Requirements

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Kasbah

Requirements

Post by Kasbah »

Hi,

What are the system requirements needed to play on XL maps and high settings fluently? I have an average 58-59 fps on performance test and there is no way to play them. Even with 225 popcap I always get 20-30 seconds lag (if not more)

Thx

MarKr
Team Member

Re: Requirements

Post by MarKr »

The problem is that the game engine is so messy that huge maps simply lag no matter what your PC specs are. It is most notable when playing aginst AI - they have more resources than real players and they spam units like there's no tomorrow and the engine needs to handle movement/behavior of every unit on the entire map which is very demanding...you can notice that if you manage to kill a huge blob the game runs "smoother" for a short time (before the AI replaces the units with new ones).

CoH eats a lot from your proccessor performance but it cannot take advantage of multicore proccessors (like most games) meaning it only uses one core. So people usually wonder "I've got super cool quad-core why the hell CoH lags?" Simple answer is that the game is quite badly optimalized so even PC which should be able to run it without lag, lags anyway :/.

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

Thanks for your kind answer Markr.
I indeed notice what you say when playing against AI. But shouldn't there be a difference when choosing less popcap? I remember a couple of years ago I was quite capable of playing, for example, 2-3 vs 4 AI Rhine, but since one or two years it's simply not possible. Also, yesterday I tried 3 times to play this map, the others players said their game was fluent, but not mine

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Well, in that case there might be something wrong with your gear...what specs does your PC/laptop have?

On the old forum there was a topic about possible steps to try in order to increase FPS.

I don't remember them all but:
1) People reported quite a drop of FPS in case they had FRAPS installed - it installs some of its components into thegraphic card memory and in some cases cause performance issues ingames (CoH is the case). If you have FRAPS installed, uninstalling it (not just turning it off but full uninstall) might help.

2) Don't use Ultra settings in the game (DX10 effects) - the came is badly optimalized and the performance drops (but you won't be able to tell the difference between High and Ultra anyway)

3) Some people reported FPS increse after turning off automatic replay recording (suppoesedly constant recording of the gameplay lowers the performance) - this is done by making the replay file "for reading only" (you can google how to do that). For some reason this will disable your World Builder too so if you're into map making, this is not the best solution.

4) Disabling Windows "Prefetch" and "Superfetch" services might increase the FPS (for me it increased the FPS in the game test by 10 on average - though, as you found out yourself, the ingame test is somewhat unreliable) - anyway you can google how to disable them (it should cause no Windows performance issues, but in case it does, you can enable the service any time)

5) If possible, don't play maps with rainy weather (incredible FPS eater) :D.

I cannot guarantee to you that it will help, but some people reported that it helped them so you might give it a shot...

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

Thx Markr.

Well, I have Core 2 Quad q8300, 2.50 ghz, Geforce gt 130, 4b of ram and 300 megas internet connection... It's absolutely not the top end but until 1-2 years ago I was very capable of playing Rhine. I tried with other XL maps and the problem is not that bad though.

If I choose recommended settings, a couple of them are set on ultra and the fps are around 58, but just in case I choose "high" (with others in medium), and the fps stay around 58-59. Even if I set everything on medium/low, the problem persists, so it's not a pc problem nor an internet problem as I've tried in other places (not my home) and it's the same.

Nothing changes either if I play with a mate, two or three mates, without popcap, 250 popcap or 225 popcap. Game starts fluent but I later have 5 sec delay, 10, 20, 30 and finally over a minute.

Anyway, thx again and I'll try giving a shot to these suggestions I indeed remember from the old forum.
Last edited by Kasbah on 16 May 2015, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Jalis

Post by Jalis »

My two cents.

Because of my game style (not pvp) lag is a prb I have to deal with. I noticed 64 bits os with over 4 Go memory are more efficients.
The other things that is obvious is to put graphic setting on low/none instead high/ultra.
With that I can play most large maps 4 vs 4 from 4 humans and 4 AI AI to 1 human and 7. Their is some execption on somes maps : too rich ones (imagine a large 4 vs 4 Autry), or perhaps to detailled maps.

Graphic effect could have terrific impacts on the game. Incendiary bombardment by 210 mm nebelwefer for exemple.
Others are more insidious, like glowing effect around units Under a commander influence.

Anedocte : Once on a test map for test xp I needed victim unable to retiliate. I choose Wehrmacht lietnant, because it s pistol lack of range, and put a lot in an area they couldnt escape. The test map was impossible to play. I changed it for an equal numberof modified disarmed tommies. It worked fine.

Reason, imo could only be the "circular radio ondes" that constantly appear around the officer.

Usually my opinion is an old cpu at 3.4 GHz could give better results than a more modern one 4 cores a 2.5 ghz. A descent graphic card could help, as well as over 4 GO ram.
Due to lack of fund to buy ten computers with differents spec and OS to make rigorous test, considere this as an opinion not backed by objective tests.

PS : point in multi I suspect game act more or less like a convoy. Max speed of a convoy is max speed of the slowest ship. Summary : one old and Under powered computer in the team could lead to general slow down.

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

I also mostly play vs cpu so thanks for the info Jalis