Old BK versions

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
valkyrie

Old BK versions

Postby valkyrie » 22 Apr 2018, 18:08

Dear Comrades,

may i ask if it is possible to get the old BK Versions somewhere, since i think they represented the German forces as being superior much better than the modern once. For example they don't take into account, that German optics were much more advanced and first round hit probability in general was much higher. The Tiger could shoot farther and with greater accuracy than any other allied tank and this is not realistically displayed in the modern versions.

Best regards

|7th|Nighthawk

Re: Old BK versions

Postby |7th|Nighthawk » 22 Apr 2018, 18:19

There is 4.8.6 on Mod DB, if you don't mind playing it against AI only, but I take it (and hope) that a Google search was already done by you in the first place.

MarKr
Team Member

Postby MarKr » 22 Apr 2018, 20:22

Out of curiosity - in which patch was nerfed the accuracy of Axis guns? They are very accurate even at maximum range and have been like this since I can remember. Also in which BK version had Tiger tank bigger range than now? It seems like you're looking for some very old version of BK (like 2.0) and I don't know if that can be downloaded anywhere.

Tiger1996

Postby Tiger1996 » 22 Apr 2018, 22:22

valkyrie wrote:For example they don't take into account, that German optics were much more advanced and first round hit probability in general was much higher. The Tiger could shoot farther and with greater accuracy than any other allied tank and this is not realistically displayed in the modern versions.

Tiger1 has more range than any other tank in the game.. the Accurate Long Range Shot (ALRS) ability has a range of 90 which is even higher than Flak.88s by the way. Currently, the ALRS costs 50 ammo (for the Tiger1) and can never miss! At veterancy level.2 you can use this ability.
Though, since it's a regular shell.. then don't expect any boost to damage or penetration...

However;
The only thing that was rly nerfed, was the Tiger ACE as it was vet.3 by default in the past.. but now it's vet.1 so now it can't use the ALRS right away. Also, the ALRS ability now requires a bit more time to aim (about 4 to 5 seconds) before the Tiger1 actually fires. That's in addition to the fact that more Allied tanks are now able to bounce off Tiger's gun.. in the past, only Jumbo Shermans and Super Pershing could do that reliably.. but now Pershings and Churchills can also bounce off Tiger's cannon reliably, specifically at long range.

Recently Armor doc was also improved.. and now Pershing tank is superior vs Tiger1 in a head to head scenario, and also... Pershing has the "Rapid Shot" ability which is a huge advantage for the Pershing tank as it does allow the Pershing to shoot twice in the row, or even 3 times actually.. that's before the Tiger1 could even reload anything. Not to mention all your Pershing tanks will gain 1 veterancy level after a specific Armor doc unlock!

Nonetheless, based on all this... I've told MarKr recently that Tiger1 tank could be improved in terms of long range capabilities.. as it could have the ALRS ability available earlier at vet.1 while in return removing the flank speed ability, which doesn't make much sense for such a heavy tank anyway.
Needless to say Tiger ACE never had flank speed. According to the suggestion tho, the Tiger ACE would eventually get the ALRS by default again!
This would definitely make Tiger tanks easier targets for airstrikes, but that's fine as long as u get earlier access to ALRS ability on the other hand.

drivebyhobo

Postby drivebyhobo » 26 Apr 2018, 18:10

valkyrie wrote:For example they don't take into account, that German optics were much more advanced and first round hit probability in general was much higher. The Tiger could shoot farther and with greater accuracy than any other allied tank and this is not realistically displayed in the modern versions.

I think you're conflating the Tiger with the King Tiger, which was indeed only inferior in range to the Super Pershing.

But to be clear, muzzle velocity largely determines the range of WW2 shells. The Tiger's muzzle velocity was far from exceptional in the Western front. The list of Allied tanks that had greater muzzle velocity and therefore range over the Tiger include: 17lber tanks ( Firefly, Achilles), Comet, Jackson, Pershing and the Super Pershing.

The benefit of high quality optics mostly comes from compensating for when the shell begins to significantly drop. The higher the muzzle velocity, the further the distance that it's necessary to rely on the accuracy of advanced optics. So it's really not quite so clear cut.

valkyrie wrote:Dear i think they represented the German forces as being superior much better than the modern once

Don't think anyone would argue against being universally true in older BK versions, but it was not always realistic.

Warhawks97

Postby Warhawks97 » 26 Apr 2018, 18:21

Shell weight is also important. Light shells with high muzzle velocity wouldnt shoot accurately over long distances either.

How effective a gun is over range depends on many factors, including the target itself. When we take the simple max range then Tiger would have two km less range than a 76 sherman. But effective range is different. The German had advanced gunsights when the gunner was skilled enough to use it. You did need to know the dimensions of the target to calculate the distance with help of gunsight "icons".
But once you knew the distance then both sides had gunsights that helped to exactly adjust to this range. Germans had an advantage in magnification and several steps of zooms.
Furthermore they had well armored tanks to protect them against long range shots while the enemie hadnt.
But if we would take Pershing vs Tiger, then both would have to get equally close to engage each other for example.
So the range thing in BK is not an easy thing. You cant generalize things.

Return to “General - CoH1 / BKMOD1”