Low FPS and Low Cpu Usage

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
TeresaCM

Low FPS and Low Cpu Usage

Post by TeresaCM »

Hi, I just install Blitzkrieg mod today but I got very low fps athought my computer is not so bad, I use MSI Afterburner to check I see that the cpu usage is to litter and that cause me a fps drop, can you guy help me to make the game use all 4 cores ?

Here is my computer spec :

I5 2400
8gb Ram
HD 7750

http://imgur.com/831QGqj

Here is the image link, I don't know why but if I post this image to forum my MSI Afterbunner overplay I have take with it not show up.

JimQwilleran

Re: Low FPS and Low Cpu Usage

Post by JimQwilleran »

I always get the same thing when I play with more than 3 AI players. It's the engine of the game :(.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

make sure you don't turn on ultra settings. the game literally cannot handle its own power.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

yeah, i also have a pretty good PC (i7 series and R9 series etc) and i dont play the game on max settings. Large maps and expert bots are killing many pcs^^.

Even though its an old game, the mod is still capable to overstrain new pc´s during some situations.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

At the old forum there was a topic summarizing things that people did and led to better performance. Unfortunately I don't remember it all but what I can remember are these:
- If you have FRAPS installed, uninstall it (not turn off but completely get rid of it). FRAPS apparently installs some of its parts to your graphic card's memory which can lead to performance drop in some games.
- somebody reported that turning off background music improved performance for them
- in Windows disable Prefetch and Superfetch services; even though the ingame FPS test isn't very accurate, I can remember after I did this the test showed about 30-50% more FPS. (I don't remember how to do it but I'm sure it can be googled)
- another person reported that you can get higher FPS if you make the game "unable" to make the replay file (I think that was done by making the "Replays" folder "For reading only")
- Lower any graphic settings from "Ultra" to anything lower (as kwok said the game cannot properly work with this setting...but you won't be able to tell the difference).Try turning off the HD textures.

Also any game played against multiple AI players tends to lag a lot especially on harder difficulties because the AI gets more resources so they can build more units and your PC needs to compute the behaviour of them all which is demanding. Furthermore don't play "rainy" maps. Rain is a huge performance eater. Globaly speaking, it is known that the CoH engine is not optimalized very well from a big part that is the reason why the game has performance problems even on PCs that should be able to run it just fine.

About the usage of all 4 cores - It cannot be done. There is actually veeeeery few games out there that can make use of multiple-core processors (e.g. ArmA 2 and 3 can do so) from what I know it is not easy for the game developers to "teach" the game to use multiple cores.

TeresaCM

Post by TeresaCM »

Thank for replying guys, I will try to lower my setting let's hope it will get me few more fps, what a shame I used to play my coh vanilla with my old cpu E8400 and Blitzkrieg is the mod that I want to play so much but at that time my cpu was too weak so I couldn't play this mod, I gave up and then saved up money to upgrade my computer. I hope to get some changes, but the game fps is still the same like before because the game itseft can't used all my cores...

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

In the old version (not steam) I could perfectly play larger maps without lag on LAN and high settings. Shame there is no LAN anymore. Thx anyway for the advice Markr

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Not sure if it's a "not be able to run on all cores" because I had a pos computer. Did you try turning off ultra settings? Did you try systematically going through markr's suggestions?
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

TeresaCM

Post by TeresaCM »

Okay, I already try to low all setting to High or Medium but the fps in mid and late game is still the same like before...

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

If you play vs cpu, don't play with unlimited popcap
Also avoid XL maps like Rhine

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

TeresaCM wrote:Okay, I already try to low all setting to High or Medium but the fps in mid and late game is still the same like before...

Your FPS program is not eating the resources by any chances? also a lot of fps drops are tied with customs maps, some maps are really badly designed and cause huge fps drops, the fps drop is also very related to the map quality design.
On a personal point of view, the lag problem came as soon COh merged into the new steam system, the 2.600 was very stable even on crappy maps, the lagging wasn't a big problem on old machine back then, Coh is old but work perfectly on some machine without any flaws, lags etc... and sometimes you have machines who lag... even recent ones, i mean if you play WarThunder who's a new game...well... the Fps is Fubar completelly.
*REMINDER: do not forget to empty the "warning log files" in documents/My Games/Company of Heroes Relaunch/LogFiles this things with the time take a lot of space in your Hard Drive.