Does the unit type matter when recrewing?

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
winterflaw

Does the unit type matter when recrewing?

Post by winterflaw »

When a weapon team is lost, the weapon sometimes remains on the ground and can be recrewed.

Similarly, when a building is decrewed, but the building remains, it can be recrewed.

Does it make a difference which type of unit recrews the weapon?

If I'm Wehr, I could have Pios, VG, Grenadiers.

In combat terms, Grenadiers are best.

But does it make a difference for weapon recrewing?

MarKr
Team Member

Re: Does the unit type matter when recrewing?

Post by MarKr »

The gun has its own stats so the crew type does not affect the performance of the weapon. However the crew is always 2 people operating the gun and 1 (or more) "guarding". The crew keeps their weapons and stats such as "armor" type, HP or any bonuses they would have so if you recrew a HMG with WM pioneers, they will die easier than if you recrew it with Fallshirms. Also Fallshirms will have their defensive bonus in cover (even more harder to kill them) and there will be one dude operating the MG and the other two will keep their FG42 and shoot at targets so overall damage output of the "Fallshirm HMG" squad would be higher than "Pios HMG" squad.

On the other hand the soldiers also keep their reinforcement costs, so the "Pios HMG" squad will be cheaper to reinforce than Fallshirms.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

Thankyou, MarKr.

An *excellent* answer. Clear and concise.

However, there is one matter omitted - that of buildings.

From what you've said, I guess the building crew health will be affected, but that's all?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Yes, you are right. Emplacement crews still keep their HP and "armor" type but they have no visible "guards" so their weapons don't matter and they cannot reinforce so their reinforcement costs don't matter either. Only thing I can think of is that e.g. AT guns still provide cover (you don't see the green symbol above the soldiers in emplacement, but the gun provides cover) this means that if the crew infantry has some benefit from cover such as the Fallshirms or Def doc infantry after unlock, they will receive the bonus too (I think the defense bonus indicator is visible above them) which means that in some cases they could survive easier too. However emplacements can be decrewed by two ways - you actually hit and kill the soldiers (in this case the soldiers die "one by one") or by triggering a critical hit which kills all crew at once. Defense bonuses can help you in the first case but will not help in the case of the critical hit.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

But this is big - it means you should make a squad of high quality troops, fight them till they are experienced and so have lots of bonuses, then use them and them alone to recrew buildings and weapons.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

One more question - the aura bonuses from officers.

If an inf unit is holding those bonuses when they recrew a building, are they retained when the officer moves away?

Or do the bonuses stop having an effect once the men are in the building?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Veterancy its bonuses are applied from the squad to the soldiers inside the squad, this means that if a soldier leaves a squad (in this case recrews a weapon), he loses the veterancy bonuses he had in the squad he left.

And Aura bonuses are appied only when the commanding unit is in reach, so no retaining. I am not sure if the auras apply to weapon crews. I thing they don't.