FINALLY i managed to GET RID OF LAG!

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Jagdpanther

FINALLY i managed to GET RID OF LAG!

Post by Jagdpanther »

For years i struggled with BK lag, after i finally bought a new computer i still had lag, choppy gameplay. My motivation to fix the lag was that this game+mod is my favorite video game out there, nothing comes close to it, losing is like a hit in the balls and winning is better than sex. Some people can play with lag, i can't, my life philosophy is the Mercedes slogan "The best or nothing".

My rig is:
i5 4690k
gtx 970
16gb ram
120ssd

On such a beastly computer it should not lag i know but it does, a lot of people with beastly configs complained of lag as well.

Tweaks that will help every player regardless of their computer:

1. Clean windows install, preferably on SSD if you have one, BK installed on a SSD also, it does wonders with the loading times. Over time, a lot of junk gets stored on your pc and this will slow down your pc and your games also so a windows reinstall is the first step into fixing lag.

2. Dont play vs AI, play only multiplayer. CoH+BK is a CPU intensive game and the AI will put a ton of load on your CPU.

3. Use RAZER CORTEX, this piece of software does wonders. https://www.razerzone.com/cortex (I'm not promoting them, it just works for me)

4. Don't use Ultra shader, Use High shader. There is almost no visual difference but it lags the game a lot.

Tweaks for people with NVIDIA cards:

1. Set "Maximum pre rendered frames" in nvidia cpanel to 1.

Tweaks for people with overclockable CPU's:

1. OC as much as you can, this gave me the biggest boost in smoothness. This shows that CoH is CPU intensive, and BK adds even more work.

Use all of this combined and your game will fly. With all the tweaks 3v3's are smooth as butter from start to end, 4v4's are still laggy but it's night and day vs virgin game with no tweaks. Also Comp stomp's are still laggy, even 2v2's have hiccups.

Also something extra for nvidia card possessors, enable FXAA in nvidia cpanel, it makes the game look 10 times better in my opinion, it's better than 16x antialiasing which does not even exist in coh, just try it and see for yourself if you like it or not, i love it and can't play without it. It also does not affect performance.

Here is the difference between FXAA on and off.

-DX9,4xAA,FXAA off
https://s15.postimg.org/dckaisrvv/dx9-4xaa-nofxaa.png

-DX9,4xAA,FXAA on
https://s13.postimg.org/5htiewklj/dx9-4xaa-fxaa.png
Last edited by Jagdpanther on 02 Dec 2017, 02:18, edited 8 times in total.

Krieger Blitzer

Re: FINALLY i managed to GET RID OF LAG!

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

The model detail bar has to be set to a maximum value btw, it's the responsible option for the unit models not to disappear from a further camera view.. the camera in Bk is already far by default as u all know! That's why it's always highly recommended for the sake of visual appearances to keep it max whenever possible...

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Tiger1996 wrote:The model detail bar has to be set to a maximum value btw, it's the responsible option for the unit models not to disappear from a further camera view.. the camera in Bk is already far by default as u all know! That's why it's always highly recommended for the sake of visual appearances to keep it max whenever possible...

OMG THANX they finally have legs!! :lol:

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Welcome! :-D

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

You are playing on 4:3 monitor?

Dont overclock ram, thats pretty much useless and will only add instability if done wrong.

AA affects performance, but as you have 970, then obviously its not a problem, but people with weak GPUs will suffer a lot.

I also dont believe that "Maximum pre rendered frames" helped me any time, but I didn't test it in coh, so maybe try ONLY this.

Do not use CCleaner, only if you know what you are doing, but dont use its registry tool at all if youre Win7 or higher.

I pretty much agree with - have good CPU, have high CPU clock, have a good GPU, have 8+GB RAM, use SSD if you can.
Performance varies also with map, AI, opponent numbers.
Also if you check before running coh, that your CPU is pretty much idling on low freq with 0-10% used, that is fine and you dont need to shut down anything or do whatever shamanic rituals with so called optimizers etc. Also don't use shitty antiviruses.

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Wolf wrote:You are playing on 4:3 monitor?

Dont overclock ram, thats pretty much useless and will only add instability if done wrong.

AA affects performance, but as you have 970, then obviously its not a problem, but people with weak GPUs will suffer a lot.

I also dont believe that "Maximum pre rendered frames" helped me any time, but I didn't test it in coh, so maybe try ONLY this.

Do not use CCleaner, only if you know what you are doing, but dont use its registry tool at all if youre Win7 or higher.

I pretty much agree with - have good CPU, have high CPU clock, have a good GPU, have 8+GB RAM, use SSD if you can.
Performance varies also with map, AI, opponent numbers.
Also if you check before running coh, that your CPU is pretty much idling on low freq with 0-10% used, that is fine and you dont need to shut down anything or do whatever shamanic rituals with so called optimizers etc. Also don't use shitty antiviruses.

Yea i like the square 4:3 monitor better at least for work but a wide monitor would probably help out in games since i can see more stuff. The old monitor could cause my lag, i thought about it and i tried my brother's wide monitor and the lag is still there

Yes about RAM you are right, you have to have good motherboard and good ram to be able to have a stable OC. I mentioned maybe someone with good mobo and ram can oc it more and tell us if he saw any difference, i didnt. Maybe i made a mistake suggestion RAM OC, people might get it wrong thinking that ALL the tweaks are needed in order to get 60fps gameplay, no, every suggestion is optional.

I just showed what setting I USE, i didn't recommended my settings to everyone because only these settings will give you a lag free experience. Of course people with weak GPUs will have to tweak their own settings until they find the sweet spot, the best quality/performance ratio.

I tried to record with fraps the difference for me with Maximum pre rendered frames off vs set to 1 but fraps seems to not catch the stutter, maybe i will try with other rec software. For me it makes a HUGE difference, it's very choppy even from the start of the game with no units on the field.

I don't know what you see wrong with ccleaner, it's one of the most popular cleaning tools out there, i don't stress on ccleaner as being a must, i just gave an example of a cleaning tool, you can use whatever tool you want, the point was to have a CLEAN computer as after fresh windows install, and for people who don't know how to reinstall windows or don't want to, these cleaning software might help.

"I pretty much agree with - have good CPU, have high CPU clock, have a good GPU, have 8+GB RAM, use SSD if you can." You say it like my entire post was: "only if you have good CPU, have high CPU clock, have a good GPU, have 8+GB RAM, and SSD you will be able to play the mod lag free." As i told in the thread, even with my powerful new shiny pc i still had lag, the biggest lag killers were the ""Maximum pre rendered frames" option set to 1, Razer cortex and CPU overclock. As i said some of these tweaks wont work for everybody but for those who have the right conditions (overclockable CPU and Nvidia GPU or at least one condition or even none, for people with a not overclockable CPU and an AMD card, they can use Razer Cortex and it's STILL SOMETHING), they MIGHT get a benefit. Everybody's config is different, i just posted what helped ME, if people want to try these tweaks or not it's up to them.

"Performance varies also with map, AI, opponent numbers." Yes i agree with your point, what my post is about is that i managed to DECREASE the lag for all the situations, map, AI and opponent numbers. As i said vs AI i still have lag, 4v4s still struggle, huge maps no one plays in serious pvp's because we all know they lag.

"Also if you check before running coh, that your CPU is pretty much idling on low freq with 0-10% used, that is fine and you dont need to shut down anything or do whatever shamanic rituals with so called optimizers etc." I get your point, my CPU is powerful enough to play bk without any "shamanic rituals" but that's not my case, as i said these "shamanic rituals" made my game from unplayable to buttery smooth. I will try to make tomorrow a video with no tweaks vs one with all the tweaks.

About antiviruses, i said i don't even use one, i just said it for people who use to temporary close them while playing or use functions like avast has, game mode i think it was called.

"so maybe try ONLY this." You say this like my other suggestions are harmful, i don't get it, im trying to help people here, im not selling stuff, im not advertising Razer Cortex, if i would advertise it i would post a link towards it (if they had an advertising link), i just said google it and try it for yourself.

I understand your skepticism, it could be because of my personality which makes me look like a sales man, (like Saul Goodman :D, that's why my username is Saul, i love that show, it's my favorite), i joke a lot in the thread, i praise BK like no one which is true, whether you believe it or not BK it's the only game i like the most. Other games that i like are Medal of Honor Airborne, Kane and Lynch 2 and GTA IV. Why? Because they are realistic games, i love realistic games, i hate games like lol or cs go, most popular games in the world today. Medal of Honor Airborne and GTA IV uses a physics engine, same with CoH. I hate CoH 2, why? because it's a cartoonish unrealistic piece of crap. They can't even make rain right, you can't tell if it's raining or snowing, plus there is no mud effect like in CoH 1.
Last edited by Jagdpanther on 18 Apr 2016, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

I am definitely not trying to make you look like a salesman, but as I kind of work in "computer related business", I have rough idea about how things really work and what people can do if they don't know exactly what they are doing (thats the pagefile + CCleaner + antivirus case). So I only wanted to pinpoint things that REALLY help and should help about everyone. And I can also say that many many problems with performance or overall system stability are caused by people themselves.

Monitor shouldn't cause lags at all, its about resolution, if you will use 1280x1024 then you will obviously have more FPS than most used widescreen resolution - 1920x1080, that is a known fact. Again, I don't have anything against 4:3 or whatever, I was just kinda surprised.

About RAM OC, I saw many tests and even tried it, if you have computer that has atleast DDR2 (and I don't believe anyone playing BK has anything below that), then the difference will be really really really small, you would have to have lowest freq ram and overclock it to the absolute maximum to even notice. On the other hand ram size is obviously helping more, especially on low numbers. Not only because game can use more, but background apps and system can use it and leave game what it already has. So people with 2GB ram will probably see performance boost with 4GB, or 8GB, unless you have heavy RAM background stuff open, you probably won't benefit from 8+GB much.

"so maybe try ONLY this." - I mean it like, try this tweak only (and try it always on the first run after restart) and try it multiple times on the same conditions and see if it makes any difference. If this works and makes like 80% of the boost you get, then this might be the only tweak needed / recommended.

I know what people can do with CCleaner, how they are surprised how they deleted their logins, last visited addresses, fucked up file associations etc. So yep, CCleaner is good if you want to automate concrete tasks = if you know what you are doing. But mostly, do you believe, that clearing your browser cache will increase your speed in absolutely different program? Nope, unless you are running out of space on your hdd, then nope. Same with most of the CCleaner settings, especially "registry cleaner", and its not only me saying the same, random google search - http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-245 ... -good.html, especially the "You should avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities..." part. If you know what you are doing, you can do it manually or via well known and trusted cleaner (yep, ccleaner kind of is), but if you don't know what it actually does, then 95% of the stuff ccleaner does won't help you in any performance and can "hurt" inexperienced user (again, lost passwords, settings etc.).

I don't know what exactly Razer Cortex does, but most of these programs just stop some services here and there (and THAT is exactly why people always came for help, as their windows stopped updating, had update errors etc), tune up some settings. Yes, it can be good and it can help you find easily what is wrong, but you should always know what exactly it does, as there is simply NO such button as "boost my FPS just like that", it does something in the background, changes some settings / turn something off and these USUALLY, fuck something up long term. And if you actually know what it does, you usually can do it without any tool that often takes memory, loads up on start etc too. So I don't want to say that it did not help you or cant help others, just that I highly prefer stuff that surely helps just by the principle and then do tweaks of which you know advantages and disadvantages. Kind of similar to what Tiger told you, I can definitely imagine that software like .. GeForce experience f.e. (that is supposed to set most optimal graphic settings for certain games) would set Model Detail lower than highest on non top gpu. And that is a nice example, you will get FPS boost, but as a disadvantage you will not see legs :)

About antiviruses - these are very often cause of some system / performance problems. People sometimes installed even two AVs, something you just should not do. It wasn't targetted at you.

So again, its nothing against you personally, but as I kind of work in the field and you wouldn't believe how big percentage of "my computer is too slow", "my friend recommended me to download this and that" were just because people believed in miracles / ads (click here and your windows will be 43% faster) or used tools for experienced users.
And with no offense, but from stuff I had to deal with even only at BK, where somebody can't put BK in the right folder, or don't know how to find where the folder with CoH is... I don't think that such people should play with pagefile or potentionally risky applications, same with OC, atleast nowdays if something fails, the bios settings usually reset to safe values or CPU just throttles and does not burn like in AMD Athlon/Duron era, but with software that can change system registry or delete data... that is harder to fix.

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

As i said, my video card is used 20-30% max in coh, 1920x1080 res will probably increase that by 10%. CoH is not graphical intensive game, it's CPU intensive game. The point is, no i don't have more fps because i use a smaller res.

I recommended ram upgrade because as i said, when i had 8gb, the game was using 4gb, now with 16 it uses 5gb so it was a little bit of bottleneck. RAM OC it was more of an experiment, as i said, it was only meant for people who know what they are doing and i would liked to know if they got any benefit from it.

Yes i disabled and enabled the "Maximum pre rendered frames" option for like 100 times and every time was the same, i get better performance with it on 1. "(and try it always on the first run after restart)" it's always on 1 after you set it, i don't get what you mean with first run after restart.

About ccleaner to be honest, i didn't knew it can harm, like that guy on tomsguide.com says. I always thought it cleans useless registry files. And about ccleaner, i was recommended to use it in my quest for lag free experience but i always knew it wont make any difference ingame cleaning some small 2kb files, the only benefit you get is some free space on your hdd/ssd if you never cleaned your pc before but that's pretty much it. You still stress on ccleaner, forget it, THE POINT IS to have a clean PC, forget about ccleaner, it was my mistake i mentioned it, didnt knew it can harm, i edited the post and tell the people to simply search on youtube "How to speed up your pc"

About razer cortex, yea it kills some processes when you start the game BUT after you exit the game it restores them back, and you can also see what processes it closes, you can even customize what processes to close, it changes nothing permanently.

I know antiviruses slow up pc's thats why i dont even use one as i said.

I know about the "click here and your windows will be 43% faster" junk software you are talking about, i also work in "computer related business", and after you installed that crap, for only 29.99$ you can have the rest of the 57% :D. The internet just like the world is full of scammers BUT Razer Cortex simply works, i don't know how else to say it, it's made my Razer for Christ Sake, a well known company that makes gaming hardware.

Yea i know there aren't many geeks among the players, most of the people just want to play not to tweak sh*t, i understand, All the OC suggestions were for the people who KNOW WHAT ARE DOING. As i said BK is CPU intensive game, CPU OC will have a 100% chance to improve your performance. If there was a CPU that could OC to 6ghz, it would chew the 4v4s with ease.

The summary of my post is: these things helped ME, CPU OC helped the most since CoH is CPU intensive game and BK adds even more work to the CPU, Razer Cortex, a simple and free piece of software made by a reputable company which TEMPORARILY close some processes and that simply DOES WORK, it actually makes a difference when using it, and Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1, i have no i idea the science behind this, i actually found this by mistake but as well, IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR ME. Plus some extra tweaks like changing the visual effects to best performance for people with weaker pc's. If you want to try them or not it's up to you.

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

The all I am asking for with "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1" is to check if that ALONE is or is not enough to help. Without installing or changing anything else from any company or by any youtube videos or google searches. I am not saying that razer is untrusted, but that if it does not have significant impact, it might not be worth the hassle. So if setting "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1" does 90% of the boost, I would be happier to see that and only that rather than having users changing half of their windows settings and installing software to get additional 10%.

By "try after restart" I mean -
Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1" then RESTART PC, then RUN COH and TEST
Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 0" then RESTART PC, then RUN COH and TEST

and not
Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 0" then RUN COH and TEST
Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1" then RUN COH and TEST

because it acts differently if its run just after running it the first time within one session.

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

I never said that option alone gave me 90% of the boost, the biggest boost i got was from CPU OC. "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1" fixed the kind of lag like micro stutters/freezes for a few milliseconds. Razer cortex made the game from feeling like playing with 50fps to 60fps (im not saying it increased the frames with 10fps, i always have ~60fps but with the software it feels much smoother)

About the restart thing, maybe you didn't had much contact with nvidia cpanel but you dont have to restart your pc every time you change something.

So

Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1" then RESTART PC, then RUN COH and TEST
Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 0" then RESTART PC, then RUN COH and TEST

is the same with:

Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 0" then RUN COH and TEST
Set "Maximum pre rendered frames set to 1" then RUN COH and TEST

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Restart is NOT because of nvidia control panel but because of the difference between when COH is run first time after restart or not. There is slight difference, second run feels smoother (maybe because of asset loading that is already in RAM).
So it is NOT the same.

I never said that it gave you 90%, I said that I am ASKING TO CHECK. CPU OC will obviously give boost, I just want to know if other tweaks are really worth the possible hassle that you might not see now.

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Wolf wrote:Restart is NOT because of nvidia control panel but because of the difference between when COH is run first time after restart or not. There is slight difference, second run feels smoother (maybe because of asset loading that is already in RAM).
So it is NOT the same.

I never said that it gave you 90%, I said that I am ASKING TO CHECK. CPU OC will obviously give boost, I just want to know if other tweaks are really worth the possible hassle that you might not see now.

I haven't noticed any difference with the restart thing.

So much arguing for what? It's like you are trying to fight me or smth, I TRY TO HELP people here.

Just try the damn tweaks and see for yourself if it helped or not, if it didn't, delete this post. Try just razer cortex and maximum pre rendered frames set to one.

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

I argue only about telling people things, that might hurt them in the long term, without any good warning about what might happen. I don't want to be exactly like the sites that say 38% boost just by click. Thats why I never argued about direct stuff like I wrote before, but will you be the one telling people that that is their mistake that they tried this and that and fucked something up? I guess not, thats why I warned about ccleaner, about which you didn't know also, so you can see it wasn't pointless debate. And because I regularly deal with people that fuck something up by themselves, I'd rather avoid it coming from "trusted source" that BK forum should be.
Again, I have nothing about "Maximum pre rendered frames" if it definitely helped and if it does nothing wrong (thats why we should know what it actually does), nothing against having ssd or more ram, I just want you not to be another "friend said set this, download that" like I told you before. I believe that the nvidia settings might work, I slightly less believe that on noncluttered computer razer gives more than few percents. If you will see some bigger boost or "smoothiness" kind of indicates to me that something might be wrong on that system rather than software having some magical benefit. If there ofcourse isn't any game developer mistake about not turning something on/off. But that would be like 5% chance...

So again, I have nothing against you trying to help others, but it should have a) some evidence, b) should describe what exactly it does, nothing against telling people that the game is CPU intensive, or that they should keep their os clutter free.

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

I use ccleaner for years and never had a problem, if that guys says it harms of course i will not recommended it anymore.

I tried to make a video without the tweaks but for some reason all 3 rec software i tried don't seem to get it right, they either make it more laggy, or they don't show the microstutter type lag. I only have a video with the tweaks, youtube decreased the quality probably because of bad compression but you can see the smoothness, i get this in ~90% of the gameplay on 3v3's. It's a replay i know but it stresses the pc the same if i was recording a live game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vd6_Kd41M

Explain people what "Maximum pre rendered frames" set to 1 does? I have no fucking idea, all i know is that it makes my game run better. That's enough for me to know

Razer Cortex stops some processes while ingame and restores them while you exit.

You still stress about the junk software that promises amazing results with just one click, i know these type of software, all i can say is that Razer Cortex is not like these software, IT SIMPLY DOES WHAT IS SAYS.

I'm really tired of this discussion, if you want to edit my post with "DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK BECAUSE YOU MIGHT PLAY WITH FIRE" go ahead, i know what i suggested is harmless and it helps.

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

I share similar view on the boosters as this site:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/05/23/do-gam ... rformance/

Its up to everybody ... feel free to try, but don't expect miracles.

adam-ze-shooter

Post by adam-ze-shooter »

Hi guys I recently downloaded this blitzkrieg mod just the other day and I absolutely love it! The vanilla coh was awesome but this is some next level !
My question is why turn shader off ultra? I played about with it last night and it seemed to make abit of difference in game and I haven't really had much lag at all.
Is there a ideal setting for this mod ? Or something you should definetly turn off to make it run smoother or look better ? I put on the fxaa in Nvidia control panel and evrything in game is at ultra.
It does have the odd hiccup but apart from that all good. Any ideas for better graphical improvements if any. I'm a noob to this mod and pc gaming. I'm also running it through relicecxe for maps under mp folder

My rig

I5 6600
16GB ddr4 ram
240gb ssd
Gtx 970

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

adam-ze-shooter wrote:Hi guys I recently downloaded this blitzkrieg mod just the other day and I absolutely love it! The vanilla coh was awesome but this is some next level !
My question is why turn shader off ultra? I played about with it last night and it seemed to make abit of difference in game and I haven't really had much lag at all.
Is there a ideal setting for this mod ? Or something you should definetly turn off to make it run smoother or look better ? I put on the fxaa in Nvidia control panel and evrything in game is at ultra.
It does have the odd hiccup but apart from that all good. Any ideas for better graphical improvements if any. I'm a noob to this mod and pc gaming. I'm also running it through relicecxe for maps under mp folder

My rig

I5 6600
16GB ddr4 ram
240gb ssd
Gtx 970

Use the tweaks i recommended, Razer Cortex and set in Nvidia Cpanel "Maximum pre rendered frames" to 1 and if you know how do some CPU overclock. Then come back and tell us if it did helped or not. And don't use Ultra Shader, you will se no graphical difference but it will lag your game, trust me.

adam-ze-shooter

Hi I have done the mods you recommended (apart from OC) changing the shader quality from ultra to high made a big difference especially on 4v4 matches.
I have read that the COH blitzkrieg mod doesn't even support ultra shader so there is no impact in game at all. Do you know if this is true?
Cheers for the advice

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Yep, don't use Ultra shaders.

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

adam-ze-shooter wrote:I put on the fxaa in Nvidia control panel.

Does it work fine, it does not flicker? Mine flickers https://archive.org/details/CompanyOfHe ... 0.34.05.03

adam-ze-shooter wrote:Hi I have done the mods you recommended (apart from OC) changing the shader quality from ultra to high made a big difference especially on 4v4 matches.
I have read that the COH blitzkrieg mod doesn't even support ultra shader so there is no impact in game at all. Do you know if this is true?
Cheers for the advice

Did Razer Cortex and "Maximum pre rendered frames" set to 1 did any improvement?

BK mod supports ultra shader since it's a mod of coh and since coh has the ultra shader option it means it works on bk too but YOU DON'T NEED IT, it only improves the lightning a little bit but it's unnoticeable and you get lag.

sandman332

Post by sandman332 »

Setting "maximum pre-rendered frames" lower then the windows default of "3" especially to 1 actually DECREASES performance. Like the nvidia control panel description says, only set it lower if you have mouse lag. Set it higher for smoother gameplay at lower framerates and sometmes it can improve fps a bit. By the way there is no "0" option. Only 1-4 in the control panel and 1-8 in nvidia inspector. Don't beileve me? I have done personal tests, and just check out this video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWH4r-KQEF8

Only set it to 1 if you have mouse lag with the game. Nothing can make this game run super great. You would need a magic overclocked future CPU to run all the time with 60fps or more. I have a 6700k overclocked to 4.9 and still am getting low fps even with a 980ti. You are right about gpu usage though. My card never seems to go above 20% on the usage. This game seems to be more to 1 cpu core then all 4. As it usually gives me maximum 90% on 1 core, and the others are all low usage. Hyperthreadng did not seem to make a difference.

I'm still trying to find ways to make it not lag as much when playing against bots as I enjoy it more then real players. I know that the cpu has more resources and popcap, which means more units on the screen. Even with 150 popcap it still seems bad. Maybe a way to lower popcap or resources for cpu players as well? Or is it better to play with a certain difficulty of cpu? Any tips let me know!

Thanks.

adam-ze-shooter

I set the frames in nvidia panel to 1 and it didn't seem to make a difference and i haven't used the razor cortez yet. Just had a game and it was real jumpy and fps dropped to 10 at times and that was a 2v2 but on a bot and me player on a 4p map. Ultra shader off has definitely made it abit better but still stutters a lot and fps drop. Considering this game is so old i think i can survive lol

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

sandman332 wrote:This game seems to be more to 1 cpu core then all 4. As it usually gives me maximum 90% on 1 core, and the others are all low usage. Hyperthreadng did not seem to make a difference.
It doesn't seem to be more to 1 core. It will always only use one core, ever. That's why overclocking cpu and over 4 GB ram makes the biggest difference. I will never take advantage of multiple cores, no matter how many you'll have.

adam-ze-shooter wrote:i haven't used the razor cortez yet.
Won't be any of use for you. With 16 GB of ram and several cores, another services/processes running alongside with CoH won't make any difference.

sandman332 wrote:I'm still trying to find ways to make it not lag as much when playing against bots as I enjoy it more then real players. I know that the cpu has more resources and popcap, which means more units on the screen. Even with 150 popcap it still seems bad. Maybe a way to lower popcap or resources for cpu players as well? Or is it better to play with a certain difficulty of cpu? Any tips let me know!
Thanks.
As far as I know, only difference in AI difficulties is resource income. So the lower the difficulty the less income, thus less spam. Not sure if AI ignores popcap or not.
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

sandman332 wrote:Setting "maximum pre-rendered frames" lower then the windows default of "3" especially to 1 actually DECREASES performance. Like the nvidia control panel description says, only set it lower if you have mouse lag. Set it higher for smoother gameplay at lower framerates and sometmes it can improve fps a bit. By the way there is no "0" option. Only 1-4 in the control panel and 1-8 in nvidia inspector. Don't beileve me? I have done personal tests, and just check out this video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWH4r-KQEF8

Only set it to 1 if you have mouse lag with the game. Nothing can make this game run super great. You would need a magic overclocked future CPU to run all the time with 60fps or more. I have a 6700k overclocked to 4.9 and still am getting low fps even with a 980ti. You are right about gpu usage though. My card never seems to go above 20% on the usage. This game seems to be more to 1 cpu core then all 4. As it usually gives me maximum 90% on 1 core, and the others are all low usage. Hyperthreadng did not seem to make a difference.

I'm still trying to find ways to make it not lag as much when playing against bots as I enjoy it more then real players. I know that the cpu has more resources and popcap, which means more units on the screen. Even with 150 popcap it still seems bad. Maybe a way to lower popcap or resources for cpu players as well? Or is it better to play with a certain difficulty of cpu? Any tips let me know!

Thanks.

For me only set to 1 helps with the micro stutter, setting it to 2-4 actually makes it more stuttery as you said. From the same guy, he recommends it to 1 as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GACL15H36kk

As i said, against bots, i have horrible lag too, even on 2v2's, on 3v3s and 4v4s with expert bots its a disaster. Even after 1 guy drops in a pvp match i start to feel the lag since the AI kicks in.

The ONLY way to get buttery smooth gameplay is:
1. Play pvps. I know many people don't like it because there are many pros and not so many noobz and you get beaten a lot, i was the same first time i played pvps, you don't even know where the bullets come from, your units disappear and you wonder wtf happened to them. There are few but deadly players in pvp's and i think this is the reason why it keeps new players away, it's frustrating to get your ass kicked all the time. I was the same as i said, but after ~100 games played :D now im a medium-pro player, i know the players, i know if the teams are balanced or not etc. But i say it is worth the effort, this game is so intense i sweat when i play it, you won't get that in comp stomps, and when you beat sukin :D there is no better feeling in the world. (i never did but i will eventually)
2. OC your CPU, 6700k overclocked to 4.9 in pvps should chew 4v4's without any issues. My cpu is slower than yours and i managed to get it to 4.7 and as i said i get buttery smooth gameplay on 3v3's, 4v4's struggle a bit, your pc should have no problem
3. Use razer cortex, i know it's hard to believe that this software can make a difference on a fresh windows install but for me it did a huge difference, as i said now it feels like im playing with 60fps not 50 like it is without it.
4. Set "maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1, you probably did the tests in comp stomps, try a pvp.
5. Some recently tweaks i did and seemed to improve the performance even more was to disable superfetch and prefetch if you have the game installed on a ssd, make the temp.rec file read only, the file not the folder how it's suggested in the common problems thread, and disable post processing. Im not sure if all or just one helped, it needs more testing but it did helped.

adam-ze-shooter wrote:I set the frames in nvidia panel to 1 and it didn't seem to make a difference and i haven't used the razor cortez yet. Just had a game and it was real jumpy and fps dropped to 10 at times and that was a 2v2 but on a bot and me player on a 4p map. Ultra shader off has definitely made it abit better but still stutters a lot and fps drop. Considering this game is so old i think i can survive lol

Read what i suggested above, don't play comp stomps because nothing will fix the lag against AI from my years of experience trying to fix this damn lag.

Devilfish wrote:
sandman332 wrote:This game seems to be more to 1 cpu core then all 4. As it usually gives me maximum 90% on 1 core, and the others are all low usage. Hyperthreadng did not seem to make a difference.
It doesn't seem to be more to 1 core. It will always only use one core, ever. That's why overclocking cpu and over 4 GB ram makes the biggest difference. I will never take advantage of multiple cores, no matter how many you'll have.

I think yet not sure, that it actually uses them all but 1 is used more than the others, in my case first core is used ~70% and the rest 20-30%. I tried to force it use only the first core, the one that is used the most with "set affinity" option in task manager and it lagged more so i think all of them are used but one is used more than the rest.

Devilfish wrote:
adam-ze-shooter wrote:i haven't used the razor cortez yet.
Won't be any of use for you. With 16 GB of ram and several cores, another services/processes running alongside with CoH won't make any difference.

As i said, i know it's hard to believe that this software can make a difference on a fresh windows install and on a pc with 16gb ram but for me it did a huge difference, it feels like im playing with 60fps not 50 like it is without it even if fraps shows 60. Jut give it a try.

Devilfish wrote:
sandman332 wrote:I'm still trying to find ways to make it not lag as much when playing against bots as I enjoy it more then real players. I know that the cpu has more resources and popcap, which means more units on the screen. Even with 150 popcap it still seems bad. Maybe a way to lower popcap or resources for cpu players as well? Or is it better to play with a certain difficulty of cpu? Any tips let me know!
Thanks.
As far as I know, only difference in AI difficulties is resource income. So the lower the difficulty the less income, thus less spam. Not sure if AI ignores popcap or not.

It lags when playing against bots not because of income, of course the lag increases with more units on the field (more income) but because YOUR CPU processes all the shit AI does, when playing pvp's, the other players "are the CPUs", and you are the CPU of your own units, the CPU only processes things like physics, it does not "think" to send troops to attack you or retreat them etc like in comp stomps, in pvp's the players do all the thinking. As i said when a player drops in pvp's i start to feel the stutter because AI kicks in.