Henschels and accuracy

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
MarKr
Team Member

Henschels and accuracy

Post by MarKr »

I've got reports about "Henschels missing every shot" before latest patch and now too. I watched a replay which was to show me how they miss and after watching it I realized that people probably don't full understand how the ability works. So to precede any misunderstandings here is how it works:

The Henschels are able to hit moving targets because they don't drop bombs at chosen position (like Stukas do) but they actually use their guns and aim and fire at tanks - it is same as if sniper fires at infantry. The problem is that the unit needs to see the target if it should have any chance of hitting it. So if you use the Henschel ability near FoW and opponent's tanks retreat to FoW then this happens:
1) Game searches for viable targets (here it means vehicles) around the point where the ability is used
2) When it finds a target, the ability sends a Henschel and tells it to target that vehicle
3) Henschel flies and when it is at certain range, it starts aiming and shooting
4) After few seconds the game searches for another target and sends another Henschel

But if point number 2 happens and then the target disappears into FoW, in number 3 the Heschel cannot aim, because the target is not visible so Henschel fires "blind" and hits nothing. But the planes reveal FoW in small radius around them so when the Henschel gets to the target zone it reveals some other vehicle in the target area, so ability sends plane (point number 2), but Henschel that spotted the target keeps moving and the target gets hidden in FoW again, new Heschel cannot target it and so it goes on until the ability time ends.

US air raid works on similar principle but the bombs are dropped at the position where the target was when the ability found the target and the plane will drop the bomb there even if the target is no longer there. But bombs have area damage and even if the target moves away it might still get hit by the blast (or some other unit enters the blast zone).

It also seems that the Henschel projectiles can hit objects on its paths so if there is a building or something between Henschel and target, the shot might hit the object. This should not happen because the weapon is set to ignore shot_block objects. So this is a bug and we will try to find a solution to it.

TLDR version: In order for the Henschels to hit and destroy something, you need to see the target all the time - have a spotter there or units that fight while the Henschels come.

JimQwilleran

Re: Henschels and accuracy

Post by JimQwilleran »

In my last game my tanks were visible to wurf all the time (he had a ketten), I saw many henshels, all of them were firing at my tanks, yet ALL shots hit the dirt. It's a matter of accuracy, believe me.

SnowLeo

Post by SnowLeo »

JimQwilleran wrote:In my last game my tanks were visible to wurf all the time (he had a ketten), I saw many henshels, all of them were firing at my tanks, yet ALL shots hit the dirt. It's a matter of accuracy, believe me.

Yes. On another game (not ~2h ;-)) I had the same... No fog of war .... But all shots was miss....

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

JimQwilleran wrote:In my last game my tanks were visible to wurf all the time (he had a ketten), I saw many henshels, all of them were firing at my tanks, yet ALL shots hit the dirt. It's a matter of accuracy, believe me.
I saw one of your replays (viewtopic.php?f=16&p=16727#p16727) after about 32 minutes there were Henschels used. It looked like they did nothing because 1st, 2nd and 5th were shot down before they even took a shot, 3rd actually hit some tank twice but yeah, the 4th missed all shots.

Well, there is something wrong with their accuracy but I don't think it is accuracy settings itself because right now it is set in such a way that they should not miss at all, so I think something else is messing with it. I will try to find a solution to this.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

MarKr wrote:I saw one of your replays (viewtopic.php?f=16&p=16727#p16727) after about 32 minutes there were Henschels used. It looked like they did nothing because 1st, 2nd and 5th were shot down before they even took a shot, 3rd actually hit some tank twice but yeah, the 4th missed all shots.

Well, there is something wrong with their accuracy but I don't think it is accuracy settings itself because right now it is set in such a way that they should not miss at all, so I think something else is messing with it. I will try to find a solution to this.

Thank you!