Abilities of Engineers/Pios etc. in 4.9.6

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
MarKr
Team Member

Abilities of Engineers/Pios etc. in 4.9.6

Post by MarKr »

Some people asked me why was Resource stealing removed from WH Pioneers or why RE Pios cannot repair anymore and in general why some abilities do not work for some units. The thing is that they still have the abilities they used to have but since we added the Hold Ground ability, some units had no free slot in UI so we needed to add an "ability switch" button. Abilities can only be activated when you can see them in unit's UI. So here when your Pio's UI looks like this:Image
You can repair vehicles automaticaly with right-clik or cut wires with right-click.
But when the UI is switched to this:Image
You cannot cut wires and repair things with right click, but right-click lets you now scavenge resources from wrecks (which is not possible with 1st UI).

Same goes e.g. for RE sappers and their repairs etc. So keep an eye out for what you want to use ;).

speeddemon02

Re: Abilities of Engineers/Pios etc. in 4.9.6

Post by speeddemon02 »

I just saw this and wanted to discuss it as I am having issues getting over the new placements, mainly the repair button not in the same spot. With the attack ground button removed, put hold position there, allowing the repair to return to that spot. the 2nd page button could be removed so all the abilities could be seen on the one page

Ive seen other unit combinations that cause issues too like with BK and the commander is in the stormtrooper HT, the grenade ability is on top of unit selection

XAHTEP39

Post by XAHTEP39 »

WH Pios - swap abilities "cut wires" and "scavenge resources from wrecks" , so the "cut wires" will be on 2nd UI , but "scavenge resources from wrecks" will be on the 1st UI.
Why? I think, that "repair" and "scavenge resources from wrecks" use more often, then "cut wires" and "Geballte laddung".

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

XAHTEP39 wrote:WH Pios - swap abilities "cut wires" and "scavenge resources from wrecks" , so the "cut wires" will be on 2nd UI , but "scavenge resources from wrecks" will be on the 1st UI.
Why? I think, that "repair" and "scavenge resources from wrecks" use more often, then "cut wires" and "Geballte laddung".

Agree! Good idea.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

speeddemon02 wrote:Mainly the repair button not in the same spot.
Why do you need repair button in the same spot? I mean most of the time you just directly right-click the damaged unit and don't need to click the ability at all - exceptions are units and buildings that can be garrisoned.
speeddemon02 wrote:With the attack ground button removed, put hold position there, allowing the repair to return to that spot.
We cannot do this because in the slots in top row cannot be placed other things. The game will not show them if you place anything there, theslots are simply reserved
for "Stop", "Attack Ground", "Attack move" and "Retreat" - if any unit in the game can use one of these abilities they will show up automatically - that is why "attack move" dissappears when you use "hold ground" on units or why "attack ground" shows up only after your squad has a weapon that can actually attack ground (zookas, flamethrowers...).
speeddemon02 wrote:Ive seen other unit combinations that cause issues too like with BK and the commander is in the stormtrooper HT, the grenade ability is on top of unit selection
We know about this...put squads into AB HQ (the one transformed from neutral buildings) and squad abilities will show up on top of building abilities. Place squads in bunkers and squad abilities show up on top of bunker abilities. Finding a solution for this is sort of complicated but it is our list too.

EDIT: It is possible to put the most used abilities on 1st ability sheet and the less used on 2nd - if you agree on what should be where, we can do it.

XAHTEP39

Post by XAHTEP39 »

MarKr wrote:...
EDIT: It is possible to put the most used abilities on 1st ability sheet and the less used on 2nd - if you agree on what should be where, we can do it.

Two mans are agree (about WH Pions on screenshot) :)

And about WH/US Pions/Engs - is it possible to make "Geballte laddung"/"explosives" at start, without HQ-upgrade; I think this upgrade is a vCoH remnant...

speeddemon02

Post by speeddemon02 »

I agree scavenge and repair should be on 1st page as well. I tend to use the reinforcement/ambulance HT not fully manned and a simple right click wont repair the vehicle. It tends to be during some type of engagement so muscle memory kicks in. I do not need it, but the habit I've drilled in is hard to break. I can understand the 2nd point, do you think it might be a good idea or possible to have sprint on the 2nd page as well assuming the timers can be the same so there isn't 2 sprints to use so that it is always available?

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

OK, if nobody objects then repair and scavenge will be on first page, demolitions and wirecutter on second. And yes, sprint can be usable on both pages.