Sherman armor penetrated by Panzer III N perma HE

Do you have a bug to report? Do this right here.
Diablo

Sherman armor penetrated by Panzer III N perma HE

Post by Diablo »

The perma HE shots of Panzer III N "penetrate" the armor of 75/76mm Shermans and do a lot of damage (~1/2 max hp). Also they seem to have a generally high crit chance, but maybe that's intended.

I didn't see this happen to the Jackson B.

Red

Re: Sherman armor penetrated by Panzer III N perma HE

Post by Red »

While I do not know if intended, according to my knowledge it is historically accurate.
While pushing through the Hungarian plains on the way to Vienna, Russians made good use of US supplied Shermans. The german defenders lacked tanks in numbers, so had to resort to other assets and found the Hanomag with the same gun (Sd.KfZ. 250/9) to be quite effective against the Sherman.

Having said that, it might still be unintended/a bug (as stated, the Sd.KfZ. 250/9 has the same gun; Sd.KfZ. 250/8 and Panzer IV F1 likewise).

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

They shoot HEAT rounds probably.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Ahh that might've been it. Shooting a HEAT round doesn't remove the HE indicator above the tank, right?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

No, the indicator is still on. But if it took out about half the HP, then I'm pretty sure it was the HEAT shot. It shouldn't be able to shoot HEATs consecutively as they have cooldown though.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Right, thanks for the replies. I'll try to watch it closely.

I think the HEAT shot has an announcement in yellow script like other abilities. This isn't observable to the enemy if I'm not mistaken. How do you guys know, if you're hit with something special? Is it just intuition?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

In this case the "normal" shots deal very little damage to Shermans so if something took half its HP and there was nothing else around that could have done it, it had to be the HEAT.

In other situations it's mostly tanks and there the chances are AP or HE and these ammo types have different visual effect so it is easier to tell.

Wake

Post by Wake »

If you play against Wehrmacht CPU AI that chooses Blitzkrieg doc, then the AI will spam production of the Panzer III. Because the AI gets resource bonuses, it almost always has enough munitions to equip all of its Panzer IIIs with the HEAT rounds. The AI also knows that HEAT rounds are deadly against enemy tanks, so it will almost always fire the HEAT round at your tanks if it is within range.