possible solution to lag and deschyronization

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
winterflaw

possible solution to lag and deschyronization

Post by winterflaw »

Hi.

My friend and I have been playing skirmish COH together for about seven years now.

We recently discovered bkmod and fell in love.

A problem we have now though is that our games desychronize after about ten minutes. What I see is completely different to what he sees. (I should mention we both play using wine - I'm on Linux, he's on a Mac).

This used to happen sometimes without bkmod, but now it happens all the time.

We also used (pre bkmod) to have command lag problems at times, too; it would take minutes, sometimes ten or even fifteen minutes, for a command to occur (because that player was that far "behind").

We are now trying to experiment with LAN play, to see if this can fix these problems.

We have installed the original game, pre-steam, and installed bkmod on that install.

We have set up a VPN, so we're on the same local network.

We can now set up a "local multiplayer" game (by starting a skirmish match).

The problem we have now is connecting to the server. We cannot do this through the game UI, because we are not (obviously) showing up in each others "friends" list.

We think though - pretty sure about this - there is a command line option or console command to tell the game to connect to a server.

Problem is, we can't find it or remember it.

Does anyone here know this command?

MarKr
Team Member

Re: possible solution to lag and deschyronization

Post by MarKr »

We used to play LAN in BK mod at dorms and you don't need to connect to any servers to do that...One of you needs to host the game: Go to "Multiplayer" -> Host Game (or maybe Create game) -> A "Host game" window pops up -> Choose some game name and before you click on "Create game" button make sure that you check the "LAN" field (right above the button).

that is all. If you do this your friend needs to go to "Multiplayer lobby" and he will see your game. If he doesn't see you then you have some problem with Firewall blocking the connection or something but for sure we never needed any special console command to play LAN.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

What you do, do run a LAN game, appears to have changed over different versions of COH.

What you have described is correct, but I think it is for older versions of COH. Certainly, it is not applicable to the version we have. For us, there is no explicit mention of "LAN". Rather, we have run a skirmish game, and this is in the UI being called "local multiplayer", which we think (hope :-) is right.

(If we use multiplayer, rather than skirmish, nothing can be done - the button to host is greyed out, presumably because there is no connection to the Relic servers.)

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Which version of CoH do you have? Because you say that you have "installed the original game, pre-steam"...I understood the "pre-steam" as "non-steam" version. That is what we used to do at dorms - we had non-steam version of CoH which was updated to the last patch Relic ever released for non-steam version (2.602 I think) and it worked...if it doesn't work for you then what version do you have?

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

We have 2.700.0 - this may indeed be the problem.

(I do mean by pre-steam, non-steam - at least, that was what we were trying to do).

The current steam version is 2.702.42 (just for reference).

Hmm, I see from some Googling 2.700.0 is the start of Steam.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

In that case I cannot help you because I don't have experience with this version :/. Maybe someone else will know how to help you.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

On the contrary :-)

You have already helped. We are now looking at getting to 2.602, and then installing BK, and then trying LAN. Once we have it going, we'll report back if it fixes lag/desync.