Fun With Real Formations

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
SteamID_razelazz

Fun With Real Formations

Post by SteamID_razelazz »

I've been on the lookout for information on unit composition, as shown in the attached pictures (and not just limited to WW2). Then, in COHBK, I try to build up my forces according to that formation and use what little I know of the appropriate small unit tactics. It's kind of fun.

But I can't really find anything similar for Germans. Normally I wouldn't ask for help and try to find the info myself, but I'm currently studying abroad in China, where google is banned.

Also, does anyone do the same thing?
Attachments
1417581723199.jpg
1411463237379.gif

Wake

Re: Fun With Real Formations

Post by Wake »

SteamID_razelazz

Wake wrote:img
img
img

Thanks a lot. I had heard that the German infantry was based around the MG, but I always thought it was the mounted MG (i.e., with tripod). So I guess I should be buying that LMG upgrade for Volks and Grens instead of attaching the 3-man MG squad.

Now I kinda wish that Grenadiers came with MG42 unlocked by default.

Do you have anything on Sturmtruppen? I've tried finding them in the past, but the term always get entangled with the late Nazi SA paramilitary group. I remember reading something about "assault wedge" formations which had no rifles, only SMGs and a flamethrower (and lots of grenades).

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

in the german army the lmg was the most important factor in the squads. In combat situations just 30% of the deployed soldiers did shoot back really or did accurate shots while 70% did often nothing except being pinned to ground and awaiting friendly arty, airstrikes whatsoever. That way it was smart to have deploy an mg to each squad that suppresses enemie forces while the rest attempts to get arround the enemie to flank them or to get into grenade range. US gave firepower to single soliders with good semi rifles and 2 BAR´s to a squad but which was also usually used in single fire mode with the ability for full auto fire on distance if neccessary. Those had MG´s like the m1919 and 1917 on battlion level. First later they started giving real lmg´s to each squad with the M1919A6 which had a bipod.

Those stumtuppen had later in 44 often stgs. So for the game it would mean that squads would be larger and on US side two BAR´s and on axis one lmg which then would do suppressive fire but it would also mean that inf would spend a lot more time on prone.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

SteamID_razelazz

Does anyone have information on tank unit formations? Even better, motorized/mechanized units where tanks and infantry worked together?

I have nothing on the subject, at least for WW2.

Warhawks97 wrote:Those stumtuppen had later in 44 often stgs. So for the game it would mean that squads would be larger and on US side two BAR´s and on axis one lmg which then would do suppressive fire but it would also mean that inf would spend a lot more time on prone.

How exactly were StG44 distributed in infantry squads? Were they given to teamleaders and replaced the LMG when it wasn't available?

Pretty sure they simply didn't have enough for everyone. I know the Wehrmacht wanted to replaced the K98 with the G41 or G43 as the standard rifle around , so what role exactly did the StG44 fulfill? Besides being a great weapon, of course.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

STG was given to different units and all wanted it but the number was never sufficient to equip all. In the last two years of the war axis units had often been under strenght and had not the weapons they should have. There had been sturmtruppen in the ardennes using the stgs but also squad leaders had them sometimes.

STG is a funny story. Actually Hitler forbid to build such a weapon and he said that a soldier must be able to kill enemies at 1-km like in ww2 and thus they kept the k98. Despite hitlers opinion the army gave the stg in order and named it MPis and not sturmgewehr. Hitlers only wanted rifles, mgs and MPis but no Sturmgewehre and so hitler accpeted the production of the MPi 43 thinking its a replacment for MP40. When first units received these "MPis" they requested more and asked hitler when they will get more of These Sturmgewehre. Hitler raged when he heared of these Sturmgwehre and wanted to see them. When he saw these STG´s and their performence he was suddenly completely amazed and excited of these weapon and named it officially sturmgewehr. But less then 500.000 had been build from end 43 till end of war. Also a similiar ammount of G43. The US army was the only one able to equip every single soldier with (semi) Automatic weapons.
Build more AA Walderschmidt