Brit AT insight

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Redgaarden

Brit AT insight

Post by Redgaarden »

Hello gentlemen. I'm here to talk about my problems with the boys at rifles. I suffer the most from PE scout cars of all variants and occasionally from wh puma 20mm. So let's go starigh to the issues I have.

First about boys. I find them very good at dealing with jeeps and they help of big time with their enfield rifles since they are pesudo elite guns and dont suffer the 50% accuaracy debuff other support crew suffer. But I do find them quite lacking in their anti tank damage and their rate of fire making it quite hard for them to effectively support my other units in time. What I'm saying is that when my vehicle is getting attacked by my enemy anti tank halftrack boys dont really stop them like other anti tank units. (1hit killing or disabiling)

So my question to you is this. How do you guys deal with enemy vehicles quickly so they dont do any dmg. In this hypothetical situation where you just got to your 2nd truck and halfway in getting a captain and you have some bren carriers/recce you want to protect.
If you would be so kind to share your method of dealing with enemy halftracks I would most appriciate it. All responses are welcome even doctrine specific ones.

This post is secondary about british anti tank. And I thought about posting it in balancing & suggestions. But would first want to know if it even is a problem or I have missed something obvious.
Rifles are not for fighting. They are for building!

kwok
Team Member

Re: Brit AT insight

Post by kwok »

This post nearly made me cry because of how much I understand.

I posted this before, it kinda helped:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1205
The only problem as brits was it needed to get to the early-mid game before I had any good tools to deal with halftracks. Even then, they were risky ones.

One thing I know Mencius does is he always doubles his AT boys with a recce. The ATboys do damage, but don't always kill becuase of crit chances. The recce actually does some continuing damage on small cars and halftracks which can do the actual killing after AT boys damage. Of course this is a 50fu buy in, so it's a bit of a rush. But if you play on bigger maps, you can play avoidance until mid-game and preserve until those stronger units come out.

Other than that, I'm not really sure. Mencius just plays like a constant devilish attacker, I have yet to beat him in a 1v1 (on large maps high res by the way...) but I think I'm getting there. I changed my openings last time and did better.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

Love the idea of recce + boys. But I heard they were fixing/fixed the crit table of boys at rifles. And who the hell is Mencius?

And yes map has alot to do with the effectivness of boys. Can you think of some solution to this? like getting some other kind of at? But then the question is what at do you want? Daimler, Stuart, Piat squad or 6pd?

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I think the best way to use AT Boys is when they are inside trenches... They become more like an AT gun emplacement at this point, as they could also shoot on all directions.. and has good accuracy as well as decent rate of fire after activating the static position!
Or when embarked inside the Kangaroo.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Redgaarden wrote:Love the idea of recce + boys. But I heard they were fixing/fixed the crit table of boys at rifles. And who the hell is Mencius?

And yes map has alot to do with the effectivness of boys. Can you think of some solution to this? like getting some other kind of at? But then the question is what at do you want? Daimler, Stuart, Piat squad or 6pd?

Daimler with Little Jon is my go to. I don't really like the Piat on the big maps i play unless I go urban. I pull a 6 pdr on high resource games because I drop an early glider to double my production rate, so it's available.
If my opponent is more of a direct attack kind of player, I like early bofors because it hard stops things like pumas and forces the player to get something like a mortar which takes away from their front line units.

If I choose a doctrine, the staghound and stuart are amazing units. omg, keep it quiet though because they're really really cost effective and people will start asking for nerfs.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Check out MenciusMoldbug games as brit on Replays forum section, he's actually veeery good as brit and he has no problem dealing with scout cars of any kind. I lately started to use boys more aggressively and this payed off, and getting glider with pdr helps a lot as well, at least because your enemy rarely expects a brit to deploy a 6pdr gun, so when you retreat your boys he pushes with halftracks and 6 pdr can reliably ohk them. I really like new piats damage as well, since they take so much of ht's hps and have decent crit chances.

Even i get frustrated sometimes when my boys miss all shots, but i don't really think brits lack early/mid game AT capabilities right now.

Wake

Post by Wake »

How much of the current British strategy and play style would change if they could build 6-pounder AT guns from the 2nd truck? The 6-pounder is almost the same as the American 57mm AT gun. Right now there's the difficult scenario for British in the phase between Boys and the 17 Pounder. Everyone else is using medium AT guns and rocket launchers, but the British have much less effective Boys rifles and PIATs. The current alternatives are quickly going for the RAF Tetrarch with a Little John Adapter, or one of the various light vehicles with a 37mm gun, like the Stuart or Staghound. But I don't think any of those are really as effective as a camouflaged PaK 38 or an AT squad with 2 bazookas.

The Boys squad got buffed quite a few times (improved accuracy and reduced cost from previous game versions) too. So would the British be OP if they got the 6 pounder equivalent available like everyone else?

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

The current alternatives are quickly going for the RAF Tetrarch with a Little John Adapter, or one of the various light vehicles with a 37mm gun, like the Stuart or Staghound.

Staghound is amazing and also has 50.cal gunner and especially with overrepair as it will most likely survive a 50mm hit. I haven't tried the stuart though, does it have perma HE like american one? is it cheap? or does it have some other cool abilities?

The Boys squad got buffed quite a few times (improved accuracy and reduced cost from previous game versions) too. So would the British be OP if they got the 6 pounder equivalent available like everyone else?

Brits has alot of different kinds of AT but they all functions differently than what I'm used to. So I was asking which ones you guys prefered, as kwok said he doesn't prefer piats on large maps. The brit at aresenal is so full of variaty that it gets quite confusing which one is the best option to get. And I wanted to know which option is best agasint the various kinds of halftracsk and pumas.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

There is no doubt that 2 boys AT rifles squads will rekt any light amored cars and halftracks at great distance, they will need proper support against infantry though.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I pref the daimler tbh. Their mobility is.... insane... like their acceleration and top speed lets me sneak in and out really fast. Plus i think (i didn't check) they have a really small target size making it really hard to hit, like motorcycle level hard to hit. Staghound is more powerful and mobile, can get hit easy but they're great for breaking through a bad formation because of how fast and powerful they are.

The stuart does have perma HE like the sherman (but i haven't used it in a while because RE has been deemed OP so I just dont play RE. I think it' slike the sherman but with a smaller aoe radius).

AT boys can out range locked down scout cars while maintaining the mobility of regular infantry which makes them a bit preferable to bazookas when facing PE who focus more of cars than tanks in the early/mid game.

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

There is no doubt that 2 boys AT rifles squads will rekt any light amored cars and halftracks at great distance, they will need proper support against infantry though.

I find them quite squishy when they are out in the open and I would give them a 50/50 on winning the fight agasitn anti infantry scout cars. I'm really like them but they are not my go to counter since their reload is quite high that if they miss it can be quite punishing (most likely caused by me not using stationary fire) but you can get 2 of them and you have to be really unlucky noot killing the target in 2-4 shots.

The stuart does have perma HE like the sherman (but i haven't used it in a while because RE has been deemed OP so I just dont play RE. I think it' slike the sherman but with a smaller aoe radius).

I mean American stuart. Not shermans, my question was if they were any different than american stuart in any way. And good job not going RE I guess.

AT boys can out range locked down scout cars while maintaining the mobility of regular infantry which makes them a bit preferable to bazookas when facing PE who focus more of cars than tanks in the early/mid game.

Jep, I definitely hate locked dwon scout cars. But yeah the range is insanely nice having with these boys. A bit more micro intentsive since you dont just right click the enemy, but it's bearable

I pref the daimler tbh. Their mobility is.... insane... like their acceleration and top speed lets me sneak in and out really fast. Plus i think (i didn't check) they have a really small target size making it really hard to hit, like motorcycle level hard to hit. Staghound is more powerful and mobile, can get hit easy but they're great for breaking through a bad formation because of how fast and powerful they are.

I love the daimler and tetrach with adapter. I once drew right past all defence and shot 105mm arty guns and destroeyd them + a grille. those guns do alot of dmg when you upgrade them. like 75x5 which is quite weird since all the other cannons always have a random number of dmg they do like pak40's 80-120 x5

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I lied about the Stuart, I'm actually not sure. I was thinking of the American one. Not sure about the cw version. Forget what I said earlier, I lied.

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

lol. The american one is really good so I guess the cw one is too...

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Cw one can switch between HE and AP shots the sherman way, not sure if it has canister shot, armor is pretty similar to recce one.. that's actually great for hunting halftracks, but the best way i found to do jt is rush for cromwell, which with HE can harm both infantry and halftracks..