Who's the Best BK Player?

Use only if your topic doesn't fit into one of the categories above.

Are you interested in being a part of a BK ELO/Ladder system?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 20

kwok
Team Member

Who's the Best BK Player?

Post by kwok »

Click bait topic.

But really, I thought about experimenting on creating an ELO or ladder system within the community for those who want to participate (aka care about their stats and pride).

The way I want to structure it is hosting a public place with players' names. When players want to play a "ranked game" they would both confirm it in chat in game, play the game, then post the replay here on the fourm. I would then log that game into some sort of calculation thing I'll make and let the ranking system update for players to check at any time.

Why would I want to do this?
Because personally, I love games. Not in the sense that I like playing video games, but philosophically I like studying game-like situations both in my personal gaming life and career. BK has given me a lot of opportunity to build my "game knowledge" so I thought I'd take my academic fascination further while providing a service back to the community.

Why would you want to do this?
After multiple failed attempts at creating a tournament, I think players really want some sort of tangible proof of their skill. It's natural in a competitive game to create a competitive environmen. I'd maintain it myself and update it publicly for player who want to participate (though I may not personally participate because I'm a coward).

Let me know what you guys think.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Krieger Blitzer

Re: Who's the Best BK Player?

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Hmm, interesting!

Frost

Post by Frost »

Yep i agree there should be system like that however im not taking a part on it

Frost
Cheers

|7th|Nighthawk

Post by |7th|Nighthawk »

Hm, sounds like a good idea but what good is it when you can opt out? I mean it would be kinda cool to get a ranking, especially so that you can play against "the next best player". This way would have a goal for improvement and slightly decrease the chance to just get rofl stomped. If you can opt out though, it's really probably only about the top 5-10, right?

It most certainly helps to read. So this is basically an endless tournament? How would you "weight" games though? Say you play as #5 against #1, will a win have the same effect as if you would play against #4? What about the total amount of wins?

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Great questions and something I’ve already thought about. I don’t have the details ironed out yet, I’m still researching how other games and competitions do it.

The best example I can think of is how a popular game like league of legends does it. Understandably, their calculations are hidden. (I will make mine public and free for criticism, after all this is an academic pursuit of mine). You have a solo point value that will increase/decrease when you win/lose a game. Based on each team’s total summed pre-game point values, a probability of winning will be calculated. The higher the probability, the less amount of points you will score at the end of the game if you win (and vice verse if you lose and vice verse if the lower probability of winning). What id really like is for the factors and probabilities of winning calculations to dynamically self adjust as more games are played, so scores will be more and more accurate as more games are played as a whole. So the more participants, the more accurate the scores will reflect a player’s skill.

In the long run, it might even be cool to have a tool that will help auto balance teams before a game starts. So say you start a lobby, you type in team member names or point values into an excel sheet and it spits out the best way to divide the teams.

Other questions in mind id like to hear from you guys: should axis vs allies scores for each player be separate? Should team size game rankings be separate (for example a player’s 2v2 ranking vs 3v3 ranking)? Should explicit rankings be public or private? Should it be a simple ladder or Elo system?
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

REALLY IMPORTANT NOTE:
One of my biggest worries about doing this is this will only fuel the community attitude problem we have. And I talked about this wald a lot.

My thought is I’d really like this to be a community effort. This will limit bias, help provide more transparent data for devs to balancing the game, and most of all give new players more transparency on finding mentors to learn the game. Yes, this will allow us to have empirical bragging rights on who is better than who, but if we as a community focus on building this system with a positive mentality, we can avoid turning this into an ugly clusterfuck that fuels immature behavior.

|7th|Nighthawk

Post by |7th|Nighthawk »

You'd also have to take the played faction into consideration. There would be quite a few players who will only go for one faction and that makes it harder to compare.

Henny

Post by Henny »

Hans is the best
Dankman is a good guy

The New BK Champion

Post by The New BK Champion »

I claim the title

Darkone7

Post by Darkone7 »

I know a guy in tunngle (knew, fuck you GDPR)

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

@panzerfather

If you're so so so interested in making lists of who is the best player, you don't need to discuss. You can just take a part of this project that I never got off the ground ages ago. A bunch of people said "yes" ages ago but never followed through in submitting replays so I couldn't actually do this.

I can revive this topic if need be and we can make another attempt at it.

I IMPLORE players to stop making arbitrary lists. I also IMPLORE players not to take rankings, stats, numbers, lists so seriously... IF WE DO make this ranking system I do NOT want it to turn into some bigger toxic fest. What I want to do is LESSEN the toxicity by adding some standardization in to the subjective. If that is not achieved, then we trash this ranking system again.

PanzarFather

Post by PanzarFather »

kwok wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 17:08
@panzerfather

If you're so so so interested in making lists of who is the best player, you don't need to discuss. You can just take a part of this project that I never got off the ground ages ago. A bunch of people said "yes" ages ago but never followed through in submitting replays so I couldn't actually do this.

I IMPLORE players to stop making arbitrary lists. I also IMPLORE players not to take rankings, stats, numbers, lists so seriously... IF WE DO make this ranking system I do NOT want it to turn into some bigger toxic fest. What I want to do is LESSEN the toxicity by adding some standardization in to the subjective. If that is not achieved, then we trash this ranking system again.
How will you fugure out who is the absolut best player then? What type of project is this? How does it work?
Are you going to do some sort of 1v1 type of contest?

PanzarFather

Post by PanzarFather »

kwok wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 17:08
@panzerfather

How will you fugure out who is the absolut best player then? What type of project is this? How does it work?
Are you going to do some sort of 1v1 type of contest?

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Elo ranking system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Whenever people submit a "ranked game" to me i enter the score into a public page and people can see how the score changes. calculations will be fully transparent. I can only do this if people submit replays though since I'll want actual proof of their games.
It also will to be consensual participation. Every player in the game will need to agree they want to be ranked.

I'll start everyone at 1000 and low K values.