The command vehicles/tanks aura ranges

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
MenciusMoldbug

The command vehicles/tanks aura ranges

Post by MenciusMoldbug »

Why are the aura ranges of the command tanks/vehicles so small? You practically have to be parking your command unit behind your tank to reap the benefits. These tanks and vehicles have radios and stuff, and I'm pretty sure the other tanks/vehicles they buff also have radios. They shouldn't need to be right next to another vehicle to buff them (because it brings up to me an image of a guy popping out of his command unit and giving hand signals to the other guys on what to do). Increase the range of the buffs to 60, so the command units can be positioned somewhere else, other than behind the tank they are buffing.

Also, I'd like the cromwell command tank to be standardized with the rest of the command vehicles; because its got a very precise buff that you need to know how it works in order to use it to its full potential (the range buff) but otherwise it doesn't do anything special. I rather the range buff be removed and it got the three aura abilities the other command vehicles have as the cromwell command tank always feels like the odd one left out (I mostly see this tank being kept in the far back doing absolutely nothing majority of the time by other players; so any changes to it would be welcome).

Warhawks97

Re: The command vehicles/tanks aura ranges

Post by Warhawks97 »

That issue is being brought up for years and has never been really addressed.

I agree with everything. Obviously.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

Agreed, I know the US and CW command vehicles provide decent buffs but I never really use them because they have to be so close to the fighting that they risk getting themselves killed. Not only that, the short range means that if you want to actually use them, you either have to trust that the AI follow mechanic won't be stupid and block your pathing during poking maneuvers, or you have to actively micro both, which is difficult to do when flanking with a tank due to the speed at which they are moving. While we're on the subject, the command vehicle manually selected bonuses should be permanent, only going away when another is chosen or the unit leaves the aura. The bonuses should be free. You're already paying for the unit and having to put in the micro to actively choose which bonus to give, paying each time doesn't really reward the player or prevent anything OP. Currently it's like you have to feed the tank commander a cookie every time you want him to give the nearby tanks an order, and he does so by shouting at them instead of using his radio.

As for the CW command tank specifically, I don't like needing to have my vehicles stuck in a static position for long periods of time (both literally with the firefly ability and figuratively in the sense that keeping both a combat tank and the command tank moving is too difficult for the reward to be worthwhile). If I wanted something static with a little more range than my tanks normally have, a 17 pdr emplacement is a far cheaper and more durable choice. Sure, it can't move, but at least I don't have build some shitty command tank for it to have a proper range advantage and I don't have to worry about it being instantly killed by one of Axis's many big guns.

Looking at the command tank just highlights the biggest issue with RE late-game armor. You technically have both heavy and a big gun, so technically you can compete with enemy armor late game, but you don't have anything that performs consistently well against enemy heavies and all your AT vehicles require a ton of micro (firefly needing command tank and static pos) or luck (using tulips or praying that your achilles one hits the heavy you're shooting at because 2 just isn't viable in practice). If you want to use armor for anything other than a quick win or to clear a maginot line, US and Axis late-game armor are infinitely more rewarding for the same level of micro. If that's intentional, then congrats, we've designed a doc that people will only ever choose when they get bored of US armor or they just really want to spam emplacements.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

i agree on the aura range, but i think Command Cromwell should keep the +5 range buff.. in fact, i think all command vechiles (Pz4 command tank for both PE & WH & the US command car) should provide the same range buff... i mean look at Europe at War Mod, the standard range for tanks there is 75 to 80 but they have much less accuracy.. as applying bigger range for tanks actually made it easier to adjust the range brackets.

I also think the sounds in Europe at War are more sexy.. have to admit Europe at War has beaten Bk Mod in those 2 categories (tank ranges & sounds) but the balance in EaW sucks hard.