why should a sniper ever be able to wipe out a 6 men squad in less than 10 seconds.

The New BK Champion

Post by The New BK Champion »

I agree, snipers are cancer. I'd welcome any nerfs

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

having 2 sec for AT guns or 2 for snipers is a difference. 2 sec can be enough for vehicles to escape from the fire area of AT guns, but 1 sec for snipers will barely have any impact if any. He has huge range (thus starts aiming long before enemie gets into range) and infantry moves slowly anyway (and snipers have no fire arc). So to have any meaningfull impact it would need 2 seconds minimum.

The first time ever that everybody agrees so clearly on something :D

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Warhawks97 wrote:The first time ever that everybody agrees so clearly on something :D

warhawks is right. this is a problem. hope this gets fixed next patch.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

mofetagalactica

Post by mofetagalactica »

just logged in to say that snipers are cancer for this mod, and even for the vanilla game. Fucking hate them so are so un-fun.

Krieger Blitzer

I would just like to draw the attention that if snipers would have aim time.. then it will no longer be possible to hunt snipers, by using snipers.
Because, the time of which the sniper is revealed after firing.. is hardly 1 second before he disappears again...
So; spotters will be a MUST in order to counter snipers, with snipers.

The only unit that will be able to hunt snipers once they are revealed, is the Rifle Section squad with its sniper ability...
I'm not sure if aim time should also be added to this ability then!

The New BK Champion

Post by The New BK Champion »

Tiger1996 wrote:I would just like to draw the attention that if snipers would have aim time.. then it will no longer be possible to hunt snipers, by using snipers.
Because, the time of which the sniper is revealed after firing.. is hardly 1 second before he disappears again...
So; spotters will be a MUST in order to counter snipers, with snipers.

The only unit that will be able to hunt snipers once they are revealed, is the Rifle Section squad with its sniper ability...
I'm not sure if aim time should also be added to this ability then!

That's a valid point. Maybe the time when sniper is revealed could also last 2 seconds longer?

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

well. Perhaps make it similiar to german TD: First shot keeps them revealed, second makes them visible for some time unless the player uses the manaul crawl mode. But that would add some micro and its not that you place them somwhere and relax for the most time. Like you let him make a shot and decide to ceasfire for some time or risking a second shot revealing him for a time.

Also Snipers have HP as fuck: 140. A stormtrooper, the soldier with the most HP so far, has 95 just to get an idea. Those can be dropped to like 100 or so too. I did that in my test version and it worked out so far. They are deady but esspecially during retreat a bit easier to kill. Sometimes you follow them almost till their base with a jeep or something and they just dont die.

Krieger Blitzer

The New BK Champion wrote:That's a valid point. Maybe the time when sniper is revealed could also last 2 seconds longer?

Ya, that's what I was thinking.. though, not 2 seconds... As I believe that 2 seconds aim time for snipers will be actually a bit too extreme.
Specifically when keeping in mind that CoH engine always have some latency.. so, the 2 seconds will always feel more than that in the actual game.

I would rather suggest that we begin with 1.5 seconds aim time in the next beta at least for the sake of first trying it out...
And the reveal time for snipers after firing would always need to be slightly higher than their aim time.

Moreover; I think some aim time will also still need to be added either ways for the Rifle Section squad sniper ability then.

Warhawks97 wrote:Also Snipers have HP as fuck: 140. A stormtrooper, the soldier with the most HP so far, has 95 just to get an idea. Those can be dropped to like 100 or so too. I did that in my test version and it worked out so far. They are deady but esspecially during retreat a bit easier to kill. Sometimes you follow them almost till their base with a jeep or something and they just dont die.

Oh yes, specifically the RAF snipers... I think they have highest HP of all snipers.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Tiger1996 wrote:
Warhawks97 wrote:Also Snipers have HP as fuck: 140. A stormtrooper, the soldier with the most HP so far, has 95 just to get an idea. Those can be dropped to like 100 or so too. I did that in my test version and it worked out so far. They are deady but esspecially during retreat a bit easier to kill. Sometimes you follow them almost till their base with a jeep or something and they just dont die.

Oh yes, specifically the RAF snipers... I think they have highest HP of all snipers.

Nope, they dont, but probably they do get all the commando survival training upgrades+ they can use smoke.

Krieger Blitzer

Warhawks97 wrote:Nope, they dont, but probably they do get all the commando survival training upgrades+ they can use smoke.

Ya, that's what I meant.

Shanks

Post by Shanks »

Warhawks97 wrote:The first time ever that everybody agrees so clearly on something :D

Yes hahahhaha