The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Talk about CoH1 or BKMOD1 in general.
kwok
Team Member
Posts: 2166
Joined: 29 Mar 2015, 05:22

The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by kwok »

Hi All,

I know you all hate long paragraphs and walls of text on the forum, but this one is really really important for all players and for the future of the mod. Because who knows, maybe the next patch isn't even worth doing...

As this game gets older and older, there's something that I know is in everyone's mind: Is the community getting smaller? Are people leaving? Will there be players to play with in the future?

I'm a big BK fan myself; I've played for at least a 8 years now and have made a lot of friends through the time. This is one of my favorite games and will likely continue to be for the long future. A terrible future for me would be to log on to BK and see no games in the lobby or hop on steam and see no one players company of heroes. So I'm begging... BEGGING for you all to do me a favor...

People often try to diagnose WHY people are leaving the community. A lot of people say it's because of how the dev has changed the game or balance issues or something related to the game itself. I've been in the mod for YEARS and the game has changed SO much but to be honest... players still play. True, we lose some players for every change we make but we also gain some because the game evolves as the community evolves. This is natural in any game or any environment for that matter. There is ONE thing though that is for sure death to a community.... toxicity...

I've been trying to say this for years, trying to say the real killer to the mod isn't the game but something else much quieter... I can't begin to describe the amount of times I've heard how painful it is for players to deal with other players. But that's just it, I've only just said "someone said it". Most players don't want to bring up their bad experience with other players because they don't want to deal with the drama even if it is anonymized. I don't blame them. Hell, people don't even want to come to the forum to voice their opinions because they feel like they'll be roasted alive.

Just this week, another player has given up. But this player was willing to share an experience with everyone. This is what the player wrote to me (screenshots attached for proof that I didn't make it up):
Anonymous wrote: Hello Kwok, unfortunately I have unfriend [player] and removed myself from the blitz discord groups. i spent 3 games with [player] tonight in a row being told off for the smallest things, being made fun of, being talked about like I am not there. I play this game for fun and I think that there should be more of an effort to make the community a more welcoming place. There is a large portion of the player base that refuses to play with most of the regular players due to this. I have many many conversations with players who say they wont play pvp because of the verbal abuse that they will get, or the constant blame. And here to drive home my point, I recently started playing this game again after 9 months off because [player] among others were so brutal with the comments and the negativity that it was no longer fun to play with people. it is at that point right now with [player] again because I mean we just did a 3 v 2 and lost and these are some of [player] comments "hey guys dont go to mid just go to the corner and ARTY it over and over" so we do. then he says "whos at mid?" "then he says why arent you guys atying the stuff at mid?" we say cause we have no ammo cause we arty the stuff you said . [player] says "I didnt say that" so we say ok whatever. then [player] says we cant beat [opponent] and its our fault because we dont have AT or Tanks BUT he told us to focus on Arty ONLY. I say yo [player] leave us alone and he says "i have to micro manage you two"
all that over just a fun game man its pathetic. I tell you cause you like a godfather in the community. you should keep in mind that the real problem with company of heroes isnt the balance of the game its the balance of the community where 90 percent of regular players are taking it WAY too serious and ten percent are having fun. And then look at the hundreds of players who dont play PVP because of this. I have 200 company of hero friends and only about 25 who pvp. that tells you
So anyways, I would like to play with you guys again so please invite me to play I just am no longer going to be going on voice chats with people who are going to berate me. im [removed] years old, got a good life, dont need that negativity being brought in. most guys wont say anything, they just dont PVP

...

two of the guys we normally play with chatted with me and said they avoid playing on [player's] team because of the things he will say if the game goes bad. they figure the only way to deal with the bullshit on company of heroes is to just suck it up
which to a point i agree. but it would be nice if people didnt scare off the new players, or casual players. im so over the number of times that i sit in a lobby only to have one guy decide he wants to kick someone and then there is no game for anyone
i guess everyone is well aware that sometimes there is literally no game to play because of the shunning of new players. i am now past the new player stage but then just the other day I am in a lobby and a guy who is at least as good as me was getting kicked out for being too new
it was a little embarassing to stay n the lobby. then i thought wow now am I one of those people who are pushing people away from this game? this game is ranked as like the BEST RTS ever where are all the players? the game is so awesome there should be way more players. its the nature of the beast i guess, the way online games are, anyways if people can try to be aware that even though its just a game, you might sink thousands of hours into it. so, maybe the environment that you spend those thousands of hours in should be a positive one. i mean it is overall but it could be a lot better. i know this opinion is strongly shared amongst a lot of players. we gotta make sure the game stays alive, that the player base grows not dies. thats all man
feel free to include that with the names changed
I'm not here to embarrass any player or give any names or talk about who said what to who. This is NOT a problem between just two people... this is a WHOLE COMMUNITY effort to solve. Help me out here guys. If you wonder why devs never respond on forum or why things are so slow to change it's because frankly the devs just don't want to deal with us players. It would be better for all of us to just be better to one another and remember as we are playing "it's just a game".

Maybe take on a new player under your wing and teach them. Maybe be willing to accept a loss every now and then so that the new guy can learn. Practice all the patience you have and just be willing to lose because at the end of the day, who cares? Just have fun. I know sometimes it's hard to do this. Sometimes you log on after a long day of hard work in real life and you just want to get a game, win something, re-energize playing and being good at something you've practiced for years. But remember, you've had the gift and luck to have been playing for years. I'm extremely lucky to have played this game when pvp was still new so I've seen early metas where players were just not as strong. There are new players out there who are hopping on to a really mature community for the first time pitted against old veterans. We don't have some matchmaking system for them and honestly it might not even help because of how small our community is already. Sometimes we get angry in the heat of the moment and honestly that's okay. We understand, we are all gamers in a competitive combative game. That's bound to happen. What we can do afterwards is apologize to those who we might have hurt in our raw emotions. I'm sure the other person will understand.

Let's be our best selves and grow the community. Show this mod to friends who never played before. Show them how much better of a game it is compared to all other RTS's. And when those new friends come, let's show them how strong we are a family. I've known you all for years... you guys are like brothers to me. I know a lot of you AREN'T bad or toxic but we need to prove that even more now than ever. We will need to be extra kind for the few who ruin the game for us.

Lastly, if I've EVER been terrible to you as a player in terms of being toxic in game towards your skill, I'm sorry. You can message me and I'm ready to apologize and make it up to you however you feel like you need so that you'd come back as a more satisfied player. I know my faults; I get angry when I drink and game (or just drink in general). I might've shit on you in game but at the end of the day you're still my brother if you're playing bk.

Thanks for reading my plea. As always... send me a message if you're looking to practice or learn BK (I never ended BKNC, I just don't do it so openly) or if you wanna 1v1 on the beta!
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png
Last edited by kwok on 01 May 2020, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CGarr
Posts: 422
Joined: 16 Apr 2018, 21:39

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by CGarr »

You left my name in there (I assume unintentionally), but its fine, I don't mind taking responsibility for the incident. However, I would like to give some context since he is not giving a complete background of how we came to this point and either genuinely misheard me or is actively putting words in my mouth. Whatever the case, I should preface this by saying I do genuinely feel bad for getting mad at this player and one of the 2 others that he mentioned talking to, regardless of whether or not it was deserved.

I'll start by saying that our personalities do not mesh well and I generally try to avoid interacting with either unless they approach me first, and even then I often ignore them because I know that fighting is inevitable if we end up on the same team in a BK match and often happens even when we aren't due to my general dislike of these individuals as people, not players. I've expressed my opinions of them before when asked why I get extremely salty around them, but I guess those statements fell on deaf ears both by those who have asked and the players themselves.

With that being said, I end up playing with these 2 players often, both due to the nature of the beta lacking an active playerbase and because these players often actively reach out to me asking me to play, which is why I'm surprised one took such offense to the things I had said to them that they were willing to make a public statement about it. I am generally patient enough to not make a personal attack someone as a person even if they are making personal attacks on me or are purposefully trying to get under my skin, and that can be seen even in this player's public statement, as I didn't say anything about them as a person.

I criticized them as a players because of their hypocritical nature in regards to how seriously they want me to treat the matches they invited me to. The first (the person who made this complaint) often says they want to keep the games casual, but then proceeds to constantly talk shit as if we were playing competitively and even had the nerve to ask me for help with getting better at the game, knowing that I'd probably be against it because he likes to talk shit and completely disregard people's advice, even stating that the advice is bad without giving a good reason for why they feel that way. Kwok, you know this player and you've seen him do this to even yourself when he first started actively getting into the BK community, this isn't an isolated incident between just him and me.

As for the second player (one of the 2 he mentioned as apparently avoiding playing on my team, not sure if this is true but if it is then I don't know why this player keeps joining my disc asking me to come play with him), I do admit to berating him both in the past and even a few days ago, but I don't think my criticisms were unwarranted. This player constantly flip flops between "just messing around" and wanting to actively beat the enemy team by any means necessary, with playing when everyone agreed to wait since a player was AFK and his constant unwelcome criticisms of myself as a player back when I was first learning how to play BK being prime examples of this. Again Kwok, I know you've seen these interactions yourself because they often happen in games we play with this player, so don't tell me that it's unwarranted to get mad at this player when he invites me to a game that he wants to play competitively and then proceeds to just throw the game and blame it on me a majority of the time. I've had a lot experiences like this with the BK community (I want to name names really badly but I won't), yet I generally don't give in to this kind of shit, but when we're playing on a beta version of the game with the same 8-10 people over and over for months on end, I am going to get toxic if I have to deal with this shit every game.

I apologize for any toxicity I have shown to the members of this community and I agree that toxicity is rampant among BK players, although who would've guessed a community that is inclusive to some actual nazis is toxic? In regards to my mentioning of the first player either misinterpreting what I had said or actively making things up to make himself more credible, I will clear the events disclosed in the message below, feel free to skip:

1. When he says I "made fun of" him, I am going to assume he is referencing my tendency to call him spud since he does stupid shit and insists on not listening to people having just asked their advice. If this is the case, I do admit to this and I acknowledge that this is a shitty thing to say but I've already given context explaining how I generally tend to avoid even playing with this player. I actively avoid him so that I don't end up saying this kind of thing to him, although I definitely still feel the name is appropriate given how our interactions tend to go. If he is referencing anything other than me alluding to his incompetence and stubbornness, then that is just a flat out lie. I don't message this dude unless he messages me first and I don't say anything rude to him other than making the above comparisons between him and a vegetable.

2. In that 3v2, the messages he mentioned regarding arty were very clearly addressed to the third player on our team, again he just doesn't listen to what people are saying at all and then gets mad when that fact ends up biting him in the ass in terms of losing units or making bad plays. He says "we" when he talks about how the third player was also confused about my messages, but he was the only one that was confused and the other player can confirm this if he chooses to do so. The other player is a close friend of mine and said the night after that he left the game early so that the person complaining and I would stop fighting over dumb shit since it was ruining his high, understandably, but aside from leaving he didn't say anything negative during that game. I did say I have to micromanage YOU as in the one player in question, but I did nothing but praise the third player since he's new and wasn't hostile when I talked to him about the different units inf doc has and their abilities.

3. As for the micromanagement statement itself, I said it because he had just talked about stats and wanting to win more games before we started, as well as asking for advice, yet when he got to the actual game he wouldn't take my advice even when I ended up pinging the same unit saying he should get it up to mid. Additionally, we started the game under the impression that everyone was clear on their roles, as I clearly stated that I'd either be going armor doc TD's or just filling in with some kind of AT specialization, our third would be going inf doc and rushing the ranger/arty lines, and sparkes would be spamming 76mm shermans until late game since they're not as punishing as TD's/heavies and we would be going against an opponent that likes to spam tigers. Not even 5 minutes into the game, the player states that he will instead be just playing support while me and the third player 2v2 against a pair that significantly outmatches us in skill due by virtue of how good one of the enemy players is. We immediately asked him why since we had just agreed on roles, yet he didn't say anything about himself going the arty line and I had even doubled down on making sure the plan was clear so that we had a chance to win that game like he wanted to. Still, later on he continued to interpret every message about arty as being directed to him even if I clearly said only the third player should do it. After that, I got salty and started telling him exactly what to do since he said I wasn't clear enough (other player said I was so I don't know what he was on about).

4. I don't know if the statement about the 2 dudes not wanting to play on my team is true as they've never said anything to me about it, but if it is I would like to add that my interactions with one of those 2 players are almost always positive when the person who made the complaint isn't around. However, said person tends to be in the same lobby as us like 90% of the time we interact so their perception of me as a person is probably skewed by me, the original player that complained, and the other player that he mentioned having toxic interactions with eachother for the reasons I described above. As such, I'd understand if he dislikes talking to me, but again he hasn't ever mentioned it to me so I don't know if this is true or just something cooked up to make this complaint seem more valid. If it is, I'll talk to that player in person and apologize, as I do like playing with them and I've only directly gotten mad at them a few times, none of which were warranted and all of which were a result of being around the other more toxic players in this group compounded by my tendency to lash out at people if my patience is pressed for long enough. The other player that was mentioned is at least partially responsible for my toxicity towards himself so I don't really feel guilty, but if he wants an apology then he can ask.

If anyone wants to respond to this, I am open to talk by steam PM or here on this forum about any subject. My steam handle is Dick Malone Johnson. I don't check PM's on the forum often but I try to respond as soon as I see anything directed to me. Again, I apologize to you all but this is an issue regarding the entire community. I was not prompted by anyone to write this, I am doing so of my own volition. I already decided on taking a break from BK aside from when I am invited to play, but after this dramatic shitshow by said unnamed player, I am considering ignoring those invites as well and moving on to another game. I feel that the fact that this post had to be made is an embarrassment to to both this community and my pride as someone who is passionate about helping improve this mod.

User avatar
Krieger Blitzer
Posts: 4117
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 15:53
Location: I'm from Egypt, living in Qatar.
Contact:

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

i don't see why names are hidden... i kinda got lost into the story, who is which?
if there is a toxic player, please provide his nickname so he gets avoided.. or to call him for response.

User avatar
sgtToni95
Posts: 560
Joined: 04 May 2016, 09:50
Location: Italy

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by sgtToni95 »

I'd suggest not to go any further with theese public resolutions. It can be solved privately.

I'm aware of how the community is, and I totally agree there's a lot of toxicity around.

My best advice is: find someone, even just one, you like to play with as a person, before than as a player. I'm almost always playing with my 525 mates: we're real life friends so it's much easier for us to get together but it's helping us avoiding all the toxicity that might come from the game.
It is also making it hard for us to get games, firstly because we're five,so we can't all play together at the same time. We used to play 3v2+1 random but that wasn't working and caused toxicity between us :D
Secondly we often end up hosting 4v4s and those are really hard games to set up properly. Because players wouldn't want to play against 4 teamed up people while having random people playing on their side, and because even among us we don't like the same games: I like some more challenge, even when the odds are against us, while there are others who like it to be a chill game.

The other day we joined the infamous "3v3" hosted by the "community nazis" and one of them started with gratuitous insults, concerning players' mothers, origins, aspects, and telling us to go fuck ourselves i think a hundred times before the game started.
Just by being together with my mates we could just avoid responding to those insults by making fun of him between us, avoiding what i'd call an "evil increase" (if you respond to 1 evil act with 1 evil act, the world will have +2 negativity. If you respond to 1 evil act with 1 positive, world won't at least be any worse).

This is to say, just find a few people who you enjoy playing with and try to play more often with them. I think dank and playbetter can be considered this kind of couple. They're not mates or whatever but they enjoy playing together or against each other for the challenge and i see them still having fun. I think it will make it easier to play the game and have a better and wider community

User avatar
CGarr
Posts: 422
Joined: 16 Apr 2018, 21:39

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by CGarr »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
01 May 2020, 10:30
i don't see why names are hidden... i kinda got lost into the story, who is which?
if there is a toxic player, please provide his nickname so he gets avoided.. or to call him for response.
I left his name out because Kwok chose to when he made the post, although yes I'm aware its hard to read due to the censorship. If a name is dropped then I'll edit my response to make more sense, but until then it's as clear as I can make it.

User avatar
Krieger Blitzer
Posts: 4117
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 15:53
Location: I'm from Egypt, living in Qatar.
Contact:

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Also one thing to spot the lights on; watch out from impersonators.
Steam allows the use of same nicknames.. so take care guys!
i personally don't play the BETA that often unless Kwok invites me to... Or when i want to test something myself.

@CGarr
I have checked all screen-shots, but i don't see any visible names.. unless i'm blind :D

EDIT:
Oh, i saw the quotation Kwok posted.. it includes your nickname once, i think he did that unintentionally.. but still can't see any other names... Excuse me if there is something i missed to see, i'm getting old :P

But hold on.. i think i'm starting to understand the story a bit, was i your opponent in that 2v3 ?? i hope my name isn't involved into this drama though... if i remember correctly, i kept my mouth shut the entire game.. but i assume your team had some inner team-chat drama.
Last edited by Krieger Blitzer on 01 May 2020, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crimax
Posts: 110
Joined: 07 Dec 2014, 16:01

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by crimax »

If I can .... a little suggestion ...
Cause it's only a game, don't take it too much seriously.

Lobby is lobby and since I'm playing this mod (some months after its borne) there is always the stupid somewhere ready to rage against you, in lobby, before game, in game and after.

So nothing realy new.

But what I can't understand is to leave the community for this reasons, it's a personal defeat, expecially if you like to play it (despite any reasons you want).

Bye.
Company Of Heroes is the 'water gun version' of Blitzkrieg Mod" (Heinz Wilhelm Guderian, 1939)

User avatar
idliketoplaybetter
Posts: 307
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 19:55

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by idliketoplaybetter »

Looking for a good person/teammate to quit playing Coh? PM me or add me on steam so we can make it together : D

but to add up on topic, ehm, trash been there forever and will be, though after playing Coh online for years, I still come up to meet new and fun people. And there are still more nice doods than tards.

Just mind where and when your view is aimed to guys.
"You can argue only with like-minded people"

User avatar
Krieger Blitzer
Posts: 4117
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 15:53
Location: I'm from Egypt, living in Qatar.
Contact:

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I would have to agree with SgtToni as i believe such matters should be private.. otherwise it could lead to meaningless fallacies.

kwok
Team Member
Posts: 2166
Joined: 29 Mar 2015, 05:22

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by kwok »

Shit, sorry I didn't properly censor the whole post. I really really really didn't mean to leave a name out hanging. But thanks for owning up to the event and being generally open going forward. And honestly, you really AREN'T the main problem... you AREN'T the worst of the worst. The point of this post isn't to put anyone specific on the courts because the situation was extremely nuanced as mentioned. You're right, i know the players well and every side is understandable in the story. The main thing i wanted to call out on this post isn't a specific dramatic event but to highlight this is a WHOLE COMMUNITY problem.

This particular incident was actually between two of the more decent people in the community... I'm pretty confident that it will be resolved between the two people. And like I said the point isn't to bring the private matter to public. It's the fact that it's an unspoken pattern that happens in an aggregate. The key part of the message to me was this person said it WASN'T just one player but a lot of players. True, that might be the one player's fault maybe their attitude in game leads to toxicity. But, even then does it matter? If someone is being terrible, do we need to fight fire with fire? I'm guilty of doing this and I'm working on it. I know I've definitely shit on people because I thought they were shitting on others. That probably isn't the best way to handle it because it just fuels the shit into a bigger flame.

But I think everyone who has written in this topic so far gets it and are of the better people in the community. I hope others who read it can follow your examples and advice especially since I know you are all pretty good players. Thanks for post all.

User avatar
CGarr
Posts: 422
Joined: 16 Apr 2018, 21:39

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by CGarr »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
01 May 2020, 11:25
Also one thing to spot the lights on; watch out from impersonators.
Steam allows the use of same nicknames.. so take care guys!
i personally don't play the BETA that often unless Kwok invites me to... Or when i want to test something myself.

@CGarr
I have checked all screen-shots, but i don't see any visible names.. unless i'm blind :D

EDIT:
Oh, i saw the quotation Kwok posted.. it includes your nickname once, i think he did that unintentionally.. but still can't see any other names... Excuse me if there is something i missed to see, i'm getting old :P

But hold on.. i think i'm starting to understand the story a bit, was i your opponent in that 2v3 ?? i hope my name isn't involved into this drama though... if i remember correctly, i kept my mouth shut the entire game.. but i assume your team had some inner team-chat drama.
I doubt he said anything about you, you guys were fine. I didn't say anything about you other than mentioning we were playing against a good player and I only mentioned that to give context to why I was frustrated with his inability to listen to advice he asked for. Nobody's name was mentioned other than mine and it looks like that was an accident so again I'm not mad about it, just annoyed that this dumb fight was made public since it's definitely too much of a personal conflict to really be representative of the community. This is just me and some player not getting along well, but he mentioned toxicity in the community in general so it blew up into a public thing with a post.

User avatar
CGarr
Posts: 422
Joined: 16 Apr 2018, 21:39

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by CGarr »

crimax wrote:
01 May 2020, 11:34
If I can .... a little suggestion ...
Cause it's only a game, don't take it too much seriously.

Lobby is lobby and since I'm playing this mod (some months after its borne) there is always the stupid somewhere ready to rage against you, in lobby, before game, in game and after.

So nothing realy new.

But what I can't understand is to leave the community for this reasons, it's a personal defeat, expecially if you like to play it (despite any reasons you want).

Bye.
I only suggested leaving myself because bans were mentioned in the post so apparently my bad relationships with a couple people had enough of a negative impact that it started to affect others in the community like Kwok and one of his friends. I'd only be gone until the beta goes live since currently in the beta (at least in my timezone), one of or both of these 2 people end up being in every single game I play so their character flaws go from something I can ignore to something I either have to point out to the personally or something that just forces me to not play the game since it has become a chore of trying to ignore people I'm forced to communicate with due to the nature of coh team games. It's really not a big deal, I'm not the one that asked for this to get posted, especially not with personal fights included.

User avatar
Krieger Blitzer
Posts: 4117
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 15:53
Location: I'm from Egypt, living in Qatar.
Contact:

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

CGarr wrote:
01 May 2020, 21:38
I doubt he said anything about you, you guys were fine. I didn't say anything about you other than mentioning we were playing against a good player and I only mentioned that to give context to why I was frustrated with his inability to listen to advice he asked for. Nobody's name was mentioned other than mine and it looks like that was an accident so again I'm not mad about it, just annoyed that this dumb fight was made public since it's definitely too much of a personal conflict to really be representative of the community. This is just me and some player not getting along well, but he mentioned toxicity in the community in general so it blew up into a public thing with a post.
Aaaah, alright then.. thx for clarification! :)

Mood
Posts: 46
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 22:39

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Mood »

I assume you define the "blitzkrieg community" as the PvP scene exclusively. I have four friends that play/played this mod for many years and they were always predominantly interested in coop games against the AI, almost never in PvP. Same goes for me, I rarely played PvP but enjoyed coop or single games against Expert AI on various maps over the years. I personally lost interest in PvP games against strangers a long time ago, partially due to the reasons you guys already described in this thread (ie. with "toxic" players"), but also my unfortunate encounter with several cheaters back in the day.

If you abandoned the concept of focusing on the PvP scene only then more players would be interested in partaking in the community at large.
I also recall a poll in the old forum where it was asked how many preferred PvP or PvE and the latter won out with a large margin. So I never understood this focus on PvP only. In my opinion you're just making the community even smaller this way.
If I remember correctly the last person who had focus on PvE as well was Xalibur, so it's by no means something unique for the current team as its predecessors have more or less done the same.

User avatar
TheUndying
Posts: 40
Joined: 11 Aug 2018, 22:55

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by TheUndying »

Mood wrote:
03 May 2020, 19:46
If you abandoned the concept of focusing on the PvP scene only then more players would be interested in partaking in the community at large.
I also recall a poll in the old forum where it was asked how many preferred PvP or PvE and the latter won out with a large margin. So I never understood this focus on PvP only. In my opinion you're just making the community even smaller this way.
If I remember correctly the last person who had focus on PvE as well was Xalibur, so it's by no means something unique for the current team as its predecessors have more or less done the same.
Holy shit I am not alone in being a PvE player!
Yeah I agree, more adjustements to the AI and a tad more PvE focus could probably bring back more people and also help alleviate the toxicity since you don't have to play PvP for the "true" BK experience.

User avatar
mofetagalactica
Posts: 662
Joined: 30 Jan 2017, 11:15

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by mofetagalactica »

I actually just stopped playing cause live version is boring and exploitable while the new updates aren't taking an approach that interest me. As for community just pick someone to teammate with and ignore the rival players i was used to play with new guys and it didn't even bother me, if you're gonna face new players then try playing new modes like domination <avoiding destroying enemy base to give chance to new players and just playing for the points> or bkfunmod.

User avatar
Friendlioni
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Oct 2019, 14:19

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Friendlioni »

Hello everybody

I've started playing BK again lately. I'm locked up home, with this coronavirus situation (I hope you are all fine). So I play from time to time

I'm mostly a brit player. And most of the game are disappointing for me. All the things I disliked before are just worse now.

I would say community is shrinking because there are too much toxic playing style, where fun is specifically not mutual.
Arty spam is only funny for the arty spammers. Camo abuse is only funny for the camo abuser. Position spam can be a nightmare, and is only funny for the builder.
When I'm having a game where I have 0 fun, because I'm being arti spam during 30 minutes, it makes me want to never play BK again.

The current meta seems to be very defensive, and I have to admit I feel powerless on the offensive, especially on narrow maps (Lafiere, road to Cherbourg (which are 90% of the game on the lobby ; because players are very reluctant to play wider maps))

Sometimes, I try to do the same : camoeing AT, and building some howitzers, bunkers and trenches. But this is boring as hell. And Axis artillery is just unbeatable, no kidding, I've tried.

(seriously, someone has to look into the balance of Axis defensive doc 105 field howitzer : this little toy is a beast, firing continuously artillery sniping shells [every 30 seconds maybe ?])

Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe I'm just very bad at BK now. I just miss the time when BK was a real WW2 game, and not a frustating WW1 game

User avatar
Viper
Posts: 473
Joined: 06 Dec 2014, 23:18

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Viper »

Friendlioni wrote:
08 May 2020, 02:10
(seriously, someone has to look into the balance of Axis defensive doc 105 field howitzer : this little toy is a beast, firing continuously artillery sniping shells [every 30 seconds maybe ?])
the american 105 artillery howitzer is just the same...........but maybe you didn't know that because you are typical british only player.

kwok
Team Member
Posts: 2166
Joined: 29 Mar 2015, 05:22

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by kwok »

Viper wrote:
08 May 2020, 04:20
Friendlioni wrote:
08 May 2020, 02:10
(seriously, someone has to look into the balance of Axis defensive doc 105 field howitzer : this little toy is a beast, firing continuously artillery sniping shells [every 30 seconds maybe ?])
the american 105 artillery howitzer is just the same...........but maybe you didn't know that because you are typical british only player.
also not true but off topic.... both friendlioni and viper.

for everyone here: this post isn't about balance of the game. please take that into the balance section of the forum.

User avatar
Snazz
Posts: 10
Joined: 10 Feb 2017, 12:34

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Snazz »

Nice to see some of the hidden PvE crowd speak up, I was going to mention not everyone plays PvP, or online in general.

Even when our friend group plays over Steam it's only among ourselves, the rest of the time it's at LANs (Relic copy forever!).

Dolphins11
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 May 2020, 19:29

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Dolphins11 »

Truth is that flaming and toxicity is not the real issue of the game's shrinking. If someone is taking seriously whatever is being told on the internet or a video game then i cannot imagine what his reaction will be in real life where things are much more serious..

Bk has become boring, every time the same strategy, same formations etc. Additionally, dev's team latest patches have made the game even worse in my personal opinion. I have already analyzed and explained what is wrong with the game now. Unfortunately, could not post them on the forum cause a moderator permanenlty banned me here for no reason at all. I created this account yesterday. I was just supporting myself to the typical b###llshit a specific player threw at me but because he had friends in the administration of bk forum i got banned afterall!

Also the game is more noob friendly now. Dont get me wrong i have nothing with noobs and amateurs. I was one too at some point too. But if a game becomes less skill based then do not expect of pro and veteran players to no quitting the game at some point!

I love this game, at my top 3 games ever. I have maaaany hours playing. Unfortunately, i came to a point that i cannot play this game anymore due to personal reasons and the reasons i mentioned above. I really hope the game will get better in the future and I will support the dev team no matter the differences we may had for the game's sake!!!

DolphinsAreGaySharks

kwok
Team Member
Posts: 2166
Joined: 29 Mar 2015, 05:22

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by kwok »

If I recall, you got banned for this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2278&sid=037bc4fa2 ... 8&start=25

I was curious and went back to check moderation logs and it was essentially the never ending toxicity between you and panzer lehr who was also banned.

Ironically, in the post I referenced you were talking about the henschel which was something we've tried fixing in the beta by making the ability a strafe instead of a patrol... now we're getting direct criticism about how that wasn't good.

When you say that BK became boring, doesn't the beta make it different? What is your analysis? I'd rather it get discussed in forum than tucked away in some personal file.

---BBC---
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Jun 2020, 21:10

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by ---BBC--- »

Hi, im new here in this forum. I was looking for a community because i want to play against humans and not CPU but all i find are skirmish games against KI. This is a waist of time in my opinion. My question therefore is: Are there any tournaments or communitys to join as a new player?

But first of all i want to talk about the topic of this thread, bad behavior of players. This definitely is an issiue! Im was playin starcarft for years, im doing simracing for like 20 years, but i never had so many bad experiences as a noob like here in CoH. Why do so many of the players blame noobs for playin bad??

Second problem: i have only one account, i use it form the start. And my stats are not the best. But i improved a lot. If i join one of the few pvp games i get kicked like always without a "hello" or an explanation. Just get kicked.

See, is love this game, its probably the best RTS ever (ok, starcraft is really great too, but its an APM massacre and totally different). And i want to play, how should i get better if all of you kick me all day long?

I help myself and host 1v1 games and have to wait like forever till someone joins.

Ideas anyone?

User avatar
MarKr
Team Member
Posts: 3239
Joined: 23 Nov 2014, 19:17
Location: Czech Republic

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by MarKr »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The best thing for finding people for PvP would be joining the Discord channel: https://discord.gg/6w3gaj8

You can usually find there people online who will play or agree with them on some time to have a match. ;)
Image

User avatar
Walderschmidt
Posts: 639
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 12:42

Re: The Shrinking Blitzkrieg Mod Community

Post by Walderschmidt »

---BBC--- wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 23:11
Hi, im new here in this forum. I was looking for a community because i want to play against humans and not CPU but all i find are skirmish games against KI. This is a waist of time in my opinion. My question therefore is: Are there any tournaments or communitys to join as a new player?

But first of all i want to talk about the topic of this thread, bad behavior of players. This definitely is an issiue! Im was playin starcarft for years, im doing simracing for like 20 years, but i never had so many bad experiences as a noob like here in CoH. Why do so many of the players blame noobs for playin bad??

Second problem: i have only one account, i use it form the start. And my stats are not the best. But i improved a lot. If i join one of the few pvp games i get kicked like always without a "hello" or an explanation. Just get kicked.

See, is love this game, its probably the best RTS ever (ok, starcraft is really great too, but its an APM massacre and totally different). And i want to play, how should i get better if all of you kick me all day long?

I help myself and host 1v1 games and have to wait like forever till someone joins.

Ideas anyone?
Hi man!

Welcome to the forum.

I’m on at least once a week on weekends. You can almost always find me on the discord.

My steam name is: Walderschmidt
My discord name is: Walderschmidt#5120

Add me and let’s play!

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Locked