Non-doctrine way for british to counter mortar HT?

Ask questions specifically to improving your game and get only answers.
kwok
Team Member

Non-doctrine way for british to counter mortar HT?

Post by kwok »

I always have trouble taking on mortar HT's as brits. I don't want to get locked into a doctrine just to counter it. Maybe there is a non-doc way or maybe each doc has its own way?
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

JimQwilleran

Re: Non-doctrine way for british to counter mortar HT?

Post by JimQwilleran »

Generally it depends on the map and the unit selection I think. If PE player has a cover to hide, rushing for PIAT can chase him off, or even kill if he is incautious. If this ht comes much earlier than you can make PIAT, it means that PE player prioritized building it, so he has little infantry support. Then you should rush him with Boys and inf/recce. Recce alone can kill this HT in around 30 sec of shooting.

I also think that PE mortar ht is mainly a counter for British mortar emplacement, so if you don't build one there is much bigger probability you would see another scout car or assault engineers, but this is a matter of personal style.

Finally, if you have already built your mortar emplacement, you can always simply wage mortar war to your enemy. It is not uncommon to see those two units firing at each other at the same time. To be honest, unless PE player uses incendiary rounds, you have very fair chance to hit this ht with 3 mortar shells - enough to kill it. Even if your enemy decrew your emplacement, a sapper unit in vicinity can quickly make up for that.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

If you're playing against wurf he's always cautious in using it and you will have such a hard time tryin to get it with piats :)
If ht is not using incendiary rounds i've noticed mortar pit usually destroys it before being decrewed.. Not sure a recce alone can kill that in only 30 secs, i see it penetrating 50 cal. rounds not very often.. if you're patient enough you can use daimler armored car, that one usually makes a critical damage with the first shot (at least that happens to me quite often) so then you can use boys or piats to finish it.

Wake

Post by Wake »

Back when I used to play 2v2s with Jhah, we would never go double British for this reason. The mortar halftrack is a great counter to the early game British, and it's much easier to coordinate with an American teammate to try and destroy it rather than take it on as the British.

The tools available to you are these: You can use Boys AT, but any PE player who is paying attention will just drive his mortar halftrack away. You could also use the Recce, but it doesn't do damage quickly enough and the halftrack will just drive away. The third option is if you have your own mortar emplacement. You will actually win most of the time in a fight vs a mortar emplacement and a mortar halftrack as long as the halftrack does not use incendiary rounds. Another way, and this one is harder, is to use the Infantry Section's "button" ability with the Bren to slow down the halftrack while either Boys AT or a recce shoots at it.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I found daimlers and stuarts to be really helpful here now. Double daimler to hunt other halftracks. Those things are super super speedy.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.