My most frustrating moment

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Wolf52371

My most frustrating moment

Post by Wolf52371 »

Hello all, I love this mod and have been playing it for a long time. One thing I wish it could do was autosave, as my story below explains.

I was really excited to try out all the new maps that were released recently, so I loaded up Paradis (I think that's right) and jumped in as the Germans. I staked out my territory in the middle of the map and on my side, however the AI with me (a normal) was curiously brain dead. Normally the AI is at least intelligent enough to capture undefended points, but I think this map causes issues with it. Anyway, things were going well, I had secured what i wanted and started to fortify fuel points to fend off the inevitable sherman/stuart horde (playing against a hard and expert American side). I was busy doing literally all of the work (the AI couldn't be bothered to capture points bordering their own HQ) and had set up some PAK 38s at strategic points. Then things got bad.

On my right, a sherman rolled up and one shotted my PAK. The infantry were now defenseless and had to pull back. A tank destroyer showed up and blasted my recon tank before i could react. Mortars took out my PAK in the middle, leaving the MG I had in the big center building stranded. Suddenly the AI sprang into action and threw everything forward on their side but it was too little too late. I was forced to fall back. Luckily I had a Tiger I in production, however it was too late to hold that road point which cuts off all of my supply on the right side. Finally I get him out and he has to run over to the left side to contend with nearly 10 tanks.

There is a blur of activity of me tending to my last hope Tiger and getting engineers over to him to fix his tracks and engine as the Allies score some hits. With a paltry fuel income of 4 I somehow managed to produce another Tiger (I had produced a ton of fuel early game) but sadly not a King Tiger. He rushed north to save his brother who was at 10% health and was immobilized. This was after a very long time, perhaps an hour of just hanging on for dear life.

Situation in the north stabilized. New Tiger runs south to root out Allies on my doorstep. New attack in the center, thwarted by New Tiger. Finally, things are looking up!

Crash. CRASH! No autosave! 2 hours of work completely wasted!

At last check the first tiger had upwards of 70 tank kills and 20 vehicles. I didn't even bother counting the infantry. I'm sure i would have won in the end, but my God what a frustrating way for the game to end...

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Re: My most frustrating moment

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

If you crashed it mean your install isn't correct or you didn't followed the coh basic tech advice here viewforum.php?f=23 and more precisely here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1593 if the game crash like that its not coming from our end unfortunately.

Viper

Post by Viper »

Wolf52371 wrote:He rushed north to save his brother who was at 10% health and was immobilized. This was after a very long time, perhaps an hour of just hanging on for dear life.

so romantic :d
i like the way how you spilled the story of your game. didn't know people can have much fun playing against cpu. but my advice to you is to play more pvp. i play not much myself but the few pvp games i had were even more fun and challenging. and scoring any kills in pvp can be a lot more rewarding/satisfying.

Wolf52371

Post by Wolf52371 »

I did a reinstall of the mod, as I apparently have just been patching the main mod for a few years. It probably explains why I was getting missing objects in the maps (the panic boxes). I tried paradis again and the AI on my side was still brain dead for quite a while. It was a normal, basically it might send one infantry unit out to cap points and left the rest milling around the outside of their own base not doing anything. After a while (me capturing basically all of the points on our side of the map) it seemed to wake up. Crashing has been a very rare occurrence but hopefully a reinstall will help.

Also Seha, I normally like playing against the AI because I can pause if I need to, and its fun trying to fend off the horde!

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

Paradis map? is it an official bk mod map? some customs maps are really badly made and creates tons of problems...

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

6p/4p_Le_Paradis map is actually one of the official Bk mod maps included on the 2nd mappack and it was created by
WhiteFlash Reborn.

So far the map has no problems whatsoever in PvP games, but even some original Relic maps can be badly optimized for the A.I in Bk mod, so I suppose this is absolutely normal.

However, if he notices anything seriously wrong with any map.. he could go ahead and report about it on the following topic;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1672
I believe Playmobill would then gladly take a look into it, and I guess I would help too if I ever had the chance.

crimax

Post by crimax »

I can confirm that AI in this map works very well.
It's one of the most difficult maps to play in skirmish mode.
Company Of Heroes is the 'water gun version' of Blitzkrieg Mod" (Heinz Wilhelm Guderian, 1939)

Wolf52371

Post by Wolf52371 »

crimax wrote:I can confirm that AI in this map works very well.
It's one of the most difficult maps to play in skirmish mode.

I played another game after the reinstall and the ai still fell asleep on my side. Try as axis with a normal WH AI against a hard and an expert american AI. I'll try again tonight but the ai was just sitting outside their base with multiple units, I had to capture almost everything.

Wolf52371

Post by Wolf52371 »

So it happened again, how do I find replays? I made sure to save this one. 12 minutes in and they have amassed a good sized amount of infantry with the main goal of sitting just outside their own base when the front line is crumbling.

MenciusMoldbug

Post by MenciusMoldbug »

C:\Users\-YourUserName-\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes Relaunch\playback

Wolf52371

Post by Wolf52371 »

MenciusMoldbug wrote:C:\Users\-YourUserName-\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes Relaunch\playback

Thanks! It didn't have the name I specified so I didn't see it initially.
Attachments
4p_le_paradis.2017-06-20.00-48-04.rec
(458.88 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Wolf52371

Post by Wolf52371 »

Just had another incident of sleeping AI, this time it was the other side, and they never really woke up.
Attachments
4p_bocagetest.2017-06-23.01-35-40.rec
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 62 times

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

Wolf edit you post if you want to add more things, don't double post, thx.