Sturmtiger

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Tor

Re: Sturmtiger

Post by Tor »

Warhawks97 wrote:
Redgaarden wrote:
Fuck zimmerit. And make hetzers easier to hit. It's understandable that tank destoryers destroy tanks. But they really put the rest of us to ashame.

Well, they are slightly harder to hit than normal tanks. But nothing "OP" for a unit of a size of the hetzer. It has low HP as well.
More funny is that this thing has weaker armor (or easier penetrated by 76 guns) as the tank IV H/J. Which is funny since hetzers armor was more advanced than those of tank IV´s giving it almost tiger like resistence on the upper hull. However the lower part was weak indeed.

Flank speed, well, idk why it even has it.

What bugs me most here is how extremley powerfull it is against stuff like jumbos when shooting from ambush. Even without AP.

Low HP? but with zimmerit need 3 bazooka hit to kill hetzer, 6 bazookas have good chanse... but it have flank speed, and can kill infantry with gun...
Yeah okay irl hetzer have better armor than L48, but why cost so low?
And not only jumbo, same with pershing and churchill.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Tor wrote:
Low HP? but with zimmerit need 3 bazooka hit to kill hetzer, 6 bazookas have good chanse... but it have flank speed, and can kill infantry with gun...
Yeah okay irl hetzer have better armor than L48, but why cost so low?
And not only jumbo, same with pershing and churchill.

Well. The health is 600. As comparision Tank IV H (WH) has 636 HP like a sherman. Somehow i had memories that hetzer had less. M10 has 550 and M36A has 600 HP. Perhaps there have been changes bc the Easy eight has 682 HP but i am quite sure that it used to have 700 HP.
Bazooka deals between 210-300 damage per hit. When Hetzer does not move the zooks have a 45% chance to hit at max range and a 100% pen chance. However, with Zimmerit up the damage is reduced to 157,5-225 damage per hit. So at least three hits would be required to kill it.

Note pls these values are for the M6A3C zooks, not the standard one which have a 80% pen chance.

The US 76 has standard a 54% pen chance at max range.

The Hetzer has a 26,061% chance to penetrate the Jumbo without using AP rounds or ambush at max range. Against the Pershing its a 20,02% chance.
So every fourth hit is actually a penetrating one. And this is shared by so far every axis 75 mm L/48 gun (Means tank IV´s as well).

From ambush these values are doubled. So It has a 52,122% chance to pen jumbo and 40,04 to pen pershing. With AP rounds this is boosted to 69,32226% and 53,2532. The damage of a Hetzer with ambush (50%) and AP (25%) damage boost is 750 (min) - 1125 (max). Pershing has 1000 HP.

So here you have the reasons why the Hetzer can kill any US armor very well. Its related to the doubled pen damage most TD´s get. Only M36 gets just a 50% damage boost. If both, jacks and Hetzer use AP during ambush, the max damage of the Hetzer is higher than that of the Jackson. IIrc Nashorn does also not gain any damage or penetration boost, thus being basically "the worst" axis ambush TD (which is funny since its sole purpose is to fire from ambush).

Bottom Line:
With Zimmerit the Hetzers surviviability is comparable to a 750 HP tank (approx) or better since it reduces taken damage from all sources.
A single Hetzer from ambush is more than capable of stopping and killing jumbo or pershing. Two Hetzers should take them out nicely and even better when you let them get closer a bit.

Churchills are by far better but not unkillable. But with both, ambush and AP the hetzers chance to pen basic churchill is below 40%.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

M10 has 550

I thought they had 600? Could you double check for me. And hellcat has 500 hp.
Rifles are not for fighting. They are for building!

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

500 for Hellcat and Achilles, 550 for M10, 600 for jacks A and Hetzer, 650 for Jagdpanzer IV.

But that makes me curious. Why has the Jagdpanzer IV more health than a tank IV H/J from wehrmacht (which has 636) and more than shermans. The PE Tank IV H/J seem to have 650 as well.

I thought that the Hetzer had 550 as well. Thats why i first said "it has low HP".
Build more AA Walderschmidt

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

Just my two cents...

I find the ST has an air of unreality.

I don't like it.

BZ is all about feeling real.

It's too big a bang from a tank.

It makes you think - why would an army ever bother with normal tanks?

As an aside, I looked over the Wikipedia page.

The range if I remember correctly was about half that of the Brit 25 pdr.