Advice - how to play

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Gap

Advice - how to play

Post by Gap »

Hi all,

I am quite new to this game as well as mod so not very skillful player. I've played 4 games:

1. 3vs3, played as US. Germans were scorched earth and defence plus one of our teamate was afk. Enemy showed great skill - just camp and bombard - we lost.
2. I got a crash:)
3. 2vs2, again US. We lost again, my teammate resigned as first but I still hold a ground for a while. Anyway, it was a "succes" I didn't resign as the first:)
4. 2vs2, played as panzer elite. Enemy on my side was Brit who sent engineers to capture building on my half of the map - I was pinned from the beginning around my base. I was able to do some nice tactical moves and destroy few his tanks... But I must have resign again, there was no way.

All games I started with building barracks as first to gain more powerful inf. Is that correct?

Is there any manuals or gameplays how to play? Where can I learn some first moves? You know loses are not so funny... I don't want to get another lose.

Thank you for your advice:)

crimax

Re: Advice - how to play

Post by crimax »

Hi,
if you are new to this mod and your purpose is PvP, I suggest you to start to play skirmishes VS easy CPU.
You can play pvp also BUT only with your crew, you can build few units at start and test them.
Avoid to play PvP versus random players now, you need to learn game mechanics and your enemy can be more experienced than you, then you will get a defeat without learn nothing.

Step by step, there are no other ways.

Have fun.
Company Of Heroes is the 'water gun version' of Blitzkrieg Mod" (Heinz Wilhelm Guderian, 1939)

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

New players often forgot about units essential for bk mod. For example learn how to use Tank Hunters and Spotters (with important camouflage ability) from Barracks. As Crimax said start playing with easy CPU and try every doctrine of each faction to learn it's strengths. When u know basics u can learn some PvP skills like rushing, advanced micro etc. Glad to welcome you to our community by the way ;).

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Gap wrote:Hi all,

I am quite new to this game as well as mod so not very skillful player. I've played 4 games:

1. 3vs3, played as US. Germans were scorched earth and defence plus one of our teamate was afk. Enemy showed great skill - just camp and bombard - we lost.
2. I got a crash:)
3. 2vs2, again US. We lost again, my teammate resigned as first but I still hold a ground for a while. Anyway, it was a "succes" I didn't resign as the first:)
4. 2vs2, played as panzer elite. Enemy on my side was Brit who sent engineers to capture building on my half of the map - I was pinned from the beginning around my base. I was able to do some nice tactical moves and destroy few his tanks... But I must have resign again, there was no way.

All games I started with building barracks as first to gain more powerful inf. Is that correct?

Is there any manuals or gameplays how to play? Where can I learn some first moves? You know loses are not so funny... I don't want to get another lose.

Thank you for your advice:)

1. Yeah.... thats nothing special and thats how axis win most of the time.
3. Vs brits in 2 vs 2 i like Luftwaffe or SE with sniper. Grens+schwimmwagen+pak+scout vehicle should be good for start while a krad caps all the territory. If you manage to kill this first CW sapper squad the CW player may get in trouble as he cant get mortars or any other emplacment. After that get 50 mm paks, 28 mm and mortar HT to fight the early recce vehicle and cw emplacments.

In pvp start with axis. It requires less intensive micro and in late game you need to controle just a few units so far. You have also more arty available if you find no other tactical ways to fight defenses.

Play allis only with a mate you know. As allied you must play as team and units are very doctrine specific. Some docs arent really good to combine as not all have heavy tankbusters, good inf or arty. So if you think you need arty you must choose arty doc or inf doc. If you need tanks you need armor doc. Effective defenses then you need RE and so on. So docs on allied side are less versatile and thus you should or must play as team with your mate and help each other. In 2 vs 2 i prefer for example Inf doc+ armor doc as allied. Maybe also RAF/AB and inf but you wont have good tanks then.

Also good vs brits are luftwaffe SD2 Mines/bombs. The brits have to pay 315 for one sapper squad and if you manage to kill one or two of them the brits have nothing really to counter and defend themself against SD2. OP ammo points, hunt down sappers and cluster map with sd2.... the brits player will take insane casaulties. Use them as minefield or drop them on CW inf that is currently in combat (and maybe suppressed).
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Gap

Post by Gap »

Thank you all for the replies.

There is another point - it isalmost imposible to find any map with free german slot:)) Everybody wants to play germans:)

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Gap wrote:Thank you all for the replies.

There is another point - it isalmost imposible to find any map with free german slot:)) Everybody wants to play germans:)

xD..... yeah... well known prob oO. I am sometimes waiting up to 4 hours on axis side to get some allis and unless they are the best (allied) players in game (sukin-kot, witheloki, Shadowichi, impulse and cybercombie) all the waiting was for nothing and the game makes me falling asleep. Recent days i played 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3 with very new players on axis side at rails and metal and reversed defense against 2 and 3 average allied player and i tought it could be a nice game but it wasnt. In that 3 vs 3 they choosed double RE doc (xD) but when we stopped their push and started counterattacks they had nothing to push us back again.

Currently there are almost only axis teams out there. They often pick 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 maps and set HR. The only good allied team is SVT but i see only one playing currently.

edit: Thing is axis will always be easier to play as they beat most enemies in simple 1 vs 1 engagments while allies are supposed to play a bit more tricky and engaging axis units not directly in 1 vs 1. Thats OK so far and realistic (no allied simply drove towards an axis heavy tank to kill it) but sometimes its too exaggerative. Axis in reality also had to use kind of tactic to be successfull and did not run stupdily straight towards mgs. But in game that happens too often. Two vet 2-3 stormtooper squads easily overrun HMG´s in frontal assaults. A blobb of 2 82nd AB and 3 101st AB run as blobb into MG42 and 4-5 are instantly dead^^. Things like this. There are some weapon values in game which are worse as they had been in reality. I am not sure if you noticed it already but a top mounted MG42 shreds inf much faster than a top mounted cal 50´s. Alright, you may think that an MG42 shots 1500 rounds per min and a cal 50 just 600 and thats given in BK but at the same time a cal 50 bullet would be a way more devastating than an mg42 round but thats not really the case in BK and suddenly the damage output in a second isnt just like 25% higher for an mg42 due to rof, it is up to 3 times higher. Burst takes longer for most allied weapons and thus cycle/burst damage is about the same but it doesnt "fix" the problem that most allied weapons never really finish their bursts as the units have to retreat has the combined damage output of an combined axis army in one second is soo many times higher that allis are crushed before any finished any burst. Due to such things its easier to play axis as units shred enemies much faster within a few seconds and less units must get moved less often and the required micro is less intenive then and most units can simply stay right at place and shredding enemies.

That the ww2 was a quality vs quantity war is not a huge secret and axis had the most powerfullt tanks (though the biggest and many techincal problems). But in some points its simply a bit exaggerated and unneccessary "quantity trash" and "quality" added.

esspecially the infantry engagments shouldnt be so extremly "quantity vs quality" as a human is a human and a rifle/Mg bullet simply a bullet and at that time rifle and lmg bullets had been equal so far for all factions in ww2. Though axis soldiers have often more HP than counterpart units and axis rifle bullets and mg bullets more damage than an allied bullet with pretty much same calibre. These are things which i consider as unneccessary quality vs quantity and thus high cost for one side and huge micro gameplay on the other side and inf fights could become a lot more tactical with less huge build cost differences. And instead making stuff like lmg42 or stgs expensive quality weapons they could show one of their greatest advantages: easy production. Would mean actually that US infantry would have better standard equipment with their M1 which are semi automatic weapons and which had been simply the future at that time. The bolt action accuracy advantage was not so important anymore as in ww1 because at the new standard ranges of infatry engagments of ww2 these advantage played a minor role. For BK it would mean that US equiped units would win fights at short, medium and long range (not distant range) against axis counterpart units (assuming same cover) but thus being slightly more expensive or almost equal. At the other hand axis would have more and better upgrades like G43 (which makes them equal to M1 equiped units), STG´s (which would outperform M1 at short and medium range and about equal on long range) and lmg34 and 42´s to which US would have no real counterpart (M1919A6 was first "counterpart" to them but saw not huge action unlike the A4 version on tripod which sadly exist only once in BK). At the same time a lmg42 or 34 upgrade wouldnt cost (much) more than a BAR. But in BK we have again unneccessary quality vs quantity as a K98 bullet deals a way more damage than M1 garand bullet and accuracy on short and medium range is better for K98 although this "bolt action accuracy advanatge" shouldnt play a role here as it is actually only really important for snipers shooting targets with accurate shots at 500-1500 meters which standard inf didnt anymore (or only seldomly) in ww2 due to greater availability of MG´s, autocanons and other support stuff.

tell me if you or the others got my point :)

Gap

Post by Gap »

Sure I've got it (the point and whole text:D).

It is exactly what I've realized from the game, so far. I played as Germans in the game with crash and I really enjoyed it. We captured half of the map, building defensive structures while booming upgrades and units. Than US arrived with tanks, I mismanaged badly antitank teams and they were on a marvellous trip to our base from the left side of the map. However, after short resupply and killing US tanks with Luftwaffe airraids, I was able to counterattack and recapture what I'd lost and even capture more points, securing whole left side of the map. Then my mate (who was far more experienced than me) forced me to push further:D And then, crash, unfortunately. It was well-played game, I enjoyed it. Not like the others with... MG is stronger, Flak is stronger and hand guns are also stronger. I've not tried playing with tanks, all games were too short, but what I've seen from gameplays I suppose that would be the same case.

From my first post I've played only comstomps maps, because getting into pvp game resulted in two ways - either german side was full or I was kicked by german, because they were waiting for their friends:DD And I don't have definittely free hours for waiting:D

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Last time I checked, there were two 2vs2 lobbys full of allied players, so I guess its not that one sided all the time...
Create your own lobby and wait, in "prime time" you probably won't have to wait long at all.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Oh ya Gap... I guess I remember that once u actually joined a game which I were inside but the host instantly kicked u, as I didn't even get the enough time to click ur name in order to see ur stats! :P We were waiting for some certain mates to join us ^^

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Wolf wrote:Last time I checked, there were two 2vs2 lobbys full of allied players, so I guess its not that one sided all the time...
Create your own lobby and wait, in "prime time" you probably won't have to wait long at all.

yeah... it are always the same which sit on allied side and often in order to get a game going and to wait not so long. Its sukin, erich, designfriemel, cyberzombie, loki sometimes, terence and shadowichigo (which is the only "allis only player" or rather "RAF only player" which i know and met) and me.... also sometimes crimax but rather seldomly. I recently got a game as axis against some which tried to play allis and they had just as many losses than wins as allied which is already a wonder for random players (i have several hundred screenshots of players stats saved and it can be called really wonder to find such players). However, and altough i played with total newbies (which for example went on to build a bunker even when being under fire of a jeep and which resulted in loss of entire pio squad! -.-) i almost felt asleep playing with SE. 37 mm pak, schimmwagen and scout vehicle and for a long time there wasnt much my opponents could do. The game was a really boring one and we instantly got several paks and vehicles and then we started bombing arround with neblers. All our enemies could do was to fire some salvos of calliope jeeps killing some single soliders.