laptop lag

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
Kasbah

laptop lag

Post by Kasbah »

Hi,

2 mates bought 2 different brand new laptops (both with windows 8.1, core i5, and gtx graphic card...) and both are barely unable to play the game even on lowest settings and offline. They can start the game but then they have a horrific lag. The drivers are OK, and we tried configuring the nvidia control planel settings, so BK is supposed to run correctly but we didn't find a solution after several hours searching on the internet.

Any idea?

Thanks
Last edited by Kasbah on 25 Sep 2015, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Krieger Blitzer

Re: laptop fps

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Check if they have installed the correct VGA drivers...

Edit:-
Kasbah wrote:The drivers are OK

Hmm, if the drivers are ok.. then honestly idk! ^^

MarKr
Team Member

Re: laptop lag

Post by MarKr »

Have you tried launching the game in compatibility mode (Win7/ WinXP?) What graphics card do they have? I have Lenovo G580 (i3 3110M (dual core/4threads), 4GB RAM, NVidia Geforce GT 635M (2GB memory), Win7 64bit.)I cannot run the game at max details but generally around high and medium settings quite fluently...

Also have you tried change battery settings (right) click on the batery icon in the tray -> power management -> here you can choose between "Low performance (but saving energy)/ Balanced performance/High Performance" It is usually set to Balanced which still saves evergy but performance of processor is somehow lowered. Try setting it to High Performance.

and we tried configuring the nvidia control planel settings
Just to be sure - have you set in the nvidia control panel to use the Nvidia card for the game? Intel processors have integrated graphics and sometimes the laptop assigns the processor graphics to some program (game) but the standalone graphics would give much better performance.

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

Hi,

Much appreciated answers, thank you very much to both.
This is the point Markr,I have myself an old pc (core duo, hd 5550 graphics) and I can run the game on mid settings fluently on every map but my mates cannot. I don't know exactly their specs, I will post them asap, although they have both core i5 and a good graphic card. (Their laptops are on the 500-600 euro range)

We tried performance battery and nvidia settings in order to use the nvidia card for the game, this was our main concern as we were sure the game was using the dedicated card. This said, we will try again because the computer of one of my mates worked perfectly with windows 8, until windows 8.1 came out...

We will keep trying and let you know.

Thanks again

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

I use i7, 8GB RAM, GeForce 635M 2GB, Win 8.1 laptop, and I can play pvp on ultra setting without any problem.

The only had 2 issues:

1. The screen in my broadcasting was black, also I think that my replays were all black. Someone told me, I dont remember who :(, to switch my dx to 9. It solved all black screen problems and made game running even smoother.

2. My game starts lagging like hell if I have more than 2 AI bots on the map. But I guess it's because of the engine limitations.

So from my side, try to switch ur dx settings.

In the file "local.ini" in /documents/My Games/Company of Heroes Relaunch
change:

Code: Select all

screendevice=DirectX10 Rendering Device

to:

Code: Select all

screendevice=DirectX9 Rendering Device

Hope it helpes ;)

Also if you are a geek type (does that make me a geek type?), u can take a look into "warnings.log" file. I found very interesting things there, like how many physical memory your game can use

GAME -- Available memory: 8069MB Physical RAM, 2816MB Pagefile, 4095 Virtual Address Space

Oh I have always been sure that CoH can't use multithreading!

00:12:04.72 8 Logical Processors detected
00:12:04.72 Multithreading Enabled
00:12:04.72 THREAD: Hyper-Threading Technology Processors are not detected.
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Detected 8 core(s) with 8 hardware thread(s)
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Main thread now used as XThread 0
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Spawned thread on processor 1
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Spawned thread on processor 2
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Spawned thread on processor 3
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Spawned thread on processor 4
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Spawned thread on processor 5
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Spawned thread on processor 6
00:12:04.72 XTHREAD: Spawned thread on processor 7

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

Thanks a lot mate, I am going to tell them, we try, and we let you know.

And glad to know that playing vs more than 2 AI (3 if it is a medium map) is also a nightmare for you. Maybe this is also a problem because we were trying skirmishes against 2-3 AI and the lag was ...well. It started OK but after several minutes they had like 30 sec, and even one minute.

Anyway, thx again.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

me and my mates had a lot of trouble with "gaming Laptops". We will never buy a laptop to play games again, even when their hardware seems to be better than those of a tower PC. The main prob that causes lagging etc was the lacking cooling. The laptops got hot a lot faster than a tower PC (esspecially when those are home made with lots of air circulation). A mate once had a laptop that had a lot better hardware than my old pc had but he couldnt play games much better than i could.

Later he bought a "cooling plate/pad" which was put under the laptop and which did provide a lot more and better cooling. That helped to increase his laptops peformence again but still he switched back to normal tower PC´s. All of the guys ive met and who played with laptops do prefer playing with tower PC´s whenever possible.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

When I was little I had a stationary pc, but for around 12 years I use only laptops for gamming. I never had any exceptional hardware problems. Cooling is an issue sometimes, but still I prefer mobility over better performance (only the newest and most demanding games like Witcher 3 are lagging for me).

Still, for Bk it's perfect - and this is what matters!!! :D

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

Same than Warhawks here. Experience has proven me that a tower pc with worse specs than a laptop can perform better and smoother. And if you have a laptop and a tower pc with the exact same specs, the tower pc will perform better.
I think cooling is an important issue but still, my mates should have some configuration problems because it's not normal that they are not able to play medium maps 3vs3 (AI) like St Hillaire, in low settings with a core I5 and a decent graphic card while I am able with a core 2 and hd5550 tower pc.

Will check soon!