[5.1.4] DeSync vs AI

Do you have a bug to report? Do this right here.
OldManCody

[5.1.4] DeSync vs AI

Post by OldManCody »

Not sure how much more to say, DeSync has been an issue for a while and I was hoping that once Blitz was a steam download with automatic patches, this issue would be fixed. It is really sad to see possibly the greatest mod ever for an amazing RTS be unplayable. Can the community have confirmation that this is being addressed?

MarKr
Team Member

Re: [5.1.4] DeSync vs AI

Post by MarKr »

You are not the first one to report this and unfortunately you will get the same answer as others - this is something we cannot really fix because ofnthe nature of the issue (also if it were easy to fix, Relic would have fixed it in vCoH already). Some people say that the game desyncs "almost every time" while others tell you that they get a desyc in 1 out of 10 games, possibly less. This hints that it is not actually problem of the mod itself but rather some external issue. Most often the desync is blamed on connection issues of one of the players. Game also seems to desync more often wheb there is AI present than in pure PvP games. So the AI is likely a problem here too but it is hard to track down, again, because some people experience it and some not and for us trying to solve an inssue based on a report like "it sometimes happens that..." is pretty much shootin in the dark. Lately there has been a theory that desyncs occur more often when you use call-in abilities (if that is true then it is a problem in the engine which we cannot fix). Also some players speculated that some maps desync more often than others (which is possible because poorly made maps can cause all sorts of problems and performance issues). Weak PC can cause desyncs too but that seems to be less of an issue these days because most people have good enough rig.
So all I can tell you is that we know about it but it is hard to track down and it is also likely coming (surely not all the cases but definately some) from sources outside the mod.

OldManCody

Post by OldManCody »

I appreciate your quick response. I understand the issues, it is still a shame that out of the last three games I played with friends, all have had a DeSync happen at some point and It wasn't noticed right away resulting in wasted time. Thanks again.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

I have been experimenting with installing non-Steam COH, and then putting BZ mod on top.

Non-Steam COH still retains the ability to run LAN games - the idea is to use a VPN to get my and my friends PCs appearing to the network stack on the same subnet, so we can run a "LAN" game, and see if that avoids the desync problem.

Jalis

Post by Jalis »

It will not.
But you can hope to reduce desynch risk.