No votes
Villers Bocage
9%

Total votes: 11

kwok
Team Member

BKNC 2v2 Tournament (win prizes)

Post by kwok »

Hey guys. BKNC is working on planning a 2v2 tournament. There's still a lot in the air, but there are somethings we want to tell you and somethings we need help in.

First, as the subject suggests, there will be prizes given to first place winners of each skill bracket (see next paragraph). WOOO PRIZES! What will the prizes be? For now we're thinking along the lines of CoH2 DLC and possibly even expansions (Brit forces or western front). We'll see. Definitely not cash prizes though. Sorry. If we can get a better idea on the interest of this tournament, we might be able to make better prize offers. So go out and spread the word!
EDIT: A team will only be considered for the prize if they pay the optional tournament fee. The prize goes to the highest ranked team who has paid the fee. All money goes to funding the prizes. Leftover will either be donated to bkmod directly or used to fund the next Bknc event.

We want anyone to be able to participate and have fun in this tournament. So technically, we'll be holding 2 (possibly three, again we need to gauge the community interest) tournaments of different skill levels. We hope this will be a great way to engage newer places and grow the community.
There won't be anything to stop newer players from playing with the big boys and girls. But, we'd rather like it if we can keep bullies out from the noob bracket. So, here's a question we'd like to ask you if you have any thoughts: How do we keep the smurfs and dishonorable from sneaking into the noob bracket, ruining the fun, and stealing the prize? Comment or send a PM, it'd be really great to get some ideas.

Lastly, we just want to get an idea of what maps you guys like among the few we've narrowed down on this poll. This will be a tournament for you guys, so we want to try to cater the structure to your wants while pushing your limits as players. The result of the poll has only an advisory influence on the actual tournament, so don't be offended if the tournament structure doesn't seem to align with the poll. Poll closes Tuesday.

If you want to contribute in other ways to the organization of this tournament, PM me and shadowichi.
Last edited by kwok on 18 Sep 2015, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

JimQwilleran

Re: BKNC 2v2 Tournament (win prizes)

Post by JimQwilleran »

I am looking forward to it!

When can we declare our teams?
How many teams do you plan to take into consideration? I think that many players will be interested.
How would you solve the problem of picking side (axis, allies)? Would it be a match and a rematch for each pair of teams? What about only axis and only allies players? Or is everything going to be picked randomly: sides, maps, positions?
What about crashes, desynces?

We could make a thread with replays of each game + stats + infos + schedule + fixtures ^^
Last edited by JimQwilleran on 18 Sep 2015, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

We haven't "opened registrations" yet because we haven't established rules on tiers/smurf protection/etc yet. Hopefully soon when we got logistics down. But, in terms of team declaration, both players need to register (no "claiming" people. this is a free will tournament).

We will take all teams, no one will be left out. It's a question of how to divide the groups that is tougher. But, we need to gauge more interest. In fact, we're considering possibly doing a "big/small" tier to encourage a learning community. This means something like an experienced player will go in with a non experienced player. But, maybe for another tournament. We will see. Another reason why we aren't opening registrations yet.

In terms of picking sides, yes it will be a series of games where both teams have to play each side. The "matches" will force everyone to play at every angle so that it gives a fairer outcome. More details later, though. Our current thoughts on how it will play out are subject to change based on the over arching structure of the tournament. Can't grow leaves without solid roots and trunk.

Crashes/desyncs/dc's is a tough one. There are some drafts on protocols on those situations, and we'll probably release those to you guys later to be edited/amended because we know it get can somewhat tricky. But, one thing for sure is it will be very strict and with limited loopholes.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

kwok wrote:We haven't "opened registrations" yet because we haven't established rules on tiers/smurf protection/etc yet. Hopefully soon when we got logistics down. But, in terms of team declaration, both players need to register (no "claiming" people. this is a free will tournament).

I think we know our community well enough to know who is the big tier and who is in small tier. Anyway I suspect there is going to be a few times more players for the big tier as for the small one. Simply because new players do not feel too comfortable with their skills to play in tournament I think.

kwok wrote:But, we need to gauge more interest.
There is a steam group "Bk tournament" http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blitztour, Sukin is the admin there so you can ask him, not to mention regular Bk mod group.

kwok wrote:Crashes/desyncs/dc's is a tough one
We could possibly solve this by having someone watching the broadcast, being some kind of an overseer.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Well, apparently people can easily create new accounts or wipe their stats. Stuff like that.
In terms of encouraging new people to come, yeah they might be worried. But that's why we decided a tier system, so hopefully they'll participate. Maybe we can attach some sort of mentor aspect to it, or even advertise it as a way of finding mentors (BKNC plans to make a solid mentorship system at some point anyways). Anyways, it's supposed to be fun, not too competitive. The Big Boys can be idiots and get hardcore about it and the rest of us casuals will just watch, laugh, and learn.

Yeah, hope to make announcements in any way possible. I'll try to grab a hold of Sukin whenever he gets back from wherever he is.

That's a good idea, but it would need to be a volunteer thing. And it would add another coordination problem if we go all the way through with it. Say we have a ref for every screen, that means we'd need to coordinate a game for 8 people, 4 of them not even playing. Even still, it wouldn't be perfect because a player can just pull the plug on the router and it would be tough to determine if it was a "fair dc". Refs give room for subjectivity. I think it's worth trying an objective and strict system first before exploring subjective options.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

Anyway, I wish this project well. Dont let it die, keep us informed about all your ideas and the progress ;).

Of course I know already what team is going to win 8-)

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

I bet for Keks and Zombie as winners:P

Also all players can feel free to use SVT team speak server.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Sukin-kot (SVT) wrote:I bet for Keks and Zombie as winners:P

Also all players can feel free to use SVT team speak server.

we would be.

Illa and erich also might have chances in 2 vs 2 as team to be the winners.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Mr and Zadoff are also a good team btw.. however that I would then choose any of Red, Panzer, Commissar or probably even Conan to become my team mate; that's if I would ever decide to participate in this tournament at one point perhaps...

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Hawks, you can involve Dr. Zhivago to this deal, he still plays sometimes + can handle English quite good, you might become a good team.

Krieger Blitzer

I am wondering then who is that person of whom u r looking to play with as a team Sukin?! Well, I think it's too early anyways to speak about any kind of teams though... :)

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

What if the winners team already has CoH2? Would the prize be passed to 2nd place xD?
Sukin-kot (SVT) wrote:Hawks, you can involve Dr. Zhivago to this deal, he still plays sometimes + can handle English quite good, you might become a good team.
I thought that you, sukin, gonna play with Zhivago. Maybe you are preparing a surprise for us, u gonna bring an elite ultra pro mate from old bk ;D.

Warhawks97 wrote:Illa and erich also might have chances in 2 vs 2 as team to be the winners.

Thx :D, I bet your team is also going to be on the very top of the scoreboard ;). No matter who would be your mate ;P.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Well, im offski during next half an year, because studing abroad and have only shitty lap top. So i will not steal your first place:D

Erich

Post by Erich »

sukin doesnt need a mate to win this tournament.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I might've forgotten to mention a small tournament fee. It won't be much, maybe $2-3 max. I made an edit above. It is an optional fee to be considered for prizes. Prize goes to highest ranked paid-team.
Prizes are negotiable to an extent and there will be a selection of choices. But once prizes are finally decided then those will be the prizes. I'll do another poll on what prizes should be, but the higher the expected attendance, the better I can budget prizes. So spread the word, it only gets better. If you don't like the prizes, just don't pay the fee. You can still compete for glory.

By the way guys, I have everyone two votes on the poll.

@sukin would you mind if we made an announcement on your group about this tournament?

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Why are you even asking:D Not at all.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Awesome! Thanks, Sukin. Can it be a "pop up" announcement? I think only admin can make those. I can write something and would you be able to just copy-paste the notice for people? Sorry it's a bit of work, but it'd be a sure way that people at least see it.

DaŇjeL_SK

Post by DaŇjeL_SK »

Kwok, are u preparing any kind of stream of this tournament ? Will be that possible ? ... I think many players will watch thoose matches.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Steam allows streams if players are willing to let players watch. It will be more so up to the players than me (as of now. Players might be required to stream if we think it's necessary to have some form of referree'ing). But, players will definitely be required to submit replays. Players unwilling to do so will be disqualified. I will upload all the replays and probably find people to commentate them as a future BKNC project. So the matches might not be live, but it will be just as and even better with the replays.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

@Kwok

I gave you moderator rights there, so you can make an announcement by yourself.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

You are the best, Sukin.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Hey Sukin. Doesn't look like I have powers to post announcements. I left comments and discussions, but do you think you can give me rights to do an announcement?

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

Sukin-kot (SVT) wrote:I bet for Keks and Zombie as winners:P

Haha thx xD Gonna do our best :D

JimQwilleran wrote:What if the winners team already has CoH2? Would the prize be passed to 2nd place xD?

Well the price would be afaik a DLC, and there are simply hundreds of it for CoH2, so no chance that you won't get it XD

Regarding streams:

The thing I "fear" is, that people could watch streams, and then tell other ones where their untis are standing, what they've built etc.
This is something that simply can't be controlled, only by the players itself. I assure you that I won't do it, if you believe me or not is your choice xD
But to be perfectly honest, I wil only let people stream from who I know that they wouldn't do it.
That's not because I desperately would want to win the prize, it's simply because this would be frustrating, break the game rules, etc etc etc.
Also if someone watches my opponent's stream and writes me PMs where his units are (without me asking for it of course) I will not hesitate to post it in here and vote for a ban of this particular player.
I just want to ensure that the highest possible amount of fair play is given.

My idea on this would be:

After all teams and rules are set up, make a post in the replay section in which every single replay of the tournament is stored. This gives other people who can't watch the stream also the possibility to watch every game, also it would be quite nice or documentation reasons :D

Btw, another reason why I maybe won't stream:
In some games the steam streaming causes heavy lagging, for CoH it's mostly OK, but sometimes especially on bigger maps it's laggy as fuck.

SO if I deny your request, don't be pissed, please :D

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

I'll just bump it so it's on the top again and seen by more players.

Krieger Blitzer

Nice, good to see that Wolf has now hanged this one up to become on the top! :)