5.2.6 feedback (some bug reports too)

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Leenday

5.2.6 feedback (some bug reports too)

Post by Leenday »

If a Tank Commander is in a vehicle, any damage to a vehicle is announced as "Infantry under attack!"
If you select Armor Command Truck after you've selected Field Support Truck, the Firefly can not be put into production and Tank Commander appears in its place for some reason.
290mm AVRE shot damage is almost non-existant.
Bots are broken after this patch. Last patch I played was 5.2.3 and it was fine but 5.2.6 is broken for bots for sure. They are very weak, slow and they spam less efficiently prioritizing early game vehicles and support heavy weapons that are not useful.

I played only two games and I noticed this many bugs. Then I noticed how the immersive tooltips on the loading screen were replaced with ""humour"". Fix something with Alt-F4. LOL. Very funny. I see where devs put their time the most.

The path this serious and comprehensive mod is taking is just depressing. The worst thing is I always hated whine threads and now I am making one. I guess ""funny jokes"" were the last straw. Have to roll back to some other patch because I only play coop versus bots and in 5.2.6 they are no longer a threat.

MarKr
Team Member

Re: 5.2.6 feedback (some bug reports too)

Post by MarKr »

Leenday wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 22:12
If a Tank Commander is in a vehicle, any damage to a vehicle is announced as "Infantry under attack!"
Not a bug because the game detects the commander in the tank and if shots start landing close to him the game gives the announcement. Not much we can do about that but it is hardly a game-breaking thing.
Leenday wrote:
If you select Armor Command Truck after you've selected Field Support Truck, the Firefly can not be put into production and Tank Commander appears in its place for some reason.
I see where the problem is. Will be fixed next time.
Leenday wrote:
290mm AVRE shot damage is almost non-existant.
It is very existant but only against targets it is supposed to damage. It is an anti-defense unit so it deals solid damage to emplacements, bunkers, tanktraps etc. Damage vs infantry is relatively good too, if the infantry is caught in the AoE. It is not a tank killer so very little damage there is intentional.
Leenday wrote:
Bots are broken after this patch. Last patch I played was 5.2.3 and it was fine but 5.2.6 is broken for bots for sure. They are very weak, slow and they spam less efficiently prioritizing early game vehicles and support heavy weapons that are not useful.
We haven't touched any AI files for months. Unit changes can affect how AI uses units, I guess. Programing AI requires a different know-how than programing unit and ability performance and because the mod is focused on the PvP scene, I've never invested my time into learning the AI coding. That being said, we're not opposed to implementing AI improvements if someone makes and offers them for use so if you know how to code AI or wish to invest your time into learning that, feel free to make improvements and if you decide to share the outcome of your work, we'll be grateful.
Leenday wrote:
I played only two games and I noticed this many bugs. Then I noticed how the immersive tooltips on the loading screen were replaced with ""humour"". Fix something with Alt-F4. LOL. Very funny. I see where devs put their time the most.
I don't think you can actually see how much of our free time we've put into the mod. In my more than 5 years of working on this project I've put into it literally hundreds of hours - my Steam library says I have 797 hours "played" but I don't play matches, I start and run the game to test if the changes I've made work as intended (and about the first two years after I had joined the team, I used non-steam version so in total it is much more time). So if after so much time invested in it you found 3 "bugs" out of which two are not even bugs and the other one isn't game-breaking, I consider it a pretty good result.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

I would argue about AVRE damage, Mark. Most of the arty units are effective against EVERYTHING. Why slow ass Churchill with a shooting range hardly more than 60 with has to be so shitty against the vehicles?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Because AVRE is not arty. It is pretty much what StuH/StuPa/105 Sherman is. Arty units have usually pretty crap armor and fire several shots indirectly, each shot having smaller AoE than AVRE and because the fire shot by shot, they deliver their full potential over time with a chance to miss some shots. And are only "effective against everything" if you extend the sentence to "effective against everything if they hit directly". They are usually effective against infantry as long as they get caught in AoE but not so much against tanks and most of them have damage penalties against defenses (trenches, bunkers, tank traps...).

AVRE has much smaller range, fires a single shot that has increased damage against defenses and a higher chance to just "one shot" them. Apart from that, if AVRE acted as a normal arty, it would make no sense to have the 95mm Churchill that is literally a mobile indirect arty unit - they would be identical in function.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Leenday wrote:
While it's true that 5.2.5 was much cleaner than 5.2.6 yet i wouldn't mock the hard work devs put into this mod like that.. remember the game is too old with glitchy engine, and don't forget this MOD is free.

====================================

Since 105 Sherman was mentioned.. i hope this unit could turn its turret 360 degrees btw.
And i think AVRE is fine in my opinion, just like SturmTiger which only hurts emplacements too.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

About the ironic and sarcastic comments on the loading screen, well, i had to laugh about them, esspecially the "RNG recalculator Alt+F4".

But for the game as such i wouldnt keep them and return back to the old Tips for unit usage.
One sentence that should always show up in red underlined markings is a sentence that points out the importance of the supply yard. The Majority of players does not know anything about it.

I am not saying devs are working hard on the actual game. But for new players these sarcastic sentences doesnt really make the game look "professional".

So perhaps we better return to tips and advises during the loading screen.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Leenday

Post by Leenday »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 15:27
5.2.5 was much cleaner than 5.2.6
Warhawks97 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 15:51
these sarcastic sentences dont really make the game look "professional"
Basically these were the things I've come up with in the opening post. I guess I'm just bad with good wording. Good thing you guys caught the point.

The thing is it is a free product. I am free to decide if I'm gonna play it too. Am I allowed to complain that much? Not really. So I decided to make a small post in the general closer to the devs without crying out loud on steam and everywhere else.

I was always following every update and thoroughly reading every patchnote just as it was the real esports and stuff. Now with the seriousness and bots dead I can catch up no more. Especially with the bots dead I have to roll back and it's a reality and no longer a threat from steam crybabies or whatever people mentioning 4.0 every single time. The whole point is I actually have to roll back and it is sad.

Now for the small talk. I never implied I wanted to oneshot armored vehicles with AVRE. I didn't test it 500 times but with 5 shots I took I guess AVRE has a hard time dealing even with infantry. It costs less and cools down faster now too but I'd better wait and pay for something good as the shots just don't feel good even if they are economically valuable.

MenciusMoldbug

Post by MenciusMoldbug »

Me and MarKr a long time ago had a discussion in my churchill thread about what to do with the AVRE. I said it should be cheap, you should be allowed to build more than 1, and it should have short range and deal massive damage to anything it hits directly. I still believe in that idea because I liked men of war AVRE's in vanilla and also in some mods where it could destroy a MAUS if it just hit between the turret and chassis. Always found that cool, the little churchill that could.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Leenday wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 02:20

Basically these were the things I've come up with in the opening post. I guess I'm just bad with good wording. Good thing you guys caught the point.

The thing is it is a free product. I am free to decide if I'm gonna play it too. Am I allowed to complain that much? Not really. So I decided to make a small post in the general closer to the devs without crying out loud on steam and everywhere else.

I was always following every update and thoroughly reading every patchnote just as it was the real esports and stuff. Now with the seriousness and bots dead I can catch up no more. Especially with the bots dead I have to roll back and it's a reality and no longer a threat from steam crybabies or whatever people mentioning 4.0 every single time. The whole point is I actually have to roll back and it is sad.

Now for the small talk. I never implied I wanted to oneshot armored vehicles with AVRE. I didn't test it 500 times but with 5 shots I took I guess AVRE has a hard time dealing even with infantry. It costs less and cools down faster now too but I'd better wait and pay for something good as the shots just don't feel good even if they are economically valuable.
I just wanna stress out the mod is a PvP based mod as mentioned by the devs now for 100 times or even more.
From what ive read so far you seem to be a PvE player which isnt a bad thing, but it inflicts your balance requestment.
Stomping AI can be fun, but there are clearly things that wont work out in PvP and others wont in PvE.
The balance is completely different in both.
If you look at the 105,StuH,StuPa they all have a bad time even vs Inf. Its an anti emplacement unit which is the AVRE aswell.
Speaking about Arty isnt right because they aint Arty.
You get them vs groundhogs and not straight up every game like in vcoh.

I really really enjoyed these stupid hints in the loading gscreen and laughed really hard :lol: but if you compare it to the devs work in terms of work they put in etc. its straight up brazen in my opinion. I can see your point but matching it with the affort they put in this mod i can just disagree.

A good balance between funny and serious qutoes should be ideal.
So new players and even old players read them.
Nerf Mencius