How does side armor work?

Ask questions specifically to improving your game and get only answers.
kwok
Team Member

How does side armor work?

Post by kwok »

In short... there is no such thing as side armor in COH. This was a decision made when VCOH was created and cannot be changed without advanced SCAR scripting which would put a large calculation strain on the game which would cause more desyncs and crashes.

Please see this wiki on how penetration works in COH.

https://companyofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Penetration
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Sparrow

Re: How does side armor work?

Post by Sparrow »

kwok wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:37
In short... there is no such thing as side armor in COH. This was a decision made when VCOH was created and cannot be changed without advanced SCAR scripting which would put a large calculation strain on the game which would cause more desyncs and crashes.

Please see this wiki on how penetration works in COH.

https://companyofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Penetration
yesterday we were playing 3v3 at La Fiere and my Jackson was beating the Panther Ace of Needammo, but my game get desync, while n his game his Panther beat my Jackson. Is it possible to optimize the scripting calculation of the shotting without getting a desync of the match?

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Not some as core as how damage calculations work, no. There are other ways we can optimize, but so far we found that the main thing that causes desync's for most players is network connectivity. Make sure you have good internet connections and good computers, it reduces desyncs. This is why a lot of LAN players (not VLAN) do not have so many desyncs.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

AriX

Post by AriX »

How armor works in game & I know there are damage, penetration, deflection values for guns. But wheres the vehicles armor value ?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

There is no armor value. The game works with penetration value of every gun versus each armor type.

AriX

Post by AriX »

MarKr wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:01
There is no armor value. The game works with penetration value of every gun versus each armor type.
More detailed, please ...

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Every unit has some "armor type". Every weapon has some basic penetration values at specific distances and then this basic penetration value is modified in Target Tables (TTs) when the gun is shooting at specific "armor types".

So for example some tank cannon can have penetration values 100%/90%/70%/60% (going from shooting at minimum range to maximum range) and when it shoots at a Tiger tank, the values in TTs can be modified by x0.2, so the penetration chances of this specific tank gun vs Tiger tanks would be 20%/18%/14%/12%. However, when the same gun shoots at (let's say) a hotchkiss, the TT can modify the basic penetration by x2 and in such case the penetration is always more than 100% so it will penetrate every time it hits. (numbers here are made up - it is just for illustration)

However, the penetration chances can be further modified at literally dozens of different places (by abilities, upgrades, Veterancy, cover unit-modifers, slot item and more) so this explanation covers just the very basics as the penetration is only one part of the entire damage system. Explaining the system in full details would require several pages of text.

AriX

Post by AriX »

MarKr wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 13:44
Every unit has some "armor type". Every weapon has some basic penetration values at specific distances and then this basic penetration value is modified in Target Tables (TTs) when the gun is shooting at specific "armor types".
What folder/file contain it ?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

It is in Attrib.sga file. Weapons are in "weapons" folder, units are in "ebps" folder.