Are mortars basebombing?

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.

Are the use of mortars in a base considered basebombing?

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 23

kwok
Team Member

Re: Are mortars basebombing?

Post by kwok »

I haven't played big maps so much, except for a lot of 1v1's on 4v4 maps with the same person, babysealbatter. But I think larger maps only stall the same type of behavior. Haven't tested yet though. For the most part on a larger map in 1v1's, we never basebomb because it truly becomes too costly when you are trying to control a lot of map area. It's too easy to do precision strikes at artillery batteries. But, this is on very extreme scenarios (1v1 on 4v4).
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

@kwok: I guess that the simpliest way would be either to forbid basebombing completely and then you don't have to deal with this anymore or simply say e.g. "OK, on Wolfheze there are (don't know how many so e.g.) 25 sectors, out of those 6 are base sectors which leaves you with 19 capturable sectors so if your team owns (insert number here) sectors , basebombing is allowed."

If everybody tells you here their personal rules about basebombing and you will try to make some system based on the "best" of what people tell you, it will be very complicated and people might break the rule just because they misunderstand it. In this case I guess that the simplier the rule the better off you are. ;)

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Haha yeah... I want to get down to the simplest rule possible... But even saying "no basebombing completely" is tricky. Just shown in the poll, some people say mortars count, most say they don't. It's like taking a poll among cats. Everyone just does their own thing.
And I'm going to try my best to make it the best for others because the way I see it is it is "their" tournament. If i were to hold MY tournament then no one would join LOL. It'd be 1v1's on Goodwood all day.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

kwok wrote:It's like taking a poll among cats. Everyone just does their own thing.

Hahaha xD

I think it's a good idea to establish a referee who would be the person to appeal to when someone would have a basebomb or other problem. Everybody would agree to listen to his judgement.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

And I'm going to try my best to make it the best for others because the way I see it is it is "their" tournament.
Yeah, I understand that but I'd say that you'll do your best and in the end you'll get a lot of "Oh, this rule sucks!" ... You can never please everyone and the more you try to go with what the people want the more of "why his rule was applied and mine wasn't" you get. However your aim to make it as comfortable as possible for everyone is admirable :).

I think it's a good idea to establish a referee who would be the person to appeal to when someone would have a basebomb or other problem.
I don't envy the referee...they're gonna have a lot of trash on their plates :D

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

LOL. Tournament news: referee sign ups are open. Send application along with legal last will.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

Oh comon :D. It's just a game, and we are grown-ups.
MarKr wrote:
I don't envy the referee...they're gonna have a lot of trash on their plates

It should be someone who is considered a good, nice, long-time player that everyone like and agree with...

Ok, u know, it's a stupid idea...

drivebyhobo

Post by drivebyhobo »

Basebombing is not a real problem. It's your own fault for not doing anything to stop that unit. It's like a Brit player complaining that his simcity emplacements got ruined by a PE mortar halftrack. If you didn't want that to happen you should have done something. Half the time german players are so single-mindedly focused on getting a heavy tank they refuse to acknowledge that their base is getting shelled.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Problem for most people is that games can end from more than half way across the map. Sometimes, one base arty can reach the other base (ex. Duclaire). Not only that, but arty shells are so powerful and base buildings are so fragile, one barrage is enough sometimes to wipe out more than half a base. It is skill-less and encourages optimized playing instead of creative strategy and tactics.

Personally, I don't care about base arty as much because I play 1v1s on 4v4 maps and it's not strategically worth basebombing. But most players don't like that way of playing and basebombing makes for a really boring and skill-less game. Try facing someone who focuses on basebombing, it's really frustrating what they can get away with. I had a game with captain frye who just suddenly decided mid game base bombing was okay as soon as he lost 90% of the map. He built a howitzer in his base and started taking out mine despite I eliminated nearly all his units and had complete control over the map. He got sour and thought I'll sneak a win by basebombing now. He almost did it too if I didn't calm down at how I was so dishonored. It took so much to "come back" from basebombing, the game lasted maybe 30min more than it should have. If he had done that from the beginning, I wouldn't have made it out because I wouldn't have the map control or resources to counter basebombing.

horodlbrodl

Post by horodlbrodl »

I use artillery (and mortars)

a) at the frontline. If that happens to be your base, well, your fault.

b) against emplacements. Should those happen to be in your base, well, definitely not my fault.

c) as counterartillery. If you use your base as hideout, well, you reap what you sow.

d) against AI. Just because.

e) to break a stalemate. I had a game once, that lasted for almost an hour and a half without anyone gaining an edge on the others and without any hope of progress for BOTH sides in the near future. So I focused on conquering a ledge close enough to the enemy base and then ended the game within 10 minutes with determined dynamite rain. Enemy had the chance to do the very same, but whined instead although they were the ones that from the beginning mixed up BK mod with a fu***** Verdún simulator.

MeatshieldNZ

Post by MeatshieldNZ »

kwok wrote:Haha yeah... I want to get down to the simplest rule possible... But even saying "no basebombing completely" is tricky. Just shown in the poll, some people say mortars count, most say they don't. It's like taking a poll among cats. Everyone just does their own thing.
And I'm going to try my best to make it the best for others because the way I see it is it is "their" tournament. If i were to hold MY tournament then no one would join LOL. It'd be 1v1's on Goodwood all day.

If you want a simple enforceable rule then maybe this will help, we have our own "house rule" when playing PvP

You cant attack the enemy base (or 1st brit Truck)unless you have captured an adjacent sector.
Only exception is if they are firing from their base, then you can counter barrage.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Yep, that's what this thread was for. Deciding the most well received "house rule" in the community to be used in a tournament format.

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

Well I wouldn't consider mortars to be basebombing, maybe excpet for the heavy ones from RA and SE.

Mortars have a very limited range, so if I can hit your base, it's your own fault. Also they don't deal to much damage to the buildings, so you still got time to react.

Otherwise I don't use base arty at all. Only exceptions: Enemy has arty in his base and fires with it or enemy builds emplacements in his base.

That's simply how me and Cyber do it.

I also kinda hate it when people are like:
"Oh you got no units outside your base. Now I can bomb you to the ground."
It's just about giving your enemy a fair chance to make a comeback until the very end. And if I just had to retreat to my base it's no wonder that I don't have any units outside my base.

My two cents ;)

Terence's Mouth

Post by Terence's Mouth »

If you bomb the base its always basebombing.