PvP 2v2 Openings: Double Team Start

A place to debate and share game or general military strategy/tactics.
kwok
Team Member

PvP 2v2 Openings: Double Team Start

Post by kwok »

I just had a great game with eyecarrot. Wanted to post something about team work, dynamics, and planning. In this particular write up, I will explain one type of early game opening that is used often in higher levels and among friends: Double-Teaming.

4p_road_to_montherme.2017-01-08.13-13-33.rec
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 158 times

Opening Game Basics
Before I get into double-teaming, I should talk about some BK opening ideas. These are just how I personally approach openings in BK. Everyone has their own philosophies and style.

What to ask when you start a game; asking "what doc?" is the wrong question
Most of the time, games start with separated 1v1s across the map. The 1v1's outcome multiple winners and losers and normally the side with more winners gains huge advantages to increase their chances of a total game win. Personally, I do not like this style of opening because of a few things: little control over the macro battle, dependency on potential low ranked players, sometimes unknown on who you will face in the 1v1, lack in diversity in 1v1 openings due to match ups. To make an example and attempt to break the meta, most players ask before a game starts "what doc?" I really don't like this because many times I choose my doctrine based on situation as the game evolves so that I can bring in counterplays. If I lock in a doctrine before the game starts and I run into a 1v1 where I am countered already I've immediately brought a disadvantage to me team. Instead I encourage you as players to ask "what are your starting units?" That way when you get into game you are not stuck losing an early game because everyone bought a jeep but no AT against the PE scout car.
GAME COMMENTARY: This game I did not ask eyecarrot his starting units, instead hehe I accidentally alt tabbed in the beginning, was late to the game, and just observed what eyecarrot started with.

Scouting ahead, assessing the enemy, plotting against the enemy
When your units are out, people normally run to their formula critical point, hit the sandbags, and then pray they win the first engage. It because a game of RNG and catching people's mistakes. I take a different approach and try to counter a formula or a play. But a lot of times, I can only safely counter a formula if the opponent MAKES that formulaic play. That being said, you will see a lot of higher level players run with a jeep/schwimm scout to see what early game the opponent has chosen and then make a counterplay. So the lesson here is don't be so quick to run to your favorite spot! Unless you know the enemy well enough or you have calculated out the map where you can safely achieve your plan, take it slow and watch the game. Then strike like a dragon with the fires of hell out of your mouth!
GAME COMMENTARY: I rolled up with a schwimm with a level of pre-calculation. I know right now in this patch, british do not have early AT. So, I scouted to find the brit player first because I know I can strike quick and not run into the risk of a 37mm. Lucky for me, the Brit player was on my teammate's side. This is a great segway into

Double Teaming

Synergize Units
Make sure that if you plan to double team, you choose the right units. If you both take units that can be countered, you will have wasted all efforts and the opponents will have won 2 sides. This doesn't mean that you always get a mix of units, but it means that you should create units that will be able to work well together and against your opponent. For example, against a PE player making sure one person has AT while another has some type of crowd controlling/hard anti inf like an MG/sniper. This will stop any opening PE decides to go. But, lets say you're against an WM, then maybe the AT gun isn't as necessary because the chances of a heavy car that can't be stopped with small arms is zero. This lets you have a much more aggressive build order, like two jeeps and an infantry section. Getting recon and scouting ahead is really helpful in double teaming. Probably the strongest double teaming units are cars because of their mobility. They may lack initial power but when massed, they can really hurt.
GAME COMMENTARY: Because we were up against a british player, the double schwimm is a great opening. Normally, sandbagged sappers can stop a schwimm, but with 2 schwimms with on distracting and one flanking, the sappers were taken care of quickly.

Pressing the Attack
Once one player is dealt with, it's important to keep fighting to make up for the lost time in capturing. The other opponent has had a lot of time to set up and prepare. You are most likely behind fuel and tech from fighting, so you should make up the time by if not attack, harassing your other opponent with your 2v1 power. Your other opponent will be unsupported because you already eliminated one teammate. So leverage the fact that you have 50% map control from winning one side, more units produced, and more micro power (two hands instead of 1) to burden your last opponent. This is a scalable tactic as well. There are a few games I've had where my best teammate, Shadow and I cut across an entire 4v4 map knocking out players one at a time. Make all your choices worth doing. You don't need to completely wipe out an enemy, but at least win so much that your opponent has spent more than you have.
GAME COMMENTARY: Schwimms are nice for cutting across and pushing attack because of their mobility. It also helped that I was able to push across instead of from the forward position. By pushing for the middle, eyecarrot and I were able to hit the USA player from a flank instead of the forward position where the US player would have sandbags. Map power is a great advantage.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

DolphinsAreGaySharks

Re: PvP 2v2 Openings: Double Team Start

Post by DolphinsAreGaySharks »

Play with some fuckn balls and let the guides aside..Words are for losers!
You re writing an essay like you re giving exams ffs!
PS. ''I build emplacements cause the game itself has it so what's wrong'' , so my answer is i can basebomb cause the game lets me! Hope you wont play again against me cause it will be a huge party.....!

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

If I would type something like this each time I win a game, I would probably become a giant BK philosopher; I mean like a really GIANT one :D

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Sorry that people asked me to do this and I said "okay"? Dolphin, were you that gaten mazarro or whatever you spell it last game I played? The one where you went double blitz? I've got that replay in my temp as well. I've got balls to post it.

And tiger, I'm pretty sure that you post more replays than I do. So closer to "if I posted every time I won" than I am.
I also think that of all people, you do post long huge posts with the record amount of posts on this forum. I guess the difference between my post and yours are mine are guides to help people improve that you have suggested creating once upon a time when BKNC was a lot more official; your posts are usually balance complaints and campaigns.

EDIT:
This is you dolphin?
temp.rec
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 150 times
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

kwok wrote:And tiger, I'm pretty sure that you post more replays than I do. So closer to "if I posted every time I won" than I am.

True, I post more replays than u do... But it's worth to mention that I also upload ones where I lose btw.. not saying that you never upload games when u lose too; but either ways, usually I don't make philosophy of it!

Anyway mate; I didn't mean anything in a bad manner actually, was just a joke. You played well... So GG there :)

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

All right, sorry for the bite back then tiger. GG.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

DolphinsAreGaySharks wrote:Play with some fuckn balls and let the guides aside..Words are for losers!
If you consider the text useless then don't follow the hints in it. What is your point in coming here just to make this sort of post?

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

DolphinsAreGaySharks wrote:Play with some fuckn balls and let the guides aside..Words are for losers!
You re writing an essay like you re giving exams ffs!
PS. ''I build emplacements cause the game itself has it so what's wrong'' , so my answer is i can basebomb cause the game lets me! Hope you wont play again against me cause it will be a huge party.....!

So you really think this childish kind of post will lead to anything good? Really? Im going to tell you what is going to happend, first: some dudes Will jump into that shit of a post you just made, second: insults will rain and be answered, third: we will need to moderate that kinder garden who go completely south.
Losing, winning, who give a damn? You can't win all the time anyway, so cool down, be polite and respectful, because it is not our primary job to Clean the shit on our forum, got it?