forum not secure

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Viper

forum not secure

Post by Viper »

all my browsers tell me the connection to this website is not secure
do this forum follow the online privacy regulations?

drivebyhobo

Re: forum not secure

Post by drivebyhobo »

All it means is that the protocol used to communicate with the forum is not encrypted

So if someone were to theoretically obtain access to your network traffic, they would be able to read your posts while they were in transit to the forum. Not a big deal, but clearly of concern if you were doing e-commerce on this website.

Viper

Post by Viper »

it is a big concern even for normal users. because this is not all what it means.
it is a big deal because it means that private messages are not really private, and maybe more.

actually another guy started a topic about this months ago viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2689 but received no attention.
i think the forum admins should start to seriously think about migrating this website from HTTP to HTTPS while they still can.

there are guides everywhere on the internet which explain how to obtain an SSL certificate and how to achieve complete conversion to HTTPS links.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

Websites are not explicitly obligated to use SSL (TLS) certificates because of the GDPR.
If this website is not collecting any of your personal data, GDPR does not concern it.
If you believe the content of your message is too private or confidential, don't use stupid BK forum PM.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2689
Asking permission to use cookies has nothing to do with SSL (TLS) certificates.
I believe this website fits into the exception:

Cookies clearly exempt from consent according to the EU advisory body on data protection- WP29pdf include:

user‑input cookies (session-id) such as first‑party cookies to keep track of the user's input when filling online forms, shopping carts, etc., for the duration of a session or persistent cookies limited to a few hours in some cases
authentication cookies, to identify the user once he has logged in, for the duration of a session
user‑centric security cookies, used to detect authentication abuses, for a limited persistent duration
multimedia content player cookies, used to store technical data to play back video or audio content, for the duration of a session
load‑balancing cookies, for the duration of session
user‑interface customisation cookies such as language or font preferences, for the duration of a session (or slightly longer)
third‑party social plug‑in content‑sharing cookies, for logged‑in members of a social network.

http://ec.europa.eu/ipg/basics/legal/co ... dex_en.htm
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"