CW doctrines

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
Sudatus

CW doctrines

Post by Sudatus »

Hi, lets talk about CW docs.
Im a long time CW player, fom vanila coh even. Now i had 2 years od BK pause, but now I am playing again. AS the playerbase dropped IMHO its harder to find ppl of my level skill to play.

CW has IMO the most diversified docs of all factions. thats why the CW players can get countered really hard, and must wait some time to pick a DOC. I would ask more experienced players how you do that. I feel I get rushed and must pick a DOC ASAP, and as doc are really different u can be of no use in mid to late game. I feel CW lacks non docs units to wait before picking a doctrine.

Regarding RE, i feel AVRE has too low range (Tho this is historicaly accurate) to effetively destroy enplacements, 88 and especaly pantherturns have range edge on it and if thay damage your mobility in the 1st shot u are dead 720 mp wasted. (I have like 100 games since i restarted playing but i have seen a lot more of turteling than before). The Churc SPA range is better, but its not very effective against emplacements. BTW how does its range compare to Cromwell SPA?

I will talk more when I have the time.

Krieger Blitzer

Re: CW doctrines

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Hello there!

Actually, atm... I always prefer not to choose a doctrine too early while playing CW. Reason is; you can build some 17p emplacements before you later pick up the RAF doc.. but once you have picked it up; you can build them no more of course :P
Just a tip ;) But it's actually a bug, since that 17p emplacements shouldn't be available by default. And I believe it will be fixed next patch ^^

It's usually difficult to counter the Recce though, and now it's available for all CW docs... Dingo doesn't replace it anymore from the customize army list like it used to be in the past.. if you are playing high res; only then I could probably understand what you mean, since that CW definitely has some problems in high res games, specifically against PE. As they don't have much time... US is much better against PE early game in high res games, due to the fact that you could actually bring AT teams straight up just too early.
However; if you are playing low res... Just make sure you don't lose your Sappers at the beginning and u will be fine, other than that.. I don't think CW has any other problems in low res games except the mortar half-truck. But maybe try to use PIATs or something!

About AVRE range, i probably have to agree.. even though the 95mm Churchill is even better against emplacements. I usually use the AVRE against inf blobs only... Not emplacements :)

Frost

Post by Frost »

Is it me or acutely every time i try to use AVRE it end up getting killed by a German SH tank JT KT etc... having at crew and ambushed tank dys cant help from full range engagement ....

Tbh for RE i always bring reform many sections which really covering commandos job imo this the reason i don't like RAF usually good players have some aa in every corner in map which means you will bring 150 ammo wasted and this is very annoying IMO also

dont get me wrong SAS is 650 MP so what? i remember in game i had 101 inf kills with flashmujers just in sas and sten commandos even with upgrades i mean really 550 against 650 yet they couldn't stand without dying i know they just behind enemy lines unit but 650 is just to much and i can say the same about reg commandos they cant survive much against Germans lmg 34 and 42

i like RE more because of Churchill esp against PE players if he picked SE or Luftwaffe he cant have this AT power to stop Churchill's assault in mid game

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

Frost wrote:i like RE more because of Churchill esp against PE players if he picked SE or Luftwaffe he cant have this AT power to stop Churchill's assault in mid game

PE eats churrchils for breakfast. They are too slow to avoid arty or fausts, too slow to chase 75mm halftrack, too slow to run away from panther or Nashorn, not to mention luft AT plane patrol. Lol should I say anything about TH doc? Generally all PE factions are universal counters to brits, beginning with mortar halftrack.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I think i have to disagree.. not all PE docs are perfect counters to Churchills... At least Luft doc can't actually do much against Armor doc really, same against RE doc too; but not only because of Churchills of course. As we have not to forget about the emplacements... But the Croc is definitely a pain in the ass! I saw it bouncing the PanzerFaust somehow btw.. and just like all Pershings, the 50mm pak (or the PE 37mm half-truck) 100 ammo rocket ability often just bounces off so simply against Churchills most of the time.
Flak 88s can't penetrate the Croc either...

Frost

Post by Frost »

JimQwilleran wrote:
Frost wrote:i like RE more because of Churchill esp against PE players if he picked SE or Luftwaffe he cant have this AT power to stop Churchill's assault in mid game

PE eats churrchils for breakfast. They are too slow to avoid arty or fausts, too slow to chase 75mm halftrack, too slow to run away from panther or Nashorn, not to mention luft AT plane patrol. Lol should I say anything about TH doc? Generally all PE factions are universal counters to brits, beginning with mortar halftrack.

i acutilly can win very easily against all PE tacitcs with CW for luftwafe you need tons of ammo to get plane patrol 250 is a lot and dont forgite that your units require a lot of ammo

anyhow im not useing churchulls like KT or SP :lol: i just use them to waste time to get my royal sappers to get emplacments btw i just relized that PE without scorthed earth cant do anything to mortor emplacment with mg emp or hidden mg and with hidden at and mortor halftruck? i use howrtize or tuilp rockets so i usewaly eat PE for breakfast if im CW

and newer cant do enough damage it will just kill the crew and meanwhile i recrew and build another one

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1291#p13745

kwok wrote:I think Illa's assessment is the truest and most accurate assessment so far. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop writing. I'll still provide my opinion to satisfy my ego.
Meanwhile, I greatly disagree with Devilfish on a couple points. But I will probably get to that later.

British - RAF
Probably the most popular brit doc because of its fluff. It's a slow starter with low early game power, is okay mid game, but late game is absolutely punishing. One tip about playing RAF, one of the best units available for Brits in general is the Recce and its insane sight plus durability. Similar to Airborne doc and among british docs in general, RAF is probably the most versatile making it an extremely power doctrine to play in 1v1's or "team carry" scenarios. That doesn't meant there are tradeoffs though.
Army Composition - Balanced, like AB for USA it's a well balanced doctrine as long as you can make the right doctrine choices to field the units you need when you need them. There is a lot of decision making, so I recommend to not commit to a particular branch unless you are covered by your teammates or have found a way to cover yourself.
Micro Intensity - High, at least until you can get into the late game where your soldiers are extremely durable and you have many "click to kill" ability options available through doctrine unlocks. At that point, you're more or less and unstoppable force walking through the park.
Weakness - Early game you lack any extra advantage than any other brit doctrine can have and need to rely a lot on teammates. Your build order might be a bit rigid in order to hedge against potential enemy openings. Brits really don't have very strong opening moves in general except to get AT to hedge against car rushes (if you don't and they do get cars, you're screwed. if you do and they don't, you might have to fight harder with weaker units but at least you can survive the early game)

British - Royal Engineers
Probably second most popular doctrine for Brits in PvP because of how forgiving the doctrine can be (as long as the doctrine is played right). The durability of the units, resource bonuses, and unit costs really don't make decisions that hard. Often times you'll find the only resource you'll be short in consistently is manpower. RE are weak early and extremely strong mid game, start to taper off and get harder to play as the game drags on. Biggest tip: DONT FORGET THE DOC IS MORE THAN JUST CHURCHILLS! Using base brit units are really how you can cover the doc's weaknesses.
Army Composition - pretty balanced, the inf are naturally strong as Brits, I'd recommend not treating the engineer glider like RAF gliders but there are some players who do use them like shock units. The churchhills are definitely strongest mid game, but become less powerful as axis can field stronger AT and tanks. Churchhills make great line pushers but lack the damage you'd find in most other tanks. mainly because their best range is mid to close but the churchhills have no gap closing mobility except to pray nothing penetrates as they crawl up towards the target. Lastly there is some light arty available for special situations, not as plentiful as other docs but it's enough to be considered "balanced" in my books.
Micro Intensity - Medium, RE is more about strategy than micro, imo. The units are too slow to truly micro except maybe the shock royal engineers which is even more micro intensive than average because they lack hold ground (soon to change) and are extremely squishy. The real micro comes in when you use smaller cars like staghounds and daimlers which really help for things like hunting mobile arty and mortar cars (i really don't know why more players don't do this...). But, that isn't far different than other factions.
Weakness - panzer shreks and overconfidence. Pre 4.8.3 patch, people complained about how useless RE was. then churchills were buffed and people complained how strong they were because no one was use to having any other AT tactic other than plopping a simple pak firing the front of a tank. since then people have adapted and found other ways of killing the churchhills, so don't get over confident with you durability. Use it well and strategically, pair it with your teammates, and you will be an amazing supporting player where people will start calling you out for being OP. The most glaring weakness is just lack in mobile differentiation from other factions/doctrines.

British - Royal Artillery
Probably most popular among compstompers I think? I always see people who play compstomp and jump into PvP either play RAF or Arty. Personally, I think the supercharge mortar/arty rounds is one of the strongest doc techs in all factions/doctrines (first place being recon abilities). This doc is all about playing strategic distance. Keep an enemy out of their striking range while throwing your long range at them. Biggest personal tip is to not build a static defense. You'll just get recon'd, counter-bombed, and have no ability to strike out against their long range units (more on dynamic defense here viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1153). This is tough because British lack mobility as is, but it is even more of a reason to make sure you keep shuffling your defenses so that your opponent can't lock on to you. Choose mobile mg's and AT over the emplaced, decide to go on the offensive not to kill but purely to keep the enemy at bay, moves like that will protect your mortars and arty to do the real damage dealing. Use the spotter. Long ago, the dingo couldn't camoflauge and the spotter was the only invis recon Brits had. Spotters are cheap alternatives to the dingo.
Army Composition - Low, relative to all other doctrines and factions there really is not any unit variety gained from artillery doc except more artillery. Arty doc doesn't even have the best arty units, it just has a lot of it. Quantity over Quality.
Micro Intensity - Low to High, so this is really team dependent. Without teammates, you need to cover yourself with non-doctrine units, carve out a spot for your artillery, then finally secure the area for artillery before you can even think about building artillery/mortars. With non-specialized units from base British roster, you will probably have to push your micro skills to the limit to reach an arty ready foundation. If you can have teammates to keep the enemy at bay so you can just deal the damage from afar, you're fine. Annecdote: On that god awful map halfaya pass, I spent 70% of a game alt tabbed while my arty was on cooldown, only to come back to play to fire off more rounds. Came out with the highest score, doubling the second place highest score, least amount of losses, and wasn't even actively playing the game. This is an extreme scenario given circumstances... but just an example of how low micro intensity could be.
Weakness - Highly strategic and micro dependent to really use the doc effectively. You get no special frontline units and have to play with only a few non-doc roster units because of British high manpower costs. Repeated attacks where you at least win cost-cost against an arty doc player will eventually break them. As an arty player, make sure you always win cost-cost or you'll keep falling behind.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.