Final initial list! v4.95/v5.00

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Eldrak1911

Re: Final initial list! v4.95/v5.00

Post by Eldrak1911 »

To be exact, perhaps the whole factions needs rework, but as stated by Tiger, this is a f*cking HUGE work to do, so it's not going to happen, as it's simply pretty impossible (and probably not worth the effort with coh2 now).

For me the whole PE faction has a problem. It has mainly a support role because there is really no offensive doctrine in it. It's unlikely to play 1vs1 with PE or multiplayer with only PE if there is no Wher to lead the offensive. As stated, even the defensive Wher doc is more offensive than any PE. This is why we talked about giving the Panther to the TH doc.
Personnaly, i don't have any problem going offensive with pe, in fact, it's easier for me to be offensive with pe (for example, the TH doctrine) than with Werh. PE got some realy good vehicles, the scout car, as an example, is just amazing when it comes to lockdown and kill infantry.

Luft lacks many things and excells in nothing. Instead of nebels I would like to see maultiers, to give mobility. Flaks should be the iconic weapon of this doc, they should therefore have more range than wher ones. The infantry... gebirsg and fallsch are somehow redundant and not THAT amazing. Don't know, too much to do and not going to happen

Not agreeing. Ok luft is not a super op doctrine, but it's a still a good doctrine, good infantry, good air support (Fockewolf, HE112, reco), good mobility with the para, or even just with HT. A gun is a gun, especialy at/aa flaks, between to 88 Flaks, the only way to get more range is to aim better, so the more vetted the crew, the more you got a high range.

Thought, i agree on one thing, the gebirgs and Fallschirm are somehow redundant (They still are realy good imo).
Hey, i'm a bat, man !

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

PE is kind of complicate.

Infantry:

1. A single PE soldier is actually very good. They have usually armor type "tp_infantry_solider" which makes them more resistant against some weapons (most allis HMG´s suffer accuracy penalty vs not moving PE grens). Get them behind sandbags and give nades and they will stand their ground well.

The HP is between 65 and 75. I do not think that PE is anyhow bad or Luft inf bad (its actually the best inf you can get considering their weapons and standard abilties). The G43 scopped is by far the best rifle you can get (damage, rof, reload speed, accuracy, magazin size is the best).

Just PE has some disadvantages compared to WH (which also makes PE looking much worse as it might be):
1. Their inf is less versatile in offense (unlike grens PE grens cant get schrecks and AT squads have only one).
-> Less schrecks. WH runs arround with dozens of schrecks on every squad, PE does not.

2. The PE inf has lots of upgrades like advanced repairs, veterancy officer that increases their efficency and versatility on the field but they do not get really close to WH grenadier power: In Terror Grens get STGs for free, flame nades and VT ability. In def doc they get great defensive boosts. In fact, if they sit in yellow cover their received suppression almost 0. Also reduced taken damage etc. So if you get choose def doc the grens are becoming just as powerfull as Luft inf in late games when map is full with craters and cover and if you choose terror doc you can also make better assaults.
The Bk doc stormtrooper are the most powerfull inf in game (in all aspects so far) but also cheaper as Luft inf.

3. WH grens do have more HP. Their armor type is just tp_inf but if i checked it correctly Luft inf has the same (not sure though). But tp_soldier offers usually advantages vs MG´s and only if you dont move (0.75 accuracy modifer against tp_solider if not moving). That means that PE basic inf in late game barely becomes as powerfull in assault as standard WH grens with boosts inf def or terror doc.

4. Axis grens are cheaper.

5. Axis Grens have much better stats with K98 as the PE grens have. PE gren are as good with K98 as WH Volksgrens. So PE do not get a higher damageoutput when using heavy assault grens as WH does with Volksgrens.

6. if i am correct the WH inf has also less upkeep.

Conclusion:
WH grens are elites. Equipment, doctinal boosts, HP, Rifle stats, abilties (doctrinal). They are easily competetive with any elite unit in the game.
PE grens for much higher cost are somewhere between Volks and Grens but more expensive.

Armor:

WH has lots of good alrounder tanks (especially BK doc but Terror in late game) which shred inf, which have turret, speed, gun power, armor and so on. So they fight with less units.

Def doc has less versatile tanks but therefore capable of providing lots of quickly available usefull tools: Def tools behind the tanks, arty, lots of very fast repairing and cheap pios, powerfull inf (actually all in is very strong after def upgrade and when staying in cover).

General conclusion:

WH has lot better cost performence ratios. It does not necessarily mean that PE needs to get cheaper everywhere. But some adjustments are necessary (some costs up, some down, some stats up, others down) to bring the units in line with their price tags. This is, lmao, the greatest issue.

WH can play with less units due their many roles each unit can fill during offense. While PE needs a full set of anti tank unit, defense units, assault inf units etc to launch one carefull assault and while a single unit loss can result in an entire stop and assault collapse and while replacing of each unit is takes some time the WH gets out 1-2 inf squads, one tank and rush the attack. In case its lost it doesnt matter that hard, you just need 2 units or three to have the basic requirements for combat (and even assault).

Basically every faction needs some reserve, defense, offense and specific units. Number one faction is CW. They are very specific and each unit damn expensive. So assaults do take some longer time to prepare. Thats followed by PE. PE might be even worse here as CW (thats my feeling when i play TH doc) but generally on place two. Thats followed by US. Their units are often multipurpose but weaker and sometimes very specific. But those do have lots of cheaper stuff so they can provide necessary tools quickly usually. Also their ammount of defenses and units can be almost endless due to supply yard.
The best and my favorit aggressive faction is WH. Even if you have just three units you can defend and attack. I love WH and play it supper aggressive with as less units as possible to keep my upkeep low.

So yeah, some rifle fixing (fine tuning) on axis side could help to close some efficency and especially cost efficency gaps between WH and PE (that gap is huge i would say). Fixed 75 mm L/48 could help (especially PE suffers since 75 L/48 on hetzer and JP IV is the worst of all) a lot as well. A Panther G in TH doc would give PE a lot more offensive power able to launch more assaults during a game or lets say to launch an real assault at all.

For Luft it could help to have at least the pios changed from expensive airdropp to cheap call in to get more of them and to replace them easier.

@Tiger: Sure, we would have to remove the elephant and SP for sake of realism. But sometimes the realism also provides the best sample for games. In that case for the Luftwaffe docs new design:

1. Reg 5 as 450 MP airdropped assault unit dropping with MP 40 and schreck in package. 2 FG42 for 75 ammo and 2x2 STG for each 50 ammo (or maybe even max 2 x 2 FG42 for each double pack 75 ammo) would turn it into something beautifull which isnt too expensive to be used quickly in certain situations and to be used as part of a combined arms force.

2. Gebirgs as 400 MP call in with G43 as standard weapon. Lmg 34 as upgrade and also up to 4 scopped G43. Reinforce cost from 45 to 42. Or they could be a 450 MP call in with Lmg 34 as default weapon (and maybe even 1-2 scoped G43 as default weapon).

3. Luft pios as call in for approx 260 MP (depending whether they get weapon stats changes, improved rep as default etc etc).

4. 88 gets barrage ability.

5. (passively:) Taking advantage of buffed Hetzer gun (damage and slight buffed pen vs shermans).
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Eldrak1911

Post by Eldrak1911 »

1. Reg 5 as 450 MP airdropped assault unit dropping with MP 40 and schreck in package. 2 FG42 for 75 ammo and 2x2 STG for each 50 ammo (or maybe even max 2 x 2 FG42 for each double pack 75 ammo) would turn it into something beautifull which isnt too expensive to be used quickly in certain situations and to be used as part of a combined arms force.

2. Gebirgs as 400 MP call in with G43 as standard weapon. Lmg 34 as upgrade and also up to 4 scopped G43. Reinforce cost from 45 to 42. Or they could be a 450 MP call in with Lmg 34 as default weapon (and maybe even 1-2 scoped G43 as default weapon).

3. Luft pios as call in for approx 260 MP (depending whether they get weapon stats changes, improved rep as default etc etc).

4. 88 gets barrage ability.

5. (passively:) Taking advantage of buffed Hetzer gun (damage and slight buffed pen vs shermans).
Warhawks97

That sounds nice but... Please, don't make the gebirgs called in. I mean, Ok for luft since they are, that's true, more "spammable" with that, but Gebirgs ? PE are going to have only 2 airdropped unit then, that's already few, so making the gebirgs called in...
Hey, i'm a bat, man !

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Ok Hawks, looks like u r neglecting what I said about the reworking kind of suggestions; fine then... However that I could probably help with passing all these 'dreams' for u.. becoming finally an achieved true.
But ALL what we need from u then.. is just nothing except a donation for 60$ or even more perhaps! :lol: :twisted:

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

These 5 points arent that hard to make actually. It doesnt include any doctrinal unlock changes. But i think this is the only way to drop their cost. Making them cheaper with current equipment would make them way too OP. 450 MP for a squad that has the most powerfull weapons at default is just not balanced.

Also luft doesnt actually mean to have a "must have full airdrop operation capacities".

450 MP fallis with MP40 that quickly drop somwehere to take out the one or other emplacment or pak and doing some harassment and Gebirgs which then backing the fallis from distance with lmgs.

And cheap Pioneers would allow to quickly get up defenses and to maintain more at the same time.

I mean currently I but also lots of others play luft like a normal inf doc. Attack and retreat to Hauptsturmführer that is usually sitting in a healing HT. Also often Gebirgs with Hauptsturmführer behind and retreat point to an HQ or healing HT.

And nobody is really risking to drop a 550 MP squad simply somewhere or they do it only on extrem MP floated maps.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Ok Hawks, looks like u r neglecting what I said about the reworking kind of suggestions
I wouldn't say that those 5 points should be considered as a "doctrine rework" - It would only change prize, upgrades and availability of three units, add one ability to emplacement and the last one with 75mm gun is not even doctrine specific, but more of a global tweak.

Anyway, why is it needed to make Luft pios call-in? Can't they stay droppable while also making them buildable in barracks? If you need them fast, you can drop them (higher price, parachute reinforce), if you don't need them that fast, build them in base (lower cost, no parachute reinforce) - of course only buildable after Command tree unlock.
Not saying this will happen but as I see the pro- and con- arguments this would satisfy both sides.

Also some time ago I was thinking what could be done with Luft since quite a few people mentioned it becoming quite weak. I was thinking that the Luft "training" upgrade in Command tree could increase the limit of Reg 5 and Gebirgs so Luft players would have more units later in the game when facing the "unbeatable rifle spam".
Another idea was to make the PE infantry upgrades affect Luft infantry too - faster XP, faster capture rate (probably not that important but still...), possible 7th squad member.
As I said these were just quick ideas, so quite possibly there would be some problem that hasn't crossed my mind...so it is more of a basis for possible further brainstorming :D

But ALL what we need from u then.. is just nothing except a donation for 60$ or even more perhaps! :lol: :twisted:
What? :?

Eldrak1911

Post by Eldrak1911 »

I mean currently I but also lots of others play luft like a normal inf doc. Attack and retreat to Hauptsturmführer that is usually sitting in a healing HT. Also often Gebirgs with Hauptsturmführer behind and retreat point to an HQ or healing HT.

I don't, but it doesn't matter ^^ The problem with gebirgs being called in is that they won't be foreguard anymore, i'm pretty sure that if they become called in units, lot's of player will prefer to build some panzergrenadiers in foreward hq than gebirgs in base (perhaps i'm mistaking myself, perhaps not...).

And, obsvioulsy, that luftwaffe will have only one airdropped unit. I mean, look at the airborne, full airdropped, they even got an airdropped base ! Same with commandos on the cw side. It would not be "fair" (i know, how naive i am ? huh !), for the pe not to have an decent airdropped force.

Anyway, why is it needed to make Luft pios call-in? Can't they stay droppable while also making them buildable in barracks? If you need them fast, you can drop them (higher price, parachute reinforce), if you don't need them that fast, build them in base (lower cost, no parachute reinforce) - of course only buildable after Command tree unlock.
Not saying this will happen but as I see the pro- and con- arguments this would satisfy both sides.

That's a good deal imo.

Also some time ago I was thinking what could be done with Luft since quite a few people mentioned it becoming quite weak. I was thinking that the Luft "training" upgrade in Command tree could increase the limit of Reg 5 and Gebirgs so Luft players would have more units later in the game when facing the "unbeatable rifle spam".

I'm not sure this would be good, i mean, they are Elite units no ? Elite men are pretty rare ^^

faster XP, faster capture rate (probably not that important but still...)

Could be nice, but their capture rate is already good imo.
Hey, i'm a bat, man !

Krieger Blitzer

MarKr wrote:What?

Hahahahahahahahahaha... Just encouraging more people to donate in my own 'smart' way.. which is a good thing for the mod at the end!!! xD

Exactly as I expected after all.. as I knew it for myself that this sentence would definitely push either u or even Wolf himself to comment on it quickly for a certain; hahahahaha... However that it wasn't any kind of villainy from my side, so no worries at all here :D If u ever get what I mean so far :P

Oh no, so just nevermind ^_^

MarKr wrote:I wouldn't say that those 5 points should be considered as a "doctrine rework" - It would only change prize, upgrades and availability of three units, add one ability to emplacement and the last one with 75mm gun is not even doctrine specific, but more of a global tweak.

Good to see that u actually don't consider these as massive rework suggestions in fact... :)

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

I'm not sure this would be good, i mean, they are Elite units no ? Elite men are pretty rare ^^
Maybe, but what other elites do we have in the mod? Storms, Commandos and maybe Inf doc Rangers. Iirc you can have more of these in the field than Luft of their elites. Anyway it would give you options but still they are pretty expansive so filling the limit would be at expense of fielding other units.

Good to see that u actually don't consider these as massive rework suggestions in fact... :)
In general, I understand a doctrine rework in the way that units are taken away from doctrines and moved to other docs or replaced by others units, significant changes in Command trees (e.g. replacing stuff there; not moving 1CP from one unlock to another) or a complete overhaul of a doctrine - which is the "give us back the old TH doc".
What Warhawks suggested is that kind of stuff that usually comes with patches (price tweaks, unit abilities, weapon balancing).

Eldrak1911

Post by Eldrak1911 »

Maybe, but what other elites do we have in the mod? Storms, Commandos and maybe Inf doc Rangers. Iirc you can have more of these in the field than Luft of their elites. Anyway it would give you options but still they are pretty expansive so filling the limit would be at expense of fielding other units.

Hmm, that's true...
Hey, i'm a bat, man !

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

MarKr wrote:
Ok Hawks, looks like u r neglecting what I said about the reworking kind of suggestions
I wouldn't say that those 5 points should be considered as a "doctrine rework" - It would only change prize, upgrades and availability of three units, add one ability to emplacement and the last one with 75mm gun is not even doctrine specific, but more of a global tweak.

Another idea was to make the PE infantry upgrades affect Luft infantry too - faster XP, faster capture rate (probably not that important but still...), possible 7th squad member.
As I said these were just quick ideas, so quite possibly there would be some problem that hasn't crossed my mind...so it is more of a basis for possible further brainstorming :D

Just like the RE combat sappers:P

If we going to change the cost of that one pls consider CW sappers, combat sapper, AB FHQ engineers as well. Just saying. Not that we get a 250 MP pio squad with Volks rifle stats that is also dropable for lets say 320 MP with advanced repairs at default while others like CW (RE) pays for them as much as axis pay for grens and stormtroopers. Just saying to keep the "fairness" or "balance" in this issue.

Increasing the number wouldnt help to be honest. If you get all 4 squads on the field you can actually rape any ammount of infantry, doesnt matter how many your enemie will send. The ressources wouldnt be enough anyway to keep 5 of such squads in combat due to reinforce cost.

Also we would just return to the "one elite unit spam" like we had in old times. Elites shouldnt "outnumber" others and thats something we should keep up. I mean we increased reinforce cost of commandos and luft inf for that purpose.

So 7th men wouldnt be a good choice either. The "problems" elites like those do have is the fact that they cost lots to build (remember, thats why we swapped build cost with reinforce cost). Reinforce cost do help to adjust the spam over time. So if you dont want to have a unit made for attrition combat you simply increase the reinforce cost.

The build cost are important to determine how good a unit can be supported. Thats why i think it makes often more sense to increase the reinforce cost when a squad is considered to be too cheap for their performence by keeping the build cost rather low.

So the main issue is the possibility of introducing these elites into a combined arms force in which these elites do a job during an advance but not carrying an entire assault alone. They have the weapons and abilties to deal with every threat by their own but not when all these threats come together. Like when a sherman fights along with rifles. They will beat the luft squad most usually by costing together not really more to build.

So my point of view is that no infantry unit shouldnt cost more than 450 MP. I mean 500 is the ammount of res you get approx in 1-2 mins and add to that reinforce cost of other units during that time.

but currently it would be kind of unbalanced if luft drops for 450 MP with their current massive equipment while others with such cost have just stens or just rifles. With other words the build cost of the entire infantry in this game would be shaken by making them that cheap with such default equipment. So the easiest way would probably be to drop the MP cost and adding ammo cost (weapons as upgrades).

So yeah, getting more than 4 of them doesnt makes sense. Something you cant solve with 4 squads wont be solved with a fifth one. At a certain point ammount doesnt matter and its necessary to combine different units. Spam doesnt solve everything (inf doc is a famous sample sometimes when even the largest ammount of rangers wont kill Panther/gren combo or only in a very cost uneffective way and with huge feeding of the enemie).

And a 7th men doesnt help either. Would just cause more rambo behaviour and generally higher reinforce cost per combat (players tend to to always reinforce the entire squad).

The veterancy officer upgrade might help but again scared of getting too much rambo combat. Especially Gebirgs are pretty hard to kill in late games. Many consider gebirgs as very tough unit already.

So its basically all about the build cost (not mistake with reinforce cost which currently have to stay being set perfectly. Some wont agree but cheaper build cost means better support of other units resulting in less losses. So the is an indirect affect) and without shaking the entire infantry combat such cost drop are most easily achieved by that "MP-> ammo cost trade".

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

You say that the numbers at Luft side are OK, but Sukin said few posts above that Luft simply cannot fend off infantry spam...there is a contradiction here and I guess that it is in great deal a matter of individual point of view but still the contradiction is weird.

Also you want to lower the costs of Luft infantry at the expense of removing their weapons...so you will have cheaper drop, but to get them to the performance level they have now, you will need to spend a lot of ammo and still, if I get it right, you won't be able to give them full FG42 loadout (4 max, right?). Basically they would become 100MP cheaper but 150 Ammo more expensive if you want to have them as effective as they are now and in case you need ammo elsewhere or you are simply short on ammo for some reason, you won't even get them the weapons they have now.

Krieger Blitzer

Also you want to lower the costs of Luft infantry at the expense of removing their weapons...so you will have cheaper drop, but to get them to the performance level they have now, you will need to spend a lot of ammo and still, if I get it right, you won't be able to give them full FG42 loadout (4 max, right?). Basically they would become 100MP cheaper but 150 Ammo more expensive if you want to have them as effective as they are now and in case you need ammo elsewhere or you are simply short on ammo for some reason, you won't even get them the weapons they have now.

Exactly as said here!
Honestly speaking... I don't really like the suggestion proposed by Hawks regarding the Luft inf.. not because of that it's a bad one but simply cuz I think that it's still only about a lot of different changes upon several units to be done, yet for no real benefit at the end to be worth all this work anyhow.

Specifically not mentioning that NOT ONLY he does want to completely re-adjust the Luft inf.. as he is obviously looking forward on the other hand to also totally re-tune some more squads on the Allies side as a result... Where it will end being the same thing after all this way then. While keeping in mind btw that I strongly believe there are even easier solutions which could be done with similar.. if not even better results!!
And that was why I actually called this as reworking kind of suggestions since I can understand how Hawks is thinking very well :)

Now as a response to the ideas proposed by u... MarKr;
-increasing the limit at the current cost of 550MP or even at a reduced price by 50MP as already requested.. won't really help since u won't ever reach it due to lacking of MP res, increasing the limit could be useful only if their cost was around 450MP perhaps which also can't happen unless they get to lose their superior default loadout.. and for the same reasons u mentioned above as I confirmed them too... Once again it's not worth it then.

-increasing the squad size is not useful either for the reasons Hawks mentioned considering the reinforce cost.

-Boosting them could be done by just giving the HauptOfficer squad the heroic charge aura ability at Vet 2.. easier than applying the PE veterancy upgrades for them! Specifically since that generally the PE inf are in fact lacking smoke cover as there are almost no any other possible kind of available options for them at all to counter the suppression power of the Allies. Unlike the Allies on the other hand... Commandos inf for example have smoke abilities which instantly removes suppression by default.. CBQs, infilteration Ranger squads and the 82nd airborne units have all got the fire-up ability just by default and it's for free as well... That's why Allies often don't srsly fear any MGs!
Although that yet the PE sadly can't remove the suppression or just so hardly does.
WH is not much better when it comes to this point.. but at least the leader Storm squad has the heroic charge ability at Vet 1 if not mistaken!

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

MarKr wrote:You say that the numbers at Luft side are OK, but Sukin said few posts above that Luft simply cannot fend off infantry spam...there is a contradiction here and I guess that it is in great deal a matter of individual point of view but still the contradiction is weird.

Ye, Luft can't stand super spam of inf doc....but I have never said that the numbers are wrong, increasing paratroopers limit makes no sense, currently it's impossible to keep all 4 squads in battle because of their reinforce cost, what to say about 5-6, you simply will never collect MP for them.

If you don't want a lot of changes than... Drop down the upkeep of Luft inf and give some more HP to reg.5, it's so odd that they are less resistant to fire than basic wh grens.

Yafa

Post by Yafa »

-Boosting them could be done by just giving the HauptOfficer squad the heroic charge aura ability at Vet 2.. easier than applying the PE veterancy upgrades for them! Specifically since that generally the PE inf are in fact lacking smoke cover as there are almost no any other possible kind of available options for them at all to counter the suppression power of the Allies. Unlike the Allies on the other hand... Commandos inf for example have smoke abilities which instantly removes suppression by default.. CBQs, infilteration Ranger squads and the 82nd airborne units have all got the fire-up ability just by default and it's for free as well... That's why Allies often don't srsly fear any MGs!
Although that yet the PE sadly can't remove the suppression or just so hardly does.
WH is not much better when it comes to this point.. but at least the leader Storm squad has the heroic charge ability at Vet 1 if not mistaken!

soo true .... this is what me and seha discussed before with warhawk even in the previous pages of this topic

luft inf don't have a special leader unit unlike airborne and stormtroops or commando ,this panzer elite officer squad is their leader !

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

I actually suggested adding a leader Luft squad back in the old forum...iirc nobody was against it but in the end the idea got lost and never made it to the game. Anyway even if a leader squad of some sort was created it would take more than just that to give an edge to Luft...

increasing paratroopers limit makes no sense, currently it's impossible to keep all 4 squads in battle because of their reinforce cost, what to say about 5-6, you simply will never collect MP for them.
Yeah, I thought this might be the case.

If you don't want a lot of changes than... Drop down the upkeep of Luft inf and give some more HP to reg.5, it's so odd that they are less resistant to fire than basic wh grens.
As you talk about it, maybe the veterancy CT unlock could improve these factors a little bit... I mean giving them some boost right from the begining would probably turn them too OP in early game.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Yep, I agree. But HP change shall be applied only for reg.5, gebirgs are very good currently.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

MarKr wrote:You say that the numbers at Luft side are OK, but Sukin said few posts above that Luft simply cannot fend off infantry spam...there is a contradiction here and I guess that it is in great deal a matter of individual point of view but still the contradiction is weird.

You making an important mistake. Or even two.

1. Counter spam with spam
- The best and my fav way to counter spam is with a mix of units with average cost and good cost performence ratio. This is why i love BK doc so much. No unit i use (except panther maybe) exceeds the 450 MP production mark. Grens/storms, Tank IV´s, stugs, Puma with 20 mm and 75 mm stubby, Ostwinds. I can get each unit pretty fast in case i need them and each has decent performence though not exceeding the 450 MP mark. So if you going to create a crossfire of volks with lmg, Puma with 20 mm, 50 mm pak and maybe one gren or storm squad you do have a very good "controle" over any incoming masses. You can play a flexible ranged defense that is elastic and that allows to let the enemie run far into your territory being under permanent fire followed by an immediate counterattack.
This is far better as giving simply spam capabilties in order to fight of spam
2. Making a single or two units so strong that they can literally fight off endless masses.
Actually, when the Luft inf is being fielded almost completely with vets and without making pure dump blobb assaults a luft player will more or less never really lose vs pure enemie inf masses. They would and will lose because of a mix of rangers in ambush, snipers, shermans and off map arty strikes. So actually they dont need to become even more stronger. They need a production price that allows a better support of those (eg AA tanks, hetzers, snipers, mortar, paks).

If they get cheaper they would be backed with more support. Just as sample the halfed cost of the Luft pios+ the 100 MP less for reg 5 and gebirgs enables the luft player to get other units earlier and more. More effective back up by 88´s that would be easier maintained, 20 mm flaks (which would be buffed vs vehicles) and hetzers. So they might not require their total loadout anymore.

I am using the experience of inf doc here. If i have few units i do give more weapons to a single squad. Usually BAR+rifle nade or thompson/zook or lmg/zook.
In late game when i am getting more i often dont give upgrades to some squads or only a single one. Like only 2x3 thompson, only a zook, only an lmg, only rifle nade. The ammo i do save here is being then spend into off map arty support, shermans and HE rounds, M10 with AP rounds and so on.

So although each squad is barely equiped then or using only standard rifles their support is becoming better and so the overall strenght of my army. The more units you get, the less powerfull a single one need to be. With PE i am doing same sometimes. I never fully equip my SS squad. They only get two LMG´s and thats it. They only fight from distance.

With volks i give either only lmg or only MP40 and each squad has a purpose then. Grens sometimes as well. Two squads with stg (and maybe schreck), only with lmg.

And imagine now these two squads. 450 MP gebirgs call in that have G43 unscoped G43 and one lmg 34 or 42 as default weapon and 2-4 scopped G43 available.
The Reg 5 with MP 40 (like being the counterpart to 82nd or sten commandos) for 450 MP. The ammount of upgrades would then depend how much the player will focus on that squad (should they just kill some AT guns and emplacments and their job is done? or long termed use?).

So by making these changes Luftwaffe could get more units, more different. They wouldnt send masses of elites as spam to counter masses of cheap basic inf. They would rather fight as real elite forces or elite armies would do.

At the end the doc would be a mix of many things. A little bit of BK style with close range assault squads with anti emplacment abilities and weapons (like stormtroopers), ranged elite combat unit (Gebirgs would fill the role of the BK suppression squad or being comparable at least just with more abilties like the faust vs tanks). The cheap luft pios with advanced repairs at default would be similiar to dev doc pios and maintaining and building defenses.
The Hetzer tank and panther would also provide lots of mobile and powerfull anti tank power, in defense as well as in offense.

So the doc would be extremely unique. The playstyle would be a mix of BK doc stormtroopers just not exactly specialized as those with mobile retreat halftrack, def doc with 88 guns and 20 mm flaks just not exactly specialized as those and partly Tankhunter doc with hetzer but also assault doc like the BK doc.
In addition to that air support. And this mix and this high adaptability is what makes this doc so extremly dangerous at the end. There wouldnt be even a need to be fully capable of doing airborne operations in the scale AB doc can do.

And finally, when you spare 200 MP for two reg 5 squads, 160 MP for a single pio squad and the 220 or 240 MP for the advanced repair upgrade you already spared 600 MP in total which is the cost of an entire emplaced 88 or 1 1/2 of an naked 88. That means that the VT support could finally become a lot more usefull, especially on long term when two pio squads spared already the cost of an other 88.

And this is how i see the new Luft doc. An overhaul by very simple changes of cost and weapon upgrades, not more.

And if you would add to this the PE starting 5 men squad for cheaper cost (after upgrade normal 6 men squad for the build cost of a 5 men squad; eg heavy assault squad approx 375-380 MP with 5 men at first, later 6) you would save a shitmount of res for every unit you build which then is also supporting the Luftwaffe infantry.

Just try to see that full picture and the new possibilites players would get. And these possibilties would not just exist in theory (like the doc simply has that and that stuff) but also effectively since the cost of units are not skyhigh.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

It still seem to me that the Luft infantry would actually received a nerf...Cheaper in terms of MP but less combat efficiency. Sure, you can boost that with weapon upgrades but that costs resources again so the "lower cost" is in the end not that much true. It is arguable if 100MP is more or less than 100 munition (depends on map, resource management and other stuff) but in any rate MP is always generated faster than ammo. The MP40s for reg 5 as default...again, FG42 is kind of effective (or at least above-average) at any range while MP40s are pure close range, this completely changes the purpose of the squad. Scoped G43s...how much of a difference would two of these make? Sure, it is some efficiency boost without a question but would it be worth spending the ammo?

I think that in the end people mostly go with tactics "I build what is most cost-effective and least complicated to use" if it is made the way you say, I think it will be easier and still maybe cheaper to use normal Assault grenadiers and Reg 5 and Gebirgs would only be used by a few people.

Eldrak1911

Post by Eldrak1911 »

I think it will be easier and still maybe cheaper to use normal Assault grenadiers and Reg 5 and Gebirgs would only be used by a few people.
+1
Hey, i'm a bat, man !

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

MarKr wrote:It still seem to me that the Luft infantry would actually received a nerf...Cheaper in terms of MP but less combat efficiency. Sure, you can boost that with weapon upgrades but that costs resources again so the "lower cost" is in the end not that much true. It is arguable if 100MP is more or less than 100 munition (depends on map, resource management and other stuff) but in any rate MP is always generated faster than ammo. The MP40s for reg 5 as default...again, FG42 is kind of effective (or at least above-average) at any range while MP40s are pure close range, this completely changes the purpose of the squad. Scoped G43s...how much of a difference would two of these make? Sure, it is some efficiency boost without a question but would it be worth spending the ammo?

I think that in the end people mostly go with tactics "I build what is most cost-effective and least complicated to use" if it is made the way you say, I think it will be easier and still maybe cheaper to use normal Assault grenadiers and Reg 5 and Gebirgs would only be used by a few people.

Generally for units i would say that it is firstly important to get them. So that you have at least a unit on the field. Further cost boost also the efficency. But people can decide how much efficency they need for a specific unit. And most of the time this is going well. In case of a unit loss the cost arent that high at first. When a shell whipes an entire squad then it doesnt matter if you had them with or without good expensive weapon. In this case its firstly important to at least get a new unit that can carry on the battle even though not as effective as the one that got lose but they will be later.

Also from my experience i do give the best and more equipment to those units who "earned it". Like when i have 3 volks squads i do check which one has highest vet or most kills. That squad gets then further "investments" as those becoming more worth their cost. same i do in inf and BK doc. Those rangers or whatever who already are the best with most kills/vet do get the equipment or more equipment. That way i have lots of relatively low effective squads but those who got vet get better weapons and thus becoming a lot more effective. And if i have the res i do upgrade all of them.

Also MP is not always more common than ammo. MP is a must have. No MP, no further units, no reinforcment etc. Also MP rate drops due to upkeep, ammo does not. You can also keep on fighting without using ammo at all (when i am using for example volks with lmg or ss squad with two lmg i do not need any ammo so far to score many kills). MP behaves different here.

And well, two scoped G43 do boost by a lot. Add two of them to Pgren and the damage output is almost doubled. The scopped also have double the accuracy at long range as the standard G43.

The gebirgs would be kind of SS squad just that they cost 100 MP less, lmg at default and no Hauptsturmführer required to call them. Also additionally with leig 18 call in option and Panzerfaust.

Or keep the 6 scopped G43 and make the lmg as upgrade. I do belive thats more powerfull to have them with 6 scopped G43 instead with lmg at default.

What about double LMG upgrade option to be kind of ultimate ranged unit?

and no... alone the fact that they have a Panzerfuast 100 with decent range makes them preferable over assault grens which - most of the time- are used as assault stg units anyway. The assault squad is may assault unit, normal Pgrens and SS squad my ranged units staying together with hauptsturmführer.

The reg 5 would be prefered for assaults due to ambush ability, assault ability, VT and the ability to reinforce right where they are to make longer lasting assaults and what else.

The Gebirgs would be prefered over normal gren as range unit due to panzerfaust, ambush and better weapons and far higher survivability.

Also i am talking all the time about combined arms. So its more or less "intended" that luft forces working together with normal PE units instead being alone.

And you have to consider the luft change along with PE inf changes. The build cost drops are massive. 40-160 MP spared per squad. On the long hand its a massive cost reduction. The greatest you might have seen in entire BK history.

I think the problem is that many do think stuff too "isolated". Like... "I spare 100 MP for that squad". But put everything together, all cost drops (like the 5 men starting that on long term saves massive ammount of res). And the more units you have the less men and units you actually lose in an attack as you are able to kill enemie forces even faster and more continuously.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Yep, last post of Hawks is absolutely true, doesnt matter how powerfull is your Luft inf is, when enemy can get sherman + rifles for the same price paratroopers are gonna loose, not to mention that boosts provided by supply yard makes it evem more extreme. I would like to see 450mp reg.5 with mp40 by default, stg44 and fg42 will be upgradable (buff fg42 a bit pls, it was the best weapon of war, but in BK stg44 is more preferable because of longer bursts and better perfomance on close range) + give them commando smoke maybe, will be pretty cool assault unit with unique set of abilities.

Eldrak1911

Post by Eldrak1911 »

@ Sukin : For the FG42, not exactly > Worldguns.ru

In fact, it was too light/weak to be used in a full auto mode. That's why the stg44 was prefered.
Hey, i'm a bat, man !

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Eldrak1911 wrote:@ Sukin : For the FG42, not exactly > Worldguns.ru

In fact, it was too light/weak to be used in a full auto mode. That's why the stg44 was prefered.

The FG42 was the first multipurpose weapon ever build and the most advanced one.

It could not just switch between full and semi auto, it also had a "special" mode that allowed quite accurate shooting in semi auto use. Had something to do with the "Verschlussblock" (the main part of a weapon). In german it could fire "aufschießend" and "zuschießend". I dont know how to explain in english.

The purpose of that weapon was that every solider (rifle men, lmg crew, sniper) used all the same weapon which would have made airborne operations much easier as some weapon boxes got lost or which dropped somewhere where soldiers had access to.

And thats why the STG actually "replaced" the Fg42. As after creta mission airborne operations were cancelled and forbid there was no need for such a multipurpose weapon.

The FG42 is being still produced nowdays in tghe USA (for weapn freaks) and some say it can compete even with weapons nowadays.

The STG was better as assault rifle because it was purely an assault rifle. the Fg42 was rifle, assault rifle, sniper rifle and lmg at the same time. Not as good in each aspect as "real" rifles, assault rifles and lmgs but the fact it could fill every role was what made it so good.

But the game "doesnt know" different modes for a single weapon. A soldier with FG42 would never fire full auto mode (5 rounds in 0.5 seconds) at distant range but here the game engine is simply limited. Basically the squad would switch from semi fire mode in distant combat with high accuracy to "lmg" mode when shooting from cover at many targets in the open to full auto bursts during attacks and in close combat.

But how to make it like this in game?

I would actually buff the damage of the Fg42 slightly (damage per bullet), especially when it would become an 75 ammo expenive upgrade.

And you are right that the stg "replaced" the Fg42. It was much cheaper to build and since airborne operations were not planned there was also no more reason for the production of the expensive multipurpose FG42.

So i think giving 2x 75 ammo FG42 upgrades and 2x2 50 ammo STG upgrade while squad drops with MP40 wouldnt be bad. The squad would be in any case a very deadly unit at close range and good attackers.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=957
As the discussion about the Luft doc and the fallschirmjägers is going on and currently and after checking the Fg42 in corsix in order to know what it actually is and what it is supposed to be i do think that, in case we make the FG42 being as upgrade, that it should be possible to equipe the entire squad with them and not just two. The FG42 makes only really sense in a squad when everybody has them. Just two of them in a squad while others get STG or MPi doesnt really makes the squad better for ranged combat. In that case it would be preferable to have just stgs and MP40.
So even if they would become an upgrade it should be possible to upgrade the entire squad.

Eldrak1911

Post by Eldrak1911 »

@ Hawks : If we believe wikipedia at this subject :

aufschießend refer to a Closed Bolt

zuschießend refer to an Opened Bolt

So, basicaly, a FG42 was able to fire whatever was the position of its bolt (Forward or Backward). Just like the...Johnson machine gun !, if you want an other example of mix action weapon.

As the discussion about the Luft doc and the fallschirmjägers is going on and currently and after checking the Fg42 in corsix in order to know what it actually is and what it is supposed to be i do think that, in case we make the FG42 being as upgrade, that it should be possible to equipe the entire squad with them and not just two. The FG42 makes only really sense in a squad when everybody has them. Just two of them in a squad while others get STG or MPi doesnt really makes the squad better for ranged combat. In that case it would be preferable to have just stgs and MP40.
So even if they would become an upgrade it should be possible to upgrade the entire squad.
Is that possible to make, technicaly ?
Hey, i'm a bat, man !