Impassable defences

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
PanzerDillane

Impassable defences

Post by PanzerDillane »

Post your pictures here of some impassable defences you have created!

PanzerDillane

Re: Impassable defences

Post by PanzerDillane »

My own "Impassable Defence" is indeed destroyable however with only Arty or Mortars. By the time their Engineers repair the bridge I'll have two Panzer IVs ready and waiting who are locked down just around the corner :lol: Image

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

xD in pvp that would be an easy target

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

Sukin-kot (SVT) wrote:xD in pvp that would be an easy target

Correction, in pvp he wouldn't be able to build such thing :D

Erich

Post by Erich »

I feel very bad for your children,destroying dreams, their fantasies...

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

Ok, so I am gonna upload mine :D.
Attachments
228200_screenshots_2013-08-31_00009.jpg
228200_screenshots_2013-08-31_00016.jpg
228200_screenshots_2013-08-31_00013.jpg
228200_screenshots_2013-08-31_00017.jpg

SzepyCZ

Post by SzepyCZ »

228200_20160516192639_1.png

228200_20160516172036_1.png

fasda22

Post by fasda22 »

Hehe, its not perfect and can be cracked in PvP it is still a very powerfull defence force here. I added the text for reasons to give my friend the idea of my defences he's going to need to crack in a to come 1v1.
Attachments
More 105's forming the backbone of the counter-battery and assault dispersion defences
More 105's forming the backbone of the counter-battery and assault dispersion defences
The defences of the bridge, with high numbers it can be bypassed however!
The defences of the bridge, with high numbers it can be bypassed however!
On the flanks of the bridge a formation like this lies cutting off side attacks. Note the 105mm arty gun for counter-battery fire.
On the flanks of the bridge a formation like this lies cutting off side attacks. Note the 105mm arty gun for counter-battery fire.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Difficult defense to crack with a direct attack, true a lot of these defenses are very strong. Haha, I am impressed by the time and resources it takes to make these walls.
But i also noticed a lot of these defenses are either annotated with a "not good for pvp" disclaimer or rudely shot down by some pvp player as "easy targets".

If any of you are at all interested in hearing how to improve them in a PvP setting, I'm be happy go on a warhawks-sized-textwall about different theories on defense by various strategists and books. I was going to do it for BKNC anyways and might have some "guides" saved up. Or ask Wake, he has a literal list of general BK tips it's pretty interesting.
The great thing about them is that these tips and ideas are also equally applicable to comp stomp games and will help you reach the end of a compstomp quicker and eventually be able to take on 1v2's vs expert AI.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

fasda22

Post by fasda22 »

I'm always up to improve my defences, with prioritizing the one i posted above :P simply because thats the only map i play this defensive.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Here's a quick tip on beating AI:
(context: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1115#p12392)

Tricks vs AI (and some cases PVP):
Rush a critical and easily defendable location, lock it down.
Back cap points up to your critical point with a few squads only while you concentrate your main force at the main line you've established in the beginning of the game.
Learn to micro your vehicles against AI, they seem to derp around when it comes to AT so you can really put on some damage with vehicles.
AI (and sadly sometimes humans) have no concept of learning, so find out the frequent paths they go down and repeatedly ambush them there to maximize your cost-damage output.
Don't be afraid to attack. More times, AI are better equipped to attack than defend because they have no concept of formation (like some humans). AI only know how to spawn wave after wave which, like an ocean against rocks, will eventually weather you down. This is their advantage. You can negate their advantage by taking the fight to them. Apply the right counters against their horribly set up defense, maximize your cost-damage output.

Keep cost-damage in mind, AI will always have more resources so you need to be able to keep up better than 1 to 1 trades.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

About Strategic Defense:

Both Art of War and Clausewitz's Principles of War mention defense not as a skill with types of formation/standard but as an active tool/strategy rather than a passive tactic. In Art of War, defense is a mechanism to make a passive/defensive person in nature uncomfortable. Switching to physical passivity should be with aggressive/offense intent. Being passive strategically is allows the enemy to manipulate the advantageous to their favor (which is a principle worth reading into because it is a huge foundation in the arguments from the AoW).
In the example of PvP, passivity just gives the opponent time to observe and discover areas of weakness to exploit.
In the example of CompStomps, passivity allows the AI to send wave after wave and wittle you downs since AI essentially have limitless resource and psychological capacity.
So if you look back up to my tips above, this links to when I say "keep cost-damage in mind" because you are at a disadvantage. Art of War is about recognizing advantages and disadvantages, then manipulating circumstances in your favor.

Clausewitz's Principle of War mentions defense more as an advantageous state to be offensive. Defense is merely establishing the moment of battle where factors favor you. An active defense is attacking on your own terms and turf. This is the principle behind ambushes and why that type of asymmetric fighting works so well.
Linking this back to my tips above, this is why I suggest "don't be afraid to attack" and learn the typical paths of the enemy (which is much easier than AI). Defend by leaving an enticing ground you know you can win on open, then attack once the "attacker" falls into the trap. This actually brings me to a Japanese saying.

Tactics in Defense:
"A good fort always has a hole" -Japanese proverb on war
The idea behind having an opening in your defense is because the attacker will always try to exploit a weakness in defense. But, if you leave an opening, then the attacker is prone to try to attack that opening. Turn that opening into an ambush, and you will show you manipulated the circumstances suggested by the Art of War and decided the location of attack by Principles of War.

A CoH specific examples of defensive tactics is using something like a sniper for bait with AT in the back protecting it. The sniper counters inf but is a magnet for vehicles. When the enemy tries to chase the sniper, they run into the AT and lose both vehicle and inf. This is better than creating a defensive line of a sniper and AT because if the enemy recognizes that the defensive line contains both, they will choose the artillery solution and you will have lose both defenders. With a single sniper seemingly alone, the enemy will not want to waste arty on the sniper and send a vehicle thinking it is a cheaper but effective solution.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

Thx prof. really interesting thoughts.