SAS commandos

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
sgtToni95

SAS commandos

Post by sgtToni95 »

Hi everyone :)

I've been playing quite a few games lately, and after playing RAF and Luft doc i noticed that after just 1 tech tree unlock Reg5 become extremely good and gain veterancies at a normal speed, while SAS, which i think are the most expansive inf unit in the game, at least for the initial cost, are really hard to use effectively.
I try to use them at mid-short range, since they're equipped with brens and thompsons, but they don't seem to punish as hard as reg5 at any range (expecially when Fallshirm get that "irregular ground" boost).
What i'm asking here is: are all RAF tech tree upgrades for commandos applied even to sas squads? and at which range and on which targets should i use them to make them most effective?
Would it be a good strategy not to give them zooks and maybe try picking up some other weapon dropped on the ground to make them better equipped?
I even noticed that if you pick just 1 zook (not both) they can't pick any other weapon.. why is that?

Thank you in advance ;)

Wer525

Re: SAS commandos

Post by Wer525 »

I must agree with sgtToni here, Fallshrim when properly upgraded are a very solid unit, which is fine since they are elite infantry, but it is also true that SAS commando units have worst weaponry and grow up in veterancy with a dramatically slower rate.
Talking about historical aspect, it is known that SAS commandos unit could choose whatever weapon they needed so why no bren, m1919, bar or anything like that? If SaS cost more they should be better or at least they should be unlockable earlier like the fallshrim.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Hi.
are all RAF tech tree upgrades for commandos applied even to sas squads? and at which range and on which targets should i use them to make them most effective?
Would it be a good strategy not to give them zooks and maybe try picking up some other weapon dropped on the ground to make them better equipped?
I even noticed that if you pick just 1 zook (not both) they can't pick any other weapon.. why is that?

I believe some upgrades are applied.
The best tactic would be to specialize both ur SAS squads; 1 of them should pick Bazookas only, the other one should pick Brens only!

I will probably make a video about comparing SAS and Reg5 as soon as I can.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

And i would like to know how weapons slots work... if i get 2 brens and 2 zooks is 4 .. if i get 2 brens i can only pick 1 more weapon (3 in total). Haven't tried by picking no bren but what's the difference between picking 2 zooks instead of 2 mp44s or other weapons?

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

Fallschirmjagers will get nerfed in the next patch. Confirmed by MarKr

Yafa

Post by Yafa »

no one can beat sas after the upgrades

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

So how do you use them to make them so effective and undefeatable?

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

Dont use SaS, crap unit, they cant hit shit with their zooks and Thompsons + Brens loadout makes little sense. Moreover their reinforcement cost much more than the one for normal commando.

If you need long range damagers just build infantry section, with 2 Brens and Rifle nades they are extremely good ( also their reinforcement cost is one of the cheapest in game along with rifles and volks ).

Regarding infantry strenght, imo top butchers are:
1) SS squad with 2 MG-42 4 G43 + sniper rifle.
2) Gebirgsjaegers
3) Falchirmjaegers ( with def bonuce applied )
4) Commando enfields x2 brens
5) 101s Rangers x2 Johnson x1 Bar

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Ok thank you Sukin!
But why is the cost so high if it's such a crap unit?

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Ask devs

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I disagree about the "crap assessment". I think sas are a great buy because you get weps and fairly strong inf if you use them without pre-biased expectation. If you think about them as what they come with not what you want them to be (i.e. Not charging terror doc grenadiers) then they are excellent tools.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

True, especially that SAS were not meant to be front unit. They were saboteurs, and so it looks in the game. They can drop behind lines, plant explosives, burn points, camo, organize traps... No one forces you to pick up bren if you don't like it. I think that they can't be called useless and see no reason to touch them. To fight on the first line there are standard commandos, SAS are not meant to be falshmir to pwn anything in their way.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Ok thank you guys ;)

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

kwok wrote:I disagree about the "crap assessment". I think sas are a great buy because you get weps and fairly strong inf if you use them without pre-biased expectation. If you think about them as what they come with not what you want them to be (i.e. Not charging terror doc grenadiers) then they are excellent tools.
JimQwilleran wrote:True, especially that SAS were not meant to be front unit. They were saboteurs, and so it looks in the game. They can drop behind lines, plant explosives, burn points, camo, organize traps... No one forces you to pick up bren if you don't like it. I think that they can't be called useless and see no reason to touch them. To fight on the first line there are standard commandos, SAS are not meant to be falshmir to pwn anything in their way.

All commandos can plant explosives, camo and booby trap. So they are left for sabotage points only.....you got free brens for commando upgrade anyway. Only if you needed zooks so bad, or I don't know. Don't take me wrong, they are actually not that super terrible in combat, but for that price and reinforcement cost? Get out of here.....

I've never seen anyone made a use of them, that would be worth the price tag, not even you two boyz. When my mate starts dropping SAS eagerly, i know its gg, because he will drain all his MP on them with little use.
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Well said agent, exactly the reasons why I never use SAS. Shadow once suggested to give them satchels instead of explosives, but idea got forgotten I guess.

Another stupid thing about SAS that once you activated smoke you can no longer throw granades.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Guys, few days ago there was a post about breaking forum rules...it was started by complaints about flaming but we said that we will see to it that forum rules are being followed, that goes for all the rules, not only flaming. The rules say:
5. Do not drag threads offtopic.Threads may be locked if you drag them offtopic. You may be banned from the thread, and have your posts deleted. The moderators are not here to clean up threads though so do not expect offtopic posts to just be deleted, and the thread left open. You are responsible for your posts, so if you get thread locked due to offtopic posts, it is your fault and no one elses. Offtopic posts that derail a thread ( provide fodder for others to post offtopic ), will most likely be deleted straight away.
This topic started as discussion about SAS and moved to more of general talk about CW playstyle. So I moved that part of the topic to a new one (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1130&view=unread#unread).
If you have more to say about SAS, you are free to do it here but don't drag the topic OT again, in such a case topic will be locked.
Thanks

grayson1337

Post by grayson1337 »

Sometimes i call in the SAS just to have my Lee Enfield commandos pick up the zooks of the Paratroopers. Last match i managed to get one squad with 6 bazookas :D but sadly the zooks don't penetrate heavy armor reliable enough..in some cases all 6 shots have bounced. still nice but expensive