[5.0.0] Enemy AI not aggressive and tanks stay in base area

Do you have a bug to report? Do this right here.
Michael_Z_Freeman

[5.0.0] Enemy AI not aggressive and tanks stay in base area

Post by Michael_Z_Freeman »

Hi,

I hope the devs can look at this as I have to play offline Skirmish. I can't play online as I need to be able to pause the game occasionally.

This happened on "BK MOD TIP 2: Kurland Pocket (2)". I'll try another game with same army and difficulty settings to see if this effects other maps as well.

This was with Panzer Elite against the American enemy AI on Normal. Enemy AI put up very little resistance (but good for learning this army's doctrine's which I'm not familiar with!). Groups of infantry did eventually start an organised attack on my positions with one light tank turning up. But then that was mostly it apart from occasional infantry attacks. At first I thought this was because I had quickly captured most of the points and the enemy AI simply had too few resources, however not so ! However I was then surprised to discovered what I thought was a lone Sherman tank in the base which my artillery quickly destroyed. What was it doing in there, as it must have been built well before I started attacking the base. So I eventually started a coordinated base destruction attack but was surprised to find multiple tanks still sitting in the base ! :cry:

Why were they all sitting there ? :shock: They must have been there for a while as well. I don't think this is just a case of the AI not being very good at base defence. The entire game was characterised by the enemy AI being uninterested in capturing points. Some attempts did go on but not in the aggressive way I would expect especially in Blitzkrieg. Even on normal setting Blitzkrieg is, or should be, difficult.

MarKr
Team Member

Re: [5.0.0] Enemy AI not aggressive and tanks stay in base area

Post by MarKr »

This sometimes happens, but as far as I know it is a map-related problem. When you're making a map, you can put some sort of "markers" on the map which tells the AI where to go and what to do. If a map-maker doesn't do that, the AI may act this way. I am not sure how exactely it works because I made a map for testing purposes, placed no such markers on it and AI still seems to work normally :/

Bottom line is: this can happen on some maps, if you can only play skirmish and you encounter this problem, mark down the name of the map and avoid it for skirmish. I am sorry but I cannot "help" you anymore than that :/

Michael_Z_Freeman

MarKr wrote:This sometimes happens, but as far as I know it is a map-related problem. When you're making a map, you can put some sort of "markers" on the map which tells the AI where to go and what to do. If a map-maker doesn't do that, the AI may act this way. I am not sure how exactely it works because I made a map for testing purposes, placed no such markers on it and AI still seems to work normally :/

Bottom line is: this can happen on some maps, if you can only play skirmish and you encounter this problem, mark down the name of the map and avoid it for skirmish. I am sorry but I cannot "help" you anymore than that :/

Right, thanks. So there is an AI layout system on the map if that's what the problem is. I just played another one of the 1 on 1 maps. The AI was better this time but still way too easy to beat for Blitzkrieg. I don't know, maybe I just got super good at this game ? I'll try again on hard difficulty and see if that makes any difference. I also need to play as Allies and see if same thing happens as I seem to remember getting plastered by endless Axis tanks before, even on lower difficulty settings (hopefully not a case of the dreaded "Axis bias", as it used to be called in Forgotten Hope).

Michael_Z_Freeman

I know his is an old thread but it applies to the current beta and I think dev's deserve to know when all their hard work is paying off !

So I've been playing 5.1.8f beta and it's there's a MUCH more difficult end game with both opposing armies as AI. I've had multiple times now when huge flanking operations happen just when I think I'm moving into some inevitable enemy base destruction phase. Of course this all maybe to do with altered balances of one kind of another, but whatever it is the game is now much more challenging against the AI in the end game. The don't get cornered in their base and are much more aggressive in taking back points. Cheers !

Mood

Post by Mood »

Did they actually alter the AI in any way?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Michael_Z_Freeman wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 16:00
I know his is an old thread but it applies to the current beta and I think dev's deserve to know when all their hard work is paying off !
(...)
That's good to hear, however:
Mood wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:24
Did they actually alter the AI in any way?
No we haven't touched the AI settings during the beta at all. This is what confuses me about the AI - you change nothing in the AI setting and suddenly it performs better :?

Michael_Z_Freeman

MarKr wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 19:00
No we haven't touched the AI settings during the beta at all. This is what confuses me about the AI - you change nothing in the AI setting and suddenly it performs better :?
But as I said the balance/damage of various weapons, vehicles and units has changed so this would affect the AI as well, right ?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Yes, the stat changes of units apply no matter if they are controlled by a real player or an AI.