Sherman 76mm vs Easy Eight

Ask questions specifically to improving your game and get only answers.
Wake

Sherman 76mm vs Easy Eight

Post by Wake »

Can someone explain the difference between the regular Sherman M4A3 76mm and the M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" Sherman?

After unlocking the "cheaper Shermans" upgrade in the commander points tree of armor doc, the difference in price between these two units is only 7 fuel and 20 manpower. What makes the Easy Eight better than the regular 76mm Sherman in exchange for being slightly more expensive? Is it just that the Easy Eight drives faster and rotates faster?

Warhawks97

Re: Sherman 76mm vs Easy Eight

Post by Warhawks97 »

E8 has slighlt better armor (76 has 0.85 received pen modifier, E8 has 0.82).

Its also a bit faster and loses somewhat less accuracy while moving.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

E8 requires a chassis unlock in the WSC for around 20 fuel, so the first one costs 40 fuel more.

It’s a big enough difference to possibly just get another W76

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Wake

Post by Wake »

Since E8s vs 76 Shermans are being discussed in the other forum, I am curious if Warhawks and Wald believe the E8 is "worth" the additional price.

The E8 requires the HVSS Chassis unlock for 25 Fuel, and then each E8 also costs 7 more Fuel and 20 more MP compared to a regular Sherman 76(W). So in total, it is 32 more fuel to be able to produce the first E8.

Is it better to contribute the marginal cost of the 32 fuel towards producing a second Sherman 76 rather than an E8? Would you rather have one E8, or two 76s?

This is considering that Warhawks said above that the ONLY benefits of the E8 over the regular Sherman 76 are:
  • 3% better armor
  • Faster movement (both in acceleration and top speed)
  • Slightly more accurate firing while moving
Last edited by Wake on 31 Mar 2021, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Wake wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 15:22
Since E8s vs 76 Shermans are being discussed in the other forum, I am curious if Warhawks and Wald believe the E8 is "worth" the additional price.

The E8 requires the HVSS Chassis unlock for 25 Fuel, and then each E8 also costs 7 more Fuel and 20 more MP compared to a regular Sherman 76(W). So in total, it is 32 fuel to be able to produce the first E8.

Is it better to contribute the marginal cost of the 32 fuel towards producing a second Sherman 76 rather than an E8? Would you rather have one E8, or two 76s?

This is considering that Warhawks said above that the ONLY benefits of the E8 over the regular Sherman 76 are:
  • 3% better armor
I'd prefer to replace the Sherman 76W with the E8 and reduce the E8 price to Sherman 76W.

But apparently that's a bridge too far for some people.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Wake wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 15:22

The E8 requires the HVSS Chassis unlock for 25 Fuel, and then each E8 also costs 7 more Fuel and 20 more MP compared to a regular Sherman 76(W). So in total, it is 32 fuel to be able to produce the first E8.

• 3% better armor

"only" can decide between life and death. Having for example a reload time of just 0.5-1 sec faster is already a big advantage.

In this case a sherman has an acceleration of 1.9 and s a speed of 4.1
Tiger has 2 and 3.8
Panther A/G has 2.5 and 4.4
Jagdpanther has 2 and 4.4

Now comes E8 with 2.2 acceleration and 4.6 speed. Essentially that means that you can out-accelerate any unit but Panther A/G and be basically faster than most other Tanks with exception of the Panther D (which has a much slower acceleration though).

It also has a higher rotation speed than the mentioned tanks and others.

I think "only" is a bit misleading here.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Warhawks97 wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 19:22

You go from saying has slightly better armor, a bit faster, and loses somewhat less accuracy while moving to saying
Warhawks97 wrote:
"only" can decide between life and death. Having for example a reload time of just 0.5-1 sec faster is already a big advantage.
First you go from it's slightly better to it's a lot better. Then you say.
Warhawks97 wrote:
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. You say that "only" as in only a small improvement is misleading but then you can't even commit to that because you say "a bit misleading". Maybe it's a translation error.

On top of all this you make a thread about the E8, in line with the other too that seek to give it an ability to make it better and more distinct from the mere 76W Sherman.

In that thread you want to replace AP/HE with WP phosporous rounds that would be a combo of smoke/flame, give all Shermans a rapid fire ability, and then ON TOP OF THAT, want to replace the 76W with the Easy 8 that would cost the same as the 76W and reduce E8 received accuracy from .82 to .8.

So, you're taking my idea of just replacing the 76W with the E8 and getting rid of HVSS and adding extra buffs to the E8, which suggest to me that you do in fact think that the E8 is only slightly better than the normal 76W.

Which is it? MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Walderschmidt wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 17:57
Warhawks97 wrote:

You go from saying has slightly better armor, a bit faster, and loses somewhat less accuracy while moving to saying
Warhawks97 wrote:
First you go from it's slightly better to it's a lot better. Then you say.
Warhawks97 wrote:
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. You say that "only" as in only a small improvement is misleading but then you can't even commit to that because you say "a bit misleading". Maybe it's a translation error.

On top of all this you make a thread about the E8, in line with the other too that seek to give it an ability to make it better and more distinct from the mere 76W Sherman.

In that thread you want to replace AP/HE with WP phosporous rounds that would be a combo of smoke/flame, give all Shermans a rapid fire ability, and then ON TOP OF THAT, want to replace the 76W with the Easy 8 that would cost the same as the 76W and reduce E8 received accuracy from .82 to .8.

So, you're taking my idea of just replacing the 76W with the E8 and getting rid of HVSS and adding extra buffs to the E8, which suggest to me that you do in fact think that the E8 is only slightly better than the normal 76W.

Which is it? MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND.

Wald

Warhawks97 wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 18:25
Yes, the E 8 slighlty better than the 76 sherman. Its armor difference isnt really noticable. The chance for a Tank IV to pen is just about 2% higher as against e8.

The acceleration is a bit better. The speed is pretty much better. The 76 outruns any early german Tank or is at least on pair with it (F2) but with better combat stats. The e8 just helps to maintain this mobility advantage over the german Cats.

The e8 is way better on a tactical level when you got space to maneuver. But untill then they are basically the same in terms of combat performance.

I didnt say get rid of HVSS upgrade. That research stays. But then the standard is replaced by the E8. The cost would be the same basically.

I also didnt want to get rid of HE. But i questioned how usefull it is to give AP to shermans outside of armor doc. Because there is no target where this really matters for the outcome. Armor doc would be the only doc with all 3 ammo types and E8 basically.

Just i dont see a need for that burning shot for reasons markr pointed out. Stun smoke for shermans is what i requested.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Dude, is wake back? How are you doing man?

I prefer the E8. The extra movement just feels nice to me since I prefer playing more mobile. Stat comparisons (that i personally care about and make a difference to me as a player)

Key:
Stat ( 76W : E8)

Acceleration (1.3 : 2.2)
Rotation Rate (30 : 40)
Speed Max (3.5 : 4.6)
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

kwok wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 07:42
Dude, is wake back? How are you doing man?

I prefer the E8. The extra movement just feels nice to me since I prefer playing more mobile. Stat comparisons (that i personally care about and make a difference to me as a player)

Key:
Stat ( 76W : E8)

Acceleration (1.3 : 2.2)
Rotation Rate (30 : 40)
Speed Max (3.5 : 4.6)

Its 1.9 acceleration and. 4.1 speed for 76. 1.3 acceleration is tank iv H/J.