Removing traps

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
sgtToni95

Removing traps

Post by sgtToni95 »

Hi all :)
Is there any way, different from activating them by capturing/getting inside, to remove traps from strategic points or buildings?

JimQwilleran

Re: Removing traps

Post by JimQwilleran »

Nope :D. They only way is to trigger them and run away, or use something that won't bother with it like a scout car.

Paine

Post by Paine »

It is silly if there is no counter to point traps. It is a forced retreat ability that always hits and also takes away 44-70MP no matter what the other player does. I remember how aggravated I was when I first sent a mine clearing pios squad to a ranger placed booby trap, and they could do nothing.

The traps are cheap (or free) and are almost guaranteed to kill if you do not notice them. Mines are a huge part of advanced play (they are why I was good in vCoH tournaments), but so is using mine sweepers. There must be counters!

Even if you know they are there, and retreat the millisecond they are activated, they kill a few from the squad with the first explosion. inb4 "that's war"... if it was realistic you could clear the trap.

In vCoH it was possible to evade the traps when PE placed them, you just had to have good micro. Try to click through a booby trap in this game and there is always that one or two units in the squad who feel they need to take a second to tie their shoes :lol:

Maybe it is possible to throw a grenade at the point and activate them?

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

I guess it's limited by the engine. But I am no expert. Also remember that it's a doble-edged weapon.

Wake

Post by Wake »

One way to get rid of booby traps on resource points is to use high-health units to capture them, like officers, snipers, or scouts. If you retreat fast enough, since it is only 1 guy, he can usually escape without damage, and if he does take damage, he has a lot of health and can survive.

Another option is to use vehicles to capture the points. If you are US Armor, you can use jeeps. British can use the Dingo. PE have their Schwimm and Kettenkrad. Wehrmacht Blitzkrieg tanks can also capture. But that's very specific. High-health infantry units are easier to do.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Not a game engine limitation.
In general, a rough guess whether something is engine limitation or not is "does what I want to happen depend on adding a new type of factor or feature?" If it does, then it's probably a game engine limitation. For example, I think it could be set up so that engineers with minesweepers won't set off the ability.

Good idea Wake. Armor doc is a strong counter to SE overall, too, so "forcing to go armor doc" against SE isn't even that big of a problem.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

kwok wrote:For example, I think it could be set up so that engineers with minesweepers won't set off the ability.
Oh, yea. That could be a solution. What I meant as probably limited was the possibility of removing booby trap from a point in some other way than triggering it.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Hmmm.... Possible as well... like for example as soon as you de cap it, it can removed. Won't be like mines though? Unless maybe you put an entity down for the event and make it conditional on that entity. Something like that.

Just throwing ideas.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.