COH/Blitz low framerate

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
atomicali

COH/Blitz low framerate

Post by atomicali »

Ok for some reason in the last week I have been unable to play COH or Blitz due to a low framerate.
This starts as soon as I enter the game setup with the background videos stuttering and pausing. If I persevere and actually get in to the game then the framerate is around 4 or 5 FPS.
If I set the game to run in windowed mode, it runs fine which suggests a driver or fullscreen issue of some sort.
So far I have tried uninstalling drivers and installing an older version.
Changing the launch parameters from -refresh 60 to nothing
Uninstalling all the COH and Blitz stuff, cleaning up and reinstalling.
Switching Antivirus (Kaspersky) off.
Tried reducing graphics settings right down to low with no effect.
System is
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Windows 10 64 bit version 1709 build 16299. All up to date.
Net connection is a 25/5 fixed wireless connection that has been running fine for several years.
All other games including the latest Call of Duty WWII, CoH2 and the old Battlefield 2 work fine.
DXDiag and warnings log attached in a zip file.

Normally I am very good at sorting this sort of thing out but for once I am at a total loss.
2 of my friends also seem to have the same issue.
Attachments
Blitz.zip
(20.81 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Kr0noZ
Global Moderator

Re: COH/Blitz low framerate

Post by Kr0noZ »

Did you set Shader Quality to Ultra? If yes, step it down to high - that thing is borked since the game was made.
Also, does it happen without mods running?
Furthermore, what happens if you play in window mode (just try it out for once, I'd like to know if that makes any difference).
"Normal people belive... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe... if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
- Scott Adams

atomicali

Post by atomicali »

As I said above windowed mode works ok. Seems to run smooth.
And yes went through all the graphics settings as per the Graphics settings and common problems threads.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I bet it's your GeForce Experience software... From settings, make sure your games aren't set to be automatically optimized.. then un-install your GeForce Experience and give it a try.

If that doesn't work, then maybe try running your game as administrator.. and then as comparability mode for Win7. You could also check your Nvidia control panel and make sure your game is using your Nvidia GPU rather than anything else.

atomicali

Post by atomicali »

Thanks for the reply Tiger GF experience not installed, I hate that sort of addon crap.
Running as admin no difference.
Yes tried 7 and XP compatibility modes. No difference.

Ok been playing around with Nvidia control panel and Turning vertical Sync off seems to fix the problem.
Rather than make this a global setting I have done it under Manage 3d settings > Program settings.
Added CoH then set Vertical Sync to off for just this game. Applied the changes and so far so good.

Would be nice to know what changed to cause the issue, but happy with it potentially being fixed. Will have to do more testing to make sure I am not getting any screen tearing and the like.
Thanks for the suggestions that pointed me in the right direction. Will see how it goes tonight.

Kr0noZ
Global Moderator

Post by Kr0noZ »

Good to know that you found a possible solution. Let us know how it goes.

As for the cause, did you recently update your drivers for the card? While nVidia drivers are usually ok, sometimes they just release some rather crappy ones. They probably did that to fix a problem with a much more modern game but broke it for some older ones in the process.
"Normal people belive... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe... if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
- Scott Adams

atomicali

Post by atomicali »

Kr0noZ wrote:Good to know that you found a possible solution. Let us know how it goes.

As for the cause, did you recently update your drivers for the card? While nVidia drivers are usually ok, sometimes they just release some rather crappy ones. They probably did that to fix a problem with a much more modern game but broke it for some older ones in the process.

I did yes but pretty sure the game ran ok after that. However I did uninstall that driver and install the older one again just in case.
Possibly a windows update broke something as there was a couple of updates around the time the problem started.
Didn't get to play this evening so not sure yet if the fix is totally successful, hopefully tomorrow night Australian time.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

It's good to know that you apparently found a solution on the Nvidia control panel, though... I would never suggest keeping an older graphics driver.

And by the way, there is another way to disable vsync without missing around with your Nvidia control panel at all, you could simply right click your game from your Steam library and choose properties then set a launch option for your CoH by typing "-novsync" into the text line. Though, I wouldn't really consider turning off vsync as an ultimate solution... I mean, your GPU is powerful enough to run this game with absolute ease. So, I think we still need to figure out the source of the issue, you are supposed to play this game at max settings with no problems encountered whatsoever.

Regarding the GeForce Experience, I would say it's both good and bad at the same time.. it's true that the application itself is often buggy and full of glitches. Nonetheless, the same application includes an impressive software called "ShadowPlay" which is essentially important for somebody like me who upload videos for example, since I believe it's by far the BEST recording software I have ever come across, specifically on Win10 of course.
The only downside is how it creates huge file sizes, but it's always possible to compress those files into much smaller size using other programs at the cost of just a very slight quality loss, which is almost negligible actually.

Anyway, here are some tips about Win10 which I believe are somewhat worth mentioning... Obviously there is noway to disable Windows 10 updates, however.. there is a workaround; if you wish to stop your Windows updates, you could disable the following 3 Windows Services:

- Go to your Windows Services and disable "Delivery Optimization" as well as "Background intelligent Transfer Service" and lastly "Windows Update Service" but while disabling them, make sure to set all your service "recovery" options of those 3 particular services to "take no action" otherwise they would automatically be enabled again later on.

You could also perform some disk clean-up to your OS local drive of the "system files" where u will find the option to eliminate the "previous windows update installation files" which often consumes HUGE space, up to 50 GB or more, being absolutely useless...

Also, it's recommended to disable your "Windows 10 Gaming Mode" since it's not really optimized with CoH by the way.

Hope this info could be somewhat helpful :)

atomicali

Post by atomicali »

Tiger1996 wrote:
Also, it's recommended to disable your "Windows 10 Gaming Mode" since it's not really optimized with CoH by the way.

Already disabled. :-)

Obviously there is noway to disable Windows 10 updates, however.. there is a workaround; if you wish to stop your Windows updates

Not generally a fan of disabling Windows updates unless there is a specific known issue with one update.

You could also perform some disk clean-up to your OS local drive of the "system files"

Yep that's a regular maintenance job given the size of Win 10 updates.

Tor

Post by Tor »

Windows 10 realy bad for COH-1, i have so many errors, infantry without texture and 90% models, game freezing.

Vega1707
Global Moderator

Post by Vega1707 »

I use Windows 10 and it works quite good for me.
Maybe you need higher settings? I seem to remember this was the issue most of the times when something like this happend

Tor

Post by Tor »

After new windows 10 update, i can't play low or high shaders, only ultra works.

lunarwolf

Post by lunarwolf »

atomicali wrote:Ok been playing around with Nvidia control panel and Turning vertical Sync off seems to fix the problem.
Rather than make this a global setting I have done it under Manage 3d settings > Program settings.
Added CoH then set Vertical Sync to off for just this game. Applied the changes and so far so good.

thx - this sorted same issue

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

If you have problems since last windows update:

Right click on RelicCOH.exe and select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and check the box that says "Disable fullscreen optimizations"

Worked for me.

atomicali

Post by atomicali »

Wolf wrote:If you have problems since last windows update:

Right click on RelicCOH.exe and select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and check the box that says "Disable fullscreen optimizations"

Worked for me.

Cheers Wolf will give it a try when I play next.

Jalis

Post by Jalis »

Win 10 is not that worst once some specific adjustement have been made ( such as disable full screen opti).

Last days I managed to connected two w10 computers for multiplayers tests on steams. It included up to 6 AI and very high population and I didnt detected WIN 10 performed significantly less that WIN 7 or 8.