Capture speeds of units

Ask questions specifically to improving your game and get only answers.
MarKr
Team Member

Capture speeds of units

Post by MarKr »

Hi, as there has been increasingly more talking about capping abilities of each faction I decided to shed some light on this matter and hopefully help you guys recognize which units are best for capping in early game (and throughout the game).

Let's start with a look at the "technical" side of capping. Each strategic/resource point has pre-set "capture time" (how many seconds it takes to capture the point). The cap times are:

- Strategic point: 8sec
- Low ammo/fuel point: 20sec
- Medium ammo/fuel point: 30sec
- High ammo/fuel point: 40sec
- Victory point: 45sec

But you surely noticed that some units can cap faster than others. This is because each infantry squad (or vehicle if doctrine has the ability) has its own capture speed modifier which changes the cap speed of the point when this or that specific unit captures this or that point. Below you can find the modifiers for units. The number is multiplier for capture SPEED (not TIME) that means that multipliers of "0.X" make the capping process LONGER (because they lower the SPEED) while multipliers of "1.X" make the process FASTER (because they increase the SPEED), if they were to modify the cap TIME, it would have been the other way around. So example: US Engineers have cap speed modifier of "0.4" so for them capping ANY point takes 60% more time so e.g. medium fuel will take 48 seconds (30*1.6). On the other hand US Riflemen have cap speed of "1.5" so they cap any point 50% faster so they will cap Medium fuel point in 15 seconds (30*0.5). And of course if a unit has cap speed of "1" then their cap speed is unchanged (same as written above for each point.

TL;DR: The higher the number the faster the squad captures points.

So here we go:
US
Engineers: 0.4
Riflemen: 1.5
Rangers: 1.25
Ranger Captain: 1
Combat engineers: 1.2
Infiltration rangers: 1.75
CQB: 1.5
101st: 1.75
82nd: 1.25
AB HQ team: 1.25

CW:
Sappers: 0.8
BOYS: 1 (will change to 0.8 in 4.9.9.)
Tommies: 1
Lieutenant/Captain: 1
Dingo: 1
Bren carrier (can cap only when carrying infantry): 0.85
Commandos (all units): 1
RE sappers: 1

WM:
Pioneers: 0.4
Volks: 1
Grenadiers: 1.5
Officer: 1.5
Storms (all squads): 1.5

PE:
PGrens/AssaultGrens/TankHunters: 0.75 (after cap upgrade: 1.2525)
Assault Pios: 1
Kettenkrad: 1
Schwimwagen: 1
Scout Car: 1
SS squad: 1.5
Hauptsutrmfuhrer: 1.5
Luft infantry (all of them): 1
Sabotage squad: 1

So you can see that slowest cappers are US engineers and WM Pioneers. PE Pgrens cap slightly slower than CW Sappers but after upgrade they can capture faster than any CW unit. It is also obvious that for PE in early game Assault pios/ketten/Schwim are better options than Pgrens.

I only listed values for infantry and early-available vehicles because these seem to be the most important in early game. BK doc can unlock capping ability for its tanks - I haven't checked all of them but in general the speed is "0.25". Armor doc can unlock capping for its light vehicles - again, I haven't checked them all but in general the speed seems to be to "1".

I hope this will help you in your future battles :)

Krieger Blitzer

Re: Capture speeds of units

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

BOYS: 1 (will change to 0.8 in 4.9.9.)

First, I thought the next patch would be named v5.0.0 but now you say it's going to be called v4.9.9 which isn't really anything of importance at all.. yet just wondering :P

However, I guess u mentioned elsewhere that the cap speed of AT Boys would be lowered to around 0.5 or so...
MarKr wrote:We are also considering lowering the cap speed of BOYS squad form "1" to "0.5" (or maybe lower) so they would cap significantly slower and thus would give more time to Axis to cap sectors in case CW wants to cap only with BOYS squads. If CW wants to cap faster, they will need to bring other infantry which will cost MP etc.

So I am just curious why did u suddenly change your opinion, and now just lowering it to 0.8 only?
You know Paks can't capture any points...

Infiltration rangers: 1.75
101st: 1.75

And isn't this a little bit too fast??!! Specifically the 101st squads? Considering the fact that you may have 4 of them...

BK doc can unlock capping ability for its tanks - I haven't checked all of them but in general the speed is "0.25". Armor doc can unlock capping for its light vehicles - again, I haven't checked them all but in general the speed seems to be to "1".

Lastly, isn't 0.25 actually toooo low??!! It's almost ignored.

Absolutely informative topic nevertheless.

Kr0noZ
Global Moderator

Post by Kr0noZ »

As far as the last thing goes, the US Armor capping ability applies only to light vehicles, whereas the Wehr BK capping ability is for all tanks, even the Tigers and Panthers can capture; also, decapping is a lot faster than capping with the german variant, so you can just kill the enemy map control while advancing with the big, tough units to deny the resources and use other stuff to actually cap them for you (like some volks coming up behind the advancing frontline). It has a different use-case than the US variant, which just allows trolling with armored cars like the M3 when playing big maps.
"Normal people belive... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe... if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
- Scott Adams

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

True, it's not a big deal for the BK doc cap ability... And yes; I definitely knew that it's for tanks and not for light vehicles unlike the US Armor doc capping unlock. I am also already aware about the de-capping speed, usually I unlock the BK doc cap just to get over booby traps anyway :P Since that booby traps can't be spotted with mine sweepers obviously.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Kr0noZ wrote: decapping is a lot faster than capping with the german variant

What do you mean here? are there different speeds from neutralizing to capturing sectors?

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

sgtToni95 wrote:
Kr0noZ wrote: decapping is a lot faster than capping with the german variant

What do you mean here? are there different speeds from neutralizing to capturing sectors?

Actually yes. The Tanks decap faster as they cap.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

MarKr wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:24
Hi, as there has been increasingly more talking about capping abilities of each faction I decided to shed some light on this matter and hopefully help you guys recognize which units are best for capping in early game (and throughout the game).

Let's start with a look at the "technical" side of capping. Each strategic/resource point has pre-set "capture time" (how many seconds it takes to capture the point). The cap times are:

- Strategic point: 8sec
- Low ammo/fuel point: 20sec
- Medium ammo/fuel point: 30sec
- High ammo/fuel point: 40sec
- Victory point: 45sec

What capture speed do spotters have?

What about Kettens - are they really 1 cap speed because they feel faster than that.

Wald
Last edited by Walderschmidt on 08 Dec 2020, 16:51, edited 2 times in total.
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

MarKr wrote:
So example: US Engineers have cap speed modifier of "0.4" so for them capping ANY point takes 60% more time so e.g. medium fuel will take 48 seconds (30*1.6). On the other hand US Riflemen have cap speed of "1.5" so they cap any point 50% faster so they will cap Medium fuel point in 15 seconds (30*0.5).
Just a little mistake here, when going below 1.0 time you've got to calculate differently: capping with 150% speed doesn't mean you need half the time, but two thirds of it.
So 1.5 cap speed results in ~0.67 cap time. Formula is base cap time (1) divided by cap speed (1.5).

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Diablo wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:45
MarKr wrote:
So example: US Engineers have cap speed modifier of "0.4" so for them capping ANY point takes 60% more time so e.g. medium fuel will take 48 seconds (30*1.6). On the other hand US Riflemen have cap speed of "1.5" so they cap any point 50% faster so they will cap Medium fuel point in 15 seconds (30*0.5).
Just a little mistake here, when going below 1.0 time you've got to calculate differently: capping with 150% speed doesn't mean you need half the time, but two thirds of it.
So 1.5 cap speed results in ~0.67 cap time. Formula is base cap time (1) divided by cap speed (1.5).
Yes. So if Mark means for rifles to cap in half the time, the rifles should have a capture rate of 2.0.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

They shouldn't have 2.0 because they are not meant to cap 50% faster. It was just my wrong assumption that the base cap time is multiplied by the number. I didn't measure the cap times ingame so I didn't know it doesn't add up. I wasn't aware the formula was "cap time divided by cap speed".
Walderschmidt wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 04:42

What about Kettens - are they really 1 cap speed because they feel faster than that.
Spotters 1
Ketten 1

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

MarKr wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 17:09
They shouldn't have 2.0 because they are not meant to cap 50% faster. It was just my wrong assumption that the base cap time is multiplied by the number. I didn't measure the cap times ingame so I didn't know it doesn't add up. I wasn't aware the formula was "cap time divided by cap speed".
Walderschmidt wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 04:42

Spotters 1
Ketten 1
Good to know.

And yeah - modifiers and explaining how they work can be a little wonky sometimes.

For example, 1.5 cap means that rifles cap things in 66% in of old time (or 34% faster).

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY